DLC 2 is hard are heck

They made it so every hit you take reduces your max hp and eventually the liberator trick doesn't work.

I think I have to actually get an OP build but I really don't understand the gear systems. I imagine many builds have been nerfed to hell now too.

Anyone know how gear works?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MakoSOLIDER said:

They made it so every hit you take reduces your max hp and eventually the liberator trick doesn't work.

I ran into this problem, too. 
My mistake was relying on Liberator's Mighty Guard Mastery passive. Use the Runic Protection command ability instead (in combination with Extra Mode). As long as it's active, you don't have your HP reduced by attacks. Hope this helps.

Edited by Zayne7_
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zayne7_ said:

I ran into this problem, too. 
My mistake was relying on Liberator's Mighty Guard Mastery passive. Use the Runic Protection command ability instead (in combination with Extra Mode). As long as it's active, you don't have your HP reduced by attacks. Hope this helps.

This helped so much thanks! Eventually extra mode is disabled though ?

How is the DLC? Is it the same as DLC 1 with just 2 new boss fights and having to fight against the same story enemies and bosses again? Or is there actually some new stuff?

Edited by Baker

5 minutes ago, Baker said:

How is the DLC? Is it the same as DLC 1 with just 2 new boss fights and having to fight against the same story enemies and bosses again? Or is there actually some new stuff?

Nope it's what you said. Same old same old

Edited by MakoSOLIDER
  • Like 1

Yeah, this one's gonna be much tougher than the previous DLC. Working on builds now for a guide with Xillynoc. I'm not entirely sure if there is a new cheese method that will work (if there is, I haven't found it). So I think we will need to start creating builds to get through some of the harder challenges.

Character levels, job levels, and equipment levels are the easiest answer but you have to limit break your way to the new maxes. The second-most important piece I think is going to be passives from job affinity. Paladin's 400% affinity gives immunity to status effects, for example. Between the ability to dump master points into affinity and craft equipment I'm hopeful that we'll be able to find a build that doesn't involve grinding out equipment for hours and hours.

But as others have mentioned, it's pretty much just recycled assets with randomized elements and difficulty modifiers. It does feel pretty lazy and hard for the sake of being hard.

Just to get back on how gear works (this is just from my memory since I played recently):

- The more rare the better stats (some lower level are better than higher if they have better rarity rank)

- Gear had affinity bonus for jobs, with latest gear you have like 2 jobs for a piece of equipment, the idea is to get 400% (or at least the bonus you want), for as many jobs as you can that can power up the job you are using (in other words, if you play Sage, check the affinity bonuses of the other jobs that goes well with Sage, and equip gear that will boost that)

- Chaos affinity! I don't remember what this does... you get this in gear post game

- Evocation/Ultima affinity: This boosts the passives you get from you chosen DLC 1 tree. I guess get it as high as you can for the Tree you are using (Ex: you are using Demon Lord then get as much gear with Ultima affinity as you can)

- You can upgrade affinity at the Smithy

- You can also change/upgrade bonus stats of equipment at the smithy (so get the bonus that will be useful for you job and upgrade them?)

- You can raise you equipment level up to 5 at the smithy (More stats I guess?)

That's pretty much what I remember... never used the smithy. I just used to hit optimized equipment...

As for DLC 2 stuff, I haven't touched that for now... maybe this weekend

Edited by oYazmat

On 10/26/2022 at 8:50 AM, Baker said:

That is so lazy. I wish I hadn’t bought the season pass. I’ll skip it for now then..

Thanks.

So the season pass isn't worth it? ...damn I literally just put the game and the season pass in my cart, gonna wait and see then.

6 minutes ago, Sunnyburrito said:

So the season pass isn't worth it? ...damn I literally just put the game and the season pass in my cart, gonna wait and see then.

Totally not worth it imo. For me this is a fine example of a pure cash grab. I think Square Enix already knew all DLC’s would be shit so they made sure you can’t buy them separately. Otherwise nobody would buy DLC 2&3 after that ridiculous DLC 1. ?

I would wait until all DLC is released and grab the season pass on a deep sale if you’re interested in 100%.

Edit: I did really enjoy the main game. 

Edited by Baker

24 minutes ago, Sunnyburrito said:

Hmmm it kinda depends on how much you like grinding for the end game? Stranger feels like a very poor and unbalanced imitation of Nioh and while a playthrough on normal to experience the story and kick some ass to final fantasy monsters is actually pretty fun, the end game is horrible. 

Like MakoSoldier said the systems are badly explained in the game itself so you need to rely on some guides to make a brokenish build just to get through the latter difficulty spikes. And even then most of those builds are just gimmick builds to quickly clear monsters or bosses. While in Nioh, you could beat bosses by relying on learining patterns and just leveling your gear, this game is centered less on skill and more on gimmicks. 

I suggest maybe watching some vids of people playing dlc 1 or 2 so you can see if the grind is worth it?

Edited by Laozuli

1 hour ago, Baker said:

Totally not worth it imo. For me this is a fine example of a pure cash grab. I think Square Enix already knew all DLC’s would be shit so they made sure you can’t buy them separately. Otherwise nobody would buy DLC 2&3 after that ridiculous DLC 1. 1f602.png

I would wait until all DLC is released and grab the season pass on a deep sale if you’re interested in 100%.

Edit: I did really enjoy the main game. 

Well to be honest I wasn't interested in this game at all, but it's Final Fantasy so I want to platinum even if it's a turd on fire, I thought the DLCs were more areas along with the new classes...kind of a let down, actually what changed my mind was The Warrior of Light, meh will wait for a sale then, thanks for the honest thoughts.

52 minutes ago, Laozuli said:

Hmmm it kinda depends on how much you like grinding for the end game? Stranger feels like a very poor and unbalanced imitation of Nioh and while a playthrough on normal to experience the story and kick some ass to final fantasy monsters is actually pretty fun, the end game is horrible. 

Like MakoSoldier said the systems are badly explained in the game itself so you need to rely on some guides to make a brokenish build just to get through the latter difficulty spikes. And even then most of those builds are just gimmick builds to quickly clear monsters or bosses. While in Nioh, you could beat bosses by relying on learining patterns and just leveling your gear, this game is centered less on skill and more on gimmicks. 

I suggest maybe watching some vids of people playing dlc 1 or 2 so you can see if the grind is worth it?

I mean I've been playing JRPGs my entire life so I'm no stranger to obnoxious grind, was the classes and what not fun to play? The battle system I mean, on videos and trailers it looked pretty sweet.

45 minutes ago, Sunnyburrito said:

I mean I've been playing JRPGs my entire life so I'm no stranger to obnoxious grind, was the classes and what not fun to play? The battle system I mean, on videos and trailers it looked pretty sweet.

The first 5 to 10h are fun since you will just experiment with the classes and abilities but then the game just overstays its welcome. It feels like a low budget game due to the fact that there are limited levels and monster types. So you will be farming a lot of the same monsters over and over again.

If I compare it with Nioh again, I minded the grind way less in those two games since they have better mechanics, plenty of different enemies and is generally better balanced. In Stranger I just wanted to have the grind over asap. 

If it wasn't for the fancy steelbook it came with at launch, I would probably have skipped this game :D

Edited by Laozuli

Still working on the guide for all this with xTOTHORO...not encouraging that a lot of the strategy/advice I've seen is "find a better player to co-op with" ? according to Tentativeuser, even the most optimal builds (like Laozuli's above) are basically one-shot by every monster you have to deal with after floor 21, regardless of strats like maintaining a constant Protect and Shell barrier combo, so it seems like it comes down to luck and/or skill...don't suppose anyone's found something more effective since? We do have a couple 100%ers already, so clearly it can be done.

Edited by Xillynoc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xillynoc said:

Still working on the guide for all this with xTOTHORO...not encouraging that a lot of the strategy/advice I've seen is "find a better player to co-op with" 1f605.png according to Tentativeuser, even the most optimal builds (like Laozuli's above) are basically one-shot by every monster you have to deal with after floor 21, regardless of strats like maintaining a constant Protect and Shell barrier combo, so it seems like it comes down to luck and/or skill...don't suppose anyone's found something more effective since? We do have a couple 100%ers already, so clearly it can be done.

Not every monster will one shot you, but typically any dangerous attack will. From my experience getting the 100%, every viable build is a glass cannon (particularly in the later floors) and a build's effectiveness will vary depending on player skill. Fortunately, there is not much enemy or boss variety in this game and they behave in very predictable patterns. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Laozuli said:

The first 5 to 10h are fun since you will just experiment with the classes and abilities but then the game just overstays its welcome. It feels like a low budget game due to the fact that there are limited levels and monster types. So you will be farming a lot of the same monsters over and over again.

If I compare it with Nioh again, I minded the grind way less in those two games since they have better mechanics, plenty of different enemies and is generally better balanced. In Stranger I just wanted to have the grind over asap. 

If it wasn't for the fancy steelbook it came with at launch, I would probably have skipped this game :D

Thanks for the tip, almost bought the whole thing season pass and all at full price lol

I'll wait for the DLCs to end and get the bundle on a discount.

Edited by Sunnyburrito