Games You Want, But the Trophies Deterred You

kkulifay

2 hours ago, StraightVege said:

I can only think of one at the moment: Devil May Cry 5. I'm sure I could platinum it with enough practice, considering my extensive experience with the series, but I just don't want the stress right now. Give me games anywhere between 1 and 7 on the difficulty scale all day.

I have had that game on my wishlist for a while. I'm planning to grab it sometime and to make it a milestone.

You really should play Bayonetta, if you're into Devil May Cry. Both even have the same creator: that bald dude who likes to block people on Twitter if they ever tweet to him in English, even journalists. Truth be told, I got blocked, too. ?

• Like 1

@zizimonster  Haha, classic Kamiya behavior. If you haven't heard Matthew's story yet, I recommend it; it's hilarious.

I'll consider it! Something about the style of it never piqued my interest, dunno why.

Anyway, I'll be back to give ya some rep when it recharges. ?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

I never understood this true gamer argument. What's a true gamer? Who or what decides that? Are there any special criteria you need to meet so you can be considered a true gamer? Can you apply this to other hobbies as well, like true book reader, true film watcher, true anything? 

I'm gonna guess that people don't avoid reading a book or watching movies that they think look good because of some external factor that 99% of people don't care about, if they think that the book or movie is going to be enjoyable to them then there's no pressure regarding watching or reading it, unlike trophies where people in this community have demonstrated that they avoid entire game experiences regardless of how good the game is because of trophies being a factor. If people's completion rate is more important than having fun then it's their loss. Some people are so far gone in this community that they can't have fun in a game because the trophies are difficult or unobtainable when the option is there for them to use a different account or platform to play the game. 

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 1

Trophies may alter the order I play games, but i have never skipped a game I'm interested in due to trophies or lack of a plat. I just don't understand that. If your profile completion is that important, I get playing on an alternate profile or a different platform, but if you're skipping games you were interested in entirely, due to trophies, are you playing for the games or just for the trophies? Sorry if this comes off as confrontational, but I don't understand that at all.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Moridin83 said:

Trophies may alter the order I play games, but i have never skipped a game I'm interested in due to trophies or lack of a plat. I just don't understand that. If your profile completion is that important, I get playing on an alternate profile or a different platform, but if you're skipping games you were interested in entirely, due to trophies, are you playing for the games or just for the trophies? Sorry if this comes off as confrontational, but I don't understand that at all.

Not confrontational at all. Well said actually. Admittedly, I get way too trophy-centric and I’ve lost the meaning of playing a game merely to enjoy it as a simple pastime activity. Definitely my loss. 

Returnal is a terrific example. The game looks phenomenal! It’s available on PS Plus Extra and I should engross myself in that title. I’ve been avoided it for the wrong reason and I own that due to a mental barrier that I won’t be able to plat it. I’m a casual gamer, not a “true gamer” so I don’t know what I’m trying to prove lol? 

• Like 1

I'd be missing out on far too many good games if I was deterred by trophies. Most of the games I play don't even have trophies.

I'm such a lazy shit anyway that I'll actively ignore trophies in some games if I glance at a trophy guide and it mentions the plat will require 2+ playthroughs. Unless the game is different enough in different playthroughs (e.g. Nier), short-ish, or VERY enjoyable enough to play again (and then possibly again), I'm not wasting my time on that nonsense.

I also tend to immediately give up on a plat before I've even started a game if I notice the dreaded "online trophies" in a guide.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2022 at 7:14 AM, Sergen said:

Some people are so far gone in this community that they can't have fun in a game because the trophies are difficult or unobtainable when the option is there for them to use a different account or platform to play the game. 

As for myself, I’ve never ruled out the possibility of making a 2nd account if I ever wanted to play a game that have unobtainable trophies, but currently there are no games that have unobtainable trophies that I want to prioritize playing over the games that I do wanna play that still have obtainable trophies. Also, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with just putting all your focus on your main account even if the option of playing a game with an unobtainable trophy on a 2nd account is there.

Edited by Lum