What series are the most impressive to trophy hunt?

Rebourne07

On 11/18/2022 at 10:27 PM, Spider-Man916 said:

After reading through most of the responses here and giving it some thought and of course my own almost 12 years of gaming and trophy hunting experience, here are my picks:

1. Final Fantasy.  A few reasons why this is my number 1.  Final Fantasy XIII (my favorite game ever) was my first platinum and the first game that got me into trophy hunting.  Heck, my very first trophy that I ever earned was from that game.  The platinum took me 261 hours, 5 minutes, 29 seconds.  (Damn save files that have to show the amount of time played.  I think we would all be better off maybe not knowing.)  That was my first platinum and the first JRPG/RPG I ever played and my first Final Fantasy.  261 hours!  I played XIII-2 and LR: FF XIII (XIII-3).  They each took about 100 hours or more.  Now how many Final Fantasies are there?  I don't know.  20?  Maybe more than 20 with a platinum to earn.  And don't forget the two MMOs.  XI and XIV.  To platinum all of them legit....how many hours?  3,000?  4,000?  More?  That's why I would say the toughest series to platinum/100% every game would have to be Final Fantasy.

2. Rockstar Games series or even just the GTA series.  Take your pick.  Same reason.  Time.  A lot of time.  And some of them are not so easy.  If we look at the GTA series alone and consider difficulty and grind, we can look no further than GTA IV.  GTA IV is notorious among trophy hunters.  The difficulty.  The time.  The patience.  The online grind we have all heard about and the glitches.  GTA V is also a huuuge grind.  I know.  I just platinumed it.  336 hours and change.  Over 2 weeks of my life.  Shall we extend this to all or most all Rockstar games?  Red Dead Redemption.  That was another 300+ hour grind for the 100%.  From what I have heard RDR2 is no different.  And the other GTAs that have a platinum?  None of them are quick, easy or straight-forward.  All of them are a grind. 

3. FromSoftware or Soulsbourne series.  Someone just completed an entire no-hit playthrough of all seven FromSoftware games - Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 thru 3, Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and Elden Ring.  Incredible!  Some years ago, I 100%ed Bloodborne.  It was my first Soulsbourne experience and it wasn't easy.  At all.  As far as time goes, I don't know my exact time to 100%, but north of 100 hours I can say with certainty.  I'm now playing Demon's Souls.  The original on the good old PS3.  I'm getting my ass kicked and I'm sure I'm in for close to 200 hours for this platinum.  I have more than 20 hours in and have defeated 5 or 6 bosses.  So add the grinding and all and 150 to 200 hours might be right.  So for long grind (your typical 100+ hour RPG) plus the difficulty, I'm impressed by anyone who has platinumed/100%ed every Soulsbourne game.

4. Lego games.  Yes.  Lego.  As someone else already mentioned, they aren't really difficult.  Actually, they're quite easy and fun.  BUT....they are a bit of a grind.  Not your typical 100+ hour RPG grind.  No.  Not at all.  I have maybe 5 or 6 or 7 Lego plats under my belt.  I forget how many and I'm not looking at my profile now.  On average, I would say they take about 25 to 30 hours to platinum.  However, there are A LOT of Lego games.  20+?  Maybe 30+?  Let's say 30 hours each to platinum.  And let's say there are right now an even 20 Lego titles.  That's a minimum of 600 hours.  That is a LOT of time.  Anyone who has every Lego platinum has my respect. 

'Nuff said.

There are 26 unique FF lists and none of them are FF1-6 (yet) or 11 {not happening).

Also got my first trophy in FFXIII ??

https://psnprofiles.com/MakoSOLIDER?search=Final fantasy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MakoSOLIDER said:

There are 26 unique FF lists and none of them are FF1-6 (yet) or 11 {not happening).

Also got my first trophy in FFXIII 1f44d-1f3fe.png

https://psnprofiles.com/MakoSOLIDER?search=Final fantasy

Ah okay.  Thank you for the info.  Yeah.  I wasn't sure about XI.  Hey!  Your first trophy was from FF XIII as well.  Very cool! ??

• Like 1

Souls/FromSoftware Games in general: Almost all of them are about a 7/10 or higher in difficulty. I suppose some are slightly easier than that if you have a good co-op partner. 

SMT Persona: A variety of genres and a big-time commitment. Getting all 3 trophy lists for Persona 5 (Vanilla, Royal PS4, Royal PS5) takes a really long time.

Final Fantasy: There is so many of them. Even completing half of them between core titles and spinoffs is extremely impressive.

Lego: If somebody has a lot of Lego games completed that's quite impressive. They are very grindy and tedious at times.

Marvel vs. Capcom: I've heard some get insanely difficult and really long.

Street Fighter: Same reason as Marvel vs. Capcom

• Like 1

I have carefully read the comments on this topic. It is curious that no one has mentioned any of the titles that I am about to highlight.

On 10/27/2022 at 5:47 AM, Rebourne07 said:

Say you check someone's profile and they have all the trophies in xyz series. What series are the most impressive to you either for time or difficulty or sheer number of games?

Games that I personally find impressive to see 100% complete? They would definitely be...

Ace Combat Infinity: Cool game but with a lot of work attached to the trophies. In addition, currently unobtainable.

Bionic Commando Rearmed: An action platformer that requires true perfection in the movements. Playing -and beating- both the higher difficulty modes and the challenges is proof that you are an extremely dedicated and skilled player.

Don't Starve: Playing -and surviving- in sandbox mode is quite a milestone, but successfully completing adventure mode is already on another level.

Far Cry 2: Some of the gameplay mechanics of this title were new and refreshing at the time. On the other hand, getting all the multiplayer trophies was a very heavy and grindy task.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: Just one word: Hardcore.

Mighty No. 9: Another action platformer here. Between the bugs with some trophies involved and getting through the entire game without dying, this title prevented many people from completing it 100% or even daring to touch it with a stick.

Mirror's Edge: One of my favorite games of the PlayStation 3 generation. However, the time trials were responsible for a large number of players never reaching 100% in the trophy list and therefore neither this precious platinum.

Mortal Kombat 9: Being forced to play 24 hours of real time with each of the characters -an entire month in total- in order to unlock a trophy, among other annoying and grindy requirements, made Mortal Kombat one of the most fry-console games of the generation.

Resogun: Hard to complete in the upper difficulty. Fun game by the way.

Shadow of the Colossus [only PS3 edition]: I will always vehemently love this wonderful work of art. Nevertheless, the PS3 version is a nightmare when it comes to time trials on hard difficulty.

Split/Second: A really fun and original racing game for which its title says it all; winning some races will be a matter of thousandths of a second.

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars: Fun and crazy in equal measure, but it gets frustrating as you progress through the challenge section.

Vanquish: Great game. Fun and blisteringly fast and fluid. If it weren't for THAT trophy... Beating the challenges in this game and unlocking the related trophy is something worth mentioning when you go to a job interview; there is no doubt that you know how to work under pressure.

Note 1: The games I picked are listed alphabetically, but the most notable ones would be Bionic Commando Rearmed, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and Vanquish.

Note 2: Special mention to Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us in their respective multiplayer modes. Overseer, Collector and Hoarder trophies were hard to get in Uncharted 3 and the two downloadable content map packs in The Last of Us were slightly more difficult in the PS3 than in the PS4 version.

Note 3: Both Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 could have been on my list, but in the end I decided to skip both games. Although that doesn't mean they weren't difficult to complete 100% due to all the downloadable content for the multiplayer modes. Lots of trophies there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Desavenencia said:

Mortal Kombat 9: Being forced to play 24 hours of real time with each of the characters -an entire month in total- in order to unlock a trophy, among other annoying and grindy requirements, made Mortal Kombat one of the most fry-console games of the generation.

Thanks bro. I platinum’d Mortal Kombat 9 twice ?

6 hours ago, Desavenencia said:

• Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: Just one word: Hardcore.

Yes. I got MGS2, 3, 4 and 5 platinum, but I’m a bit scared of Rising. Might stay in the backlog forever. ?

And to add to the topic;

Street Fighter

Marvel vs Capcom

JRPG’s

Catherine

Edited by ippikitako
  • Like 1