Confused about all the COD MW games ? Read this

3 hours ago, JeManquedHygiene said:

I unfortunately skipped the classes to get a Call of Duty PhD, and the weird naming conventions of the Modern Warfare saga were getting me increasingly confused. There's no way I'm the only one. So to anyone still struggling, here is a complete summary I've just made for myself, with related trophy lists :

• Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is the 1st game of the COD MW saga, released on PS3 in 2007. It doesn't have any trophy, due to lack of trophy support back then. If you want it in your collection, however, you can complete Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered instead. It was released on PS4 in 2016 and features only the remastered campaign of the game.

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is the 3rd game of the series. It was released on PS3 in 2011. No remaster as of yet, so this game is only playable on PS3 as far as I know. Platinum still obtainable.

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is the 4th game of the series. It was released on PS4 in 2019. It is a reboot of the original COD MW from 2007 (not a remaster), which means it is an entirely different game.

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (notice the "II" in Roman numerals instead of "2") is the 5th game of the series, and the one that just came out. It was released on October 28th 2022 on PS4/5. It is also a completely different game from the original COD MW 2.

Hope that helps. Also, feel free to comment if I got anything wrong.

Call of Duty Modern Modern Warfare will be not far away lmao. 

• Like 2

why would you name the game twice dont care if its II 2 or still the same name its bush league!!! Its like a movie opens and its the same name thats called a remake! Name a game the same name?? why just put 3 or can they count that high ... So the next game will be called the same but with the 2 in a new style lol

4 hours ago, Baranov_925 said:

I don't feel confused, but I don't understand why they didn't name it COD MW5 or V, do they think gamers can't count that high? 

Its a Reboot not a continuation. They wouldn't even be able to use half the charecters if that was the case.

But I do agree the naming is lazy and used just to use the name recognition of the old game to bring nostalgia.

• Like 1

To be fair, anyone is new to the series might be confused, so this post has some benefit to new gamers or trophy hunters. After all, the forums are a platform that includes helping others, so nice work OP! :wub::gold:

Edited by StygianWolf4
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, StygianWolf4 said:

To be fair, anyone is new to the series might be confused, so this post has some benefit to new gamers or trophy hunters. After all, the forums are a platform that includes helping others, so nice work OP! :wub::gold:

Thanks ! I certainly didn't anticipate all those comments but oh well. ?

I reckon this might be a useless thread for seasoned COD players, but obviously this was not meant for them.

29 minutes ago, JeManquedHygiene said:

Thanks ! I certainly didn't anticipate all those comments but oh well. 1f602.png

I reckon this might be a useless thread for seasoned COD players, but obviously this was not meant for them.

The comments criticising you suck ass. Yeah once you understand it's easy but if you're just new to gaming or new to cod it's not like you don't have to do a bit of research and a bunch of google searches to get your head around it, not to mention if any of them are unobtainable platinums or not which you have nicely laid out

Yeah, honestly they should have followed black ops and drop the numbers in favor of a fitting subtitle. The last modern warfare made sense as the original was called cod 4 modern warfare(only dropping the 4 with the remaster) but mw II needed something other then replacing a number with a roman numeral.

19 minutes ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Wait 2 more years, and you'll get to see the same happen with Madden NFL 25, since they name the 2014 release as 25.

Already happened with god of war, ratchet & clank, Doom, Saints row and few more. Don't like it but it is what it is.

• Like 2