Platinum percentage

aaroncharles

I got to say after putting 200+ plus hours and 4 playthroughs (currently on 5th)the game is a masterpiece! I just had to say that! Difficulty of souls games… well they are one of the hardest games out there to learn and to complete but one of the easiest plats! Once you learn the mechanics and the way you’re supposed to play you already have the plat pretty much! Which is the opposite of let’s say DMC5 very easy game to finish but the plat is a whole another story!

• 3 months later...
On 11/1/2022 at 6:08 AM, aaroncharles said:

How is this game a 7/10 difficulty with over 43% of people obtaining the platinum? Is it really that difficult?

That 43% is only the PSNProfiles percentage. The actual platinum percentage is currently 10.7%. If you're a fan of Soulsborne games (Dark Souls 1-3, Demon's Souls etc.) then Elden Ring actually isn't that difficult. The only other one I've played is Demon's Souls but from what I heard, Elden Ring is easiest Soulsborne game.  When it comes to the platinum, a lot of the trophies are just for defeating bosses which is one of the main purposes of playing the game to begin with. That's why all those trophies have relatively high obtain rate.

I don't understand why we're arguing about which Souls Elden ring is the easiest when everyone agrees that Elden ring IS the easiest Fromsoftware game (except for Déraciné, but everyone prefers to forget that demo) 

Unlike its big brothers, Elden ring offers a wider choice of gameplay possibilities besides horseback combat, so old players don't need to learn how to play the game. If the new player doesn't like their stats, they can go to Rennala to reassign them and they can afford to misuse those weapons as there is no equipment wear and tear.

If the new player finds that he doesn't have the level, he can easily go to Mohg's zone to kill the corpses that don't fight back, by killing them all you can earn almost 15 000 runes which is still interesting when you're over lvl 100. It's still better than in Dark souls 2 where the enemies don't reappear when you kill them 10 times ?

What many readers don't seem to know is that game time counts in the difficulty rating and in this category Elden ring beats its big brothers by far. I've exceeded 100H of play while I'm only 30% of the trophies, for bloodborne I had barely reached 75H to get my platinum. A game that is too long can put some people off.

13 minutes ago, Germignion said:

I don't understand why we're arguing about which Souls Elden ring is the easiest when everyone agrees that Elden ring IS the easiest Fromsoftware game (except for Déraciné, but everyone prefers to forget that demo) 

no one is, as far as I can tell.

If anything, there was a side-bar discussing the difficulty of Sekiro, as compared to the Soulsborne games - but no one was arguing that Elden Ring was more difficult.

The question was about the perceived mismatch between the specific difficulty of Elden Ring cited the guide, and the rarity of its platinum... a dissonance arising due to the general misconception that rarity is directly related to difficulty.

Which, of course, it isn't. 

Also, Déraciné was a'ight - I liked it, at least!

Edited by DrBloodmoney

On 1.11.2022 at 11:08 AM, aaroncharles said:

How is this game a 7/10 difficulty with over 43% of people obtaining the platinum? Is it really that difficult?

Because it's a very easy game. I myself would have got platinum in this game if I didn't find the setting childish and ugly.

I was pretty liberal with using the co-op feature which had a kind of camaraderie I've not typically felt in other multiplayer (years of Overwatch toxicity will do that to you I suppose >_>  )

THAT SAID, I nearly got fucked when the game glitched out on me by doing an infinite spawn in the boss arena for Dragonlord Placidusax, when I stumbled upon him by accident while exploring Farum Azula. Each time it killed me, I spawned right back into the boss start & my mage/Moonveil setup wasn't optimised enough for a boss like that. Had to kill it on through the attrition of git gud old school style. That was probably the peak FromSoftware moment of gameplay for me in ER. 

Edited by Eraezr

• 3 weeks later...

I will say this, I have never really enjoyed soulborne games before, but when I played this, I must fell in love with the style.

I love the fact that if you struggle with a boss, you Can just go do something different entirely and come back with better gear and weapons and try again.

after I platinumed this I went straight to bloodborne and platiniumed it and had an amazing time with that also, elden ring from my experience was easier than bloodborne, but both games were challenging enough and overall it was a great time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah the percentage is crazy. I've played other FromSoftware titles and Elden Ring is pretty much just as hard, especially towards the end IF you tend to do everything. What can make it easier is the open world where you can simply flee or choose to do something else. And of course the ashes. Nevertheless for new players this is till a tough game and I can't really explain the high percentage. According to it, it is easier or on the same level than/as Assassins's Creed, Uncharted, God Of War, The Last Of Us, any Resident Evil part, Ghost of Tsushima, any Far Cry title etc. This is beyond me.

How the heck do Ghost of Tsushima and Elden Ring share the same percentage?! Considering the fact that Elden Ring was not just sold to hardcore fans of Dark Souls, this IS very weird. Yeah I know, auto pop and such give a different picture but still.

Edited by Gommes_
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

Yeah the percentage is crazy. I've played other FromSoftware titles and Elden Ring is pretty much just as hard, especially towards the end IF you tend to do everything. What can make it easier is the open world where you can simply flee or choose to do something else. And of course the ashes. Nevertheless for new players this is till a tough game and I can't really explain the high percentage. According to it, it is easier or on the same level than/as Assassins's Creed, Uncharted, God Of War, The Last Of Us, any Resident Evil part, Ghost of Tsushima, any Far Cry title etc. This is beyond me.

How the heck do Ghost of Tsushima and Elden Ring share the same percentage?! Considering the fact that Elden Ring was not just sold to hardcore fans of Dark Souls, this IS very weird. Yeah I know, auto pop and such give a different picture but still.

The only answer I can think of in the case of Elden ring rarity is that people get carried. I don't frown upon carries before anyone jumps in and bites my head off.

I don't find anything strange in the % of the platinum. If we look the rest of the Souls/BB/Sekiro, all of them had pretty high %. Sekiro is supposed to be the hardest for lots of people and it has nearly a 30%. DS1 is considered by many the hardest of the trilogy and also has nearly a 30%, with DS2 and DS3 be almost at 20%. BB and Demon Souls are above 20% both.

Elden Ring is pretty big, but I also found it the easiest of the souls. Some of the builds, like bleed ones, are pretty OP even after so many patches, fighting on horse make lots of fights much much easier and when you use the summons, specially some like the Mimic Tear, some of the hardest bosses just become punchbags.

Also let's consider the huge amount of players that ER had.

Edited by Galserik

Could it maybe have something to do with Elden Ring’s playability and appeal to players who aren’t overly familiar with the souls games? Maybe it’s just one of those games that people keep playing, the trophies maybe giving direction for players to strive for (in a game that isn’t explicit in handholding) to carry on playing who maybe wouldn’t  normally be someone who’d look for a platinum when they have beaten a game? I dunno?

Im just not totally convinced difficulty really factors that much when a game is this good.

• 1 month later...

i did not played to much elden ring though but i think platinum the game would be seriously though for me i played it a bit i have al the souls found some things on google for easy mode in dark souls remastered how to be overpowered in the souls games i try it someday because i just suck at souls games but i dont give up but more important just have fun and even when dying alot just dont give up look at some guides here on psnprofiles then unlocking the platinum trophie wil be easier with a guide then without it i think 

This was my first souls game and I kept stumbling upon ways to make the game easier without trying. There are a couple of bosses I got stuck on but for the most part, it wasn't that bad, and whenver I struggled I knew I could pull out one of those tricks and make it easier on myself

I agree with OP. Unless you point out the specifics, rating a Souls game too high makes no sense.

Since you can co-op and trade, it potentially defeats any challenge. Even if you solo offline and do neither, there's always the option of overleveling and glitching.

Evidently by the platinum percentage, it should be easy to conclude that either the game isn't that hard, or it's combination of the previous conclusion and that enough people have utilised one or several of the many advantages available.

Edited by Mellenthin
  • Like 1

Soulsgames are never asking you much to  get the plat.

If there was a trophy in DS2 to complete a no death or/and no bonfire run (a challenge which is  actually present, since they give you rewards for them, but chickened out to add as trophies) I assure you it would skyrocket to an ultra rare, for example, usually it’s just beat all/some bosses and collect all spells, which gives you several leeways, such as them giving you the opportunity to face all of them at ng0, in their weakest renditions, instead of ng+6, or other players simply giving you weapons/covenant items easy peasy, combine this with summoning, password summoning that removes level ranges, ai badly equipped to fight ranged, enemies hitting hard only at ng+1 and above, poise in some titles, and it kinda  becomes more impressive not accidentally cheesing your way to the plat. Elden Ring even removed the work behind getting all spells and bosses too, so that also applies to percentages.

Trophy difficulty  should always be taken with a grain of salt, it’s usually manipulated via hype, be it them having a number too high  (pre-crash 4 games and soulsgames being major culprits)  or too low (most fighting games falls in this category, alongside ps2 games with terrible controls, but played by many in their childhood so they got used to this), just play what you want, the reasoning is also inconsistent, because some games take into account glitches/online boosting in the difficulty rating, while stuff like Bloodborne with the cumf dungeon which literally makes you invincible with the level ups you get, or the password system that can get you pretty much someone do the entire work for you suddenly isn’t counted. Mortal Kombat X, has a trophy about winning 10 times in a row online on ranked (not boostable) but it’s still a 4/10, half of DS1, the game where they cannot kill a havel/stone guardian armor set equipped char at ng0, and someone can gift you the weapons to avoid ng+1 and ng+2, because you can cloud save the victories, nevermind the fact that it’s not even a safe strategy.

Elden Ring got  smashing record sales, so there’s really no special fanbase “dedicated” to getting the platinum compared to cod or gta, what you see, is what you get, since those are action rpgs, there are many ways From could have made the trophy list hard, the no bonfire no death run, the covenant of champions only, beat the game with no  weapons upgrades, never using magic, complete the game  at level 1, etc etc, I mean, have a look at youtube, and you’ll find a never ending stream of people coming up with challenges, From never did that, and their trophy lists are always streamlined, hence the percentages.

Edited by farradono

1 minute ago, Boorish said:

nah you can save scum with ps+/usb.

That’s true, but it would still be a major pain in the ass for the average trophy hunter, considering people on  average dying  in the hundreds (according to Bandai’s data),  many would  throw their hands up before completing it, shifting the percentages.

• 3 weeks later...

It's because casuals believe these games are the hardest games ever, so avoid them. The people that do play them realise they aren't so hard at all and finish them. Problem is, it seems everyone inflates the difficulty to make themselves look better at games...

I've not finished Elden Ring yet (I keep getting bored in the open world) but I've not come across anything yet that would make me rate this game over anything other than a 4/10

5 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

It's because casuals believe these games are the hardest games ever, so avoid them. The people that do play them realise they aren't so hard at all and finish them. Problem is, it seems everyone inflates the difficulty to make themselves look better at games...

I've not finished Elden Ring yet (I keep getting bored in the open world) but I've not come across anything yet that would make me rate this game over anything other than a 4/10

You know some would say you are doing the same by deflating the difficulty instead, to make you look better. Just a thought ?