Does the expansion make the base game's mercenary mode trophy easier?

ZeromusF4

1 hour ago, vanslayder said:

Is Chris unlocked from the beginning in the original Mercenaries? Or do you need to do some steps to unlock him?

Buying the DLC gets you him. I had no progress in the mercenaries when I bought the dlc

Mercenaries is easier with Chris.

Four S ranks done in a hour and a half

• Like 1

Anybody saying the new DLC characters are easier, have you tried it with Ethan on the latest patch as well to compare??

They rebalanced it a bit didn't they, not sure to what extent though. It's possible it's just more easier in general...??

Seemed to me that the combo lasts longer before it drops.

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

As an update having completed mercenary mode now. 

Heisenberg with ricoette saw blades makes quick work of the hard mode levels

Hard mode level requires alot less perfection in play compared to normal mode. The scores you need are much lower for S

On 02/11/2022 at 1:30 PM, Optinooby said:

Anybody saying the new DLC characters are easier, have you tried it with Ethan on the latest patch as well to compare??

They rebalanced it a bit didn't they, not sure to what extent though. It's possible it's just more easier in general...??

Seemed to me that the combo lasts longer before it drops.

Not exactly scientific, but did the first of the new levels as Chris, went "I'm barely using his punch, might as well go back to Ethan", did the second new level with Ethan, and was shocked at how much weaker his guns felt. @DeadmanStrife is right, Chris' weapons just feel way better in general. I think the balancing factor is supposed to be that he can't heal, but I didn't get tagged using him at all.

From the interviews Kinoshita (DLC director) did about it, it sounds like the tweaks they made in general haven't been buffing Ethan, but making enemies more aggressive in pursuit, changing some spawn points and making the 'right' path more obvious in the levels. I think I recall him even saying it would be easier to get the LZ Answerer with the new characters, so I think they're intentionally OP compared to Ethan.

• Like 1

Nice to see they made mercenaries somewhat more tolerable. I loved the mercenaries mode in 4, 5 and 6, but mercenaries in this game was some of the most anti fun shit imaginable. Being punished with not getting s rank because you didnt memorize every spawn point and optimal route was extremely frustrating, and having to constantly pause the game and refer to a video of someone else playing in a specific playstyle is tedious. Mercenaries works best as one large area of enemies that swarm in on you, having to manage resources and enemy priority while keeping your combo multiplier going, not playing scavenger hunt and walking into specific corners of the map to get obtuse spawn points to trigger.

I put off replaying this game for the ps5 plat just because of mercenaries, but now I might be more inclined to do it when the dlc goes on sale.

After going through the hard maps, I don't think it's that much easier actually.

The new characters seem mega OP on the easy maps, but once you get to the hard maps, their equipment loadout is all nerfed similar to Ethan.

You can at least cheese it though with Chris a lot better than you could with Ethan.

With Ethan, it was believed that you can keep reloading till you get the knife perk that increases your damage a tonne. I personally still found it better with a gun.

With Chris, you can cheese it for getting infinite ammo in a way. On the hard maps, he can buy a fully upgraded SMG, but its ammo cant be found, only bought and there is only about 300 stock total, then it can't be bought no more. But once you finish any 4 maps with him, you unlock the FINISHING RELOAD perk. What this does is it reload your weapon when you kill an enemy with a Straight Punch and unknown if this is intended as it seems mega OP, but its a free reload every time!! With the SMG having  a 100 sized clip, you swim in ammo. This is how you make Chris hard maps easy!! Without that perk, I think it's a similar difficulty to Ethan.

Chris hard maps Finishing Reload and SMG for easy time!

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

Yeah, Chris makes the first maps easier, but Factory 2 and Mad Village 2 were way harder with him compared to Ethan due to the lack of a better loadout.

I can confirm that:

1) You can unlock the Legendary Cowboy trophy by completing the maps with Chris, and presumably the other DLC characters (completing them with a S Rank, of course)

2) You only need to complete the 8 original maps (4 normal levels and 4 hard levels) to unlock the trophy, there’s no need to get S Rank in the new maps 

Edited by mrzooit

49 minutes ago, mrzooit said:

Yeah, Chris makes the first maps easier, but Factory 2 and Mad Village 2 were way harder with him compared to Ethan due to the lack of a better loadout.

I can confirm that:

1) You can unlock the Legendary Cowboy trophy by completing the maps with Chris, and presumably the other DLC characters (completing them with a S Rank, of course)

2) You only need to complete the 8 original maps (4 normal levels and 4 hard levels) to unlock the trophy, there’s no need to get S Rank in the new maps 

Just some info for yourself and any1 reading is that it's much easier if you use Infinite Ammo with Chris, you can just spam the Dragoon always then.

It may take a few reloads to get it, but now that you can swap out a perk twice, doesn't take many reloads!!!

It's sort of implied how broken the Dragoon is, that's why the ammo is limited on hard mode. It's weird that they allow you to get infinite ammo for it by using 'Finishing Reloads' perk.

Im not sure if it is, but kinda feels like an oversight 

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Just some info for yourself and any1 reading is that it's much easier if you use Infinite Ammo with Chris, you can just spam the Dragoon always then.

It may take a few reloads to get it, but now that you can swap out a perk twice, doesn't take many reloads!!!

It's sort of implied how broken the Dragoon is, that's why the ammo is limited on hard mode. It's weird that they allow you to get infinite ammo for it by using 'Finishing Reloads' perk.

Im not sure if it is, but kinda feels like an oversight 

I didn’t know about that, yeah, that must make it much easier.

The way I did it was Pistol plus Auto Onslaught, the problem is that enemies take a lot of bullets to die. I didn’t even try the Dragoon at all, because I basically hadn’t used it in any of the previous levels (after I ran out of ammo), I managed to complete the 6 first maps basically on first try so I didn’t experiment much. I also mostly avoided the right punch cause it’s kinda slow.

Doing this way, I found keeping the combos running more difficult compared to Ethan (on Factory 2 and Mad Village 2), mostly because there’s no Magnum to one shot the elite bois and girls. I’m gonna try this Finishing Reloads method later, but yes, it sounds like an unintended interaction.

I’m always following your guides Opti, thank you!

Edited by mrzooit
  • Like 1

Yes, with "Finishing Reload" and Chris' Dragoon, it's easy to get S and even SSS on the Hard maps now! Just purchase his Dragoon, make a beeline to the first blue orb and hit the Randomize (Square) button until "Finishing Reload" appears. If not, quit and retry. Just remember to punch an enemy to death when your clip is low or empty to instantly reload.

Here's my playlist of all the Hard levels done with SSS with this method: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUv7G2UP4zr4Y9DbKJ1bzH_3G8iLCv8De

I didn't bother maintaining any long combos, got turned around a few times and got hit. I just played the way I wanted to and still got the SSS rank. Like Optinoob said, not sure if this was intended or a bug but for those still struggling with the "Legendary Cowboy" trophy, now's the best time to knock it out!

• 2 months later...