Does the expansion make the base game's mercenary mode trophy easier?

ZeromusF4

18 minutes ago, jay_horror said:

Not a dumb a question at all was now coming to edit the post to say I didn't know you have to do the hard version as well fml :(

They aren't as bad as you might think. Just look up some video guides, they help immensely in getting the trophy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jay_horror said:

Not a dumb a question at all was now coming to edit the post to say I didn't know you have to do the hard version as well fml :(

Just use lady d and spam her grab attack I think it's hold L1 she will dash grab then slam all but minibisses and some big enemies killing them in 1 hit for everything else just max out her flies attack for long range and to eat away at the minibosses and when given a chance throw a vanity at the big stuff and summon a daughter to help out. I do suggest also keeping atleast 2 blood bottles for healing cause she and everyone else u play as has a glass jaw on hard mode and sometimes you get hit lol but yeah slam everything it gives her invulnerability screens and it's a 1 hit kill on most everything which helps keep high combos you'd have to really try hard not to get an s rank lol on the last required map I had enough points for sss and I still had 2 rounds left of the map so I just let myself die to save time lol

Also pro tip if enemies are coming to you just hold L1 she will keep grabbing and slamming lol

Edited by Taliesin_2943
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 9:43 PM, Taliesin_2943 said:

Just use lady d and spam her grab attack I think it's hold L1 she will dash grab then slam all but minibisses and some big enemies killing them in 1 hit for everything else just max out her flies attack for long range and to eat away at the minibosses and when given a chance throw a vanity at the big stuff and summon a daughter to help out. I do suggest also keeping atleast 2 blood bottles for healing cause she and everyone else u play as has a glass jaw on hard mode and sometimes you get hit lol but yeah slam everything it gives her invulnerability screens and it's a 1 hit kill on most everything which helps keep high combos you'd have to really try hard not to get an s rank lol on the last required map I had enough points for sss and I still had 2 rounds left of the map so I just let myself die to save time lol

Also pro tip if enemies are coming to you just hold L1 she will keep grabbing and slamming lol

On 1/18/2023 at 8:34 PM, Creasy007 said:

They aren't as bad as you might think. Just look up some video guides, they help immensely in getting the trophy.

Just want to update and say that I got it thanks for the advise guys it really helped and was actually easier than I though ending up getting two SS ranks one S rank and the final level a SSS haha despite only getting S rank on the base levels :D used Lady D for all of them.

49 minutes ago, jay_horror said:

Just want to update and say that I got it thanks for the advise guys it really helped and was actually easier than I though ending up getting two SS ranks one S rank and the final level a SSS haha despite only getting S rank on the base levels :D used Lady D for all of them.

Glad to be of help :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jay_horror said:

Happy to help, glad you managed it with little fuss! Sounds like those DLC character additions make a lot of difference but they still weren't too much trouble during the base game release.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

All the guides suggest: yes.

In actual experience? Also yes.

Chris's straight punch and his finishing reload ability basically made hard mode a cakewalk. Strangely enough, the margin for error on the hard stages is MUCH more forgiving. When I was doing the run for the normal stages I found you have much less room for error to even achieve regular S rank, whereas on hard... In many of the stages I actually died and STILL got SSS. It's a really weird setup, but Chris is basically the way to go. He starts with a fully automatic SMG, has decent firepower, and can be upgraded to a 100-round magazine. On hard stages, it's fully upgraded from the start.

Honestly, the strategy I always used was the following:

1. Always upgrade the ammo capacity for the SMG.
  2. Never use the pistol, in fact, you can sell it right from the start virtually every single time, along with its ammo.
  3. Prioritize straight punch damage upgrade. Don't bother with the left hook.
  4. There are only like 2 stages where you will want a target locator.
  5. On the hard stages your strategy for every map should be the following: Start map, gather your loadout, go to ability sphere, if it's not finishing reload: restart map until it is. You will want finishing reload every single time on hard maps because, without it, you just won't have enough ammo. From there, you will want to make sure you finish with a straight punch to get more ammo. The second priority ability should always be auto onslaught when it becomes available, and the third should be any that increases damage, ESPECIALLY ones that increase the damage of melee attacks.
  6. On normal stages, focus on keeping your combo going. You will need to make very high combos on all rounds to even get S rank. On Hard? I managed to get like half the stages where I got a high combo, but didn't do as well on the second half and I still got SSS.
  7. Sell flash grenades, they are useless.
  8. The knife is useless, Chris' straight punch is infinitely better.
  9. If you're struggling to maintain health, buy the perk that restores health whenever you get a kill, or when you are doing damage with a gun. Both are pretty viable.
  10. Familiarize yourself with the stages and where the enemies will spawn, so you have a planned route to go.
  11. ALWAYS kill all enemies. The bonuses you get for doing this make getting those score targets possible.
  12. Don't attempt the hard maps until you have unlocked S rank on all the first 4 normal maps. Without the perks you get from those they are significantly harder.
  13. Practice, practice, practice!

Once you have Chris, there really is no reason at all to use Ethan unless you're just trying to get SSS on all characters for the fun of it, but there is no achievement locked behind such.

• Like 1

Mercenaries in Village is shit, imho. i dont see how its easy at all. it's really about learning the best route and ensuring the combo stays alive when there are long gaps between enemy sets. lots of repetition involved - or for me, following videos on youtube and stopping/starting to see where to go next. i hate it and its such a chore to get done for that stupid trophy.

Edited by rockstarjazz
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...