PSVR 2 Launching 22/2/23, Cost is $549.99, €599.99, £529.99

Breakingthegreen

Just now, Silver-I-Chariot said:

I was actually considering buying this but after seeing the price, definitely not. Also, what's with the EU price being higher than US?

I didn't copy this from the blog, because I thought it would be fluff, but they specified that the US price was Tax non inclusive. That might be why, but it doesn't explain why the prices were identical on the PS4 and PS5.

I'll be extremely interested in seeing what this headset can do that other VR headsets can't - at USD $550, it's already going to be a pretty expensive device, especially when considering what I already spent on acquiring a PlayStation 5 in the first place. Sony had better get ready to astound people with this the PSVR2, or it risks becoming an even more niche device than the PSVR1 - especially with the absence of backwards compatibility with PSVR1 titles.

PSVR 1 was essentially $500 at launch (as you needed controllers and camera for it to function). I'm sure the extra $50 is the whole inflation excuse corpos love doing now to price gouge us further. But I don't find $549 to be shocking or unreasonable. 

• Like 3

When high end PC VR costs >$1000, and the $400 Quest 2 gets arguably worse performance than the PSVR1, that price seems downright reasonable. Unfortunately the current context of VR doesn't change that it's still way too much money.

I'll probably still buy one because I'm the world's biggest idiot.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

It doesn't need the camera, tracking is done inside the headset itself now

41 minutes ago, breakingthegreen said:

The PS VR 2 doesn't use an external camera for tracking. That tech is built into the headset.

Oh shit, that's great news. I was aware of inside-out but was not sure that it doesn't require it for anything else.

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

Ooof, a lot higher than most expected

I guessed 499.99.

499.99 sounded like a nice psychological number but doesn't really take into account the real tech cost involved. 

So 549.99 isn't a lot higher than I expected. I also said "I guessed", it is a guess not a prediction or demand. 

I really like the PSVR experience and was waiting for the PSVR2 but it is bit too much.

I will wait for a price drop and some more games available.

Such a pity they did not consider the retro comaptibility with PSVR1... it would have been a strong argument.

• Like 1

First PS VR failed and support ended in few years and with that price it will be a bigger fail. Great Sony.

I know price was fine for ps vr 1 and sales also but support ended so quick and near all vr games have close servers now or will be in next 1-3 years. Most of the games no one bought if it was not given in ps plus service.

• Like 1