What's your "oh no" moment in a game?

1eudnu_tsedom

Realizing that the last Joker present had glitched out of existence during my first run of Arkham Origins: Blackgate since I'd been incorrectly informed that getting it would immediately lock me into the final area and so was going around collecting everything else...and then, when I learned that the game could only upload or download PS+ save data once every 24 hours and so disabled the auto-upload so I could just download an older save the next day and restore the present, the game uploaded the corrupted save anyway. This forced me to replay the entire goddamn game all over again just for that first ending, and kickstarted my hatred of the title that only intensified with every passing minute afterward. Garbage game.

• Like 2

Getting to the end of a game with NO chapter select and realizing you missed 1 collectible and have to re-play the whole game over again. Oh yea, and the collectibles don't carry over so you also have to collect everything all over again on top of that. Looking at you "The Medium", it was more of a "fuck my life" moment as opposed to a "oh no" lol. 

• Like 2

Playing Medieval 2 Total War. For once young me was trying to defeat the mongol event horde that takes over most of the map if ignored. Spend decades fighting the mongols, finally reach their last holding at the eastern edge of Asia Minor, beat their last armies despite my own armies being dead or severely depleted at this point, Mongols eradicated for the first time, never played a campaign for so long. 3-4 rounds later, armies still standing around totally messed up, already focus on another war on the other side of the map, then this video drops:

The sheer terror of having to face another, much more potent horde faction with more modern weapons after barely surviving against the first one is hard to describe, one round later my spy discovered the absurd number of full banner armies of the Timurids, and I knew then that this was a lost cause and only tried to get my armies out of there as quickly as possible, preparing for an even bigger conflict against an enemy you could not hide from behind large walls due to their elephant artillery.

Edited by Dauersack
  • Like 4

I've got a reccuring one in Tekken 7, when I'm playing someone, he uses a rage art near the end of the round (which you really shouldn't use just because you can), I didn't press buttons, I'm 100% sure I'll block, punish and win. But it was after a sidestep or an evasive move of sorts, cameraman got dumb, switched sides and now my back-to-block is my forward-to-eat-rage-art. That's like an "oh no" moment out loud, literally. It happens weirdly often to me. 

Also, technically an "oh no" moment, even though me and my friend laughed for minutes at this. MGS V. Just outside of some village, on high ground, scouting said village with binoculars. A guy comes around, I have no idea if he was originally one of the village guards or just a random enemy wandering about. I aim at him, he sees me, gets the MGSey exclamation mark and the well known sound. Half a second later in the background, the village lights up with like  20 very loud exclamation marks out of nowhere. Like an MGS meme made by the game itself, with perfect comedic timing. I don't care for streaming, storing video game footage etc, but this is the one moment I wish I had a clip of. 

• Like 1

I've had several Oh No! moments ? From being used to Autosave and forgetting to save it if you're playing a game that doesn't support it to simply deleting the wrong backup file. 
Or another classic: knowing that if you try something you"ll end up dead, try it anyway and curse yourself because you're dead. 

recently i was playing fifa 22, there is a trophy that you need to score a goal with a bicycle kick on a high difficulty, i was trying and trying and trying, until i finally did it, but trophy didnt pop, the problem is that i didnt read or notice that you need to complete lower tiers/challenges before you can unlock the tier in which the bicycle kick is.

Mad but stil laughed

• Like 1

My biggest "OH NO!" moment would have to be back on the PS2. I spent most of summer vacation playing Final Fantasy XII, I was in the endgame, grinding for the super bosses and whatnot. After a few hours playing one morning I was saving the game and casually placed my hand on the console and accidentally tapped the memory card... Over 120 hours gone, poof, bye-bye. I didn't start over again though I think I might go for the platinum on the PS4, eventually. 

• Like 2

Some recent “oh no” moments happened with Dead or Alive 5’s 100 man survival on Legend difficulty when a power outage occurred when I reached somewhere over 60 wins. I also reached 94 wins before I screwed that run up too, which took about a little under 30 min. Another moment was a Wolfenstein 2 Mein Leben run where right before you reach the area where you have to face the two Zerstorers at the very end of the game, you had to climb a ladder and face some enemies before said final battle. I jumped off the platform to avoid a machine that comes running at you full speed right when you reach the top and ended up landing and glitching “out of map” that ended my run. That was about a little under 5 hours wasted.

Edited by Lum
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neocarleen said:

With the PS cloud storage, I mixed up download and upload. Absolutely ruined my game and I had to start a new save from the beginning. 1f635.png

Definitely happened to me before. The last time my "oh no" moment happened when I was finishing up The Last of Us Part II earlier this year. I was on the last chapter with Abby when I accidentally overrode a save file and sent myself back to Ellie's Seattle. Had to replay half of the game again. 

Two things:

1) in FFX on PS2, first time i beat Boss Lady Yunalesca's 2nd phase after several attempts to see she has a 3rd phase ?

2) plugging off the power cable from my ps4 once too early. All saves deleted. Hadn't uploaded any save in weeks. Lost progress of dozens of games including Ni No Kuni II (60 hours playtime). Several weeks passed before i started it anew ?

Edited by Evil_Joker88
  • Like 1

A mild recent example for me (I will eventually retry but meh):

Following PowerPyx's all survive guide for The Quarry. Made it to chapter 3 and played through, not realizing I messed up the 'don't breathe' section. I made it to the end of the chapter before I was like oh wait I did mess it up. It was a slow and boring chapter with an annoying collectible in the opening section, so my motivation to replay it is so low it's underground right now. I did make a save beforehand that I could download and try again but...one day.

Edited by Vulpine9Tails