What's your "oh no" moment in a game?

1eudnu_tsedom

When I think of an "oh no" moment I like to think of something that's not too immediate, one where you can see it happening but can't do anything to stop it now. For example, falling off something like a cliff but managing to cling on from death somehow knowing you can't possibly climb back up anyway and death is your only escape xD

Personally the last time I had one of those experiences was a glitch in a permadeath run of Outlast 2. The QTE glitched out. You're on a raft and it gets stuck, you begin by nudging yourself in a slower QTE then things get frantic as you mash yourself to freedom. The first half of the QTE went fine but the second half didn't load, the QTE didn't show on screen and pressing buttons did nothing so you could only just sit there, move your camera around and wait for the death to inevitably reach you xD obviously I was still hopelessly pressing the inputs anyway even if the QTE itself wasn't there, but it's no use and back to the opening cutscene I went (this section is pretty far into the game, so it's also pretty painful for a glitch to reset you).

I've heard similar stories with Outlast 2, not with QTEs but instead getting softlocked by getting randomly stuck in the environment or certain events not triggering to progress. The 2nd game had a lot of issues compared to the first.

As a kid I once saved over my best save file because it didn't have a designated load screen compared to other PS1 games I played at the time. You always started a new game when you boot the game and you go to a shared Save/Load screen where X was to save and I think O was load? Having played other games at the time and being used to loading my save by chossing it and pressing X I ended up saving over my best file with a blank file xD that was quite an "oh no" fail that I remember in my childhood, watching that unfold being unable to stop it now that it's saying it's 'saving'.

I was playing Mafia 3, I did my first playthrough and now I have to play it once again and don't kill any bosses and informants. I didn't know that I have to wiretape them. And when I did my second playthrough, trophies didn't pop. And I said "oh no". I was angry as motherfucker. Mostly because of the fact that games was fucked up by any means. So I blame game and trophies for that.

Caligula overdose crashed many times on my, it had freezing issues. The worst was when I spent 2 hours filling doing the casualty link running around looking for all these students who show up randomly, went to save and the game froze. I had to redo it all over again, and it's such a tedious task as well 

Doing the hard mode run for Dead Space 2.

After plenty of practice I finally had a great run then three quarters of the way through with 3 saves still available the game crashed.

It was a "oh no" moment but trust me, I didn't say "oh no".

Never went back to that trophy. 

Edited by reiner-
  • Like 2

I had a really bad "Oh no" moment while playing FF7R on hard mode.

I was fighting the hell house and kept dying really quickly during the second phase a few times and couldn't figure out what was going on...

Anyways, on my 3rd try, I got to the same phase and was doing my own thing with Cloud and noticed the hell house spitting out 3 tonberries right next to Aeris, and I think I literally screamed "OH NOOO!" as I finally realized she kept dying to these Tonberries and was getting ready to get stabbed again. xD

A lot of time trials in racing games... For example in GT Sport, time trial gold on Nordschleife is 06:37.80. In my first run I did sub 07:30 but it felt pretty decent. Oh no, never going to get this gold medal. These kind of threads also didn't help: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/why-99-9-of-all-players-won´t-gold-the-nordschleife-circuit-experience.405662/

That moment when you pick up the last daedric artifact in Skyrim and the Oblivion Walker trophy doesn't pop because its glitched.  Then you come back to Skyrim months later, get all the daedric artifacts again and the trophy glitches a second time.  Its the only trophy keeping me from platinum.  I've thought about trying again but then I feel unmotivated every time I envision starting a new playthrough.

I love stealth games. If a game have a trophy like "finish the game without killing anyone" or 100 % stealth (never detected), im in.

So, my "oh no" moment was in Dishonored 1.

Finished the game full stealth and killing no one. Dont remember if it was on PC or PS4. But the pacifist trophy doesn´t pop up.

Why is that? Because (Spoiler alert) → 

Spoiler

The first assasins in the prologue, the ones who killed Jessamine, COUNTS. I mean, i tought that the trophy start when you are in prison but nope, that guys count too.

Not long ago, Death's Gambit corrupted my saves multiple times, including at the very end of the low% speedrun necessary for platinum... Let's just say I wasn't happy, and it's a miracle I persisted in finishing it. The game is inexcusably broken on PS4, which is a shame, since it's not a bad Metroidvania by any means.

• Like 1

Somehow I screwed up my saves on The Last of Us Remastered while hunting collectables. So I really didn't want to start New Game Plus with a level one character. And I never went back.

Playing God of War for an entire day then coming back to my last save the next day and finding Kratos falling down an infinite hole. I'm pretty sure my disk has issues because it kept doing that.

I finally bought the digital version and I am finally getting somewhere.

Also just started the Valkyrie hunt. Oh no. :ninja: