Trophy Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

How many games are in this? Judging by the trophies, 4 games? 1f914.png

The official site is somewhat inconsistent in the labeling. 

"An interactive journey through 50 years of video game history, including a specially-curated list of more than 90 games."

"Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration takes players on an interactive journey through 50 years of video games, including a specially-curated list of more than 100 playable classics and six entirely new titles from the award-winning team at Digital Eclipse"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dreggit said:

The official site is somewhat inconsistent in the labeling. 

"An interactive journey through 50 years of video game history, including a specially-curated list of more than 90 games."

"Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration takes players on an interactive journey through 50 years of video games, including a specially-curated list of more than 100 playable classics and six entirely new titles from the award-winning team at Digital Eclipse"

That's a pretty crazy trophy list if "100 playable classics" are available but trophies on only a handful ?

I can't say on the whole I am a fan of Atari games, in many ways it was a bit before my time.

None the less, if I can finally get some of their newer Arcade games, like Gauntlet I, Gauntlet II, Toobin', APB, Xybots, Hard Driving, Pit Fighter etc on my PS4. i'd all up for it.

[edit]

Oh man, the line up looks pretty awful...

https://nintendoeverything.com/atari-50-anniversary-celebration-game-list/

All the really old games, that we've seen many times before, not even slightly newer games like Blasteroids make it to the list....

Edited by enaysoft

3 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

What is Haunted Houses? I googled it, but found nothing.

Think of it as the earliest example of survival horror. You play as some character, who is only represented by a pair of eyes, who has to escape a haunted house. Find keys to open doors, a wand thing to kill monsters, and an urn required to actually get through the final door.

Here's a video:

6 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

Think of it as the earliest example of survival horror. You play as some character, who is only represented by a pair of eyes, who has to escape a haunted house. Find keys to open doors, a wand thing to kill monsters, and an urn required to actually get through the final door.

Here's a video:

Haunted House was in Atari Flashback Classics Volume 2. Basically, you play as a pair of eyeballs and you are only armed with some lit matches. You need to find 3 pieces of an urn in the haunted mansion of the late fictional owner Zachary Graves, with a few floors for you to explore. But be warned, the house is full of monsters, including the ghost of Mr. Graves himself. However, you can defend yourself with magic wands to fend off the monsters. If a monster touches you, you end up losing one of your 9 lives. Once you have all 3 urn pieces, you would then need to exit the mansion through where you started to win the game. 

Edited by Lil-Gameboy123

8 minutes ago, Lil-Gameboy123 said:

Haunted House was in Atari Flashback Classics Volume 2. Basically, you play as a pair of eyeballs and you are only armed with some lit matches. You need to find 3 pieces of an urn in the haunted mansion of the late fictional owner Zachary Graves, with a few floors for you to explore. But be warned, the house is full of monsters, including the ghost of Mr. Graves himself. However, you can defend yourself with magic wands to fend off the monsters. If a monster touches you, you end up losing one of your 9 lives. Once you have all 3 urn pieces, you would then need to exit the mansion through where you started to win the game. 

Don't forget, it's crazy spooky. That always gets left out, but it's crazy spo0o0o0oo0o0oooky, gotta watch yourself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, enaysoft said:

How many games are in this? Judging by the trophies, 4 games? 1f914.png

I believe the trophies are focused specifically on games that have been remixed/remade for this collection, and not the 90+ plus classic games.

2 hours ago, enaysoft said:

All the really old games, that we've seen many times before, not even slightly newer games like Blasteroids make it to the list....

I believe it’s because of licensing issues, as Warner Bros. Discovery hold the rights to the newer games. On the plus side, it appears to have Akka Arrh, which was never released.

Edited by AlphaLiquid-X
Formatting
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

@Jelly Soup: But that's Haunted House (no "s" at the end). I love Haunted House. But this game is called Haunted Houses. Is it a sequel? A homebrew? 

It's Haunted House with bells and whistles. Count of games in the collection include Haunted House 2600 and Haunted House - Reimagined.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

@Jelly Soup: But that's Haunted House (no "s" at the end). I love Haunted House. But this game is called Haunted Houses. Is it a sequel? A homebrew? 

It’s a reimagining, modernized version of Haunted House. AlphaLiquid-X said above but most of the trophies in this collection are tied to the reimagined games created by Digital Eclipse and not the 90+ classic games. Honestly, from what I’ve heard about them, I’m looking forward to the reimagined games the most. The only trophies not tied to the new games appear to be three Jaguar games: Tempest 2000, Cybermorph, and Atari Karts.

Atari Reimagined. New Games by Digital Eclipse:

Haunted Houses

Neo Breakout

Quadratank

Swordquest Airworld (Unfinished Atari 2600 game)

VCTR SCTR

Yar's Revenge Reimagined

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sunnyburrito said:

I love classics but Atari is before my time so I don't have the nostalgia for it, might get it someday, from the little I remember the games were tough as nails.

Atari WAS my time, but I don’t have nostalgia for it either. Hard pass.

Now if they ever release an Intellivision Classics…:yay:

time to speedrun the list...

Well, the trophies seem very very easy in this one. The one for landing two ships is far easier than I thought it would be and you just need a second controller and let that ship just sit still as you control the other one. The kart racing one is laughably easy to a point I'm not sure they even programmed AI into that game... You will consistently be over 10 seconds faster even on the harder cups. You just need to win 3 cups to qualify for the miracle race in which its just you vs 1 other AI... which is also braindead and slow. Like seriously you will lap them multiple times and I'm not even sure its possible to lose if you just drive ( yes even poorly ). The breakout ones are also very very easy, the whammy one got me as I didn't read the manual but you just press L2 as the ball hits the paddle to set it on fire, simply hit the last block and the trophy is yours.

So far I'm enjoying the reimagined games and if you really like the history side of things then you get interviews and even old school ads to watch, oh and original documents on them. Not worth the 35 but its still enjoyable.

2nd edit

Well I did the haunted houses score trophies, they are all easy, final level I didn't even have to learn and got it on my 3rd run, 1st level took around 6 or so goes and the 2nd level is the hardest, still easy but it will require you to at least learn the map. Plat is like 3/10. Extremely easy but overall a very fun collection

Edited by lilpain97

• 2 weeks later...

Okay i've just gotten the platinum on the PS5 stack. It's nowhere near as challenging as vols.1-3 thankfully. A small number of the trophies require a lot of problem solving, beating Airworld in particular is very cryptic but overall it's a lot of fun to figure out. I'd give the platinum a 4-5/10 at most.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 9:37 AM, lilpain97 said:

time to speedrun the list...

Well, the trophies seem very very easy in this one. The one for landing two ships is far easier than I thought it would be and you just need a second controller and let that ship just sit still as you control the other one. I need to test if the tempest one can be done via level select as you would need to go 16 levels which can be annoying for some. The kart racing one is laughably easy to a point I'm not sure they even programmed AI into that game... You will consistently be over 10 seconds faster even on the harder cups. You just need to win 3 cups to qualify for the miracle race in which its just you vs 1 other AI... which is also braindead and slow. Like seriously you will lap them multiple times and I'm not even sure its possible to lose if you just drive ( yes even poorly ). The breakout ones are also very very easy, the whammy one got me as I didn't read the manual but you just press L2 as the ball hits the paddle to set it on fire, simply hit the last block and the trophy is yours.

So far I'm enjoying the reimagined games and if you really like the history side of things then you get interviews and even old school ads to watch, oh and original documents on them. Not worth the 35 but its still enjoyable.

2nd edit

Well I did the haunted houses score trophies, they are all easy, final level I didn't even have to learn and got it on my 3rd run, 1st level took around 6 or so goes and the 2nd level is the hardest, still easy but it will require you to at least learn the map. 

Any trick to the Tempest 2000 trophy? That's the only one i'm struggling with.