Your save data is lost. You pick yourself back up again

AJ_Radio

YLOD killed my first PS3, now while I did backup some games to USB and the cloud, I didn't do it for all my games and lost a few saves, most notably for Little Big Planet 1 in which I was very close to Acing all the levels and getting all the bubbles (some of which require 4 players/ 4 controllers and I got boosting online with other people)

It was indeed a blow for me and I vowed that I just didn't care and would never do it again...

And then I played it again some 5 years later and did in the end get platinum.

I'd just take a break from the game. I also remember the time I wasn't concentrating and while backing up my save to the cloud on Vita I accidentally grabbed it FROM the cloud, which unfortunately lost me 12 hours of grinding on Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate.

Still I came back to the game a few months later and just carried on.

I recommend you just have a break and forgot about it, and play something else and put it on your "backlog" for next year or something.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

Probably one of the advantages of starting gaming on a PC is this path - C:/Users/"your Username"/MySaves. Always making backups of that folder, because I hated losing my toys xD 

Unfortunately I don't know how it worked on older consoles, but PS3 allowed me to backup stuff on an USB (with some minor game exceptions) so yeah...applied some "best practices" once I moved to console gaming as well. As far as I remember, I don't think I ever lost a save file even if they got corrupted down the line.

In terms of setbacks...probably Mirror's Edge? I played the game and finished it on Hard difficulty, just to realize that my version had no access to the Pure Time Trials DLC. Had to buy a NA version and replay the game twice once more on my own chill time. No annoyance, just another day in gaming.

You had to run DS2 multiple times anyway, now you got all that good practice that will allow you to blitz through the early areas.

• Like 2

Aside from an old PS1 memory card dying on me I can't recall ever losing any console save to corruption, if I ever did then it was insignificant enough for me to forget about it, I don't recall knowing anyone in real life who had that happen either, or they just didn't talk about it, so it almost sounds made up to me, probably helped that I skipped the PS3 era though. To make up for that I seem to have a talent to run into games with buggy trophies more often than the average user, which also sucks but given that I managed to ultimately unlock them all, at least up to now anyway, I prefer that over losing all progress in long games. If it ever happens to me then I am pretty much guaranteed to pick it back up anyway, as I am pretty persistent with completion and would prefer to make use of all the knowledge and muscle memory I have at that point to get it done somewhat efficiently instead of waiting for a long time and having to get used to the game all over again.

• Like 1

PS3 Skyrim and PS3 Saint's Row IV

Skyrim, same reason why I lost my DS2 character, it was played on my old console.

That's from a time before I ever thought about making back-ups or anything, and years before collecting trophies. 

Thankfully Skyrim isn't that long if you beeline for the trophies, but I haven't played DS2 since then. It's on my list, just not motivated enough.

@AJ_Radio if you're still motivated to get DS2 done, let me know, we can tackle the sunlight medals from the start then. Sucks that you've lost the Belltower grind though.

Saints Row IV, I've deleted my character to play co-op with a friend, either I was blind and missed the option to create a second character or the game did not have such an option back then.

Anyways, deleted the character that was like 3/4 through the game, just to play 2 hours in coop and then never ever again, great times.

• Like 2

I have thankfully never had any data corrupt on me. The closest I've had was my Devil May Cry 3 save stupidly overwritten by... myself ? when I changed from playing with Dante to playing with Vergil. Thanfully, my brother loved the game and didn't mind playing it again when I asked him, so I eventually got all my progress back. Ever since then, I've made triple sure to always have my save data backed up. Every year, on January first, I make sure that every single console I played (or otherwise modified) during the past 365 days is backed up in case of an emergency. I've rarely ever had to use those backups, but it makes me sleep better at night.

• Like 1

I always back up my save data to the cloud (if I'm subscribed to PS Plus) or USB drive (if I am not). Besides, I rarely encounter save data corruption -- perhaps once or twice, such as when playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and The Count Lucanor.

I have turned off auto-upload since I bought my PS4. I even have turned off auto-download for game and system software updates. I'm going to do the same thing when(ever) I grab a PS5. ?

• Like 2

My PS3 basically died on me a few months before i got a PS4 so i have a few unfinished games that still to this day haunt me. Some i was close to platting and had put many hours into, some i had only just started and still sit at 1% which i find a tad annoying

I do want to go back and maybe finish a few that i was enjoying like Spec Ops: The Line but others like Motorstorm Apoclaypse are unplattable now! 

• Like 3

Happened to me playing Skyrim. I had a lot of save games, and the game decided to delete almost every save, leaving only 10 of them. I tried erasing all the unneeded saves, but than bug still happened, and sometimes after a few days playing.

I lost quite a few hours of progress, but ultimately decided that I was going to finish it. So I erased every save, and from that point on, each time I saved the game, I did it in 20-30 different slots. That way, even if some where lost or corrupted, others would survive and I would be able to keep playing. 

• Like 1

My PS1 memory card was erased one day.  My Final Fantasy memory card.  1,2,4-9, Tactics, Chrono Trigger and Cross.  All gone.  Beat most of them and the SNes games weren't the best ports.

But 2 and 8,I didn't beat.  I was near the end of 2.  Like right outside the final dungeon.  I have it on the GBA, but never beat it.  I did get 8 on Steam and beat it there.

• Like 1

First time I got 100% in Vice City, I turned off my PS2 when it was still saving. Didnt stop me from getting the 100% again, game is simply too good.

Couple years ago I was playing Borderlands 2 with @HusKy, we wrapped up the main game and were doing DLC's, when my game crashed during a cutscene and my save file got corrupted. Cloud saves didnt exist because I always turned off my PS4 completely and it never had the opportunity to auto-upload.

20-30 hours down the drain, fun times.

Ever since I've put my Playstation into rest mode.

Edited by Mori
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

I think it doesn't happen much on newer consoles. At least never happened to me so far. Man, you really took an L by playing DS2 on PS3. 

Yeah I mentioned this the other week, AJ said that the game was cheaper to buy..

Still I have no idea when my PS3 will break, can't ever buy a new one so it's kind of in storage even though I have 2 games I want to play on it that I haven't started, I probably never will because I want to have access to all the PS3 exclusive games that I love and can only be played on this system. So I want to preserve the lifespan and only play PS3 games that I can't play on any other system

Definitely worth buying DS2 on PS4 since it's better gfx, 60fps and erm, PS4 will be better at auto backing up your saves, hindsight though, everyone has that I guess.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

I jumped into mp in mass effect 3 on the PS3 and it erased an almost completed playthrough on the hardest difficulty in single player including side missions. 

At the time I hadn't started regularly backing up my savefiles. It was a common thing in ME3 that could happen back then that I failed to read up on, switching between single player and mp.

Anyways I started over from scratch and got my plat feeling a little bitter having lost that much progress. Now I backup my savefile after every session needless to say I learned my lesson the hard way.

Edited by JAK-KRIEG
  • Like 2

I had this with Top Spin 4, i was nearly finished with the career mode when i accidentally deleted my save file when i was like 1 hour away from having the platinum. So i had to start the career from scratch. Got the final trophy after 15 hours of playing again.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mori said:

Cloud saves didnt exist because I always turned off my PS4 completely and it never had the opportunity to auto-upload.

20-30 hours down the drain, fun times.

Ever since I've put my Playstation into rest mode.

I don't think I understand what happened there. I've never used the rest mode, I always turn the console off, and all my saves are always uploaded to Cloud.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Is there any game on your profile that you eventually finished, despite having a giant setback? Did you feel frustrated, then decided that getting mad will solve nothing and you picked yourself up?

I think my most painful experience was having to do the Kombo challenges on Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe 3 times. The first time I completed every challenge except for one of Shang Tsung's and then my PS3 got YLOD and died, then I started using my sister's PS3 and started inching my way toward completion again, this time I had one of Raiden's remaining when for whatever reason her disc drive decided to stop reading games which left me unable to continue and then finally 2 years after that I had a new PS3 and decided to go for it again and finally beat it and got the trophy for completing them all this time. 

Edited by SlimSanta94
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Is there any game on your profile that you eventually finished, despite having a giant setback? Did you feel frustrated, then decided that getting mad will solve nothing and you picked yourself up?

I usually don't go back to games that have issues until I know they've been remedied or I'm feeling foolhardy with my time.

Maybe I'd revisit a game with save issues if I have an ample break from it. Especially if it's not feeling like a top tier game to me. Battleship on the PS4 corrupted on me like 4 times so I gave up because the story missions had a ton of randomness to it and it was just "iight" for me so I said "f--- this" and moved on AFTER getting a lil steamed ?

I have an absolutely horrendous backlog of games that I want to experience; sitting about as long as my trophy list thus far so I try not to dwell on any games that -- to me -- feel incomplete or unrewarding due to jankiness of any sort.

With the cloud saves with plus I've not had it on any of the consoles from PS3 onwards, but I've had crashes during playing where I have lost 2-3 hours of gameplay and had to redo it. I remember having many freezes on my PS5 when I played PS4 games, specifically FFX and Caligula whenever I tried to save. I remember losing 2 hours of gameplay on Caligula, neither of these games had auto save so it was frustrating, and the freezes were only on saving when the PS5 used the system software black pop save screen rather than the games save screen like when you play a PS4 game on PS4. I managed to fix the issue by rebuilding the database and clearing up some space. But with how grindy FFX was, especially the stat maxing, losing progress was extremely irritating. I pursued anyway to get the platinum.

On Nintendo and PS1/2, I did lose data a few times, mostly from power cuts as a kid, but I didn't care much as a kid when there were no trophies or anything. I corrupted a few of my old GBA and NDS pokemon games, as I used to use cheat devices like an action replay and gameshark. 

• Like 1

I've pretty much lost all of my save data for all my ps3 games.  I didn't have a back up for them and my ps3 died.  I've started going back to old ps3 games on my profile to try to 100% or platinum on my wife's ps3 but I have to start from scratch.  I did this for L.A. Noire last year.  I'm currently working on Dynasty Warriors 7 after 11 years.  I had all of story mode completed previous, but left conquest mode unfinished.  Now I have to play the story mode again in order to get the platinum.  Its not too bad, after 11 years its almost like playing a new game considering how much of it I've forgotten.

• Like 1

Can’t remember for which games but I had a PS1 memory card with save files on it that were corrupted for no apparent reason. Although I remember this only happened with my generic brand memory card and not my Sony brand one. I don’t remember being heavily upset about it, but it still sucks. My save file for Bioshock on the PS4 got corrupted. Fortunately, I had some earlier saves that I was able to revert back to.

Since the ability to upload saves to the cloud, or copy them to a USB, I've never lost a save. But that's not to say I haven't had my issues. Mad Max is the game that comes to mind for me, with a Plat est of 55hrs and having to 100% all challenges/collectibles. I had 1 collectible bug out on me where I collected it but it didn't count. I didn't notice until later when things were not adding up and I had already copied over the saves several times. Googling the issue showed other people had this bug as well and there was no fix but to start over. I shelved the game for 5 years before I decided it was time to return, start over, and clean it up.

• Like 1

Sucks. Only thing I remember "losing" saves on is WWE 2K19. I owned a physical disc and played a lot of it on PS4. Gave the disc to my cousins. Then played it through PS Now, but the digital version doesn't read the disc version's save files. I do not understand why they can't have a universal save format that can be read by different versions of the same game. Bought the physical version recently again last month. It shipped from the UK, and somehow it can't read either of my previous two save files.

On 11/7/2022 at 3:03 AM, AJ_Radio said:

Is there any game on your profile that you eventually finished, despite having a giant setback?

I had to restart Final Fantasy XIII from scratch at least 3 times.

Got a copy at launch, but only made it a few chapters in because I can't read Japanese. Then, after getting an English copy, my console YLoD and I lost my saves.