Your save data is lost. You pick yourself back up again

AJ_Radio

Quake PS5.

when the game was released (on ps4); entering any secret area crashed the save on ps4 and (later) on ps5, they patched it later but somehow the patch glitched a trophy to unobtainable, long story short a complete mess. 

Anyway I started with ps4 version at release and demons ate my save after 15h into game and a second time with ~5h into game. I was sad and the game sank into oblivion... 

... until ps5 was released, I started again on ps5 and demons ate my save

...again. I was sad and angry. 

I deactivated the automatic upload function on ps5 and started all over again. I saved the game every 5mins dropped out of the game uploaded my save manually, at this point I was just angry. I loved this game 25years ago but the real drive to finish this game was my infernal fury.

well ps4 is still unfinished... to be continued

EDIT: Almost forgot: my 64GB vita memory card died once, autoupload not activated. ?

Edited by Messknecht

Thankfully, I haven't had too many corrupt saves over the years, and the majority of the time I have, I've had backup saves from not too long ago. I've been especially unlucky with the Witcher and Dragon Age series. In the Witcher 1 (on PC), the game once crashed for me on a loading screen, when the game usually autosaves. After loading the game back up, the save was simply gone. Completely gone, no where to be seen in my save folder in Windows explorer. But thankfully I had a manual save from not too far back, so I didn't lose too much progress.

In the Witcher 2 (on 360), I had one save that didn't appear to be corrupted, but it just wouldn't ever load. It'd just be on loading screens indefinitely, but again, thankfully I had another save from not too far back, which loaded fine, and I just deleted the save that wouldn't load and created a new one.

In Dragon Age 2 (also on 360), autosaves kept corrupting on me for some reason, and what was worse, when an autosave corrupted, it said ALL my saves were corrupt. They weren't, as soon as I deleted the auto save or reloaded the game, the other saves worked again. I ended up dropping that game fairly early on since it just wasn't a particularly good game anyway, and the save issues weren't helping my (lack of) enjoyment.

Then in Dragon Age Inquisition (on Xbox One), the game decides to randomly crash while saving once, and that save is deleted. Once again, I thankfully have a save from around 15 minutes prior.

Also had a similar incident in Fallout 3 on the Xbox 360, where the game froze and became completely unresponsive during a loading screen, prompting me to have to force power down the console, which corrupted my autosave. Thankfully my last manual save was about 20 minutes ago, so didn't lose too much progress.

Being able to make multiple saves has been a lifesaver for me, and it's one of the reasons it always bothers me when a game only allows you one save, and/or only autosaves with no option for manual saves. I'm glad cloud saves are a thing nowadays, as it does give some extra reassurance in case of catastrophe, especially with games like that.

I haven't ever actually had memory cards go corrupt on me (well, aside from some dodgy, pre-owned third party Gamecube memory card I got once, which seemed to be corrupt from the get-go). I have occasionally lost saves long after I no longer really care about them anyway, like losing all my saves in Pokemon Gold, Silver and Crystal when the internal batteries died. I've been lucky in that I've never lost a significant amount of progress from corrupt/deleted saves, or power outages. Most I've ever lost was about an hour in Ratchet and Clank (first game) I think, when my PS3 decided to die while I left it on a pause screen (but thankfully I had backed up the previous save to PS+).

That being said, I have occasionally screwed up a 100% run or something in a game, and had to revert to an earlier save, if one exists. When I was going for the plat in Persona 4 Golden, I realised I messed up and forgot to do something multiple in-game days ago, and had to revert back to a save over 4 hours ago. It definitely killed my motivation and I remember putting the game down for a good few days, but I did go back to it and ended up achieving the plat.

I think the worst feeling, other than corrupt saves, is when you can't progress in a game because of a game breaking bug. I was very close to completing and platinuming some shit Zelda clone I got via PS+ called Legend of Kay a few years ago. Right near the end, some essential chest that spawns a key you need to open a door just simply wasn't spawning, no matter how many times I reloaded the last save and got back to that point. I did have another save from about 3-5 hours ago, but... The game wasn't that great anyway, and I just didn't have the motivation to replay those hours just to complete it, so I simply gave up on it.

My PS2 memory card is near 20 years old and it's still fine, never had any data corrupt, however I backed up some important saves on another third-party memory card just to be safe. Later this year I intend to buy a mc with OPL and Ulaunchel installed to finally make backups on my PC.

When my PS3 Fat got YLOD'd I lost pretty much everything on it. At the time my latest backup was about 6 months old, and the heaviest loss was by far my Just Cause 2 save which had almost 300 hours clocked in and over 98% completion (to clarify, JC2 is a massive game with thousands of collectables, check 'em out here). Afterwards I managed to get the platinum but never bothered to go for max completion again. Ever since the YLOD I made a habit of backing up all save data to USB drive or PS+ cloud storage after every single gaming session. 

Edited by GabrielMS13

8 hours ago, GabrielMS13 said:

My PS2 memory card is near 20 years old and it's still fine, never had any data corrupt, however I backed up some important saves on another third-party memory card just to be safe. Later this year I intend to buy a mc with OPL and Ulaunchel installed to finally make backups on my PC.

When my PS3 Fat got YLOD'd I lost pretty much everything on it. At the time my latest backup was about 6 months old, and the heaviest loss was by far my Just Cause 2 save which had almost 300 hours clocked in and over 98% completion (to clarify, JC2 is a massive game with thousands of collectables, check 'em out here). Afterwards I managed to get the platinum but never bothered to go for max completion again. Ever since the YLOD I made a habit of backing up all save data to USB drive or PS+ cloud storage after every single gaming session. 

I believe there is a glitch in Just Cause 2 that prevents you from 100%ing the game. Real slap in the face for completionists, but you only need 75 percent for the platinum. 

It’s still going to take you 70 - 80 hours or more, because that map is HUGE. I was taken aback by how big it was.

On 09/11/2022 at 9:29 PM, AJ_Radio said:

I believe there is a glitch in Just Cause 2 that prevents you from 100%ing the game. Real slap in the face for completionists, but you only need 75 percent for the platinum. 

Yes, a couple of collection items and destructible objects don't spawn at all, so the maximum possible completion on console is 99,95% I believe. There are mods for the PC version which add the missing items so 100% is possible there.

I was very close, damn YLOD...

Edited by GabrielMS13
typo

On 10/11/2022 at 0:29 AM, AJ_Radio said:

It’s still going to take you 70 - 80 hours or more, because that map is HUGE. I was taken aback by how big it was.

This^

If I remember right, 1 of the Oil Rigs is bugged and won't progress beyond a certain point, thus preventing you from 100%ing the game :(.

In regards to corrupt files, the only save I ever lost was for Final Fantasy XII on the PS2. It's all I played one summer vacation and it was around 120-150 hours at least. I had beaten the game and was working on the post game grind for super bosses. The day it happened I had played it for a few hours and I was getting hungry so I decided to save and quit; my hand gently tapped the memory card as I moved in anticipation to turn the console off. That gentle touch caused it to corrupt the save while saving and all that time was poof, gone. I have not played FFXII since then.

After that, the next closest thing would be all the saves and trophies I lost when my original PS3 got the YLOD. I managed to get back most of said trophies but some of the games I no longer own, thoug a few I'd like to re-attain. Alpha Protocol is at the top of that lost.

The most recent one was on the PS4, but it was more a bug or glitch with game. Last year I played Kingdom Come: Deliverance, it is a really great and immersive RPG that I sunk over 200 hours into my first playthrough. Unfortunately, playing any part of the last DLC (for the Royal Edition at least) causes an endless loading screen for one of the last main campaign missions so I was not able to finish the game on that save sadly. The experience gutted me pretty badly and I made a half hearted attempt to start over after diagnosing the cause but I lost the will a half hour in. This year though I did come back to it and finished it 100%. Still hoping for news on a sequel. 

Edited by da-Noob123

2 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

The most recent one was on the PS4, but it was more a bug or glitch with game. Last year I played Kingdom Come: Deliverance, it is a really great and immersive RPG that I sunk over 200 hours into my first playthrough. Unfortunately, playing any part of the last DLC (for the Royal Edition at least) causes an endless loading screen for one of the last main campaign missions so I was not able to finish the game on that save sadly. The experience gutted me pretty badly and I made a half hearted attempt to start over after diagnosing the cause but I lost the will a half hour in. This though I did come back to it and finished it 100%. Still hoping for news on a sequel. 

It sucks they never fixed that glitch and it's still there after all these years :(.

I don't think I've ever had a corrupted save file, but I have had a game and the save file with it glitch out on me.  The Last of Us Remastered.  One of the collectibles, the comics or something....I collected all of them, but it said I missed one in one chapter.  Replayed chapter a few times and made sure I had gotten everything and I had, but it still showed 9/10 or 11/12 or whatever the amount of the collectible was.  I figured it was the game.  I had a friend at the local GameStop who graciously switched my copy for a brand new one.  Went home, put it in, same thing.  If I remember correctly, I think I had to delete the glitched save file and start a whole brand new game just to collect that one collectible, but I went ahead and collected every collectible again just to be sure.  Finally, it popped and I earned the platinum.  In hindsight, it wasn't so bad.  Just a little annoying.

Lego Marvel Superheroes (PS3).  Again, not a glitched save file, but a glitch that prevented me from the platinum.  There was some collectible or red brick or whatever that needed to be dug up out of the ground and you need to use Wolverine with his claws to dig it up (if I remember correctly.)  Anyways, I had Wolverine and went to the spot and no prompt would appear allowing you to press the circle or square button so Wolvie could dig up the collectible.  I think I was already 20 to 30 hours into the game and at that point I didn't know if it was the disc or maybe somehow the save file causing it or whatever, but I just couldn't be bothered trying to figure it out or get another disc or start from scratch.  I didn't really enjoy the game anyway.  I enjoy Lego games, but that one not so much.  I couldn't be assed with it. 

I've so many cases about losing saves, let's see if I remember them all:

- The 2nd generation of Pokémon games for game boy color had its saves stored in battery-backed SRAM chip. As any other batteries, those inside the cartridges for those games had a lifetime of between 5 to 10 years depending on its use. Had two almost complete saves of Pokemon Silver (Pokedex at 220+ entries) die years after I finished playing, first time I didn't even knew that could be an issue, second time around I just lived with the fact that may save would die a few years down the line. Unfortunately, the only way to make those saves stay alive is to have a gameshark or something similar to make a backup to an external device since swapping the battery before it dies also kills the save.

- Back on Playstation 1, lost my save of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 because my younger brother unknowingly overwritten my save with a save from another game. Got pissed at him, especially because I had to played a lot of time to finish it the first time around. Second time around was so much faster, it was like second nature.

- Lost many saves of my PC games due to not knowing where they were located or how to backup them up when switching between a old and new PC. Most of them were RTS games, so I just used in-games codes to skip the missions.

- Now onto Playstation 3, this one console made me lose SO MANY saves it's not even fun:

1. First time around, I was playing the game called sportsfriends that was available for free as PS Plus game. Played like 30 minutes, hated everything about it. Decided to remove it from my profile (Had unlocked 1 trophy already), so I had to delete my whole profile. Didn't read the caution messages properly when trying to delete it, it said all saves tied to that profile would be gone. Ugh. Fortunately I had backups of many games on Plus Cloud, but not all of them, including a save on Demon's Souls with all 'Pure' stones on it that I had gotten from an online guy who kindly dropped to me. Also lost my Tomb Raider multiplayer save at level 60, fortunately I had the platinum back then and I didn't care about it anymore.

2. Second time around was in december 2018: console's fan died, it couldn't stay on for more than 2 minutes before auto turning off so I had to take it to a repair shop. After it got repaired, I booted up and made backup saves of all games that could be backed up to a USB device...but some copy-protected saves I didn't backup due to not having PS Plus at the time. Oh my how I regretted not forking the money for at least one month, because after doing making backups of all saves I could, I went ahead and decided to launch the console in safe mode to run option 3 (Restore File System), since the system was turned off improperly so many times due to overheating. Well, it turned that the file system was corrupt but couldn't be recovered, even though I could start system with no problems just a few minutes before, and the system now would always boot in safe mode and try to recover the file system, but it wouldn't complete because it was corrupted (a.k.a It was f***ed). Had to perform a whole harddrive format which erases everything, so I lost these saves: Dragon Ball Xenoverse with over 200 hours and almost 90% of clothes/accessories/gear in the inventory, not counting all skills and Z rank on all main and side missions; Lost a Demon's Souls platinumed save, had a backup of it, but it was about 20 to 30 hours behind the save I lost; Silent Hill: Downpour saves; J-Stars Victory Vs + save around 50 hour mark. Some of those I'm still trying to get back to the point they were, even though I had the platinum for those games, I liked to revisit them...Oh, almost forgot, lost a 80 hours GTA San Andreas PS2 Classic save and Chrono Cross save at 10 hours. Terrible memories from this.

3. Some months later, in february 2019, the motherboard on that same ps3 decided to die. Repair shop again, but this time they decided to wipe my hdd just because. RAGE. Lost Bioshock 2 saves + DLC saves, Bioshock Infinite DLC saves and a Batman Arkham Origins midway through. That was the final straw on it, I decided that would not ever lose a save anymore on playstation console due stupid stuff like that: I subbed to PS Plus even if the only benefit for me was automatic backup to cloud storage. It has been over 3 years so far, didn't lose a single save since then but the system had to be taken to a repair shop a few times, so just knowing the maximum I'd ever lose was a day of gaming made much more relieved.

In regards to PS1 and PS2 classics, I always make backups after playing them, since there is no automatic upload for those. And for my PC/emulation games, I keep backups of most of them in a dropbox.

Edited by Otonio_Bruno
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 11:52 AM, Spider-Man916 said:

I don't think I've ever had a corrupted save file, but I have had a game and the save file with it glitch out on me.  The Last of Us Remastered.  One of the collectibles, the comics or something....I collected all of them, but it said I missed one in one chapter.  Replayed chapter a few times and made sure I had gotten everything and I had, but it still showed 9/10 or 11/12 or whatever the amount of the collectible was.  I figured it was the game.  I had a friend at the local GameStop who graciously switched my copy for a brand new one.  Went home, put it in, same thing.  If I remember correctly, I think I had to delete the glitched save file and start a whole brand new game just to collect that one collectible, but I went ahead and collected every collectible again just to be sure.  Finally, it popped and I earned the platinum.  In hindsight, it wasn't so bad.  Just a little annoying.

Interesting. I’ll be playing this game this coming year, will be finishing up the online and then I’ll enjoy the single player at my own pace. 

Always sucks to start over. It’s why I back up my saves constantly. On the PS4 (and I imagine the PS5 also) I leave my console on during the early morning hours because my saves automatically get transferred to the Cloud. If I don’t have physical USB backup, the Cloud is a nice second option, which ended up saving me on a couple occasions.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Interesting. I’ll be playing this game this coming year, will be finishing up the online and then I’ll enjoy the single player at my own pace. 

Always sucks to start over. It’s why I back up my saves constantly. On the PS4 (and I imagine the PS5 also) I leave my console on during the early morning hours because my saves automatically get transferred to the Cloud. If I don’t have physical USB backup, the Cloud is a nice second option, which ended up saving me on a couple occasions.

Yes.  It is my habit to always save to the cloud after a gaming session.  The thing is my backup save for TLOU was glitched as well.  Shit happens.  Just gotta press on. 

• Like 2

I think most people are aware of how obnoxious to say the very least the platinum for Star Ocean 4 is,  well I had over 80% trophy completion and around 75% of the battle trophies when my PS3 died..and some may remember that few games didn't allow you to copy their save...this was one of them, I lost I think 500 hours or so and all motivation I had, I bought it recently for PS4 so I might give it a go but I'm forever scarred.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lost my MGS4 saves when my old PS3 got YLoD. Normally I was very keen on backing up my saves but that was some hectic days and I totally forgot about backing up even though the PS3 had recovered from some starting failures around that time.

Never got the courage and patience to pick it back up as i hate repeating the same game play again. I was right in the middle of my full stealth run and has already finish most of the time consuming trophies..

Edited by Maverick6146
  • Like 1