Servers Now Down

I was playing coop with my alt when it shut down at 11:40pm PST 11/9. Bummer as I only had a couple trophies left after cgetting Billion Dollar Babies. Oh well. RIP. *Note. It still says connection successful at the main screen banner however leaderboards won't work and you cannot create a server for coop.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Afro_Gear said:

I was playing coop with my alt when it shut down at 11:40pm PST 11/9. Bummer as I only had a couple trophies left after cgetting Billion Dollar Babies. Oh well. RIP. *Note. It still says connection successful at the main screen banner however leaderboards won't work and you cannot create a server for coop.

This game's online has always been a pain in terms of how the online worked. I had to get 7 partners to do this games online due to the fact damnge.inc refused to unlock and when I kept trying it wouldn't let me connect to the person I was in a game with so I had to get another person

• Like 1

4 hours ago, POEman553 said:

Now the servers are shut down, can anyone confirm that what's left of the game is still playable? I know it would freeze if it couldn't connect to the EA servers in the past.

Still playable, I had no issues with freezing after the shutdown. Game was stable all the way to platinum.

• Like 2

It froze if the EA agreement wasnt agreed to on a pre 2008 game (Orange Box, MOH Airborne, BFBC), but once thats agreed to it will last on your EA Origin account as long as you are connected to psn, even if the server for the game is down. So it will be playable and probably run a lot better offline.

• Like 1

On 9.11.2022 at 0:45 PM, DaniloSouza84 said:

The server down when I was about to get the 1 billion trophy. 1f62d.png

That’s all on you when you wait until the very last day to do it. You had more than 2 months for this since the announcement. In fact you had a total of 14 years.

13 hours ago, POEman553 said:

Now the servers are shut down, can anyone confirm that what's left of the game is still playable? I know it would freeze if it couldn't connect to the EA servers in the past.

That’s because of the not yet accepted Terms and Conditions which cannot be agreed upon anymore in Mercs 2 as it will lead to a game freeze due to a bug. You would have to do it in another old EA game from that era like The Orange Box or Battlefield: Bad Company. Otherwise game works fine for all the SP stuff.

There are 6 trophies that should be unobtainable from now on, 2 pure online trophies for getting $1M and $1B while being connected to the servers and 4 online co-op trophies.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, z99f said:

Yeah it's horrible that someone would go 14 years without ever having played this mediocre title until it was announced for shutdown... how could they commit such a crime. 

In all seriousness, he isn't even complaining that it's 'unfair' or that EA should 'unlock the trophies for him', he's just stating that he couldn't finish in time. No need to scold him like a child for something he's probably already well aware of.  

He did feel the need to complain though and let everyone know that he’s hurting. That’s enough reason for me to dip my finger into the wound so it hurts a little more. Maybe even enough so that he learns from his mistake (mainly laziness) and do better next time when the next shutdown comes. And it will come.

You know what I did? Almost as soon as the shutdown was announced, I bought a second copy got to work and got shit done in time without bothering anyone.

On 09/11/2022 at 0:45 PM, DaniloSouza84 said:

The server down when I was about to get the 1 billion trophy. 1f62d.png

Sorry to hear that. In the case of someone I was desperately trying to help in time, they had ordered the game with plenty of time to spare but their copy of Medal of Honor: Airborne got lost in the post and they were only able to get started on the 8th. I asked why they had left it to the last minute and that was the answer. I still helped him as best I could, but I suggested a "triage" - do you want me to stay up until 4.30AM my time to get the airstrike trophy or do you want to get the Millionaire and Billionaire trophy and see if we can get airstrikes done when I wake up? He chose the latter. And like you, he just narrowly missed out on the 1B trophy. I even showed him how to do the helicopter winch glitch in person in coop, then sent him a video and detailed notes. I feel your pain.

If EA had switched the servers off at close of business on the 9th instead of the start of businesses, he would have got everything done.

Interestingly, he said that in his experience EA servers closed some time after 8AM Central Time. This seems to have been the case here as well. I had said to numerous people "I wonder what time the servers will actually close, it would be helpful to know that". Bear this in mind for the future.

8 hours ago, z99f said:

Yeah it's horrible that someone would go 14 years without ever having played this mediocre title until it was announced for shutdown... how could they commit such a crime. 

In all seriousness, he isn't even complaining that it's 'unfair' or that EA should 'unlock the trophies for him', he's just stating that he couldn't finish in time. No need to scold him like a child for something he's probably already well aware of.  

I have to say, I was asked by a friend to get this game to help him get the MP trophies. I'd never heard of it before. I found the game to be really fun and technically impressive for a game from 2008. I helped a bunch of people with boosting and I'm a bit sick of it at the moment - the airstrike trophy sucked beyond belief - but I will certainly have fun with it later.

I can see how this game was legit a blast in coop and it's a miracle EA actually kept a server up for 14 years in the first place!

As to your second point, there either needs to be a rule that single player games (which Sony are famous for and excel at) either DON'T have any MP trophies and have a separate MP list for, or all games have to have the option for either private servers or LAN or P2P baked into the cake at release. I've pointed out before the trophy rarity issue for MP trophies - on this site and on PSN itself. The vast majority of gamers do not want multiplayer trophies in their single player games and the trophy rarities prove it. A dedicated MP/online game is of course another matter.

There is absolutely no excuse for trophies to become unobtainable. 

Peer-to-Peer (P2P) solves all the problems - if no server is found then there's no problem. The only possible issue with this is that save games can be corrupted and progress lost as the data is likely local, not on a server.

XLink Kai solves this too if there is LAN.

I don't know too much about this but someone told me that Dice games have private servers available on PlayStation. Even if that isn't the case it makes no difference. You can earn trophies in private matches most of the time, who cares what server it's on? Oh no, the servers might get hacked! Yeah, a bunch of people I know got the Level 50 trophy in RDR1 instantly the other day because they accidentally found a hacked server. There were tons of hackers on Uncharted 3 MP, and that's a Sony exclusive. I emailed Naughty Dog dozens of times to report hackers and they did nothing. So I don't want to hear anything from Sony about "there might be hackers" because they blatantly don't care. 

The bottom line is, making trophies unobtainable in the age of digital is unacceptable. I mean, making digital games unavailable is arguably worse, but still (yes I know about licensing issues and whatever) redundancy should be built in to avoid all this. It wouldn't cost much to implement.

1 hour ago, Prototype1690 said:

He did feel the need to complain though and let everyone know that he’s hurting. That’s enough reason for me to dip my finger into the wound so it hurts a little more.

I helped ten people get their MP trophies for this game. I'll remember you next time you ask for someone to help you boost a trophy.*

If Sony emailed us to warn us about server closures, I might agree. But we have to find this information out ourselves and that in itself is ridiculous.

*I'll still help you, but try and be a bit nicer in future. We the gamers are getting screwed by this, don't blame players.

Edited by baboon_overlord

3 hours ago, NxtDoc said:

Such an amazing game.  And fun as hell Co op.  Wish we would get a 3

Mercenaries 3: No Limits was in early development at Pandemic, when EA decided to shut down the studio in 2010 I think. There’s a few minutes of gameplay found on YouTube, probably a pre-alpha build.

4 hours ago, baboon_overlord said:

Sorry to hear that. In the case of someone I was desperately trying to help in time, they had ordered the game with plenty of time to spare but their copy of Medal of Honor: Airborne got lost in the post and they were only able to get started on the 8th. I asked why they had left it to the last minute and that was the answer. I still helped him as best I could, but I suggested a "triage" - do you want me to stay up until 4.30AM my time to get the airstrike trophy or do you want to get the Millionaire and Billionaire trophy and see if we can get airstrikes done when I wake up? He chose the latter. And like you, he just narrowly missed out on the 1B trophy. I even showed him how to do the helicopter winch glitch in person in coop, then sent him a video and detailed notes. I feel your pain.

If EA had switched the servers off at close of business on the 9th instead of the start of businesses, he would have got everything done.

Interestingly, he said that in his experience EA servers closed some time after 8AM Central Time. This seems to have been the case here as well. I had said to numerous people "I wonder what time the servers will actually close, it would be helpful to know that". Bear this in mind for the future.

I have to say, I was asked by a friend to get this game to help him get the MP trophies. I'd never heard of it before. I found the game to be really fun and technically impressive for a game from 2008. I helped a bunch of people with boosting and I'm a bit sick of it at the moment - the airstrike trophy sucked beyond belief - but I will certainly have fun with it later.

I can see how this game was legit a blast in coop and it's a miracle EA actually kept a server up for 14 years in the first place!

As to your second point, there either needs to be a rule that single player games (which Sony are famous for and excel at) either DON'T have any MP trophies and have a separate MP list for, or all games have to have the option for either private servers or LAN or P2P baked into the cake at release. I've pointed out before the trophy rarity issue for MP trophies - on this site and on PSN itself. The vast majority of gamers do not want multiplayer trophies in their single player games and the trophy rarities prove it. A dedicated MP/online game is of course another matter.

There is absolutely no excuse for trophies to become unobtainable. 

Peer-to-Peer (P2P) solves all the problems - if no server is found then there's no problem. The only possible issue with this is that save games can be corrupted and progress lost as the data is likely local, not on a server.

XLink Kai solves this too if there is LAN.

I don't know too much about this but someone told me that Dice games have private servers available on PlayStation. Even if that isn't the case it makes no difference. You can earn trophies in private matches most of the time, who cares what server it's on? Oh no, the servers might get hacked! Yeah, a bunch of people I know got the Level 50 trophy in RDR1 instantly the other day because they accidentally found a hacked server. There were tons of hackers on Uncharted 3 MP, and that's a Sony exclusive. I emailed Naughty Dog dozens of times to report hackers and they did nothing. So I don't want to hear anything from Sony about "there might be hackers" because they blatantly don't care. 

The bottom line is, making trophies unobtainable in the age of digital is unacceptable. I mean, making digital games unavailable is arguably worse, but still (yes I know about licensing issues and whatever) redundancy should be built in to avoid all this. It wouldn't cost much to implement.

I helped ten people get their MP trophies for this game. I'll remember you next time you ask for someone to help you boost a trophy.*

If Sony emailed us to warn us about server closures, I might agree. But we have to find this information out ourselves and that in itself is ridiculous.

*I'll still help you, but try and be a bit nicer in future. We the gamers are getting screwed by this, don't blame players.

I’m just having problems if people complain and want to subtly shift away the blame for their misfortunes from themselves to somebody else. It’s not just simply always the “bad evil game developer” shutting down servers or “bad and evil Sony” for not informing players at least 6 months in advance. If anything, the only people one should really be mad at in such cases of a shutdown are those few individuals, who program and design online trophies/achievements. Maybe not even those, but the person who decides upon that matter.

4 hours ago, vvinushan said:

My goodness. If anyone were to say that the sun rises every morning, I'm sure someone on PSNProfiles will find a way to belittle/scold or argue with them 1f611.png

Can’t always have rainbows, sunshine and unicorns since we are not in Happy People Land where everybody lives in peace and unison.

Edited by Prototype1690

1 hour ago, Prototype1690 said:

Mercenaries 3: No Limits was in early development at Pandemic, when EA decided to shut down the studio in 2010 I think. There’s a few minutes of gameplay found on YouTube, probably a pre-alpha build.

There was a rumour floating around a couple of years back that Dice were making a mercenaries game. Let's see if it ever comes true. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

once again im late for the party. i wish there was some notification on psnprofiles like "hey, in one of you games servers become offline soon!" =(

kinda sad that im already done half of tropies including coop ones... shame. one more reason to hate singleplayer(!) trophies that require online servers.

welp, i guess this game was in my backlog for too long, after all

Edited by Voland44

• 4 months later...