Playstation 5 a flop?

vanessaking2

My PS4 broke down in january this year. Despite the worldwide shortages, I found a PS5 in the store within 3 weeks. (fck you, scalpers). 

Although I miss some features - like themes -, the PS5 is just better in every way. We have gone from one global crisis to another since the release.

The PS5 is definitely not a flop. 

I can hardly call it a flop when 2 years after being released you can't still go to a store to buy one in most countries.

I do think there's a lack of exclusives, however the same happened with the PS4 and is now one of the best selling consoles of all time.

Edited by Ninjise

25 minutes ago, mega-tallica said:

The fact they are still releasing games is why people are still playing the PS4 instead especially considering all of these cross-gen games are only marginally better on the PS5. 

Not really giving people a big incentive to buy a PS5 until the PS4 is completely abandoned. Continued support of the PS4 is only holding everything back which includes getting PS5 quality games which we don't yet have really. If we had those next-gen exclusive games that look and feel like a next-gen game, that'd definitely entice more people to buy the console. 

The good news is that we are finally starting to see the transition and the PS4 is getting abandoned and more developers are focusing entirely on the PS5 and its advanced hardware which will only produce better quality games on the PS5 and what people expected out of the PS5 to begin with. Not just be a console that plays slightly juiced up PS4 games as it currently stands now. 

Supporting a last gen console is nothing new at the beginning of a new console’s launch. Publishers want to maximize profits so of course they aren’t going to limit potential sales by only focusing on the launch console. 

People don’t need an added incentive to purchase a new console. The incentive is the new console is better and plays better games. Games take years to develop. You have games releasing on both PS5 and PS4 because those games were started on the old hardware and then improved for the new. Eventually it becomes commercially viable to only focus on the new console. That takes longer than two years. 

Edited by PalaceOfLove706
Fixed

The PS5 has struggled with supply issues, which has hindered sales to a degree, but to call it a "flop" is hyperbolic in the least and patently stupid at worst. Sales figures are solid and will continue to grow as the console becomes easier to find, more quality first-party titles will come along and the brand will continue to thrive. Same with Xbox, both are making a solid showing in this generation and gamers are eating good.

6 minutes ago, boorish_brute said:

Never understood why people romanticize the past generation of consoles so much. How many good PS4 exclusive titles were there 2 years into its cycle? Nearly all great PS4 titles were towards the end of its lifespan. PS5 is clearly doing better imho.

Hard disagree. The PS4 had INSANE hype surrounding its release and had huge titles drop in 2014/2015. The PS5 had almost nothing exclusive in 2021 worth owning one for and it's only NOW that the console is finally starting to pick up steam with titles that showcase what the system is capable of.

There was also far better third party and indie support for PS4 on launch, as well as a lot more Japanese talent dropping great games. PS5 is getting insane amounts of bullshit shovelware with a few decent titles sprinkled in here and there (that are still not entirely exclusive to PS5).

Edited by SegaJAM
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, SegaJAM said:

Hard disagree. The PS4 had INSANE hype surrounding its release and had huge titles drop in 2014/2015. The PS5 had almost nothing exclusive in 2021 worth owning one for and it's only NOW that the console is finally starting to pick up steam with titles that showcase what the system is capable of.

There was also far better third party and indie support for PS4 on launch, as well as a lot more Japanese talent dropping great games. PS5 is getting insane amounts of bullshit shovelware with a few decent titles sprinkled in here and there (that are still not entirely exclusive to PS5).

What huge games launched for the PS4? Knack and a bunch of incomplete sports games? The PS5’s launch was superior especially given the fact it’s backward compatible. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, vanessaking2 said:

I read this and now I am glad that I do not own a PS5 yet. I am happy with my PS4.

If Sony does not act soon it will become the biggest Playstation flop.

What are you even talking about? The console is selling pretty well even considering there were a lack of PS5 due to components scarcity.

33 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

What huge games launched for the PS4? Knack and a bunch of incomplete sports games? The PS5’s launch was superior especially given the fact it’s backward compatible. 

We're discussing the console's performance in 2 years time. Here's a reminder of the quantity/variety of titles the PS4 received after launch.

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/year/ps4/all?year_selected=2014

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/year/ps4/filtered?year_selected=2015

• Like 1

The ONLY reason my PS4 Pro is still hooked up anymore is because I use it for its media player. The PS5 has a very rudimentary one built in, but it has low functionality and can barely read most of my files. I'd love if the PS5 actually got a dedicated media player to actually retire my PS4 at this point, one less console plugged in. 

Other than that the PS5 plays most PS4 games better than PS4, and while I may regret paying full price for it (I usually wait until I can find a price drop), I've enjoyed it every day since I got it. 

In no way, shape, form or fashion is the PS5 a flop. The system sold out from day 1, and you're now reduced to finding it online somewhere at a reasonable price minus the scalpers. Now, you could find it in stores, but you'll have to literally call around and see when the store's going to have it back in stock. Plus, with the holiday season/sales quickly approaching, you'll be even more hard pressed to find one before mid December. PlayStation does send out emails about their PS direct that'll have you in queue on buying one from them directly, but even then, you'll now be faced with the shipping times and potential delays. There's a reason why you'll have a challenging time finding a PS5 more than finding a XBOX Series X; as those you can find a bit more frequently. 

Edited by kidson2004
  • Like 2

Not a flop. Its sold out constantly unless you know where to look. Actually 9 times out of 10, people dont want to put in effort.

I've helped at least 9 people get a PS5 quite easily. Some not even in my country. So.

Sales arent where they expect but thats the chip shortage. Otherwise consoles are still selling.

Only reason people with PS4 still get any love is because Sony wanted some games in as many hands as possible at release. With PS5 shortages, they released Forbidden West and Ragnarok on last gen as well. Personally i wouldn't have but again. its sales. its money.

Eventually and hopefully soon, ps4 stops getting new games. Put in the effort, save your god damned money and buy a ps5 like the redt of us have.

System isnt a flop. The fanbase without a ps5 is

It's not a question of it being a flop, since it clearly isn't. I don't see anyone burying truckloads of PS5s in the desert because they don't sell. I'd say it's a question whether or not people who bought it are satisfied with it. Personally, I have mixed feelings. Some good stuff, some pretty disappointing. Understandable to some extent, but still disappointing.