Playstation 5 a flop?

vanessaking2

43 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I'm fairly certain I pointed this out previously in this very thread, but at this point in the PS4's life cycle the only memorable exclusive it had (also the only one with more than 80 on Metacritic) was Bloodborne. It wasn't until 2016 and beyond that all the games we remember the PS4 for started to come out - Horizon, Uncharted, God of War, TLoU2, etc. The early PS4 exclusives, while adequate, were hardly remarkable. Who in 2022 is still talking about Until Dawn, Infamous, Driveclub, or Knack? Not many people, if any, because while all these games were adequate, that's all they really managed to be.

Meanwhile the PS5 has already had several hits, even if you refuse to qualify cross-gen PS5 games as exclusives. Demon's Souls satisfies the Soulsborne fans' cravings, this time without the terribly frame paced 30 fps, and on top of that we have two very well reviewed exclusives in Rift Apart and Returnal. But in reality we have far more than that, because releasing on PS4 as well does not change the fact that God of War and Horizon Forbidden West are fantastic Playstation exclusives, far better than anything released in the first few years of the PS4's lifecycle. And that's to say nothing of the other less impressive exclusives such as Sackboy and Gran Turismo 7.

Nevermind the fact that you can play almost all of the PS4's exclusives in 4k and 60 fps, which by itself would guarantee a strong launch for PS5 compared to PS4.

The PS3 launch was worse than the PS4 launch. 

Wait until 2030 comes around, and see if people are still talking about Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HelixNebula_x said:

I don't think it's the fact that we think people shouldn't make critical opinions. Just that every post you make is the same damn one.

We get it: California - bad. Modern day games - bad. 80's/90's - REAL SHIT.

Get some fresh takes and people might shit on you less.

People aren't going to listen to my fresh takes anyway, so I don't care to bring them up.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

Impulsive purchase is what we all did wasn't it? No one really knew how the first two years would go unless you would claim to know the future. I honestly thought I would use my ps5 more with what we knew, but yeah I was disappointed. No one except op is calling it a flop by the way in case you haven't noticed.

I mean it’s worse for Xbox they haven’t even had one must buy killer exclusive in 2 years. Poor bastards

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

sometimes I think u must complain just for complaining sake

this post makes zero sense

It makes perfect sense.

The other guy said "Who in 2022 is still talking about Until Dawn, Infamous, Driveclub, or Knack?". So its a logical and valid response to ask whos gonna care about rift apart, returnal or the DS remake? Those games have already been put up on ps+.

3 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

And that's to say nothing of the other less impressive exclusives such as Sackboy and Gran Turismo 7.

A bit of an understatement. GT7 is the worst user rated sony game and looks worse than Driveclub. Sackboy isn't exclusive, its on PC and you don't need to pay sony tax to play online.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JediKnight_327 said:

The other guy said "Who in 2022 is still talking about Until Dawn, Infamous, Driveclub, or Knack?". So its a logical and valid response to ask whos gonna care about rift apart, returnal or the DS remake? Those games have already been put up on ps+.

I fail to see how them having been on PS+ makes them any less memorable exclusives. This isn't 2016, where PS+ games consist of ten dollar indies.

A bit of an understatement. GT7 is the worst user rated sony game and looks worse than Driveclub. Sackboy isn't exclusive, its on PC and you don't need to pay sony tax to play online.

Yes, Gran Turismo has shitty microtransactions and that resulted in the game being review bombed. Driveclub's hardly much better, given that it had dozens of different DLC packs, so many that it needed a second trophy list to accommodate all the DLC trophies. It still received glowing reviews from critics, a trait not shared with Driveclub.

And again, even if Gran Turismo 7 is underwhelming, so was every PS4 exclusive at this point in its life cycle. (With, again, the exception of Bloodborne.) The argument that the PS5 is somehow lacking in exclusives is purely the result of rose tinted glasses. People were complaining about the PS4 not having any good exclusives for years, and unlike this generation of complainers, they were actually right.

• Like 2

A bit of an understatement. GT7 is the worst user rated sony game and looks worse than Driveclub. 

As someone who has actually played both games, and as someone who also considers DriveClub the best racer of last gen, this statement simply isn't true. Not even close. DriveClub does in fact have some of the best weather effects I've ever seen in a game, that much is true, but as for the overall visual package, GT7 has it beat hands down. 

I don't focus on user reviews, because practically every big release gets review bombed to death these days over one thing or another. I don't consider user reviews to be worth a shit, which is precisely why I avoid them like the plague. And despite some issues, GT7 was a fantastic entry imo, for what it's worth. I absolutely loved it. 

I think Sony could have put out the most incredible lineup of all time in these first 2 years and people would still be shitting on it. In fact they have put out an incredibly solid lineup and people are still doing just that. Damned if they do, damned if they don't ?

• Like 4

On 11/11/2022 at 4:41 AM, MonaSaxPayne said:

sometimes I think u must complain just for complaining sake

this post makes zero sense

It makes a lot of sense actually. The other guy said in the same post that nobody remembered Driveclub and Infamous these days when trying to shit on the PS4 while at the same time praising games like Returnal and Rift apart when trying to hype the PS5. Well, let's see how many people "remember" those games in 2032 then. I'm pretty sure that they will be seen in a similar way 10 years after their release, which I think was his point.

But I think that guy must be pretty hated here, everyone going against him is getting a lot of upvotes (even to simply say "your post makes zero sense") LMAO.

Edited by GregHouse007
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 3:40 AM, Darling Baphomet said:

I'm fairly certain I pointed this out previously in this very thread, but at this point in the PS4's life cycle the only memorable exclusive it had (also the only one with more than 80 on Metacritic) was Bloodborne.

Meanwhile the PS5 has already had several hits, even if you refuse to qualify cross-gen PS5 games as exclusives.

But you have to "refuse" to consider those games, because they really are not PS5 exclusives if I can play them in my PS4. You are talking as if people here are buying an Xbox instead of a PS5. I'm not buying either because I don't see a reason to upgrade yet. You need to stop looking at it from a PS vs Xbox perspective and see it more from a PS4 vs PS5 perpective.

You say Bloodborne was the only exclusive. It wasn't, the PS4 was FILLED with great exclusives if you only had a PS3 back at the end of 2015, FILLED with them. You needed to buy one, or an Xbox one or a gaming PC or something to play literally everything that was releasing. That's not the case these days. I can play everything you play just fine. The only thing PS5 has that I can't play are Returnal, Rift Apart and Demon Souls (which I already have 300 hours played in my PS3 anyway). And I'm ok missing that. That's not enough. What else you've got that I'm missing? When it's something substantial, then I'm buying a PS5. Right now it's not worth it from my point of view just to get better loading times and slightly better graphics on the same games I'm playing.

8 minutes ago, GregHouse007 said:

But you have to "refuse" to consider those games, because they really are not PS5 exclusives if I can play them in my PS4. You are talking as if people here are buying an Xbox instead of a PS5. I'm not buying either because I don't see a reason to upgrade yet. You need to stop looking at it from a PS vs Xbox perspective and see it more from a PS4 vs PS5 perpective.

You say Bloodborne was the only exclusive. It wasn't, the PS4 was FILLED with great exclusives if you only had a PS3 back at the end of 2015, FILLED with them. You needed to buy one, or an Xbox one or a gaming PC or something to play literally everything that was releasing. That's not the case these days. I can play everything you play just fine. The only thing PS5 has that I can't play are Returnal, Rift Apart and Demon Souls (which I already have 300 hours played in my PS3 anyway). And I'm ok missing that. That's not enough. What else you've got that I'm missing? When it's something substantial, then I'm buying a PS5. Right now it's not worth it from my point of view just to get better loading times and slightly better graphics on the same games I'm playing.

In fairness, there was never a single “exclusive” for the PS4 Pro… but it was still a good purchase IMO, because of the increase in the experience of playing the games. 
I could have played them all on PS4… but the experience was improved on the PS4 Pro, and that improvement was worth the cost of admission.

I see the PS5 in a similar light right now - not a necessity, but a preferable increase in experience that is worth the cost - not unlike buying a new graphics card for a Gaming PC.

Plus, it has the added benefit of the exclusive games, which are limited right now, but in future, will be much more plentiful.

It’s future-proofing in that sense, I guess.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

In fairness, there was never a single “exclusive” for the PS4 Pro… but it was still a good purchase IMO, because of the increase in the experience of playing the games. 
I could have played them all on PS4… but the experience was improved on the PS4 Pro, and that improvement was worth the cost of admission.

I see the PS5 in a similar light right now - not a necessity, but a preferable increase in experience that is worth the cost - not unlike buying a new graphics card for a Gaming PC.

Plus, it has the added benefit of the exclusive games, which are limited right now, but in future, will be much more plentiful.

It’s future-proofing in that sense, I guess.

Sure. We all value different things. I'm all about gameplay, I've been gaming since a long time and I kind of felt that "PS3 graphics" was already "good enough" in that regard back then, that's why I never cared for a PS4 Pro. But a person that puts more value into graphics than me may see a good investment on a PS4 pro, and thus a PS5 would be a great investment then (because right now with what it offers, PS5 looks like a "PS4 pro pro" to me). I would simply buy a gaming PC if I were to put that much emphasis on graphics though.

The thing is that is taking so long for exclusives to arrive to the point I will probably upgrade to a "PS5 Pro" directly by the time there is a meaningful amount of exclusives that makes me want to buy one

Edited by GregHouse007
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

As someone who has actually played both games, and as someone who also considers DriveClub the best racer of last gen, this statement simply isn't true. Not even close. DriveClub does in fact have some of the best weather effects I've ever seen in a game, that much is true, but as for the overall visual package, GT7 has it beat hands down. 

Considering Driveclub came out in 2014, 8 years ago, I agree 100% about the weather effects. The game is visually pleasing and I spent many happy hours on the game, plus the PSVR version (shoutout to the people who I played with a few years ago)

Given the age of Driveclub, it still looks really good, even on an original 2013 PS4. GT7 came out 7 and a half years later. Polyphony has a history of making the GT games look fantastic every time, so it makes perfect sense to me. 

Regardless, I agree wholeheartedly about Driveclub, despite my biased nostalgia and love for the series.  

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 8:09 AM, MandA60VISE said:

Personally, I don't have a PS5 yet because there's no must have games on it yet for me. 

This is my sentiment as well.  If the PSVR2 turns out to be as good as I hope, then it may persuade me to empty the bank.  Otherwise, I’m going to sit on my funds and wait.

My only question is: why is this thread more than one page long?

It was posted by the same person who started the "Series X outsold PS5" thread. Which was actually based on data from single week sales in one country. Or something like that.

Should've been dismissed as nonsense or troll, yet there are 5 pages and multiple arguments going on.

Common PSNP bruh moment.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GregHouse007 said:

If you want to play PS5 games in 1080p and 30 fps (with dips, of course), more power to you. But they're still PS5 games best played on PS5.

2 hours ago, GregHouse007 said:

I said Bloodborne was the only *memorable* exclusive. No, the PS4 was not "filled" with exclusives, certainly not more than the PS5, and additionally they were for the most part extremely mediocre. The Order 1776? 6 hour game with no extra content. The best of the early exclusives besides Bloodborne was Infamous, and that was a fairly standard open world game whose primary gimmick, superpowers, were woefully underdeveloped.

Besides that, we have what? A 60$ game beaten in 6 hours with no extra content. A racing game that flopped so hard its studio shut down. Knack, babyyyyy. And an extremely mediocre FPS.

If you count cross gen games you get TLOU remastered, raising the number of memorable early PS4 exclusives to two. Again, rose tinted glasses. Exclusives wise, there was no more reason to buy a PS4 then than there is to buy a PS5 now. Less, arguably.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StygianWolf4 said:

Considering Driveclub came out in 2014, 8 years ago, I agree 100% about the weather effects. The game is visually pleasing and I spent many happy hours on the game, plus the PSVR version (shoutout to the people who I played with a few years ago)

Given the age of Driveclub, it still looks really good, even on an original 2013 PS4. GT7 came out 7 and a half years later. Polyphony has a history of making the GT games look fantastic every time, so it makes perfect sense to me. 

Regardless, I agree wholeheartedly about Driveclub, despite my biased nostalgia and love for the series.  

Driveclub still looks great to this day, but claiming that it looks better than a brand new Gran Turismo game is false at best, and stupid at worst. Even more so because the person who made the claim in the first place has neither game on their profile. Big surprise ?

But I agree with everything you said. I completed all the Driveclub games, including VR and Bikes, and I absolutely loved each game. I'm still sad that we'll never get another entry. I think Driveclub had huge potential and could have easily turned into PlayStation's version of Forza had it been given the proper amount of time and support. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

If you want to play PS5 games in 1080p and 30 fps (with dips, of course), more power to you. But they're still PS5 games best played on PS5.

I said Bloodborne was the only *memorable* exclusive. No, the PS4 was not "filled" with exclusives, certainly not more than the PS5, and additionally they were for the most part extremely mediocre. The Order 1776? 6 hour game with no extra content. The best of the early exclusives besides Bloodborne was Infamous, and that was a fairly standard open world game whose primary gimmick, superpowers, were woefully underdeveloped.

Besides that, we have what? A 60$ game beaten in 6 hours with no extra content. A racing game that flopped so hard its studio shut down. Knack, babyyyyy. And an extremely mediocre FPS.

If you count cross gen games you get TLOU remastered, raising the number of memorable early PS4 exclusives to two. Again, rose tinted glasses. Exclusives wise, there was no more reason to buy a PS4 then than there is to buy a PS5 now. Less, arguably.

You are not understanding what I'm saying. You are still on that rant about Xbox vs PS4 exclusives not getting what I'm talking about. Everything was a damn PS4 exclusive by 2015!!!. I guess I'll say it again:

Games like Bloodborne, MKX, Witcher 3 and trailers of Street Fighter 5, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3 were the reason I bought a PS4. This were all exclusive to the PS4, there were many more. I could not get them on a PS3. I do not have this problem now, everything that comes on a PS5 is releasing for the PS4. There are no exclusives, thus why I feel it's pointless to upgrade to a PS5. And I could care less about 30 fps or whatever, if you are so bothered by it maybe you should have bought a gaming PC instead of a console.

This isn't about exclusives the PS4 have over an Xbox One and the PS5 has over Xbox S. It's the exclusives PS4 had over the previous gen. PS5 has almost no exclusives over the previous gen. If you buy one, you are buying it because of the specs, not the game. This generation has barely any games, they are all PS4 games. And No, they are not "PS5 games that you can play on PS4" LMAO. Who are you trying to fool with that? A next gen game has always been "a game that the previous gen can't run".

Edited by GregHouse007
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, GregHouse007 said:

You are not understanding what I'm saying. You are still on that rant about Xbox vs PS4 exclusives not getting what I'm talking about. Everything was a damn PS4 exclusive by 2015!!!. I guess I'll say it again:

... Yeah, that's not what that term means.

52 minutes ago, GregHouse007 said:

There are no exclusives, thus why I feel it's pointless to upgrade to a PS5.

More accurately, you feel it's pointless to upgrade to a PS5, and therefore you have decided that the PS5 has no exclusives. If you are content with last gen experiences, that is fine, but that is not a failing of the PS5.

• Like 3

It took me 14 months after launch to actually get my hands on a PS5. I have it since January now and it's been a great system for me. Admittedly, I didn't have a PS4, so all those PS4 games are new to me too. But the reason I didn't get a PS4 were the noise level and the relative lack of power compared to my PC at the time (I didn't want to mostly be stuck with 30 fps). The PS5 is the first home console that pretty much removed my "need" for a gaming PC. So for me, it was definitely a success.

As others said, the high demand for the console that's unbroken two years after release doesn't really indicate that the system is a flop. I can see why it may not appeal as much to people who have a PS4 Pro, but there are plenty of people who don't have one or who waited for (and wanted) a more powerful system.

• Like 1