How is this game compared to other racing titles

Tristan1427

• 1 month later...

Haven't played Grid Legend to compare it to, but so far I have to say it's kind of shit. Granted I usually prefer arcade racers, but I've enjoyed my fair share of sim racers (e.g. Driveclub). Instead of a campaign mode, you slowly unlock races by talking to a Disneyfied caricature of a human being every one to three races who gives you history about cars you don't care about, and gives you mobile game-esque 'challenges' to complete, which are usually gameplay related but sometimes require you to spend a boatload of money upgrading a car. Currently, I'm being forced to complete 10 license tests which are essentially just glorified breaking tutorials in order to unlock the next tier of races. To add to this the menus are bloated and take forever to load, which makes having to visit the cafe after completing every task even more of a pain in the ass. It's like the game wants you to do everything but race. 

To add to this the monetization is / was horrible. Apparently it was better at launch, but the races still pay out barely anything from what I've seen, and there's also loot boxes in the form of roulette tickets (all of which have given me the lowest possible reward so far).

All in all, this might be the most disappointed I've been in a game this year, and I wasn't expecting much. Gonna reinstall GRID and try that out again instead, since at least I could actually fuckin race in that game.

• Like 3

Whoa did you say DriveClub was a sim racing game?!

I don't get why you have so much anger on GT7, this is how Gran Turismo always been with some licences to complete. I did grind them all in gold for the trophies and it took me 5 hours I think? Well less than 10 for sure. And for a bronze time you can do it on your first try so it's barely an hour... And it's a great challenge in which you can compare with your friends.

I have played Grid Legends and GT7, and GT7 is miles ahead. The game looks better, has more interesting cars, more tuning, and menus are fast to travel in, I am not sure how it can be slow for other people... Grid is repetitive, and you get bored pretty quickly (I havent even platinumed yet because I was tired of it, even if its story mode was good in my opinion). You have more game modes, some way to compete with your friends, Sports Mode to have some online competition, updates adding cars and tracks, versus Grid with overpriced DLCs that add pretty much nothing interesting (few cars and tracks and a little story).

Grid Legends was a fine racing game, GT7 is a great racing game, in my opinion. I would buy GT7 before Grid anytime.

Hope this helps you even a month later!

Edited by MarcancooL
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, MarcancooL said:

Whoa did you say DriveClub was a sim racing game?!

Well, I'd say it's like a halfway point between arcade and sim. Definitely not Burnout, that's for sure.

14 minutes ago, MarcancooL said:

I don't get why you have so much anger on GT7, this is how Gran Turismo always been with some licences to complete. I did grind them all in gold for the trophies and it took me 5 hours I think? Well less than 10 for sure. And for a bronze time you can do it on your first try so it's barely an hour... And it's a great challenge in which you can compare with your friends.

I've never played a Gran Turismo game before, so maybe that was my mistake. And "barely an hour" to spend on braking tutorials is not a good thing. When I play a racing game, I want to be able to play a race, then play another race, and continue through the game's campaign like that. I don't want to have to waste time on challenges that feel like more annoying types of tutorials, or have to keep going to the cafe to get explanations about cars that I don't care about.

It sounds like most of what you like about the game is online multiplayer, which is secondary to me (also why I didn't try GT Sport). Racing games have always been mostly singleplayer experiences to me. And from what I can tell even among GT fans GT7's campaign is considered extremely lackluster.

24 minutes ago, MarcancooL said:

menus are fast to travel in,

Maybe it has something to do with the game being always online because I was downloading games in the background while playing. Either way I was having to sit through black loading screens every time I tried to switch menus which was very annoying. 

I can understand your reaction if you have never played Gran Turismo before. I still think the licences arent that bad, we are in a trophy hunting forum so I guess you are willing to maximise your trophies a minimum, those tutorials are required for some trophies at least. But yeah the first ones are really basic haha.

I don't know if you have tried Grid Legends yet, you can access racing right away as you want it, but the experience on the track is far behind GT7 in my opinion. Unless playing ultra hard you are easily in front 95% of the race and I don't necessarily think the driving is so nice. I prefer GT7, and Driveclub is one of the racing games I loved the most (it was such a great satisfaction to 100% that game).

If you eventually want to go further in GT7, when you are mostly done with Cafe menus you will have most of the tracks, a lot of challenges and missions, and Sport mode if you can to try online (not my passion either, I also passed on GT Sport for that), but I was surprised how clean the races are (compared to F1 games I played that are a disaster).

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 9:46 AM, Darling Baphomet said:

Currently, I'm being forced to complete 10 license tests which are essentially just glorified breaking tutorials in order to unlock the next tier of races.

that's not doing them justice. They are proper challenges and it's hard to complete them on Gold (needed for a trophy). I'm not great at racers so I spent literally 10 hours on the last one alone lol ...
The first ones are very basic, but what you learn is so essential for the upcoming ones. They get progressively harder and believe me, they get really hard! (unless you are only going for Bronze)

• Like 2

On 24/12/2022 at 7:46 PM, Darling Baphomet said:

Haven't played Grid Legend to compare it to, but so far I have to say it's kind of shit. Granted I usually prefer arcade racers, but I've enjoyed my fair share of sim racers (e.g. Driveclub). Instead of a campaign mode, you slowly unlock races by talking to a Disneyfied caricature of a human being every one to three races who gives you history about cars you don't care about, and gives you mobile game-esque 'challenges' to complete, which are usually gameplay related but sometimes require you to spend a boatload of money upgrading a car. Currently, I'm being forced to complete 10 license tests which are essentially just glorified breaking tutorials in order to unlock the next tier of races. To add to this the menus are bloated and take forever to load, which makes having to visit the cafe after completing every task even more of a pain in the ass. It's like the game wants you to do everything but race. 

To add to this the monetization is / was horrible. Apparently it was better at launch, but the races still pay out barely anything from what I've seen, and there's also loot boxes in the form of roulette tickets (all of which have given me the lowest possible reward so far).

All in all, this might be the most disappointed I've been in a game this year, and I wasn't expecting much. Gonna reinstall GRID and try that out again instead, since at least I could actually fuckin race in that game.

Sounds like you should play the old gran Turismo games. The old Gran Turismo games had a lot more single player content.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Gran Turismo is a game for car enthusiasts. You will learn driving techniques, car history and acquire a appreciation for the automobile. 

Doing the license tests alone will provide you with skills that you can apply to any racing game and certain real life situations. But It is not a casual racer and should not be played with a controller.

If your after casual fun where you wont get punished for mistakes then it's not for you.

• Like 1