Tactics RPGs, RTS recommendations.

Sunny

Hey all, hope you all are doing fine, I'm currently playing through Valkyria Chronicles 4 and loving every minute of it, I got platinum in the original a few years back, Final Fantasy Tactics was my very first RPG in the genre and my absolute favorite, but on PS4 I don't have many games in this genre, in my entire backlog the only one I have now is Shadow Tactics Blades of the Shogun, do you guys have recommendations for games in this genre? Other than  Diofield Chronicles and Tactics Ogre (eternal classic) I don't have much idea, these two are already in my wishlist, any and all recommendations will be most appreciated, thanks in advance.

I would also recommend rainbow moon and I've heard great things about rainbow skies as well. Other than that my recommendations are tiny metal (watch out on that one, to get the plat requires a playthrough on new game + and they really ramp up the difficulty. I'm still stuck on stage 6 of new game plus) and banner saga.

I recommend the Banner Saga trilogy. Great story and artwork. Each team alternates turns instead of units, which completely upends traditional strategies, especially if you play it on hard. It's really one game, but broken into 3 pieces, each piece takes around 8-10 hours on a first playthrough.

3 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
Tactics Ogre Reborn (It's the game that inspired FFT)

Disgaea 5 (or any other Disgaea game)

Tactics Ogre I already have on my wishlist but the other two I didn't know about.....? actually I did play Disgaea on PS2 but I can barely remember, just the counter counter counter counter BS, thanks for the recommendation any are on sale I'll get them now.

1 hour ago, JNSpradlin said:

Fell Seal Arbiters Mark - cant recommend this enough. Guide here is really good too ;)

Mercenaries (Rebirth/Wings/Blaze) - 3 different games in a series

Disgaea series

Tactics Ogre Reborn (just came out)

Thanks for the tip, gonna check them up.

1 hour ago, masnevets said:

I recommend the Banner Saga trilogy. Great story and artwork. Each team alternates turns instead of units, which completely upends traditional strategies, especially if you play it on hard. It's really one game, but broken into 3 pieces, each piece takes around 8-10 hours on a first playthrough.

Banner Saga is a game I always had my eyes on but never got to play it, the bundle is usually on sale so I'll keep an eye out, thanks.

3 hours ago, Ozmodeus456 said:

I would also recommend rainbow moon and I've heard great things about rainbow skies as well. Other than that my recommendations are tiny metal (watch out on that one, to get the plat requires a playthrough on new game + and they really ramp up the difficulty. I'm still stuck on stage 6 of new game plus) and banner saga.

Completely forgot about the Rainbow series, gonna put it on my wishlist, I've never heard of Tiny Metal, gonna check some gameplay, thanks for dropping a comment.

Wargrove and Banner Saga are definitely the best games you'll find on PSN for tactic rpgs.

If you don't mind a bit of fan service, Record of Agarest War 0+1 were also pretty good for tactics if you have a subscription to Now.

Tiny Metal was also decent, pretty much an Advanced Wars clone but with a much lower budget. Believe stage 6 needed to be manipulated to actually win, but I played pre patch so not sure if that still applies. 

For RTS though, They Are Billions and FrostPunk were my two favorites. Struggled myself to find anything else in the genre that was worth playing.

Edited by VigilantCrow

You don't see to have a Vita; should you ever decide to rectify that situation, I'd thoroughly recommend Valkyria Chronicles 2, which is (IMO) better than the already good 1 and 4. Also, Conception II and Hyperdevotion Noire are good Vita TRPGs.

On the PS4, you might want to consider Conception PLUS.