PS3 Firmware 4.0 gives some Vita love...

Dreakon139

Was hopping for a lot more especially from 4.00 the .00 are usually the big updates but it just seems like Sony don't won't to do much more with the ps3.

I think it is actually quite a big update... but of course, only holds interest if you will be getting a Vita.

Lots of people in the EU blog comments are moaning (nothing unusual there!) about why this has been released now, when we're not getting the Vita until February. What they don't seem to realise is that Japan are getting it next month, so they need it... and minor updates aside, firmware needs to be consistent the world over to allow proper PSN access.

That said, there are some useful tweaks to the friends list privacy and PS+ features as well.

I think it is actually quite a big update... but of course, only holds interest if you will be getting a Vita.

Lots of people in the EU blog comments are moaning (nothing unusual there!) about why this has been released now, when we're not getting the Vita until February. What they don't seem to realise is that Japan are getting it next month, so they need it... and minor updates aside, firmware needs to be consistent the world over to allow proper PSN access.

That said, there are some useful tweaks to the friends list privacy and PS+ features as well.

to me that new PSN+ icon is just a ploy to get more people in general to hopefully purchase the add-on has no real meaning of improving the system behind it. The new privacy features are good help to prevent those chain mail messages and what not. But I would really love to seem them improve the friends list and profiles make them take advantages of full screen and display more trophy stats.

to me that new PSN+ icon is just a ploy to get more people in general to hopefully purchase the add-on has no real meaning of improving the system behind it. The new privacy features are good help to prevent those chain mail messages and what not. But I would really love to seem them improve the friends list and profiles make them take advantages of full screen and display more trophy stats.

I wasn't talking about the icon - personally, that doesn't bother me at all... I won't even notice it. But there have been some useful tweaks to the Plus service, such as the ability to select which automatic updates you want to receive, rather than getting them all. If I were a Plus member, I suspect I'd appreciate that a lot. Just as I will appreciate the Vita additions a lot more come February!

The 'problem' with a lot of things on the PS3 is that the firmware is exclusively maintained by Sony Japan, and the social side of things was very late taking off over there, hence no XGC. They really need(ed) much more input/guidance from Europe and the US as to what to incorporate.

I think we're seeing that the West is having more influence on firmware features now, if the Vita's operating system is anything to go by. But I think it's too late to have any major effect on PS3, partly because of the hardware configuration, and partly because making any major changes now would break too much existing software.

For example, while I like the XMB in its current form, many would like it revamped. The problem with that, though, is that it would break things like themes, of which there are thousands; and since many people have paid for them, there would be uproar if Sony made changes which rendered them useless. There was enough bitching about the removal of the free OtherOS feature... imagine if Sony broke/took away the ability to use something people had paid for!

While the can continue adding features in the form of Apps (like the photo software, movie editor, TV channels, movie players, VidZone) I don't think we'll see any major changes or additions to system-level features like the XMB. They could tweak the Friends List, though... they've already done so once.

Also who has noticed the new warning notice of epilepsy straight after powering on the system? :)

I think it's just a health warning in general, not necessarily a epilepsy warning... though it's a pretty lousy one anyways. It doesn't give health advice like playing less or in small spurts or to go outside. It just says to consult the documentation lol.

This update just has me anticipating the Vita more. For those who don't plan on buying a Vita this is a pretty lousy update, but for those who are it's very exciting seeing all this interaction with the PS3. I thought the PS3 and PSP worked well together, but it looks like the Vita will be able to do a whole lot more with PS3 interaction than the PSP. Bring on 2/22/12!

Parker

I think it's just a health warning in general, not necessarily a epilepsy warning... though it's a pretty lousy one anyways. It doesn't give health advice like playing less or in small spurts or to go outside. It just says to consult the documentation lol.

That's because it is an epilepsy warning. It's pointless, we've gone 5 years without it.

That's because it is an epilepsy warning. It's pointless, we've gone 5 years without it.

I don't agree that it's pointless as much as it's just an arse covering exercise.

If a child had a seizure, the first thing the parents would point out is that there is no warning on the console.

The chances of someone who regularly plays their PS3 not noticing the warning would be so remote that if they tried to sue Sony, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

The problem with EULAs, warnings and such like is that unless it's simplified and shoved in someone's face, very few people will actually read it.

The chances are that Sony is seeing a rise in complaints regarding photo-sensitive epilepsy and the lack of a warning that has prompted them to do this, like you said, 5 years without it, so why now if it's not to cover their arse?

I don't agree that it's pointless as much as it's just an arse covering exercise.

If a child had a seizure, the first thing the parents would point out is that there is no warning on the console.

The chances of someone who regularly plays their PS3 not noticing the warning would be so remote that if they tried to sue Sony, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

The problem with EULAs, warnings and such like is that unless it's simplified and shoved in someone's face, very few people will actually read it.

The chances are that Sony is seeing a rise in complaints regarding photo-sensitive epilepsy and the lack of a warning that has prompted them to do this, like you said, 5 years without it, so why now if it's not to cover their arse?

There's usually already warnings when you start the game. Plus it would already have all these warnings in the manual.

i think the 3.00 update was the greatest update in ps3 history, it enabled premium avatar, and dynamic themes. it had a lot of new things added, and since that day i was waiting for 4.00 to be the next awesome update. i am dissapointed

I think this update is awesome (as I will be getting a Vita), but you are SOOO right 3.00 was SICK!!!!! Also what's up with the PS plus in the XMB? It always dissapears when I sign in!

I think this update is awesome (as I will be getting a Vita), but you are SOOO right 3.00 was SICK!!!!! Also what's up with the PS plus in the XMB? It always dissapears when I sign in!

It looks like your already a PS Plus member, I think that icon is just there to advertise it to people who aren't already members. :P

It looks like your already a PS Plus member, I think that icon is just there to advertise it to people who aren't already members. :P

Yeah I am a member, but thats pretty silly of sony lol.......but ps plus IS awesome! it pays for itself super-fast