This Isn’t a Cash Grab I Hope

crashban96

Seems like a neat little game but if the trophies are anything to go by this might just be a quick 5 minute plat. Honestly I pretty much learned all the hiragana and katakana from just playing so many Japanese games. It’d be a nice little game to play to just test myself I hope.

• Like 1

Nice to see some sort of learn Japanese game but I can guarantee if it's just some multiple choice sort of question thing that it won't be useful for genuinely learning Japanese.

It never helped me in 2005 and I doubt it will help anyone in 2022.

Still there must be some hidden message in the trophies, like gold trophies are for ne, re, wa because the left hand part looks the same

and then all the silver trophies have a loop in the bottom right of the symbol. I cynically just think the developers just looked at the letters, saw patterns and just thought fuck it, we need to put other trophies in here other than just bronze, or else we'll get labelled as a spam game. And they just made it up as they went along.

The fact that googling shows up nothing either is equally not a good sign.

7 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Still there must be some hidden message in the trophies, like gold trophies are for ne, re, wa because the left hand part looks the same

and then all the silver trophies have a loop in the bottom right of the symbol. I cynically just think the developers just looked at the letters, saw patterns and just thought fuck it, we need to put other trophies in here other than just bronze, or else we'll get labelled as a spam game. And they just made it up as they went along.

The trophies are just in the order of a standard Kana table. Similar to putting English letters in alphabetical order. 

So, serious question for anyone who has "played" this. Is it any good even as a review app? I use duolingo to help with Japanese, along with several other sources, and wouldn't mind throwing a couple bucks at something if it's mildly useful. If it's just an excuse for trophies though, I don't want to waste my cash.

54 minutes ago, Moridin83 said:

So, serious question for anyone who has "played" this. Is it any good even as a review app? I use duolingo to help with Japanese, along with several other sources, and wouldn't mind throwing a couple bucks at something if it's mildly useful. If it's just an excuse for trophies though, I don't want to waste my cash.

Dude, I have not even played this but I can assure you it will not be worth it.

In ye old days of Nintendo DS we only had stuff like Rakubiki Jiten

Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten

which not only allowed you write HIragana and Katakana, but also Kanji too. Like a literal electronic dictionary, in like 2007 or so that was actually useful since you could write in English too using the stylus. Saw a symbol on the train? Well draw it the screen, chances are you could look up words, bookmark words and save them to save data. Get yourself some pretty gear if you're serious.

These days, not only can you get learning aids for free on pretty much every device known to man which are all connected to the Internet, you can just download an app on your phone that allows you to practice drawing the symbols with your finger, be shown the stroke order etc.

This game is just for trophy addicts. If you really want to learn Japanese this kind of app isn't going to help.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3

AHAHAHA.

Sorry, to post here again, especially since it's only 30 mins since my previous post.

I'm laughing though, because I noticed this game has been added to the shovelware spam filter, which honestly I have conflicting views about, but at the same time for such a cynical attempt at making a low effort quiz game, I guess this is certainly the correct decision.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

No need for learning the letters, you can spam the answers if you need to. Checked the last six or so trophies and just went searching for them through the answers, takes way less time even with restarting. 

For education it needs more than naming a hiragana, like pronounciation or usage in words, different reading and meaning (like that "four" and "death" are almost the same hence 4 is an unlucky number in Japan).

• Like 2

For anyone who absolutely must and wants to learn Japanese using a computer, for some reason. And you have a pc. I recommend Slime Forest.

Back in ye old days of 2005, I used this

https://lrnj.com/

So it's turn based battle system, an enemy comes up and you need to type the symbol above its head. Type it incorrectly, and you miss a swing.

It has its flaws and you're not really going to learn Japanese with it as in full sentences, but for learning Hiragana and Katana and typing it on a keyboard and learning the english meaning of single Kanji, it's genuinely good fun, and it's free. Well you can pay, the demo version has a lot of content in it, let's just say.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, enaysoft said:

AHAHAHA.

Sorry, to post here again, especially since it's only 30 mins since my previous post.

I'm laughing though, because I noticed this game has been added to the shovelware spam filter, which honestly I have conflicting views about, but at the same time for such a cynical attempt at making a low effort quiz game, I guess this is certainly the correct decision.

The shovelware designation may be apt here; the developer got in trouble with Microsoft a while back for attempting to sell easy achievements to hunters.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n44388/xitilon-easy-gamerscore-achievements

In recent months you may have noticed that achievements in games published by Xitilon, such as Pixel Gladiator and Castle of No Escape, had been updated to make them significantly easier to unlock. Now, the publisher has been told by Microsoft that it's broken the platform holder's rules regarding Xbox achievements and is now working to reverse all changes made.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n46174/xitilon-easy-gamerscore-achievements-title-updates

If you've got any Xitilon games, be prepared to revisit them once more as the publisher has announced plans to add title updates to 17 of its games, each worth another 1,000G, in the coming weeks.

The news means that games such as Castle of no Escape, Castle of no Escape 2, Bullet Beat, and more, will be worth a whopping 4,000G each.

• Like 2

NA Stack is out now.

Used the spam method right from the start and was twice as fast as if I used the regular method (looking and memorizing the letters). Pinned the trophy list on the screen (a PS5 feature) to look for the last hiragana letters.

An example of well meant rather than well done. Replace the hiragana letters with cryptic symbols and you have the same effect.