The FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Discussion Thread

Roronora_Zoro666

2 hours ago, Pirelli913 said:

Do what I do lol

https://twitter.com/Pirelli913/status/1594196364703199232?s=20&t=ZY8JdymQWF_f6c_Og4VUfg

In your defense, assuming you live in the USA, FS1 had them marked an hour earlier because they want people to turn into the hour long pregame. 1f602.png

I was watching it on Peacock and they misled me it seems. I just googled World Cup matches and I went off from that to update.

Imma avoid most of the games tomorrow. No offense to any UK fans, but I just don’t care ? 

Im only interested in the Netherlands match. If I’m up though, who knows I may humor the idea.

7 minutes ago, Slipknot_rooney said:

Fuck Qatar. Nothing but a money racket, which people died for. I wont say anymore on the matter, ban me if need be.

Watching Dallas and Minnesota now, not massive on NFL but an interesting sport nonetheless.

Yet every country in the world would like to have that money also. But yeah. 

I mean what ive read they made a 10 billion dollar deal with UK also. 

Of course. It is sad that so many lost their lifes for this world cup. 

I'm looking forward to the World Cup bigtime. Kinda sucks Italy didn't make it, as they are a heavyweight in international football and should be there.

England did well in the Euros, but we had a fairly easy route to the final, which I don't see being the case again here. Our team has some excellent players and at the very least we should be getting to the Quarter Finals. England need Kyle Walker back though, as he is vital to system Southgate plays. Playing Stones/Maguire in a back 3 without Walker could leave us very exposed or we have to go to a back 4. 

Really tricky to pick a favourite for this World Cup. Brazil look the best team on paper, they have incredible depth compared to the other nations. I'd put Portugal in there (even with Ronaldo's recent interview which likely hasn't gone down well in the camp, particularly with Dalot/Bruno) as they have a really nice starting squad. Rafael Leao is one of my favourite players currently so hoping he can show his best in this WC. Argentina also with Messi being in sparkling form coming into the competition. Germany, Belgium, France, Netherlands and Spain are all weaker than previous years, but still are good sides and should get to the knockout stages. 

7 hours ago, Amato1fifty said:

Anyone else expecting the USMNT to be extremely disappointing tomorrow?

Of course, but I'm still always hopeful.  I've been watching WC for nearly 30 years, and it's always funny how it's promoted here, like 'Yey, we're the US, we're so good at sports, we're totally going to win and shit', and then the reality sets in when we get one win if we're lucky, maybe limp into the round of 16 despite having a negative goal differential, and if so, get run off the field in humiliating fashion.  The problem is the fluke that was the 2002 WC set unrealistic expectations (as did winning our group in 2010 - by hilarious triple tie-breaker), so our fair weather fans now think we have a legit chance and every 4 years they cheer extra loud.... at least until the group stage ends and we go home.  I don't even remember seeing any live coverage for the WC in 2018 simply cause the US didn't even qualify (how embarrassing was that?! lol).  I think Fox had the broadcast rights but only posted recap videos on their website, but I could be wrong.  So, can we get out of the group stage this year?  Sure.  Will we?  Probably not.  But it's definitely a possibility, stranger things have happened, and I'll still be hopeful.  I mean, we got Pulisic, right?  Just ask any 'fan' on the street and they'll tell you, he'll take us all the way!  (Honestly, I think he's the only player anyone in this country knows by name since Landon Donovan retired).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Glorious Fury said:

I'm looking forward to the World Cup bigtime. Kinda sucks Italy didn't make it, as they are a heavyweight in international football and should be there.

England did well in the Euros, but we had a fairly easy route to the final, which I don't see being the case again here. Our team has some excellent players and at the very least we should be getting to the Quarter Finals. England need Kyle Walker back though, as he is vital to system Southgate plays. Playing Stones/Maguire in a back 3 without Walker could leave us very exposed or we have to go to a back 4. 

Really tricky to pick a favourite for this World Cup. Brazil look the best team on paper, they have incredible depth compared to the other nations. I'd put Portugal in there (even with Ronaldo's recent interview which likely hasn't gone down well in the camp, particularly with Dalot/Bruno) as they have a really nice starting squad. Rafael Leao is one of my favourite players currently so hoping he can show his best in this WC. Argentina also with Messi being in sparkling form coming into the competition. Germany, Belgium, France, Netherlands and Spain are all weaker than previous years, but still are good sides and should get to the knockout stages. 

Atfer replying to Karen, I was about to leave but when i see a gentleman with Totti's picture, I feel I gotta talk. 

Italy was too naive during the PO game against Macedonia, just like the PO game against Sweden in 2018, they couldn't score a damn goal even when shooting 30 times, that has to serve as a lesson for the next decade. Hopefully, Chiesa, Zaniolo, Barella, Bastoni and Donna can be at their peak in 2026.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see France go far. They proved in 2018 they could win while being dominated in stats like Ball possession, Shots, Shots on target, Passes made .... So if you combine their cheap tactics of just countering and waiting for Mbappe to outrun the defense with a very lucky draw (Peru, Australia, '18 denmark, Uruguay after Cavani got injured against Spain, Croatia after they went two times in OT and PK SO), they can sadly win it again.

Everybody thinks Brazil will make it but honestly, Serbia and 2022 Switzerland are no pushover. Brazilians have a history of choking recently either with the national team or with PSG (infamous remontada against barca even tho the ref was a joke, chokes against Madrid and ManU after dominating the first game...)

Just enjoy the games and let the haters hate as usual.

33 minutes ago, Spike_Hostile17 said:

For the rest, it's another topic but yes, i consider qatar's laws as dangerous and dishonest as the lgbtq mob which cancels individuals as soon as they disagree with them and also pushes surgery and castration while promoting gender transitioning to 10-15yo naive and easily influenced kids/teens. Both are horrible but somehow one is harshly criticized by the West while the other receives subventions from most of governments and is glorified by the medias. I could also tell you don't trashtalk qatar if you support blm, KKK or lgbtq.

Leave some bigotry for the rest men.

Edited by Jeanoltt
  • Like 1

Came here for football, got something else. Nothing has been said here that hasn't been said in the last 10+ years. 

Only thing I want to hear about Qatar now is how shit they were last night, but that won't happen so I guess this thread is kind of useless now

6 minutes ago, Riiszk said:

Came here for football, got something else. Nothing has been said here that hasn't been said in the last 10+ years. 

Only thing I want to hear about Qatar now is how shit they were last night, but that won't happen so I guess this thread is kind of useless now

They reminded me Ecuador when they debuted against Italy many years ago. Qatar waa nervous, Ecuador exploited that but sadly they didn't try to score more goals. I guess it's just country's idiosyncrasy, Ecuador has never been hungry for winning. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GoldenShaka said:

They reminded me Ecuador when they debuted against Italy many years ago. Qatar waa nervous, Ecuador exploited that but sadly they didn't try to score more goals. I guess it's just country's idiosyncrasy, Ecuador has never been hungry for winning. 

Never having played in a world cup and the very first game being when you host it in front of your own people.. Yeah nerves really got to them. Interesting to see how they'll do in another game or 2. 

Yeah, Ecuador seemed good, but may just be because of how Qatar played 

The Netherlands is playing today. We have Louis van Gaal as coach (ex Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Man United) and he already made some unexpected but very interesting choices. He's the type of coach who will sub the goalie just before a penalty shootout. It's recognized that the Dutch need team spirit and strong tactical plays in order to make it far in the tournament. Top tier players mixed with talentfull juveniles. Tactics by Louis. I don't see any problems coming in first in the group, with Senegal, Ecuador and Qatar.

Football is number 1 sport in The Netherlands so it's all over the news. No support for the entourage, focus on the matches.

tietenman.png

Edited by HansPatat050

3 hours ago, Spike_Hostile17 said:

I was about to leave but when i see a gentleman with Totti's picture, I feel I gotta talk. 

Italy was too naive during the PO game against Macedonia, just like the PO game against Sweden in 2018, they couldn't score a damn goal even when shooting 30 times, that has to serve as a lesson for the next decade. Hopefully, Chiesa, Zaniolo, Barella, Bastoni and Donna can be at their peak in 2026.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see France go far. They proved in 2018 they could win while being dominated in stats like Ball possession, Shots, Shots on target, Passes made .... So if you combine their cheap tactics of just countering and waiting for Mbappe to outrun the defense with a very lucky draw (Peru, Australia, '18 denmark, Uruguay after Cavani got injured against Spain, Croatia after they went two times in OT and PK SO), they can sadly win it again.

Everybody thinks Brazil will make it but honestly, Serbia and 2022 Switzerland are no pushover. Brazilians have a history of choking recently either with the national team or with PSG (infamous remontada against barca even tho the ref was a joke, chokes against Madrid and ManU after dominating the first game...)

Just enjoy the games and let the haters hate as usual.

Yeah, hopefully that crop of players can be at the next World Cup. Being a fan of Totti I have a spot spot for Zaniolo and whilst a good player currently, he can be so much more. 

Tricky with France to know as several high profile players are injured and some key players have declined in recent years, but yeah I'd expect them to at least make the last 8. Deschamps is super conservative with his tactics as you mentioned, so with a team with talent playing negatively with one one of the most explosive, talented forwards in Football can cause damage to those who are more expansive. No Benzema, Pogba, Kante, (although he has declined bigtime in the last year) Nkunku, will be troublesome but they have good depth to overcome this. However, the run for them to the final 4 isn't too bad on paper if they finish top of the group, we (England) are potentially the hardest game for them to get to that stage of the competition. 

Serbia are a bit of underdog for me as well. Got a strong Serie A crop Vlahovic, Milinkovic Savic, Kostic and others. Mitrovic is a handful for defenders and has had a good season here in the EPL. Can't see Brazil going out though in groups though, but then again it's the World Cup, anything can happen! 

1 hour ago, HansPatat050 said:

The Netherlands is playing today. We have Louis van Gaal as coach (ex Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Man United) and he already made some unexpected but very interesting choices. He's the type of coach who will sub the goalie just before a penalty shootout. It's recognized that the Dutch need team spirit and strong tactical plays in order to make it far in the tournament. Top tier players mixed with talentfull juveniles. Tactics by Louis. I don't see any problems coming in first in the group, with Senegal, Ecuador and Qatar.

I'm a fan of Van Gaal, he is a proper character who takes no shit. He had some hilarious press conferences when he was at Man United. I'd be surprised if Netherlands played anything other than 3 at the back as he's so damn obsessed with it. Hopefully Netherlands have a good showing as it would be a fitting end to his career. 

Edited by Glorious Fury