I'm not so sure (spoilers)

MysticJedii

it's a pretty common sentiment, I share it, I still like it a lot overall, but 2018 is the superior game for me

Ragnarok needed a "less is more" final pass in development for the main story pace/flow

Edited by The Investigator
  • Like 1

Yep that specific section you mention is definitely considered the worst part of the game. Just really boring, pacing is completely destroyed there. However I did like the boss fight at the end of that section.

Overall the game is a 10/10 for me but that section felt unnecessary long. Could've done without the whole picking fruits thing.

• Like 1

I guess I’m in the minority here as I actually enjoyed playing as Atreus most of the time, and some of his missions are pretty great, like when you first arrive in Asgard.

But I agree about that Ironwood mission. Holy hell, I could not believe how long it was. There were like 3 or 4 spots where it felt like the mission was finally reaching its climax and beginning to wrap up, only to keep going for another hour. Then another one. Then another one. I was so happy to get out of there.

• Like 2

Ironwoods was too long for sure. It is nice to see Atreus learning about this realm, but at least the section in the caverns cut have been cut, and it wouldn't have matter.

I think it is a common issue with the game. The story repeats a lot of beats over and over again. They work the first time, but when they repeat them a second or third time, it feels like padding. The game didn't really need to be as long as it is. And towards the end, all the build-up towards Ragnarök falls a bit flat.

An amazing game from a technical standpoint, but the narrative falls under its own ambition.

• Like 1

I guess most of people didn't really like playing as Atreus, myself included. But on the positive side, they tried to implement a different gameplay for just a few hours. And it was probably the only way to expand the lore about the Giants and learn more about Odin/Thor and his family in Asgard, which would have been unrealistic while playing with Kratos only.

Aside from few boring sections with the boy, the game was amazing. The gameplay, the collectibles, the side bosses, the main story, the ending, the trials, the crafting. Can't wait for a sequel. I would even sign for an Atreus spinoff just to know what happens next.

Edited by Spike_Hostile17
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spike_Hostile17 said:

I guess most of people didn't really like playing as Atreus, myself included. But on the positive side, they tried to implement a different gameplay for just a few hours. And it was probably the only way to expand the lore about the Giants and learn more about Odin/Thor and his family in Asgard, which would have been unrealistic while playing with Kratos only.

Aside from few boring sections with the boy, the game was amazing. The gameplay, the collectibles, the side bosses, the main story, the ending, the trials, the crafting. Can't wait for a sequel. I would even sign for an Atreus spinoff just to know what happens next.

No sequel buddy, Cory Barlog said this is the final game.

• Like 1

The third act is really rushed.

The Odin fight is also very underwhelming.

Less impactful story beats, probably to avoid controversy like Last of Us 2.

We're clearly in for a spinoff with Atreus, Sindri and maybe Agrboda or Thud. 

Edited by ARIXANDRE
  • Like 1

There's definitely going to be a sequel.  There is just too much money here.

That said, I think Barlog is done with Norse mythology and Egypt seems the next likely option. Although, such a setting means he's going to have to navigate incel waters due to the inevitable cries regarding what should be a mainly black cast of characters. Good luck with that!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, InsomniWrench said:

I must be the only one who enjoyed the Atreus parts, even Ironwoods. I actually preferred them to playing as Kratos.

Hide contents

I really miss Atreus in post game as well.

I'd love an Atreus spinoff, his story feels very unfinished.

I actually really enjoyed playing as Atreus, using the bow and whatnot. It was a mix up from kratos usual melee attacks, until the spear came.

The whole time I wa splaying wondering how far I was in the story since act 2&3 seemed SO long. Then act 4 came and was rushed as HELL. Ragnarok and Odin, whole thing took like 30 minutes when ironwood took at least that ? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, InsomniWrench said:

I must be the only one who enjoyed the Atreus parts, even Ironwoods. I actually preferred them to playing as Kratos.

Reveal hidden contents

I really miss Atreus in post game as well.

I'd love an Atreus spinoff, his story feels very unfinished.

I'm happy you enjoyed it. 

I think it worked in small bursts and though his gameplay is can be enjoyable, it gets boring pretty fast. So it worries me to have a 10-20 hour game with just that bow and arrow combat. 

More finisher animations for Atreus would be nice. 

Edited by ARIXANDRE