Sony Reportedly taking steps to ban Shovelware

diskdocx

21 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

100 additional games in just a few weeks? wtf

genuine question.. do u feel proud about your "work"? (I'm not referring to your ability to make easy cash out of practically non existent actual effort)

100 was just a guestimate. No idea what all the devs have already approved.

5 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Speaking of world cup, Football! way better than Egghand

I'm gonna be that guy only because I love football so much and it just slightly peeves me even if it's a joke. American football descends from association rugby football, we kept the name even though the game became different from rugby

1 hour ago, Alos88 said:

It's their store, I'm pretty sure they can remove whatever they like for whatever reason they like.

They can but that in no way actually takes away from their point. When Sony unveiled their new censorship policy, previously released games that violated it weren't de listed or removed from the store, at least not by Sony themselves. If the new policy is banning shovelware, odds are the trash that managed to get through the gate will be allowed to stay. But at least there won't be more of it.

1 hour ago, SLennox said:

Cyberpunk 2077 ?

Was removed from the store front temporarily and largely to stop the influx of refunds Sony had to give out. When CDProjekt fixed their mess, they were allowed to play with the other kids again

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GAchievements said:

No games that are already out or approved will be removed. Sony cannot enforce a new policy on previously approved titles. This will affect new submissions going forward. So those that are out will remain, and so will the most likely 100 additional games that are already approved, so early next year it will most likely slow.

They can definitely delist them. Didn’t they try to take away all new digital purchases for PS3 games? That’s how it is with digital games.

Just now, boorish_brute said:

They can definitely delist them. Didn’t they try to take away all new digital purchases for PS3 games? That’s how it is with digital games.

They did not. You can still buy the PS3 games still available on the PS3 digital store. What they did do however was remove the game codes that were sold in brick and mortar stores and third party websites

I find it interesting that most of those against this possible intervention by Sony have their profiles infested with dozens of shovelware. Looks like you’ll have to actually make some effort to earn those trophies now lads ? I’m guilty of having played My Name is Mayo well over a year ago. That’s about it!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Assuming that the source is genuine, Sony is just telling developers to change tactics: minimise stacking and spamming, push out the product and then update it with monetisation options (MTX/DLC).

Sony is not addressing any problem except for the VOLUME/QUANTITY/AMOUNT of these products, not their intent on selling trophies nor their lack of gameplay.

No one seems to have noticed this. 

This is barely going to effect any change at all.

I think there will be a (to be determined) number of people that stop buying these if it goes from X platinums to 1 platinum with X-1 DLCs.  

Definitely won't have the same allure to some people.

Edited by AJ_-_808
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, sweeping-lamp3 said:

If any players are panicking or anxious because of the recent topic I found this spreadsheet last night on Reddit.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gujCU1NONMXfXnQOs59Eb8cHeGhm4PIs2h9v0ask3Wg/edit#gid=0

I don't know if you want to finish up an incomplete collection or series before anything suddenly happens to the existing games like a delisting or something.  Or if you want to own a piece of Sony history?  If it happens it happens.  No need to have a panic attack or anxiety attack.  Take care.

Spreadsheet credit goes to this post:

Energy Cycle, Memory Lane and sadly like 10 Breakthrough games ( I regret then now lol ) that’s all I played from that list. I just hope they don’t remove my trophies I got from Ratalika games for example or games from EastAsiasoft. There were some who only took me 1 hour but that were really games and I had really fun with them 

2 hours ago, GAchievements said:

No games that are already out or approved will be removed. Sony cannot enforce a new policy on previously approved titles. This will affect new submissions going forward. So those that are out will remain, and so will the most likely 100 additional games that are already approved, so early next year it will most likely slow.

This is great news. Thanks for letting us know. 

D00M3D_UK_.png

3 hours ago, GAchievements said:

No games that are already out or approved will be removed. Sony cannot enforce a new policy on previously approved titles.

They can actually, it's just very rare. Delistings for various reasons happen all the time, but a full network deletion is possible. A full deletion means even people who paid for the game can't redownload it. However, there's only been maybe six instantses of that happening ever. I doubt that's going to happen here. Will either be a delisting or just leave it up and stem the flow going forward.

4 hours ago, Maahniac said:

@KenjiCBZ Haha, well... My Name is Mayo was the first $1 bullshit Platinum game, so at least that one was original ;)

I think it's fantastic if Sony actually removes all this crap. It makes me sad how many people have ruined their profiles with hundreds of these ugly "games" cluttering up their trophy list, making their profile lose whatever charm or personality it once had.

Haha ouch that stung ? as I have lost whatever charm or personality my trophy list once had ? Oh well, I was never important enough to be noticed, so replacing the chance of being relevant with the opportunity to be noticed simply by having so many cringe inducing embarrassments is better than being completely invisible ?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

They can actually, it's just very rare. Delistings for various reasons happen all the time, but a full network deletion is possible. A full deletion means even people who paid for the game can't redownload it. However, there's only been maybe six instantses of that happening ever. I doubt that's going to happen here. Will either be a delisting or just leave it up and stem the flow going forward.

Just curious, what were those six instances?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, The7thINFANTRY said:

Just curious, what were those six instances?

I remember there was a Ducktales game on PS3 that was flat-out erased. You couldn't download it at all.
PT had similar treatment, though whether that's a full game is debatable.

I hope this restores "value" in the consumer's mind. 

These games getting a decent volume of sales is in part due to how cheap they are. How can average indie games compete with that? When your game is like $3 and gives out a platinum in less than a minute, why would a $20 indie title be valuable when you actually have to put effort into its trophies? 

Data analytics shows that trophy hunting is not a niche hobby, by the way. If it was, publishers wouldn't placate their buyers with comically easy lists in the contemporary space. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, GAchievements said:

As explained, games that have already been approved will still come out. Only new games going through QA will be looked at.

Seconding this. As stated on the cousin site, you still have a few weeks worth of these games being released. The change will be noticeable closer to late December. Anything submitted after the new terms were sent are in lieu, anything before is ok. The new terms start Dec 1 but a lot goes into publishing games, it's not a "tomorrow I'm going to release a game" thing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Resting Doll Face said:

Haha ouch that stung ? as I have lost whatever charm or personality my trophy list once had ? Oh well, I was never important enough to be noticed, so replacing the chance of being relevant with the opportunity to be noticed simply by having so many cringe inducing embarrassments is better than being completely invisible ?

You only have 300 plats, which would be a decent number if you actually played games but by trophy spammer standards is pretty pathetic and most certainly not worthy of note.

• Like 1