Sony Reportedly taking steps to ban Shovelware

diskdocx

17 minutes ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

Why not just add a second adjusted leaderboard which excludes shovel ware altogether? The owner of psnp already made a filter, it shouldn't be much work to implement a second leaderboard. Everybody wins, no?

No. The more leaderboards there are, the more the value of the individual leaderboard decreases. The individual leaderboards on other websites are pretty worthless and only good for your own personal information gain.

Edited by Sikutai
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

Why not just add a second adjusted leaderboard which excludes shovel ware altogether? The owner of psnp already made a filter, it shouldn't be much work to implement a second leaderboard. Everybody wins, no?

We did have Leaderboard for profiles under 50% average rarity, but it's ages since its last update.

• Like 1

Just now, James Tiger said:

We did have Leaderboard for profiles under 50% average rarity, but it's ages since its last update.

I don't think the real intention of that thread was ever to actually keep the "leaderboard" updated - that would be a mountain of work and a never-ending task.

I suspect it was really just a slightly more creative way to have a rarity-fart-party that could skirt under the Mods radar for a bit ?

• Like 1

Ultra-rares on trophy websites like this are determined by the 'psnp community', everyone on here has more ultra-rares on psn than what they do on psnp.

For example if you plat something like 'Rogue Aces' you'd probably have 25ish UR's but on psnp you have 0 - it's not a complaint of mine, I don't really care but I understand these are community ratings and they aren't exactly simplistic difficulty ratings.

Still waiting for the source. Anybody can forge a mail like that for some trolling. It sounds too good and too specific and that makes it suspicious. I mean shadow-banning these titles from the store so that you have to search for them (maybe they are shown when using filters) should be enough. Outright banning these games still means Sony making less money. And quality control is another matter - Sony didnt care for years  but suddenly they do.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

Still waiting for the source. Anybody can forge a mail like that for some trolling. It sounds too good and too specific and that makes it suspicious. I mean shadow-banning these titles from the store so that you have to search for them (maybe they are shown when using filters) should be enough. Outright banning these games still means Sony making less money. And quality control is another matter - Sony didnt care for years  but suddenly they do.

Supposedly devs have been sent this email, so I'd say it's legit,

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

These few bucks by people buying it isn’t the end of the world. And I wouldn’t be surprised if,… no I am pretty sure, they actually lose money releasing all this shit. 

Most of us are pretty deep into gaming, but imagine casual players scrolling through the PSStore, seeing nothing but shitty cash crabs could actually lead into not buying anything at all because they don’t have the patience scrolling through 100 „games“ to find a game. Or just leaving PSN completely. I mean, even for us it’s annoying. Think like a casual (no offense), who hasn’t the time to deal with this shit.

Also Sony wouldn’t change anything if this was a good business plan for them.

Edited by xIRockyRock
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Sikutai said:

And those with different political opinions too. And dog owners, I don't like dogs. Maybe also members who have guinea pigs, but I'm not so sure yet about the guinea pigs.

it's funny that most of the people who react here with sarcasm have infested their leaderboard with such shit games. who would have thought...

As much as i would appreciate that Sony simply deletes these trophies, i dont think this is gonna happen. Like many said before, whats done is done. But we can pray that Sony will really implement some kind of quality management and sort out shovelware before it hits the store.

Edited by WreckItPhil
  • Like 3

Could this not be in line with the stars programme aswell? 

I'm assuming buying these games and earning a rediculous amount of trophies also artificially inflates your stars reward level. Just another thing to think about. 

Either way I'm glad these games are getting shutdown, the store is almost as bad as steam. 

7 minutes ago, WreckItPhil said:

it's funny that most of the people who react here with sarcasm have infested their leaderboard with such shit games. who would have thought...

Indeed, there's also a lot of people thankful that this may be happening, because they can't seem to stop buying the games themselves.

Like I said an hour ago, even if the shit stops right this second, this never ending leaderboard race is going to continue and there's still another 2500 games already released for everyone to waste their money in this "Oh but if I don't buy it, everyone else will and then I will lose my place"

I think the spam filter was good enough, it made this site unusable again.

Also I think shit games are one thing. I think auto popping is arguably worse. I can just ignore the bad games and play what I like, you do you.

But like everyone who has a PS5, and various games just have 1 second time stamps. That to me is putting a lot more of a downer on all the legit good games.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Indeed, there's also a lot of people thankful that this may be happening, because they can't seem to stop buying the games themselves.

Like I said an hour ago, even if the shit stops right this second, this never ending leaderboard race is going to continue and there's still another 2500 games already released for everyone to waste their money in this "Oh but if I don't buy it, everyone else will and then I will lose my place"

For me this is the most tragic aspect of the whole shovelware-situation.Why spend all this money and time for games you dont even like, just to retain a postion on a leaderboard made up of arbitrary values? Just so you can say "hey, look at my big e-penis"?(which is made of all the stroking games...)

Edited by WreckItPhil
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, jgm4789 said:

Im all for getting rid of the jumping stroke the Animal q type games. But i hope this doesn't screw over the legit indie games that have easy 30 minute plats. Ratalaika games have a lot of stuff thats fairly decent in spite of thier easy trophy lists so id hate to see them get screwed over as a lot of thier stuff is what i would consider a real game and not a heres a picture of a cat, click this 50 times for platinum. As theres a much bigger difference between awesome pea 1 and 2 then these jumping Animal letter games.

From what I understand, it's moreso getting rid of the asset flip games. So things like "Jumping Food A" "Jumping Food A TURBO", "Jumping Food B" or "Stroke the Dog", "Stroke the Cat" etc. 
Ratalaika, whilst boasting an easy trophy set, are actual games from actual indie devs.

11 hours ago, big-_-_-_-boss69 said:

Breakthrough Gaming LLC in shambles right now

Only their "2 player, 3 player, 4 player" and "Challenge Mode" versions. As well as "James Version" etc. A lot of their games are unique enough and not asset flips I would imagine.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Also I think shit games are one thing. I think auto popping is arguably worse. I can just ignore the bad games and play what I like, you do you.

But like everyone who has a PS5, and various games just have 1 second time stamps. That to me is putting a lot more of a downer on all the legit good games.

Yes Exactly this.

As for autopop I would have hoped for a way of a fresh start in GT7 for example but there was none. I had started with GT 7 on PS5 with a steering wheel instead of controller.

On the PS4 I only had a DS4 controller and no PS5 at the time.

• Like 1