Such a disappointment

diskdocx

This game has really underwhelmed. I enjoy racers, and how can you go wrong with Hot Wheels? But this game is just poorly designed.

On the positive side, the cars look great, and really capture the Hot Wheels iconic vehicles.

On the negative side, everything else. Track designs are annoying, especially once they have sections with no side rails. Controls and handling are poor, and it is virtually impossible to properly navigate the tracks. Throw in boost pads positioned on corners, because that makes sense, and jumps that are poorly aligned and races become frustrating.

Unless you play on easy, in which case the AI is brain dead and you can easily win every race with no competition after the first corner.

And that really is the ultimate failing of the game. It is either frustratingly difficult on Medium, or brain dead easy on Easy. There's no challenge, or too much challenge. And this ruins the game, because it renders most of the vehicles unusable. You have this great collection of cars, but no race tiers. I've rarely seen this - every event is open, you can use any vehicle. But you won't win unless you use a handful of effective vehicles. Which basically renders the game highly repetitive after the first couple of races.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't have created vehicle classes so at least there was some variety. And really they needed to dial back the ridiculous level of rubber banding on Medium and higher difficulties.

As it is, the game is really just a huge disappointment and a waste of potential with the Hot Wheels license. While not unplayable, I would just recommend people avoid it. Far too long of a game that is really devoid of engaging racing.

• Like 1

We have complete opposite takes on this game haha. I'm loving the game!

I think my only issue with it is that there are only like 3 cars that are worth using in MP due to terrible stats on everything else. Haven't noticed any major rubber banding AI when I've been playing, albeit I've been doing mostly MP lately.

I've been loving the MP, it's nice that you can play other people's creations to keep things fresh instead of just doing the normal tracks.

My favourite thing to do though is look up all the best shortcuts on the original maps (lots involve driving offroad to skip major track sections), then use those shortcuts in MP to annihilate the other racers! :P I find looking up the shortcuts added some extra incentive for me to show off to the other racers every race haha.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I couldn’t disagree more. I’m not a huge fan of racing games in general, but I finally got around to checking out this game and have been blown away at how awesome this game is. The look and feel of the cars is awesome, the racing is exhilarating, and the track design is superb and the one aspect that really elevates this game above other arcade racers I’ve played.

One of the coolest things about the game and the unique track design is all the hidden shortcuts, both intended and unintended. I’ve been watching some YouTube videos of top players, and the creativity people display in finding ways to game the track and improve their racing times is extremely impressive.

Add in the fact that this game has a really straightforward trophy list that mostly comes naturally just from playing the game, it’s easy to say this game is a must-play for racing fans and trophy hunters alike.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...