My Final Point of Discussion on Shovelware

TheBlaskar

A Final Point of Discussion Regarding Shovelware  

281 members have voted

1. 1. Since we and Sony sort of define shovelware as games that reuse almost every asset, changing next to nothing between titles, maintaining the same mechanics all with few or zero alterations aside from a new title, etc. etc. etc., it seems as though some shovelware titles can't be counted as shovelware: the first ones released in each series.  For example, there are a few "series" that are obviously shovel/spam/shame-ware: the JUMPING, the JUMP (yes, different ones), the TURBO, the RUN, the FUN (also different), you know the ones - sushi taco hamburger bs. Well, according to our current definition, the first game in each of those series can't be considered shovelware (The Jumping Bagel, in this case, I believe) - they can only be considered easy, cheap plats. One counterpoint to this would be that when the second game is released, the first can, then, be counted as shovelware. To debate myself, gamers can argue plausible deniability with the first game in a series (i.e. it's sort of impossible to know if a series will become shovelware with the first title especially considering how many indies are easy, cheap plats but also legitimate games). "You (should) know it when you see it" is another counterpoint - but that's too broad. We just need some guidelines in order to draw hard lines around the definition, and defining the first games in shovelware series as technically 'not shovelware' seems reasonable. Sony forcing devs to follow this rule will force them to change things between titles (ie creating 'new' series), therefore removing the wider definition of 'shovelware' from the release schedule. Again, apologies. I just think this point is worth bringing up as we try to figure out what is and isn't technically shovelware

• The first game IS NOT shovelware
    • The first game IS shovelware

43 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The first one is still a shovel-ware, specifically BECAUSE it is the first of many.

When you shovel your driveway, you aren't interested in which was the first snowflake to fall - you just want all of them cleared away.

"Shovel-ware" is a repeated but technically unique product that is made purely for a cheap profit.

"Shovel where?" is what you ask when you need to clear the driveway of that one snowflake.

• Like 2

I think its an interesting discussion to be had besides the whole wider context going on in the community.

In my opinion, the first game is indeed not shovelware. It is shit, but it was an original idea (to scam the trophy community but whatever) Someone has to be the first to do something.

It's the same about modern art. so much of it is godawful, but much of it is getting famous cause nobody else thought of it first.

So i would classify everythin that came AFTER the first of these cheap titles as shovelware, as long as they follow the same "gameplay" and "mechanics".

2 hours ago, megacoolermensch said:

mods are at fault for closing every thread on this topic then people make a new one.

btw im not opposed to this kind of thread

The threads turn into flamewar and bullying pretty fast, rather than having a civilized conversation. Usually it is pointing fingers, demanding a rarity leaderboard and requesting to have any shovelware game worth zero points, expanding the list of games that should count as shovelware, or any combination of that.

As for the OP question its answer B. If the second game is an asset swap of the first game then it doesn't matter much which came first, both are shovelware.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

be defined in the same way the US supreme court defines

I was following ur argument until u tried to use the US Supreme Court as the benchmark of intelligent thinking. they still enforce some pretty stupid and archaic laws

anyway on topic... 1 shit "game" is shovelware. it doesn't become shovelware only if it gets a sequel

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MandA60VISE said:

The Wii, DS, and PS2 were littered with shovelware yet had very few (I believe) instances of repetition, whether it's assets or mechanics. I'm no expert on shovelware so don't ask me but as stated before it's pretty blatant when seen. 

We're specifically using a definition of shovelware which has to do with ezpz trophy games. Those platforms may have had low quality games, but it's not quite the same thing as static images of dogs which are made into games solely to give you free internet points.

2 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I think the only interesting remain debate to be had is; is My Name is Mayo shovel ware?

I'd say yes. It's essentially the father of all shovelware.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I think the only interesting remain debate to be had is; is My Name is Mayo shovel ware?

If we would compare it to the rest of the titles marked as such, yes it could be potentially. I have them on my profile and would be comfortable allocating zero points to them if it came down to it. If it would mean the top leaderboard positions being filled with players who actually earned it by playing actual games, I would be satisfied with that outcome.

Edited by TriadThunder
  • Like 2

My Name is Mayo was affordable, yes, with easy trophies as well, no doubt, but not made solely for the purpose of selling trophies for money. Being the first game of its kind, I'd say it gets a pass even when the sequels were similar but not the exact same.

You gotta give Mayo that - its beyond any of the Stroke games which have a similar concept but a poor execution at four times the price.

• Like 2

how about you stop trying to get rid of shit that other people like? is psn the new twitter mob. what do you care how many plats someone else has. how does shovelware impact your life at all besides leaderboard positions in which the majority of people will never reach the top 100 in their entire lifetime at this point even if shovelware is gone. 

why dont you stop autopops while your at it. i just popped re3 in 1 second. and stacks on games that only take a day to complete at most. the line is to blurred

• Like 1