Gamestop dumpster diving

Frisendal

Earlier today IGN posted the following article about Gamestop dumpster diving: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/05/inside-the-secret-world-of-gamestop-dumpster-diving

I am actually intrigued by this and I am probably going to try it this weekend and yes it is legal where I live as long as the dumpster is accessible. Have any of you tried this and did you have any luck with this?

• Like 1

while i have never even considered the thought and i have so many coupons for gamestop i can get used games for little to nothing anyways but  it is legal in my state and if curiosity ever strikes me hard enough i may poke around as long as the enviorment is not disgusting

• Like 1

Lol guys, just make friends with the guys behind the counter. I know the people of my local gamestore for a couple of years now, and they alwasy give me some collectibles stuff that nobody wants. for example these nice commercial stands,

ipsa9w.jpg

and

vvwk1.jpg

I'm just saying, maybe you don't have to dumpster dive to get these little things.

Edited by xZoneHunter
  • Like 3

No shame in my game. Wouldn't want that stuff going to waste now would we? -_-

But then again, I don't see myself actually going in a dumpster just to look for things. I would have to know it's in there. :P

Edited by -Dark Mark-
  • Like 1

Anyone who actually does this is pretty sad. If you can't afford to buy games, then you should probably be using the little money you have on improving your life.
I used to work at gamestop, and we never threw anything away at the store. Everything was sent back to corporate, and they decided what got trashed. And since most gamestops are in shopping centers, you're going to be digging through a lot of regular trash to get to get to any possible gamestop trash. Plus, you'll have to dig through whatever the employees have been eating that day. Even if you happen to find something, the games are likely to be old games no one wants, or broken games or accessories. They're being thrown away for a reason.

• Like 1

Anyone who actually does this is pretty sad.

I'm sure many people say the same thing about gamers, doesn't make it true though. Just because someone has a hobby you may consider strange doesn't make them "sad."

I've been going to my local GameStop for years and while I've never partaken in any dumpster diving, the manager of the store did call me before he was going to get rid of his PlayStation, Xbox and Gamecube stock and let me pick out any games I wanted, 100% free. There wasn't too many great games but her, free is free and I won't pass that deal up. 

Parker

• Like 1

I'm sure many people say the same thing about gamers, doesn't make it true though. Just because someone has a hobby you may consider strange doesn't make them "sad."

I've been going to my local GameStop for years and while I've never partaken in any dumpster diving, the manager of the store did call me before he was going to get rid of his PlayStation, Xbox and Gamecube stock and let me pick out any games I wanted, 100% free. There wasn't too many great games but her, free is free and I won't pass that deal up. 

Parker

There's quit a difference between someone offering you a gift and actually scouring through garbage. Unless you consider dumpster diving a hobby I don't see how this is NOT sad...

Parker

You should have read the rest of the post, instead of taking that one sentence out of context.

Like everyone else says.. it's kind of sad if you have to go to those extremes.  Just make friends with the management and employees, maybe you might get offered free stuff they don't want anymore or can't get rid of.  And besides, by that article, they maybe don't want people going through their dumpsters anyways.. they cut the disc.. isn't that a sign it isn't really worth it at all?

There's quit a difference between someone offering you a gift and actually scouring through garbage. Unless you consider dumpster diving a hobby I don't see how this is NOT sad...

I don't see how it isn't a hobby, you'd be amazed at some of the things rich people throw away. I personally don't root through dumpsters (though I have gone to rich neighborhoods on garbage day and picked up some things that work perfectly) but I'm sure there are a lot of people that enjoy doing it. 

You should have read the rest of the post, instead of taking that one sentence out of context.

I read the entire post, it doesn't change the fact that dumpster diving doesn't make someone a "sad" person anymore than gaming does. The people doing this aren't doing it because they have to in order the play games, they are doing it because they are interested in seeing what cool things may have been thrown away from the store. Whether it is old accessories, posters or displays, I'd much rather see it in the hands of someone who will appreciate it rather than deteriorating in a landfill. 

Parker

• Like 3

Some people call it being sad, but i call it being smart. Why? 

Because look @ it this way. You are getting free cool stuff that half the time works. Sure it may not be new, but remember, is your current game, controller, or console currently new? of course not(/unless you just bought it). It's "used" just like the stuff they find. I think people are calling it sad because they think these guys are picking through messes of food to get what they find. I used to work part time in a restaurant in the same mall that had a gamestop, and whenever i had to throw away the trash. I could see the second dumpster that had nothing but electronics & Styrofoam with lots of boxes with gamestop bags in the mix. Also when we had to throw away left over food we don't just get the plate and go dump it all there, no we used bags. I honestly rarely saw smudged food on the electronics dumpster. It was keeped separate, Infact I even got a working ps2 controller one day after trowing away our trash(Who wouldn't have passed that offer away, especially since @ the time my only ps2 controller had a jammed D-pad and i had planned to get a new one eventually). It's not about being able to afford it, it's about saving.

So would you rather pay 40$ for a controller that you are going to turn into "used" condition after 2 weeks, or would you rather just pick one up for free if you are lucky enough to find it. Sure the key factor is luck, but from all the dumpster dive videos i've seen they always find something really cool that just makes me say "wow he actually got that for free". I kinda like seeing dumpster dive videos, because it's cool to see some of the things these guys get to find just thrown away by gamestop.

Sure they just find lots of empty cases, but there's a thing called a "recycling center" where they can sell them for $, just like people recycle bottles. What makes recycling plastic cases any different?

I've seen guys find guides, games(new if lucky), working DLC codes, useful accessories, Collector Edition items. A guy even found a fucken brand new game system portable tv.

For example using the video the link has, I would "want" and even "need" that White Knight Chronicles 2 strategy guide he found for free.

Plus remember they are diving for electronics, not food. From just watching them, it looks like they just had much to gain and nothing to lose. Where we would all be spending over $100 for not even half the things they found 4 free. These guy do it for fun, not desperation. When you get a good find you continue it right? that's what these guys did, they saw that they could get cool things and decided to continue it. 

Edited by DarknessKey92
  • Like 2

I've seen some videos about Gamestop dumpster diving and the guy was freaking out and being all excited about about finding a bunch of crap. There's a reason this stuff is thrown away. Gamestop doesn't throw away working games or anything they could still sell. You can however just ask the employees and you might get one of those giant posters or promotional material. There's really not going to be anything valuable in a freaking dumpster.. 

I've seen some videos about Gamestop dumpster diving and the guy was freaking out and being all excited about about finding a bunch of crap. There's a reason this stuff is thrown away. Gamestop doesn't throw away working games or anything they could still sell. You can however just ask the employees and you might get one of those giant posters or promotional material. There's really not going to be anything valuable in a freaking dumpster.. 

You know the old saying, "one mans trash is another mans treasure." Just because you may not think something is valuable doesn't mean the next person shares your opinion. 

Parker

Frankly this is just an expansion on a trend that's been around for years.  People have gone to junkyards for scrap metal, car parts, etc.  There are even people who cruise around and take trash off the curb (normally things they can sell for scrap metal).  I know of a guy who will take lawn mowers people don't want.  He can normally fix em easily (lawn mowers seem to have some common issue that makes it "broken" but if you know what you're doing it's easy to fix) and then sells them.

This has no effect on your own life and as long as they're not doing anything illegal it shouldn't matter to you.  I'm sure if you went to a dumpster diving forum (I'm sure they're out there) they would think trophy hunting is strange.

• Like 2

Im pretty sure dumpster diving is how IGN procures most of its articles, all of its reviews and the majority of it's staff.

id certainly rely more on the review of a game written by an old piece of banana peel than by an IGN writer.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

This has no effect on your own life and as long as they're not doing anything illegal it shouldn't matter to you.  I'm sure if you went to a dumpster diving forum (I'm sure they're out there) they would think trophy hunting is strange.

There is nothing wrong with plundering trash from the streets but why risk getting arrested for unlawful entry on private property for a lousy couple of bucks worth of games? Hardly seems worth the effort, not to mention scavenging through trash can be really dangerous.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with plundering trash from the streets but why risk getting arrested for unlawful entry on private property for a lousy couple of bucks worth of games? Hardly seems worth the effort, not to mention scavenging through trash can be really dangerous.

See below:

Frankly this is just an expansion on a trend that's been around for years.  People have gone to junkyards for scrap metal, car parts, etc.  There are even people who cruise around and take trash off the curb (normally things they can sell for scrap metal).  I know of a guy who will take lawn mowers people don't want.  He can normally fix em easily (lawn mowers seem to have some common issue that makes it "broken" but if you know what you're doing it's easy to fix) and then sells them.

I obviously would not recommend doing it if it's not legal where you are or it requires do something illegal to do it (climbing over fence may be illegal but dumpster diving is not but if you have to climb over a fence to dumpster dive). Obviously that's a risk they choose to take, I'm sure some people are more careful than others also. Just as people choose to smoke, they choose being at greater risk for cancer.

Edited by Quikdrawjoe

Just as people choose to smoke, they choose being at greater risk for cancer.

Recycling products is something entirely different from just being a cheapskate and stealing other people's stuff. If you are wealthy enough to buy a TV and a PS3 you can afford videogames, if you can't then you have no business owning either of those. Either that or get a job where you earn more money.

When I was a teen I didn't have a lot of money to buy new furniture so why not pick up that couch sitting there at the end of the street? It was going to get thrown away anyways so might as well use it as I don't particularly enjoy sitting on the floor. But risking getting stung with a needle or injure yourself with any other sharp object that may reside in a dumpster is downright pathetic and plain stupid.

• Like 1

Sure, but people keep smoking because nicotine is highly addictive. There is nothing addictive in being a mankey bin-raker! ;)

You could say the same about trophy hunting. yet this is a website dedicated to it. :P

Recycling products is something entirely different from just being a cheapskate and stealing other people's stuff. If you are wealthy enough to buy a TV and a PS3 you can afford videogames, if you can't then you have no business owning either of those. Either that or get a job where you earn more money.

When I was a teen I didn't have a lot of money to buy new furniture so why not pick up that couch sitting there at the end of the street? It was going to get thrown away anyways so might as well use it as I don't particularly enjoy sitting on the floor. But risking getting stung with a needle or injure yourself with any other sharp object that may reside in a dumpster is downright pathetic and plain stupid.

Some people like to save money, this is how they choose to do it. Some people extreme coupon to save money. That doesn't mean it's stealing if it's not against the law.

Should have grabbed some protective clothing and thick gloves and taken it. That's the choice they make, they weigh the benefits (free stuff) vs the risk of there being something nasty or dangerous. Obviously the rewards outweigh the risks for them. It doesn't make it pathetic or stupid just because you are not willing to do something. It just makes it different from your personal worldview.