Dodge and block system

Lonemankane

So am making this to ask how people find the block and dodge system in The callisto protocol. As of right now I played the game and I can't get out of the starting parts of it due to how janky and clucky it is to use. granted I am on hard mode but even on normal the system is just flat out annoying and broken for me I can't enjoy the game at all due to this. I have been looking forward to this game and I feel this system should either be remapable or put it on the right stick or another button to dodge/ block as this just flat out is annoying and frustrating as hell to deal with.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Squarevii87 said:

I agree 100%

I have died more than 20 times,loading times too long ,very annoying

I'm playing on medium

In Dark souls I didn't die so many times in the beginning

Are your trophies syncing?mine not

yeah the trophies are not showing up yet as the list has not dropped yet they have unlocked however on my end

The dodging in this game is what makes it hard lol. So clunky especially when you're hit with groups of enemies since the camera can only focus on one enemy. So if you try dodging one youll head straight to another's attack and get hit. With dodging you have to literally face the enemy as center as possible. If they're to your sides even slightly no amount of holding the left stick will trigger the dodge and you'll just get hit regardless. It's made for some bullshit moments so far on my Maximum Security playthrough. 

• Like 1

The dodging is very disappointing.. why is it necessary to reinvent the wheel.. the dodging is what gets me killed.. and for Christs sake why does he keep putting his weapon away?? The default should be in hand.. and you can choose to put it away..  what an annoyance. 

On the upside, beautiful to look at.. 

• Like 2

It gets hard when it's 1 vs 2 or more.

The only advice I can give is when you want to dodge hold left or right and don't just click and let go. Some enemies will attack twice so hold left then hold right and then attack. And then it's a matter of getting used to it.

Edited by XXIIlII

The dodge mechanic is janky as Hell and is the real reason you will die in Calisto Protocol. Maximum difficulty is basically 4 hits and you're dead and to add more to the fact you have to take on multiple enemies, which does not help either.

The game is cool - do not get me wrong, but the dodge mechanic is janky at best. 

I know it's daunting at the start but just keep going as it gets much easier. 

You definitely want to play it patient as trying to spam will almost always leave you open to getting hit so wait for enemies to hit once or twice then follow up with a 3 hit combo and then just keep repeating the same thing. 

Once you get the pistol, you'll unlock an ability to take a shot at enemy after performing a combo, make sure to use this as much as possible. Critical shots will often take off limbs rendering the enemies weaker and less aggressive which will make em even easier to dodge but it also leaves them vulnerable to a follow up combo that can be spammed without giving an opportunity to fight back. 

The dodging can certainly get you killed but it's mostly about positioning. If you're getting swarmed by multiple enemies, try to put yourself where you have a line of sight on all of em so you don't take any unexpected hits from behind. Putting yourself In narrow paths to force a 1v1 helps too. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk

3 hours ago, craig_obviously said:

for Christs sake why does he keep putting his weapon away?? The default should be in hand.. and you can choose to put it away..  what an annoyance. 

Couldn't agree more

Edited by reiner-

I play it safe by doing auto block on and just holding back on the stick instead of side to side. Wish they was attack canceling so you could dodge instead of following through with your attack. That’s what’s getting me. 

Also optinoob mentioned stomping at full health to get ammo/credits, I’m getting ammo and credits and NOT health when I’m halfway on my HP bar. So don’t know how accurate that is. I’m constantly scrounging for health and bodies/loot keep raining money for me.

18 minutes ago, Zeep_Xanflorp92 said:

I play it safe by doing auto block on and just holding back on the stick instead of side to side. Wish they was attack canceling so you could dodge instead of following through with your attack. That’s what’s getting me. 

Also optinoob mentioned stomping at full health to get ammo/credits, I’m getting ammo and credits and NOT health when I’m halfway on my HP bar. So don’t know how accurate that is. I’m constantly scrounging for health and bodies/loot keep raining money for me.

Yea i havent played with the ammo drops yet and with health below full, all ive observed at the moment is that if your health is full, then you will only get credits and i guess ammo.

So i guess with health under full means it wont neccesarily give you health, you can still get credits and ammo.

All that I know from my end so far, in chapter 2 before I have a firearm, as long as my health is full, Credits are always dropped from enemies.

Im just trying to think ahead so in theory, when u reach the first shop, I wanna see the most money you can have and what goodies it can get us. Though im honestly not expecting it to be useful at all, likely just some poor upgrades

im betting there will be a duping glitch before long though

6 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Yea i havent played with the ammo drops yet and with health below full, all ive observed at the moment is that if your health is full, then you will only get credits and i guess ammo.

So i guess with health under full means it wont neccesarily give you health, you can still get credits and ammo.

All that I know from my end so far, in chapter 2 before I have a firearm, as long as my health is full, Credits are always dropped from enemies.

Im just trying to think ahead so in theory, when u reach the first shop, I wanna see the most money you can have and what goodies it can get us. Though im honestly not expecting it to be useful at all, likely just some poor upgrades

im betting there will be a duping glitch before long though

I’m sure drops are very much based on what you have in your inventory/backpack. Hence why Powerpyx guide mentioned to not craft multiple guns so only shotgun ammo will be the main drop. 

Im having a hard time just getting to a shop to spend my credits and dump my loot to get inventory slots back.

The lack of map is unnerving. It literally feels like we are just on an escalator through these corridors and you just have to keep walking. No sort of self autonomy or governance in moving around levels and looting/exploring. I’m going to to rooms with almost nothing in them, MAYBE one item behind glass or little niche corners and again, nothing in them. 

I must be in the minority then since I like the dodge system and find it easy to use, even on Maximum Security which I started right off the bat. And I don't even use the auto dodge function.

I have died maybe 10 times and at least two of them have been in situations like "what would happen if I let that guard robot see me?", or "what would happen if I go too close to that giant fan?". The game is kinda easy, even on Maximum Security... At least so far and I'm about 6 hours in.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Optinooby said:

The Auto-Dodge works like this: Just hold one direction continuously!

It also does not work all the time by the by as if your like holding the right or left when a attack is going to happen it can just break and make you just walk forward left or right and take dmg still or if you dodge you still take dmg

1 hour ago, Lonemankane said:

It also does not work all the time by the by as if your like holding the right or left when a attack is going to happen it can just break and make you just walk forward left or right and take dmg still or if you dodge you still take dmg

it works all the time with me, though im holding back.

Dodge doesnt work if you hold towards the enemy and im not sure what the correct angle is for the game to 'perform a dodge' or 'not perform a dodge'. If holding left or right, depending on the angle of the camera the enemy puts you at, its possible that left is pushing left to begin with, but the enemy forcing the camera change with its attack changes your left to left & slightly forward and thus the game is reading it as a 'invalid dodge'. I think thats the problem.

Using back however, works everytime as there are no bad angles, you're just holding back. Though you will get hit of course if you are blocking at the last moment.

You're not suppose to be able to hold back to dodge btw, its normally block. The left and right dodge and with forward not working perhaps is on purpose so the dodge still takes skill to use.

Though I guess the Auto-Dodge is easy, but thats accessibility and its what make the backwards dodge possible.

Shame there are no 'No Healing', 'No Upgrades' 'Melee Only' trophies. Melee Only could actually be quite fun

Edited by Optinooby

13 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

it works all the time with me, though im holding back.

Dodge doesnt work if you hold towards the enemy and im not sure what the correct angle is for the game to 'perform a dodge' or 'not perform a dodge'. If holding left or right, depending on the angle of the camera the enemy puts you at, its possible that left is pushing slightly forward and thus the game is reading it as a 'invalid dodge'.

Using back however, works everytime as there are no bad angles, you're just holding back. Though you will get hit of course if you are blocking at the last moment.

You're not suppose to be able to hold back to dodge btw, the left and right function and with forward not working perhaps is on purpose so the dodge is not a easy button.

Though I guess the Auto-Dodge is easy, but thats accessibility and its what make the backwards dodge possible.

Shame there are no 'No Healing', 'No Upgrades' 'Melee Only' trophies. Melee Only could actually be quite fun

Well that is the when you try to dodge at the right time and so on it sometimes does not read right as it is on the left stick it is not easy to do them and your bound to be hit and or killed. I feel the system should of been on the right stick like godhand or just a button

Its really simple yet so many are over thinking the dodge system. Just hold left or right when an enemy is about to attack but if you're dodging more than one hit be sure to use the opposite direction of what you first used, that's literally it. So for example if an enemy hits three times you'll want to hold left, right then left or you can also do right, left, right. Spamming the same direction back to back will get you hit. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk
  • Like 1

I absolutely suck at dodging unless I'm doing the trick of flicking left to right repeatedly whilst in combat. It's frustrating as it seems simple enough, I just can't seem to get it down. I don't know if me playing on Maximum Difficulty makes any difference, but I always seem to get caught at least once or twice an encounter.