How do you all handle games you want to play but know you can't platinum?

skotafactor

How do you all handle games you want to play but know you can't platinum?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. How do you all handle games you want to play but know you can't platinum?

• I avoid anything I can't plat like the plague
    • I'll play it on a different account
    • I'll play it on a different console or PC
    • I'll play it and hide my trophy list
    • I'll play it and not worry about account percentage or the game's rank on PSNP

There's somewhat an option missing.

I don't care about the leaderboard that much nowadays, but my total completion is one of my "all the time" goals.

That said, I will play games that I know that I can't platinum, if it's something that I really want to play (mainly on the fighting and racing department), since after RPGs  those 2 types of games are the ones that I prefer.

I also keep a somewhat strict rule to not play impossible platinums, unless it became impossible after I start (in those cases usually I may never return to the game), or if it's a really big exception.. Well the only exception so far was NFS The Run, since that was the only PS3 NFS that I wouldn't have in my profile..

But then, with my profile if I play some games that I can't complete, it almost doesn't make much difference.. That said, I spent the last 3 or or so years getting up to my current %, after dropping to 86% when I started a ton of PS3 ges to clear the online and never went back to most of them.. still, doing cleanup is something that definitely takes a lot of time..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

The last 2 games I started playing purely for fun with zero intention to platinum was Deep Rock Galactic & Call of Duty WW2. In both cases I ended up getting completely engrossed in the game and burned through all the trophies after all. 1f913.png

Oooo I feel you. I started Rocket League with a buddy and Lego Marvel with my young nephew with the mentality of not going for trophies on either, and I ended up getting platinum in both lol. 

4 minutes ago, Helyx said:

I play pretty much every game that interests me. On rare exceptions (Call of Duty zombies), I'll play on a different account to help friends with trophies.

Given what looks to me like a relatively small list of incomplete games on your profile, is there a correlation between what interests you and how likely you are to be able to platinum the game? 

I'll usually go into a game I have no intention of platting with just a, "I'm gonna at the very least beat the game and grab whatever misc. trophies I can grab along the way" type of mentality. It's been working out pretty well for me so far and I've been doing that for a really long time, even before I started really caring about hunting plats.

It's also helpful in the sense that IF I ever do end up going back to the game to clean up trophies I'm not like 3/4 of the way into the story and have no idea what's happening while also having to re-learn the controls. (I've always hated that feeling lol) I can just start with a fresh play-through and re-learn naturally knowing I've beaten the game once so doing it again isn't as daunting for me.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, skotafactor said:

Oooo I feel you. I started Rocket League with a buddy and Lego Marvel with my young nephew with the mentality of not going for trophies on either, and I ended up getting platinum in both lol.

Yeah funny thing is those situations that unfold organically like that can often end up being some of the most fun trophy hunting experiences you’ll have. I’m not that big on MP games normally, but sometimes I’ll start one for fun or to play with some friends, and then before you know it you’re all having a blast and working on the trophies in a group chat together for a few weeks. 

17 minutes ago, skotafactor said:

Given what looks to me like a relatively small list of incomplete games on your profile, is there a correlation between what interests you and how likely you are to be able to platinum the game?

I've been completing games for decades. Trophies are simply a side-effect of my gaming habits.

• Like 4

Well for me it's a mix almost all voting options :D The situation changed over the 10 years of my psn profile.

When i created my profile i played whatever i wanted regardless of trophies and stopped after story completion mostly (i.e. Catherine, Ducktales, Mirror's Edge).

I played a few games on a different account to avoid the incomplete game on my profile (i.e. CoD Blsck Ops 3).

I didn't play some games because i'm afraid i can't get the :platinum: (i.e. Wolfenstein 2) or it's impossible for technical reasons (i.e. James Bond Quantum of Solace).

In recent years i tend to play whatever i want and leave it incomplete (i.e. Monster Hunter World, Deep Rock Galactic, Aliens Fireteam Elite).

Some game i still have hopes to get the :platinum: (i.e. Mirror's Edge, EDF 4.1)

• Like 2

Games with unattainables, I generally avoid like the plague. If the Devs aren't willing to fix/support them, I'm not willing to spend my time and money on them. Unless I've missed a server shutdown through my own fault, then I'll just try to do the trophies that I can (eg. Killzone 2)

Games with tough trophy lists, I'll play them if I want to play them and not worry too much about the platinum.. if it comes, it comes (eg. Pure Pool)

Edited by iXanon
  • Like 2

I just play it and don't care about the trophies. It's a good lesson in humility, in my opinion, not everything will go down as you plan in your life. If I would have try out games on a different account just to see if I will like them, or to avoid having them on my main account, It would be more of a chore than a pleasant experience which it shouldn't be.

• Like 2

I almost always look up the platinum difficulty from various trophy guides (if available) and then research the most difficult trophies and why. But, inevitably, if there's a game I very much want to play (for example, the latest jrpg or latest souls like) I'll just play it regardless of difficulty and hope I can get the platinum. If not? Oh well. I got plenty of 1 to 3 percents already. 

In the end, it's all about how enjoyable the game is. 

• Like 1

I'll play it.

My trophy profile or whatever you want to call it is just a record of games I've played. There's unobtainable lists there, and there's lists that can never be completed. What matters to me is that everything I played is there for me to see, from the shovelware trash to masterpieces. Couldn't care less how it appears to other people.

That said, I admit I have a higher barrier to start a game that might be difficult to complete, because I do generally want to 100% the lists. That said, I don't generally consider myself incapable of 100%:ing any game that is possible to do. The issue really comes down to time. I mean, I have Crypt of the Necrodancer sitting on my profile. Every now and then I think maybe I'll go at it at some point. Probably never will as it's too much effort. But hey, I like the game so I would rather my profile tell the story that I've played it and achieved four trophies in it, than not having played it at all.

• Like 3

I have never had this problem.  I play whatever I want.  This account is twelve years old, I made it back before I was even worried about trophies.  And no matter what, there is always going to be at least two games stuck with 1 trophy a piece at the bottom of my list.  Even if I'm not going for the plat, I aim for around 70% for the base game.

I put that I will play the game anyway, but that's not always the case. There are caveats.

If a platinum is unobtainable but I really like the look of the game I'll still play it. 

If a platinum is too multi-player heavy I won't bother as I prefer not to have to rely on other people. I don't mind a few multi-player trophies, I recently got the platinum on homefront the revolution and I actually decided early on not to bother with the plat as the online was a ghost town and I could never find a session to play, however as it was free on ps+ I persuaded a couple of people to download it and we had a blast doing the online, so once those were out the way I went for the plat.

Games that need more that one playthrough.... initially I would avoid those, but after doing greedfall, then mortal shell, then the surge 2, then doing 3 playthroughs to get lords of the fallen plat, it seems I actually quite enjoy playing games through again, I just pick a different style to keep it fresh.

Massive grind trophies don't really appeal to me, I don't mind a bit of grind but currently I'm running around the far cry 3 map getting all the collectibles and it's starting to wear a little, however I do try to split the grind into manageable chunks, so now I'm getting a bit bored of the collectibles, I'll do a couple of story missions then go back to the collectibles later. 

I'm a trophy hunter, but I'm not hard-core, I'll happily abandon a game if I give it a shot and it's not my cup of tea. There's numerous games in my list that only have 1 or 2 trophies. As an aside, I only started caring about trophies about 2 years ago when I got my first plat with days gone (that was almost accidental, I played the game organically and only needed 2 trophies to get the plat so thought I might as well, and then the bug bit), my profile goes back to 2008 I believe, then I had a 7 year gap from 2013 to 2020 where I didn't touch a game full stop, I thought my gaming days were over until we inherited a ps4 pro after a death in the family. Even then I didn't touch it for months until I finally spotted rdr2 in the game pile and started playing that. 

It has to be fun, above all else, as surely that's what gaming is all about.

Edited by harper2704
Further additions
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Stardroid said:

I was going to buy Jumping Cars Turbo, but ultimately I declinded as I felt I did not have the skill to pull of a platinum on that game. That's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes

I thought the same with I am bread and slay the spire. Holds true, although slay the spire is also largely luck based, but I still played them as they are super fun in random doses.

I typically avoid games with unobtainable platinums or platinums that are just absurd and I can't see myself completing. I still buy plenty of UR games I'll never platinum, but it helps to feel like I could platinum a game. Trophy hunting helps me stay motivated with my gaming and I obviously cannot do that with a game that requires me to spend a thousand hours in VR or is broken. I do still sometimes play games I know I can't platinum, period, but they take a backseat since I already have so many games on my backlog that I can platinum.

I honestly find the obsession with completion percentage kind of bizarre, given that most completionist trophy hunters have alternate accounts to play games they don't complete - but if you're not actually a completionist, what's the point of a completionist account? You're chasing a meaningless number with no correlation to the reality of your gaming. Not to mention how much complaining I see from people forcing themselves to play games they don't want to, or getting upset at developers for adding more DLC, as if their poor choice of trophy hunting philosophy is Gearbox's fault.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 1