How do you all handle games you want to play but know you can't platinum?

skotafactor

How do you all handle games you want to play but know you can't platinum?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. How do you all handle games you want to play but know you can't platinum?

• I avoid anything I can't plat like the plague
    • I'll play it on a different account
    • I'll play it on a different console or PC
    • I'll play it and hide my trophy list
    • I'll play it and not worry about account percentage or the game's rank on PSNP

It reeeealllyyy depends on what the game is. If say, it's a sequel to something I really love and we got word on the trophies ahead of time and we know it's going to be like a 8/10 Plat (versus the last game being like a 4/10), I'll probably play it anyways. I still play WWE games every year knowing there's a high chance I won't Plat it because the Online is always so grindy or headache inducing that I just can't bother (or in 2K22's case, I hate Proving Grounds). But there are odd instances like Wolfenstein II...I highly doubt I'm going to bother with Mein Leben, but I enjoyed the first game enough that I want to play the second game eventually. 

However, if it's something I'm not a fan of but thought the game looked cool and wanted to check it out, but then I realize the Plat is ridiculous, I'll likely pass on it. Never really played the Devil May Cry series, but when DMC5 came out I thought it looked incredible...but when we found out how insane the Platinum was, I just decided not to bother. 

Because honestly it does get hard to care knowing my Plat pursuit isn't going to happen right away. There's too many games out there to play, that I can Plat, to worry about the ones I can't. It's a different story if I play something THEN realize I won't plat it. A lot of you guys have this ability to treat trophies like just some extra added bonus to your game...I can't. For me getting trophies and playing the game go hand in hand, they're one in the same...so if you tell me from the start that I can't Plat something then it turns me off from it. 

• Like 4

I can resonate with those in the camp of “play it and get as many trophies as I can”. 

For me, currently the struggle comes comes more with prioritization. If I have too many games in my backlog, I tend to jump into ones that I want to hunt or go for platinum. For example, I bought RDR2 at the start of the pandemic, but it’s been sitting waiting to be played for the last 2 years. I’m not into the grind that most Rockstar games take, but I enjoy the games themselves. Every time I’m ready to play it, I tend to fire up something else in my queue, though. 

As far as hiding games goes, I’m not afraid to hide a list, but it’s only reserved for games that I played for less than an hour before giving up and regretting popping anything (Dead Rising 4, RE: Resistance, etc.) or games that my exchange student played when he and I shared an account back in high school (UFC 2009). So with that, my completion percentage has gotten a little positively skewed, but I tend to use my account as more of a checklist than a record of everything I’ve touched. 

Edited by skotafactor
  • Like 1

I selected the second option "I'll play on a different account" even though the truth is that: if I really want to play a game, I'll play it anyway unless it has unobtainable trophies. 

I care about completion %, tbh that's my main focus, so the games that I plan to play on a different account are those which:

- have unobtainable trophies;

- have massive grinding online trophies;

- I don't like enough to try to get the platinum;

- I'm not sure if I'm gonna enjoy or not

Edited by ShinySpidey
  • Like 1

Well I'm usually very laid back with this, I just play what I feel like playing and that's it, but a few months back I looked into my account and I had far more incomplete games than complete, so I decided to raise to it 90%, but I don't do it for the numbers alone as that can be finicky and my OCD would explode it's more about actually seeing the games I bought to completion, and if by any chance there's one trophy I can't get I can live with it, as long as I'm having fun it's worth it.

• Like 1

There should be another option that says "I'll play it knowing I probably won't get the plat but still want to get quite a few trophies/relatively high completion percentage." That's the boat I'm in with a lot of games. And then some games I know I will get almost no trophies in (lengthly or quite challenging) and still go for it regardless. Despite the high amount of EZPZ games on my account and more shovelware than should be there, the games do come first. 

• Like 1

I'll play what I want and try to get as many trophies as I can even if I don't think I'll get the platinum. If I give up on a game early enough, I have no qualms about hiding the trophy list as I consider it more a record of games I enjoyed enough to keep playing rather than a brag list of all trophies earned.

• Like 1

There's some games like SMB or AVGN Game, I really enjoy playing on PC because it's easier for me to control precise movements when using a keyboard with my hands. But despite that I still try for them and other hard games on PlayStation wether I will be successful or not.

Like getting no death in SMB first world I was quite proud of with controller, where I have more of a disadvantage with my hands. Or getting legit platinum times in Rayman Legends depsite how hard it is to do some of the precise cancels without having my hand lock up.

• Like 1

I only recently started to care about my completion percentage more than the platinum itself. I don't have a long gaming history with trophies and I usually was the kind of person who gets comfortable playing one game and likes to keep playing them or play them again and again; rather that starting a new one. Sequels with similar mechanics kinda fall under both categories. Trophies are fun to go after and a good reason to keep playing a game. I have a backlog of about 100 new games and games I don't have a 100% on my profile so I am usually in two modes,

Backlog mode: start a new game I am interested in and play till I'm done with it (sometimes it means 100% and I still keep playing like GoW:R and FF7R, or till I get burnt out and return to it later like Yakuza 0 and Batman AK)

Competition mode: pick a game in my profile I don't have a 100% on and get closer to 100%. (Only if I can and want to)

I don't really care about 100% in everything but try to get everything I can and want to.

Edited by boorish_brute
  • Like 3

Anything with an unobtainable plat or a plat I can't reasonably grind out I've just started buying on another console instead. My other consoles had mostly been collecting dust anyway so it's a good excuse to actually use them more. It's been especially nice as I go through and play forgotten PS3/360 games since that was the era of tacked on multiplayer you oftentimes can't even play anymore.

Anything PS exclusive I've just started to play on an alt account, but so far that's only been like 2 games from my backlog and I can't think of any others so it's not much of an issue.

I don't really care about my completion percentage that much, but, there is something that really annoys me when I go into a game knowing the plat is totally impossible. So I've been trying to avoid it.

Edited by ZenaxPure

While I still care about my completion percentage, I'll still play anything I'm interested in. Even if it becomes clear I don't have the skill and/or time to fully dedicate myself to finish a game to a platinum/100%. Not to mention unannounced dlc I have no plans on buying that has trophies attached to it. However, I won't start up a game with unobtainable trophies via server shutdown, as it just feels like an incomplete product at that point without all of its services (multiplayer modes) available.

• Like 1

I voted I'll play it and not worry about account percentage or the game's rank on PSNP.

I was lucky as of now, but in no game that I ever bought or played I was not able to get the platinum.

Maybe this happened, because most games others call hard are not interesting me because of the games story, genre or such things.
The other games that are uncompleted as of now I can finish (minus the games with server shutdown), but not interested much in them since varying time periods.

But my guess is, that I can platinum any game I play will change when I start some games that I already bought but had put aside.
Like: Dark Souls 2 on PS3 and PS4, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro, Bloodborne, Elden Ring, Returnal, Ace Combat 7

Finding a Platinum I can't obtain doesn't happen very often, as most games have fairly easy trophies nowadays. The closest I've gotten to giving up was with GG Strive. Most people consider it an easy Plat but I had a pretty hard time with it. 

The only instance where trophies would stop me from playing a game would be if I was already on the fence about it, but only when looking at older games, as I dont check lists for new ones.

I have yet to come across a game I can't platinum because of difficulty but I avoid games that are unobtainable. If I haven't played a game by the time it becomes unobtainable, it wasn't one I very much wanted to play to begin with.

Bugged trophies are annoying but I've never had an issue skipping those before, sometimes those get fixed eventually.

• Like 1

I'm a mix of all the options.  Although, I try to platinum the games I play that obviously doesn't always happen.  I am a mix.  I do have an alternate "junk" account, That69Haze, which I will play games on that I don't plan on platinuming/100%ing for various reasons.  I play the pinball games on that account because I enjoy pinball from time-to-time, but there's no way I'm adding Pinball FX3 to this, my main profile, and never be able to 100% it or even come close because I'm not interested in buying every pinball table or trying to earn every damn trophy either.  Some of which are quite difficult and take a lot of time and practice.  Yeah.  Not interested.  But to pick up and play once in a while for fun and to relax and unwind?  Sure.  I play the classic arcade games on there as well.  Galaga.  Ms. Pac-Man.  Pac-Man.  Etcetera.  When it comes to those games could I platinum them?  Sure.  There are guides and I don't think any of them are super difficult.  Challenging maybe, but I don't think they're 8 to 10 difficulty.  Growing up in that era - the 80s - arcade games such as those were all about the high score - improving your high score - and what level or round you could reach - improving your game so you can reach higher levels.  Basically, they are all about the leaderboard.  As such, FOR ME, just my opinion and view, I don't think their the types of games for trophies or to trophy hunt with.  Just my opinion.  I just don't see getting a platinum in Pac-Man as fun.  I read the guides.  I know about the "save scumming" method after each level and I know there are videos to follow showing the "perfect" route so you can finish all the levels, etcetera, etcetera.  Yeah.  That does not sound like fun at all to me.  But that's just me.  No shade meant to everyone who platinums those games.  Good for you. ??

There are other games too that fit this bill.  Black Ops 3 zombies and multiplayer.  Warframe.  Games I can't be assed going for the platinum/100%.  Just not fun for me.

Games where the platinum is not obtainable?  I'll just skip those games for the most part.

Everything else here on my main account I try to platinum (100% at times), but some games I decide I can't be assed after I started them.  Wet, Hotline: Miami, Lollipop Chainsaw come to mind.  There are also games that I played that I didn't enjoy at all so I never bother to platinum them.  Infamous and Final Fantasy X come to mind.  Still, 106 games on my profile and I have 70 platinums.  Not too shabby, I think. 

Edited by Spider-Man916

If a game is impossible to plat, I play it on another platform or account if I can.

If it's just hard and I really want to play it, I'll push myself until I 100% it. Some games took me years, but so far so good! 12 years in and still at 100%!

This account is my secondary account and is purely for trophy hunting, I’ll first play a game on my main account and if I like it I’ll play it on this account and go for the platinum/100%. There is only two games I’ve come across that I haven’t started on this account since I made my account, Black Ops 3 and Wolfenstein 2.

I don’t think that I’ll beat Mein Liben, while I do think I have the skill to do it, I don’t think I have the time or patience. And with Black Ops 3 the only thing holding me back is that you need to do the Easter Eggs for Shadows, Revelations and Shangri-la on multiplayer with 3 other people.

Although I do play most games that are on this account on blank accounts if there is a particularly difficult or buggy trophy (looking at you Let’s Bounce and Fector’s Challenge) Currently the only games on blank accounts at the moment is Old Blood and Heavy Rain.

• Like 1