How do you all handle games you want to play but know you can't platinum?

skotafactor

How do you all handle games you want to play but know you can't platinum?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. How do you all handle games you want to play but know you can't platinum?

• I avoid anything I can't plat like the plague
    • I'll play it on a different account
    • I'll play it on a different console or PC
    • I'll play it and hide my trophy list
    • I'll play it and not worry about account percentage or the game's rank on PSNP

I avoid games with unobtainable trophies. Other than that, I play anything I feel I'll enjoy.  I do a lot of research before playing a game though so I feel like before I even start a game I know I'll like it and have the best strategies to get the platinum. I don't buy new games nowadays since I can't justify paying $90+tax for brand new games so there's always a lot of information on the games by the time I play them since I only buy games that are on sale by 60% or more.

• Like 1

I'll always try and get as many trophies as i can even if it is unobtainable or too hard for me, I had unobtainable games on my list early on before I was even that into trophies so it's too late to turn back now. I also think if I did have a 100% account that I would feel pressured to keep it that way and force myself to play through games I've started that I'm not enjoying, or to make sure every game I play is something I can beat and not ever push myself incase I can't complete it.

I just play them. I'm more annoyed when there's glitched trophies, that puts me off more since it shows a disinterest by publisher/developer to release a functioning product. Which doesn't bode well for the game itself. 

Even then if the game looks like something I want, I'll still just play it. I've surprised myself with things I never intended or thought I could platinum before. Soul Calibur VI for example. I am atrocious at fighting games, but find them fun. So whenever I platinum one it feels really good to me. I just am not a fan of competitive stuff and most have online win trophies. I choke so bad. lol, Bayonetta is another and I double dipped that one. (if not for the PS4 version being glitched at the time, they'd be at most 2-3 minutes apart instead of a few hours; still got it the same day though).

The Earth Defense Force series is a great example. I never expect to platinum a single one of these, but I just find them fun as hell and can't not play them over dumb trophies. And who knows, maybe in 10 years I'll have one of them. I've gone back to a lot of things I never thought I would that I thought I had already done all I could, just because I felt now like I could do some more with access to rarity data and guides and stuff that weren't as common back then.

My goal is to get my completion up to 60% by next Christmas, so it might delay me playing something for now until I'm firmly in that range. But we'll see. It depends on the game, and how much I must play it right away.

Edited by Elvick_

Avoidance. Barring unobtainables, it's usually not a matter of can't, but more "do I really want the stress right now?" No matter how good they might look, repeatedly slamming my head against the brick wall of absurdly difficult games doesn't appeal to me anymore, so I've been avoiding a few titles in particular that I would otherwise be interested in. Namely: Devil May Cry 5, Skul: The Hero Slayer, and Huntdown. Perhaps my attitude will change someday, though.

• Like 1

I've stated before that I like looking at stats on this site, it's one of the main reasons I like it here. But it would be boring if it remained 100% all the time, it's far more fun to have accurate that I can use to learn about my play style and watch it change when I know I'm about to come into a bunch of S ranks soon.

Plus I like playing games and the playstation is my main place I do that, it doesn't matter to me that it turns out I wasn't good enough to get the Solitaire Conspiracy Plat, I wanted to play the new Mike Bithell game because I knew I'd like it.  

It varies for me. 

If a game has an unobtainable trophy or it glitches on me, I just play it on my main account and not hide it. Like Hellpoint recently, aimed for a plat, a bug in a final boss fight prevented me from finishing it. 

If a game makes me say "holy crap, that was a bad idea" after half an hour and 1 trophy, I delete it and hide the list... 

...but if it was a few or more hours of gameplay, a genuine attempt to like said game and 1/3rd of the trophies unlocked, then I keep it on the list. It's more like a failed experiment than a complete mistake at that point. 

If it's something like Wolfenstein 2, a game that I buy knowing I won't even attempt to plat it but want to play it anyway, I'm about to start it and I see the amount of collectibles I would have to get (I mean, I wouldn't HAVE to, but you know... I would) - I put it off. And I lie to myself that I will get to it at some point. 

I also keep putting off The Long Journey home - the game intrigues me, but the amount of glitched trophies is very discouraging. So completely broken trophy lists are something that will make me ignore a game that I'd potentially like. 

But I've been playing on Xbox a lot recently, not caring about achievements at all, including games that I could play and plat on PS5 and in almost every case I came to the conclusion that I would plat them on PS5, but I'm glad I don't "have" to. So I guess I don't really like trophies anymore and I'm kinda shifting towards "I play them on another console/pc". 

My mindset is to platinum everything that I start, so I purposely avoid games with multiplayer trophies or that the platinum is unobtainable. I became an obsessed completionist with trophies, way more than I was before them, so I chose the first option.

But if there was one game that I really, really, REALLY wanted to play but could not plat for whatever reason I would still play it. I got the plat, but I was unsure if my skills were enough for a game like DMC5. Thankfully they were and I got the trophy, but regardless the game is too good to pass up. Since to date this was the only time, I have never not played a game that I wanted because of trophies. 

I have a few unobtainables on my list. I will probably skip Dante’s Infernos co-op trials since the game is pretty dead and I had to get a UK account just to get those trials to begin with. 

If I cannot obtain all trophies in a game, I do my best to earn an A rank. GTA V on the PS3 is a lost cause, but there’s some stuff I can clean up and earn that A rank. The PS4 version will likely be unfinished, because the Doomsday Heist requires going well beyond the base game online. 

DOOM 2016 is also unlikely, because that game actually forced my PS4 to shut down due to overheating, so until I apply thermal paste that game will stay dormant.

Generally I avoid games with online, which makes Dante’s Inferno and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker that much more important because they’re stuck on the PS3. I almost always try out games on an alt, just so I can get a feel for them and if I decide to finish, I play them on my main. 

Certain games, like Street Fighter V, I probably can’t finish anyway because of how ridiculous the platinum is. Also, I hate online ranked matches with a passion, thankfully Tekken made those trophies easy.

• Like 1

Trying to get a profile percentage as close to 100% as possible sounds like the thief of joy, to me personally anyway. I usually decide before playing if I want to even attempt a game's plat, and may just ignore trophies entirely for the most part if I don't. And if a game's plat becomes too tedious along the way (or the game itself), I have no qualms about dropping those plans to achieve the platinum.

Though, I have put off starting games that I know have glitched trophies, or games that don't have trophy guides yet (especially if I know there's missables), in hopes the trophies will one day be fixed and/or a guide is written. But it won't stop me from eventually getting around to a game; it's more of a concern to me if I ever DO get around to a game among my massive backlog if nothing else, glitched trophies or no.

Edited by Raidou Kuzunoha XIV
  • Like 4

On 12/6/2022 at 1:39 AM, Zircon_Lotus said:

My mindset is to platinum everything that I start, so I purposely avoid games with multiplayer trophies or that the platinum is unobtainable. I became an obsessed completionist with trophies, way more than I was before them, so I chose the first option.

I'm similar, although I won't deny myself an excellent experience just because of trophies. I do the single-player portion of a game and call it done(I collect trophies on blank profiles and sync them only if I'm satisfied with the trophy progress).

Edited by SereneFox

I'll just play it and not care. I do intend to plat almost everything I play, but if it's too hard or annoying or I can't be bothered with MP, I can live with that. I have a couple of very achievable plats I'm one trophy away from, but it's MP only and requires boosting/grinding, and I just don't care. I enjoyed the games though, and don't regret having them on my profile. 

• Like 1

I don't care about Platinums from the games I want to play, if there's a game I really want to play and I can only get 30% of the trophies, I'm fine with that, I Platinum games because it's my style to complet games as much as I can, and it's naural that most of the time you get a Platinum when you do that, but that's just a side effect of my gaming style, not my priority

but I care about finishing my games, I don't want to start a game, find out it's trash, then I'm stuck with 1 trophy earned and 1%, so I only play games I know I can at least commit to finishing on my main account and I play the games I'm just trying out on a blank offline user that you can create and delete in seconds

Edited by The Investigator

Don’t get me wrong, I want the plat for most games I play. But I don’t have any problem with not getting the plat for some games. And I absolutely couldn’t care any less about dlc with games and extra trophies that come with those. Once I’ve finished a game I have absolutely no interest at all in returning months later for a few extra levels etc. 

It’s not very often I come across a game that I’m just unable to get the plat for (they are there though, destroy all humans was one that sticks in my mind. Could have played that for weeks, but I just wasn’t good enough at one of the challenges to actually get the plat) but there are literally 100s of games I just become completely disinterested in getting the plat. The reason for this usually comes down to two things. Once I started the game I found I didn’t enjoy the game enough to warrant playing it to the end or even for more than a few hours (eg dolmen, aliens fireteam and other equally shit and boring games) or for a 2nd or 3rd playthrough and trophies may be linked to doing this through speedrun or to unlock a higher difficulty etc. Again, have no real problem with difficulty trophies or speedrun as a rule, but it has to be in a game I liked playing or it has to be incredibly short. I’m not willing to spend more time replaying a game I didn’t enjoy.

The 2nd main reason I wouldn’t get the plat usually boils down to one other thing. the level of grinding the game expects of you is just too high. Above everything else I hate grinding. The last reason I play games is to replay the same area of a game over and over, killing the same enemies in the same way over and over just to incrementally increase xp. Even if I loved a game I will turn my back on the plat, with only one trophy to go in some cases, because I find the level of grind offensive (like a dragon is one that especially hurts as I loved the game)

I still play the games but set the goal of getting X amount of trophies (good examples of these are Yakuza games, they are great games but the time commitment at the end to finish all the mini games gets a little tiring). I have such a large outstanding amount of unearned trophies so I usually tell myself to revisit something and make up for the trophies I didn't earn in the game. Finally got below 5k unearned this year so I aim to stay below that.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I don't believe a trophy list should be the first thing you look at or the determining factor of playing a game. If I chose not to play any game I couldn't platinum, then I would have missed out on a lot of really great games. Games should be played to enjoy the story and learn about the characters and world, not to earn a trophy that no one else will even look at. I'll be the first to admit that trophies give me the motivation to play and complete games, along with experiencing things within that game that I probably wouldn't have otherwise, but to play a game ONLY for the trophies is just crazy to me. I'd rather not get the plat than pass up on a game with an amazing story and awesome characters.

• Like 1