Child of Light gets retail deluxe edition, this edition is exclusive to PS3, PS4, and PC

Lady Lilith

Not sure what I think of this game? Not really seen or read anything about it... 

The special edition does look good though 

This is a 2D side scroller running on the Rayman engine mixed with an RPG action-turn-based battle system.

On another note... my local GameStop told me this was a download only so i just did the day one digital version and already paid for it...  That box set looks very nice though!

Looks like a great game - and a completely disgusting and pathetic attempt by brick-and-mortar retailers to extend thier existence past thier natural life.

These retailers have spent decades treating customers and developers/publishers like crap just because they could, and now that internet infrastructure is at a point that we can tell them to fuck off they pull this kind of horse-shit deathrattle.

Cant wait to play Child of Light, and cant wait for physical game retailers to go bust they way they should have years ago.

Yeah, cause Steam really has outrageous prices, right?

Does Steam sell PS3/PS4/Vita titles? The main reason I still haven't switched to digital is because you lose first sale rights. I was hoping Steam was going to create a digital marketplace to re-sell titles and if they do, I'll finally make the hop. If not, I'm keeping my discs that I can resell and have access to whenever I want.

Also, when you say "physical game retailers" do you mean just Gamestop? Or are you talking about Target, Walmart, Kmart, Sears, Best Buy, Amazon and all other brick and mortar stores that sell games? I'm not up on the latest crazy stuff you seem to be talking about: "spent decades treating customers and developers/publishers like crap."

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 1

This is a 2D side scroller running on the Rayman engine mixed with an RPG action-turn-based battle system.

On another note... my local GameStop told me this was a download only so i just did the day one digital version and already paid for it...  That box set looks very nice though!

You can order it from UK/EU stores. That's what I'm doing.

Does Steam sell PS3/PS4/Vita titles? The main reason I still haven't switched to digital is because you lose first sale rights. I was hoping Steam was going to create a digital marketplace to re-sell titles and if they do, I'll finally make the hop. If not, I'm keeping my discs that I can resell and have access to whenever I want.

No, Steam sells PC titles only.

Also, in reply to one of the people above, in my experience digital game codes from other retailers have always been the same price, and in some cases actually more - Amazon, as just getting the game straight from the system's store. 

Edited by BooneJusticius

Also, when you say "physical game retailers" do you mean just Gamestop? Or are you talking about Target, Walmart, Kmart, Sears, Best Buy, Amazon and all other brick and mortar stores that sell games? I'm not up on the latest crazy stuff you seem to be talking about: "spent decades treating customers and developers/publishers like crap."

Interestingly, the smallprint in M$'s original proposal for XBone was that, whilst your game would be registered to the first console it was booted on, (and therefore not trade-in-able in the usual way), they apparently had a plan to allow users to trade their licenses so there still would have been a market for second hand games.  Unsure how it would have worked in practice, but I presume it would happen through XBL Marketplace somehow, with M$ getting a cut.  This apparently would have allowed you to sell old XBL games you had gotten tired of.  But when they ditched the policy, they took away the ability to trade these licences.

hmm, well, I guess some people wouldnt consider buying recent releases back from customers at £15-odd quid then slapping a price of £5 below rrp on it and actively advising customers to buy the 2nd hand one, thus depriving the publisher of thier well deserved revenue to be reprehensible.

Or selling traded in games at £5 less than rrp without specifying to casual customers that they will need to pay £10 for an online pass after the fact?

Or instructing thier ill informed, lying staff - by corporte mandate - not to advise customers against buying bad games, but instead to push whatever game is not selling?

Or (as Game UK did) slapping stickers over the '2' on Mass Effect 2 boxes right after ME3 came out to try and trick customers into buying the wrong game when EA refused to give in to thier demands for favourable rates on ME3?

Or generally being filled with cretinous, spotty little teenagers who steal pre-order bonus codes, horde copies of new games for friends, wont let a person buy a game without asking if you want to preorder another one, or buy the fucking 'guide' for it "um, no, id like to fucking play it first!"

I have no problem with Amazon - at least with online retailers I dont have to actually look at the greasy teenager that is serving me, but stores like Game, Gamestation and I guess Gamespot (I dont live in the US) can fuck right off. The sooner they are out of the picture the sooner the industry will improve.

• Like 2

1. Or selling traded in games at £5 less than rrp without specifying to casual customers that they will need to pay £10 for an online pass after the fact?

2. Or instructing thier ill informed, lying staff - by corporte mandate - not to advise customers against buying bad games, but instead to push whatever game is not selling? 

3. Or (as Game UK did) slapping stickers over the '2' on Mass Effect 2 boxes right after ME3 came out to try and trick customers into buying the wrong game when EA refused to give in to thier demands for favourable rates on ME3?

I'm sorry but the things I've left in your quote are just idiotic complaints of yours about game stores in general. We know you don't like game stores, but seriously, at least make your complaints legitimate.

#1 is not the fault of the game store at all. People being stupid and failing to even just research simple details and facts about something before they buy it is in no way the fault of the store. Now if they say there is no online pass needed just to sell the used copy when there really is an online pass, then yes, that's the fault of the store. But again, that would be another case where the buyer also should have done their research first.

#2. This complaint alone is entirely laughable. Just because you think a game is bad does not mean it is bad to another person. Thinking everyone should feel the same way about something that you do is completely ignorant. Not to mention that their job is to sell games, not talk people out of buying games.

#3. See #1. Games have copyright years listed on them not to mention there's the internet where people can look at things before they buy, including what the cover for a game looks like. I'm not saying what Game did was right because it's not but to entirely blame them is just wrong. If people weren't stupid enough to fall for crap like that then Game, or any other store, wouldn't be doing it.

Edited by BooneJusticius

is it true that this game will be cross buy in EU and not NA? If so, thats pretty BS. That would make me not even want to buy this, despite being very interested in the game.
I just don't want to support Ubisoft if they have that much favoritism that they would make us double dip if we wanted both versions, while another country gets both for one price. :(

is it true that this game will be cross buy in EU and not NA? If so, thats pretty BS. That would make me not even want to buy this, despite being very interested in the game.

I just don't want to support Ubisoft if they have that much favoritism that they would make us double dip if we wanted both versions, while another country gets both for one price. :(

Hey Ryu.

I dunno if you've already researched this but based on this (Ryan Clements' second comment) it apparently will work out that way for NA.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/03/the-first-2-hours-of-child-of-light-on-ps4/

After thinking about it, it kind of makes sense to do this to squeeze as much money out of this as they can.

They probably figure this game will have no problem selling in North America, so why not make it a separate purchase for the PS4 version?

And for Europe and the rest of the world, they probably figure it won't sell as well so they added Cross-buy to help boost sales as well as the Deluxe Edition to give them something pretty in case that isn't enough.

Just guesses though. I still won't be buying this on PSN yet :(

Maybe on Steam when its on sale.

Edited by rsoto1125
  • Like 1

Hey Ryu.

I dunno if you've already researched this but based on this (Ryan Clements' second comment) it apparently will work out that way for NA.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/03/the-first-2-hours-of-child-of-light-on-ps4/

After thinking about it, it kind of makes sense to do this to squeeze as much money out of this as they can.

They probably figure this game will have no problem selling in North America, so why not make it a separate purchase for the PS4 version?

And for Europe and the rest of the world, they probably figure it won't sell as well so they added Cross-buy to help boost sales as well as the Deluxe Edition to give them something pretty in case that isn't enough.

Just guesses though. I still won't be buying this on PSN yet :(

Maybe on Steam when its on sale.

oh, i see. thanks.