PSTV Uses in 2022 and Beyond?

da-Noob123

Recently I moved and in going through my boxes I came across my Playstation TV. I have had this thing for years and I never really used it. I am curious as to what other people who own and still use them actually do with them. I will note that I do not have a Vita memory card and I think it has a mere gigabyte of memory; I am guessing for it to be of any real use, I would need one of those.

• Like 1

Well if I ever want to tackle the Challenge of the Gods trophy in the Vita version of GoW, I’ll need to buy a PSTV. That was brutal enough with a PS3 controller, can’t imagine trying to do that with Vita sticks. I regret not getting a PSTV when they were giving them away, but unless you don’t own a Vita, there’s not that much use for it.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Play3GianniGreed said:

You can play some of the games for the psvita, some games requires the touch screen or motion sensors and you can't play these one. This is pretty much all you can do in 2022, unless you install a custom firmware to play more games or emulate other consoles. 

And it's a nice door stopper. 

? Thank you for the reply.

7 hours ago, diskdocx said:

Well if I ever want to tackle the Challenge of the Gods trophy in the Vita version of GoW, I’ll need to buy a PSTV. That was brutal enough with a PS3 controller, can’t imagine trying to do that with Vita sticks. I regret not getting a PSTV when they were giving them away, but unless you don’t own a Vita, there’s not that much use for it.

Thank you as well.

Do either of you know of an existing list compiling the Vita games you can play on it?

I personally use the PSTV for video capture. If you have a HDMI splitter which bypasses HDCP, you can run it through a capture card to record or stream gameplay. Seeing how it's nearly impossible to find vitas with video output these days, this is the best solution

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Play3GianniGreed said:

You can play some of the games for the psvita, some games requires the touch screen or motion sensors and you can't play these one.

You can actually play games with touch screen, particularly if using a PS4 controller - Killzone Mercenary works brilliantly for example (shame the online servers are now down for multiplayer).

The main problem is that a lot of titles simply haven't had a PSTV patch, so refuse to load unless using custom firmware.

15 minutes ago, GraniteSnake said:

I use this list, hasn’t steered me wrong so far! - https://www.vitaplayer.co.uk/list-of-playstation-tv-compatible-games/

This list though shows that there are still many titles to enjoy on the PSTV - great for those who don't enjoy handheld gaming. I still use mine quite a bit as I prefer the feel of a proper analogue stick.

Quite a lot of digital PSP titles work too, so it's a great way to play those games.

Edited by batman844
  • Like 1

pstv is the jrpg machine if u like jrpgs you will love this thing i use it alot i have 2 vitas and a pstv but i honestly prefer to just play on the pstv as im not a fan of handheld consoles i also use it over vita cos its easier for video capture with a splitter

Mine's a dust collector. I haven't touched it in over 6 years, I believe? Or is it 5 years? :hmm: Oh and like an idiot I accidentally threw away the power cable! :facepalm:

The reason I even bought it in the first place? Those goddamn Ace Bunyan races (Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando - Vita version)! At first they were tricky enough on the PS3 but once you got a feel for the ship they weren't too bad at all. But doing it on the Vita with those tiny ass sticks and the uncontrollable habit of moving the Vita console up, down and sideways in your hands while flying through the rings made those races impossible for me to win. The PSTV saved my ass (and a platinum) so amen to that! 

• Like 2

I originally got one to remote play from my parents place to my place if I was there for a weekend.

It didn't work flawless because there was some input lag despite good/fast internet connections on both sides but there was almost 200km in between the places and it was an old tv.

But slower games could be played with it that way, like the walking dead and even bully (as long as you didn't use the kart xD)

Last time I used it that way was 2 or 3 years ago as I put a PS4 Pro over there.
And as far as I know the remote play only supported PS4 and never got an update to support PS5 :(

12 hours ago, diskdocx said:

Is not that hard, specially last one on GOW 1 is hard, and Titan's Challenge I think before the last one was hard also.

Thing is, on PSVITA there is a glitch/bug that ruins you everything because a lot of times that you dodge, Kratos animation looks in slow motion while the rest of the game goes at normal speed, not even that, I even recall watching some enemies going even faster than usual. So, last challenge, that one on the elevator, was pretty hard on PSVITA.

But overall it's stil a 4/10 or 5/10 difficulty trophy, not that hard at all compare to things we've already done.

If it works for you as a little guide, I wanted to share my experience as far as I remember.

Even if some games play better with a proper controller than on the Vita, those games are in general even better if played on the PS3 or PS4 in terms of performance and visuals like for example with God of War. The only real use is for trophy stackers and for those who prefer the Vita's small exclusive library on the TV. I guess it's also the best way to legally play many PSP games on the TV but the emulator is still very basic and featureless. I'd also argue that there is very little in the PSP library really worth playing today, especially with how it looks on a big screen. 

I'm keeping mine and the main reason is that it's more future proof than the Vita. It's easier to repair or replace PS3/PS4 controllers than it is to repair a Vita and a PS TV can start up without needing a battery unlike the Vita. If I many years from now want to replay a game I really enjoyed then I have more confidence in being able to play it on the PS TV than the Vita. I won't actually use the PS TV until my Vita breaks though, it's just a backup.

• Like 1

Some games have a different control scheme on Vita TV, like Killzone Mercenary. If you play the game on Vita TV, you can use L2, R2, L3, R3 instead of touch controls on a Vita.

Some games are easier when played with an external controller, like Superbeat Xonic. It is very hard to get a platinum on Vita, but is much easier on Vita TV.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 11:46 PM, Z1MZUM said:

is whitelisted just to play Shinobido 2

Ha! Mine's whitelisted as well and I also used it to play Shinobido 2. I platinumed the NA and EU stacks!  ? The reason I whitelisted mine was so that I could play Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando for the Bunyan races. I'm a complete retard when it comes to computers so I had to have my girlfriend help me with all the technical parts of whitelisting it. 

Edited by MrTacoNinja

8 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

@Z1MZUM @MrTacoNinja What exactly does "whitelisting" do and does it affect count as hacking trophies?

Hacking trophies? Nah, not at all. What whitelisting does is bypasses the block or whatever it is the PSTV's system has in place to allow games that weren't compatible to play on the system now compatible. Nothing more, nothing less. :)

Edited by MrTacoNinja
  • Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 5:14 AM, MrTacoNinja said:

Ha! Mine's whitelisted as well and I also used it to play Shinobido 2. I platinumed the NA and EU stacks!  1f604.png The reason I whitelisted mine was so that I could play Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando for the Bunyan races. I'm a complete retard when it comes to computers so I had to have my girlfriend help me with all the technical parts of whitelisting it. 

I love Shinobido 2 and it runs great on the PSTV, I bought all 4 versions and the European one worked on a non whitelisted Vita TV. This game is special to me, bought it in Book Off Shinjuku for 500 yen in January 2020, little did I know of our fate on the Diamond Princess. Safe the say the Vita TV kept me sane while watching the amount of ambulance build up carrying off the infected.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12.12.2022 at 9:43 AM, da-Noob123 said:

@Z1MZUM @MrTacoNinja What exactly does "whitelisting" do and does it affect count as hacking trophies?

Whitelisting a PSTV is this: https://wololo.net/2015/09/26/pstv-whitelist-how-to-play-all-vita-games-on-your-ps-tv-with-simplified-steps-video/
Basically, you are using a non-harmful hack, like you use with the Account Switching on the regular VITA (Vita trick): https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/59929-how-to-get-other-region-vita-games-trophies-without-cfw/
Funny, that everything of this is only usable because it was found by people of the PSVita hacking community and accepted as being okay by the site rules, but never say a beep about yourself using a hacked console. Reason: Witch-hunt incoming.

+++++++++++++

I still got my own PSTV in the cupboard and I sometimes use it.
But the whitelisting shit is stupid. Like the PSVITA version of Ys - Memories of Celceta: Some Asian version got patched to be playable on PSTV, the EU version never received this patch.

Edited by Geridian
More Text
  • Like 1