Warning for those going for the Platinum

The7thINFANTRY

There are two "campaigns" in Cookstar- Traditional Recipes and Vegetarian Recipes. Only one is required for the platinum, not both. You can do either or. I did the Vegetarian one from the get go and found out the hard way that one of the last recipes that you unlock, the Infused Caviar Deviled Eggs, is impossible to 3-Star in Cookstar mode due to the cutting board mini-game. Simply put, that mini-game (the second one in the sequence) does not give you enough time to complete it. I've made dozens of attempts with some instances I've gotten VERY close but the timer always runs out on me resulting in a 2-Star rating which is enough to bar you from getting an overall 3-Star rating for that recipe. Getting 3-Star ratings for every recipe in Cookstar mode for one list is required for the platinum and from what I can tell the lists do not share progress i.e. if you complete recipes, unlock recipes, 3-Star Cookstar recipes in one list, that does NOT apply to the other.

Note that the "Traditional Recipes" version, the Chipotle Caviar Deviled Eggs, seems to give you the same amount of time to complete the mini-game, however there are fewer steps required to complete it.

Instead of a tomato which requires multiple stages of cutting, they give you a slice of meat that requires only one stage of cutting.

I have even deleted my install and re-installed the base 1.00 version of the game since I have a physical copy and there was no difference in the time given that I could tell.

I've looked up if others have done it and I've seen this video posted where they finished it in time yet they are playing the Switch version of the game and it seems that version gives the player more than enough time to complete the mini-game.

At this point, I've decided to start over again with the Traditional Recipes as it is the only way forward I can go to unlock the platinum trophy.

TL;DR Play Traditional Recipes and not the Vegetarian ones.

Edited by The7thINFANTRY
Grammar and spelling
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you @The7thINFANTRY for posting that. The Traditional version of Chipotle Caviar Deviled Eggs still have an extremely tight timer - what I would consider to be "pixel perfect". Unlike some tasks which give us plenty of time (completing in less than half or even quarter of the time given), this specific 'chopping' stage of this recipe is a nightmare. Maybe I'm just not skilled but personally, I had to retry about 7 or 8 times to get it right unlike other recipes which took no practice, if not, only 1 restart. I found this livestream VOD of this guy failing once but getting it the second time, and was impressed to see him get it that quickly. 

If there's one tip I can give, it's that you must leave a second or two of leeway AFTER slicing up prosciutto for the game to "recognize" that everything has been done. I've had multiple attempts where I did technically slice the prosciutto as required, but only got 2 stars simply because I didn't have that extra second to get the blue smiley face right after to indicate the game had recognized me as finishing the task successfully. Thankfully, it's only the second 'stage' within the recipe so a restart isn't so bad, but it's worth some practice before going in. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 1:20 PM, AngelicaK92 said:

Finally someone made a post about this! I literally tried both and still cannot get it. This game is broken. Sucks!

I see that you've unlocked the platinum for the game. Congrats! For me, it definitely got tedious having to play through the same mini-games over and over again.

40 minutes ago, Wydrazor said:

Thank you @The7thINFANTRY for posting that. The Traditional version of Chipotle Caviar Deviled Eggs still have an extremely tight timer - what I would consider to be "pixel perfect". Unlike some tasks which give us plenty of time (completing in less than half or even quarter of the time given), this specific 'chopping' stage of this recipe is a nightmare. Maybe I'm just not skilled but personally, I had to retry about 7 or 8 times to get it right unlike other recipes which took no practice, if not, only 1 restart. I found this livestream VOD of this guy failing once but getting it the second time, and was impressed to see him get it that quickly. 

If there's one tip I can give, it's that you must leave a second or two of leeway AFTER slicing up prosciutto for the game to "recognize" that everything has been done. I've had multiple attempts where I did technically slice the prosciutto as required, but only got 2 stars simply because I didn't have that extra second to get the blue smiley face right after to indicate the game had recognized me as finishing the task successfully. Thankfully, it's only the second 'stage' within the recipe so a restart isn't so bad, but it's worth some practice before going in. Hope this helps!

No problem! Having to go through it all over again was a pain but yes, even the Traditional version of the Deviled Eggs' timer runs tight.

Your tip for leaving extra time to allow the game to "recognize" that you have finished cutting the prosciutto is vital as well. It seems to be a problem throughout the game and how it handles inputs, most offending is the cutting board mini-game as the input cuts are never consistent- they always have a problem stopping and starting if the inputs are executed too fast. In my experience with the cutting board mini-games I had the most success trying to get into a rhythm of the cutting inputs as to not have abrupt pauses in the stage.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 0:05 AM, The7thINFANTRY said:

I see that you've unlocked the platinum for the game. Congrats! For me, it definitely got tedious having to play through the same mini-games over and over again.

No problem! Having to go through it all over again was a pain but yes, even the Traditional version of the Deviled Eggs' timer runs tight.

Your tip for leaving extra time to allow the game to "recognize" that you have finished cutting the prosciutto is vital as well. It seems to be a problem throughout the game and how it handles inputs, most offending is the cutting board mini-game as the input cuts are never consistent- they always have a problem stopping and starting if the inputs are executed too fast. In my experience with the cutting board mini-games I had the most success trying to get into a rhythm of the cutting inputs as to not have abrupt pauses in the stage.

Unlike some of the other threads on this game calling out how bad it is, I actually had a good time with it. I've been into Cooking Mama since the OG Nintendo DS days so I was very happy to see this game even existed. But in saying that, this game is far from perfect.

Like you said, the inconsistencies from just cutting board minigame makes it one of the worst parts of the game. I realized after several 2-stars that yes, you do need to keep up a fast rhythm instead of just spamming "down" with the left stick. Another one of the inconsistencies also extend to the egg cracking game where I felt that sometimes it would crack the egg enough on first try and sometimes it would require tapping the egg twice to crack open. It also didn't help that on Cookstar mode, the "cracking 3 eggs" minigame required perfect precision with 1 of the eggs that had to be cracked on first try otherwise the tight timer would fail you from getting 3 stars altogether.

I'd say overall, except the extremely tight timer on the Deviled Eggs, it's not bad and the Platinum easily justifies its 20+% rarity. It's a shame that such a fun and unique IP had to be ruined with a copyright dispute, and the game essentially being guaranteed from receiving no further updates to fix any of the issues. Regardless, despite being delisted/banned for sale in North America, if you are able to find one through a 3rd party or resale for cheap, imho - this is worth the money/platinum.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/21/2023 at 11:05 PM, The7thINFANTRY said:

Yeah I finally got it! I was determined to get it. The Vegetarian one is definitely broken. Had to do the traditional recipe one. Still gave me a headache. :)