What makes you prefer console over PC?

PhaseRebirth

Well, I love PlayStation's trophy system, but putting trophies/achievements or any kind of reputation system aside, I would say it's a matter of ease, convenience.  Plus I am not that tech-savvy.  There is also the matter of cost.  I know of people who prefer to game on pc and almost all of them speak of spending well over a thousand dollars and in some cases thousands of dollars on their pc rig/set-up what-have-you.  I don"t have that kind of money.  I'm sure if you have the money to spend then sure, pc is the way to go.  I'm happy with my PlayStations (PS3, PS Vita, PS4).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

It usually comes down to what you played first as a kid. I played consoles first, so I prefer them, but, pc gaming is fine too. They both have their pros and cons

I think it's precisely this! I've grown up with consoles since the SNES days back in the early 90's and I've never not had at least one console since then. I built my first gaming pc at the end of '19 before the pandemic hit and inflated the price of everything and I gotta say if I wasn't already heavily invested in console gaming I would've straight up abandoned consoles all together and just gone straight pc mode, but I always end up getting that itch to trophy hunt after some time away from my Playstations. I do love me some steam though, just being able to mod games and play them how you want is insane to me and that's not to mention the sheer number of games on steam and the sales! Both are awesome in their own way but the convenience (plug and play) of consoles and the nostalgia behind them for me is why I'll always prefer them over the pc. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NickWart said:

The subscription easily pays for itself with the free games you get each month, discounts on games and many, many other free (AAA) titles. 

When do people understand that there never have been "free" games on PS Plus? Do you think you're paying 60 bucks for online gaming alone? I would let that count if I could actually pick which games are included. But no, I can't. How many times have people been complaining about the poor selection of games on PS Plus? How many hundreds of pages worth of comments on this site alone?

3 hours ago, PaintP said:

Sofa > Chair

Also bigger TV

What kind of nonsense is that? You can connect your PC to any screen via HDMI. Nothing prevents you from doing this.

13 hours ago, Katt said:

Trophies. I'm stuck here forever. I don't enjoy getting achievements on PC where you can just download a tool to insta-unlock whatever you want and get away with it.

And the tons of cheat tools specifically made for PS3 and PS4 do not count, right?

Just as a little reminder:

cheaterstwinv.png

12 hours ago, ChiefMichigan said:

1. Exclusive titles/content: Nintendo doesn't put their games on PC.

That's what emulators are for. On console, only Xbox offers this option via dev mode.
https://learn.microsoft.com/windows/uwp/xbox-apps/devkit-activation

PlayStation: nothing.

Edited by El Duderino
  • Like 1

Because I am ancient and Consoles where in peoples homes where as PC was a dream at that time, I'm talking Atari 2600 to NES era.

Conclusion is I like both but prefer console as an every day machine, don't care about graphics but do are about quality games and socializing. All of my online friends are from playing COD since 2007 from 360 to ps5. I think the online community with consoles craps all over PC. Many PC gamers seem to have a strange complex,,,,,,,,,,,, what they don't realize is that many console gamers also have a gaming PC.

• Like 1

I have a gaming PC but for me it boils down to preferring trophies and Xbox achievements over Steam/GOG/EPIC achievements. I do play on PC Game Pass when possible to get the best of both worlds. Also, sites like this one and TrueAchievements contribute to my preference.

I like how Steam profiles have evolved but one key element is missing from their achievement system...a sound when unlocking one that doesn't require a mod. That may sound silly but I like to know when I have earned an achievement and I have missed many a silent notification on Steam. 

Edited by Killbomb

Used to play a bunch on PC, but simply got tired of the faff required to actually get the promised experience comparable or better than console.

I don't want to play some rickety version of a game, just because it may (or may not) have some fancier lighting effects or a higher fidelity reflection in a puddle... providing I'm willing to sit and fiddle with a bunch of settings to figure out which parts of a game I need to turn off and on to get it to run right. 

Consoles allow me to know I'm getting the same experience everyone else is - and the experience that the developer was intending.

Console versions are what the developers are targeting primarily. Those are the important versions - the ones that sell. PC versions - even if they can be made to look or feel better - don't do so uniformly, and are impossible for devs to optimise, since the specs of the PC playing it are not uniform. 

If something is broken on console, I can be sure that that will be the first priority for the developer to address.

If I have an issue with a driver, or a specific graphics card or any of the multiple points of failure a PC build can have with a game, it's a "tech specs lottery" as to when (or whether) the dev will bother to fix it... or if I need to be souring random internet sites trying to "bug fix" the issue myself. 

Also, I like playing in my living room, on a big screen, sitting on a couch.

I'm not willing to have cables trailing through my house to achieve that - and I'm not interesting in "streaming" solutions from my study to my living space.

I don't even wan't to stream games for free through services like PS+ Premium - I'm sure as hell not going to set up the games I own to be played the same way ?

Plus, of course:

• PS Plus free games
  • Haptic controller
  • Lower cost of hardware
  • PSN Friends list
  • delineation between "work time" and "play time"
  • exclusive games released during the zeitgeist
  • not being part of a community that - despite claiming "superiority"... seems to always have an inferiority complex, an axe to grind, and a chip on its shoulder.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

Actually just 2 simple reasons:

1.- Games: I love Metroid and Fire Emblem, I have a Switch. I love Spiderman, Uncharted and I don't want to wait 3 years to play them, I have a PS.

2.- No need to worry about compatibility: If the game is released for the console it WILL work on the console, obviously there are cases where the game has technical issues thanks to bad optimization but they are the less.

As a developer I have enough dealing with computers at my work. I don't want to deal with why this or that error shows when I try to play a game. I love playing DOTA on my pc but that's enough for me when it comes to pc gaming. 

4 hours ago, El Duderino said:

What kind of nonsense is that? You can connect your PC to any screen via HDMI. Nothing prevents you from doing this.

Wow I never knew I can connect my PC to any screen via HDMI. And nothing prevents me from doing this.my-goodness-what-an-idea.gif

• Like 3

9 hours ago, El Duderino said:

In theory.

In practice, my laptop (and subsequently the games) get very confused between it's internal audio devices and the TV speakers that requires me to set which speaker to output to manually each time I start the game, and sometimes even that didn't work.  On my desktop PC back in the day, Dying Light for me was virtually unplayable on anything besides a gaming monitor due to horrendous screen tearing as a result of my televisions refresh rate and unstable FPS (couldn't keep a steady 60fps so every time it dipped below it jumped between 30fps and 60fps with Vsync turned on)... console Dying Light never had this problem.  This became a more and more frequent issue with games as my desktop got older and not all games are able to run capped at 30fps (ie. Ori and the Blind Forest) which was ultimately the solution I landed on, which at the time required third party tools and was also pretty unreliable.

Then there's the inconvenience of keeping keyboards, mice and gamepads around your preferred sitting location to get into the games themselves, and the variety of games that don't support one or the other.  Keyboards and mice are pretty uncomfortable to use on your lap in a recliner or on a sofa.

The problem with the PC gaming community is that they either don't really delve outside of the desk/keyboard/mouse/gamepad dynamic far enough and assume it's not as bad as it sounds... or for some reason think having to extensively research the technical workings of their hardware and the games to get things only kinda sorta working reliably just for the privilege of a less comfortable setup isn't a terrible inconvenience.

EDIT: And in all honesty, this is just scratching the surface of what I can remember of my ongoing experiments of trying to get my gaming computers over the years working like consoles.  Some games worked fine, most of them were an absolute mess without me spending a day or two figuring out why and coming up with some duct tape solution requiring third party tools and a dozen steps every time I booted the games up.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I'll start by saying I have both a PC & my PS5, so I use both quite frequently & play different types of games on each.

I mainly use my PS5 as I'm mostly a singleplayer gamer who also enjoys trophies/platinums. Pair that with the fact Sony has a lot of singleplayer exclusives, it's just a no brainer that I'd player on there more. I do use my PC a lot, mostly for multiplayer games or games that I can't get on my PS5, such as Microsoft exclusives or just any random PC exclusive. Achievements on Steam are for lack of a better term, garbage, & for someone who enjoys to hunt for trophies/achievements, it's a massive turn off. Since the bundle DLC achievements in the with base game achievements without separation or even stating if it's DLC or not is annoying. & that's not even talking about how bad the shovelware situation is on Steam with games popping 2000+ achievements the moment you boot up the game, & then on the completely other side of the spectrum, the plethora of games that don't even bother to fix their achievements when they're glitched/bugged because achievements are pretty much an after thought.

To summarize, the PS5 just fits with what I personally enjoying doing the most, so I prefer to use that over my PC most of the time.

• PC gaming is expensive it's almost a luxury at this point to own even a good one.
  • Some older games can't be played on a PC for example you can't play the Steam version of Fallout 3 you basically have to go into the files and try to work your way around it just for it to bloody launch.
  • When a game crashes on console I know that 9 times out of 10 that the game caused the crash and not my console, when a game crashes on my PC I don't know if it's the games fault or my computers.
  • More hackers on PC then consoles.
  • Some online games require you to own another account of a publisher, like EA Origin, Ubisoft, and Rockstar just to play their games I would rather have all my games under one roof then create multiple accounts on a different launcher just to play the game it's tedious.
  • Mouse and keyboards hurt my hands so I prefer a controller.        

For me it's the setting up, I do have a gaming PC which I love to bits, and that's where I play Final Fantasy XIV.

But with Console it's just easier to install, I just have to plug in some cables and it goes on, when building a PC there are so many steps and so many things to pay attention to, it's a bit of a headache for me.

When I was a kid, I played on both, but console games were easier to handle (just put your cartridge in and turn it on) and proposed better gameplay.

But keep in mind those computers were Amstrad, Atari and Amiga. There were great games on them, but also many many many trash almost never tested by developpers (so often unplayable or not fun at all).

So I naturally stood with consoles after that.

Owned a console first, so it stuck with me. Other than that, I like the simplicity - I hate to fine tune my game and check if the latest driver update broke it, while on consoles, I can just choose between favor resolution or performance, and maybe download an update once a week.

Other positives are: I like a big ol' TV and my couch, I already work staring at a PC 9hrs a day. Trophy system is cool too.

I don't have a super powerful PC, but there's some games I love there too. Age of Empires, Doom, Tibia..plus, I consider my notebook my "handheld" console during long trips.

When I was a kid I was a heavy PC gamer. Played tons of things on emulators, lots of games that you had to pay to have full acess that I have no idea from where came from, and also many, many hours of Warcraft III. Things changed after I got my PS2. I had the PS1, but did not like it much, the Playstation 2 changed everything. The games were so much better. But I still played a lot on PC, but MMOs like Conquer, Ragnarok and WoW. After years I played everything that I wished for on the PS2, so I stuck as a PC only gamer again for a few years, but the games did not feel the same. I even thought that I just did not enjoy gaming anymore.

The thing is, to me the "right" way to play certain games is on console, and not on PC. I had the experience to play the same game on PC and on console, and I enjoyed it much more on the later, while I enjoyed less or even hated on the former. It's just a feeling, it's hard to explain. I never had the best possible machine, but my PCs were always good enough, so it is not about performance or anything. There is something different about turning on the console, picking up the controller, getting comfortable on the sofa / chair and just play the day away. Nowadays gaming on PC to me is only about online.

Also helps the fact that you dont need to worry if your hardware is up to date, if it will run smooth, if the game will crash and you will lose your save, or if the game will simply stop working someday for unknown reasons. 

12 hours ago, El Duderino said:

And the tons of cheat tools specifically made for PS3 and PS4 do not count, right?

Just as a little reminder:

Dude chill, I don't care. If you want to fight, maybe someone else in your post will click the bait.

• Like 1