Why are trophies so crap?

poker_1987

I'm fine with all the trophy types on that list, it's online only ones that need to go away IMO, especially when they're attached to features that have no business being online only in the first place. Also, I'm fine with collectibles, provided there's a way to track them and that there aren't too many per-level.

Edited by HuntingFever
Fixed typo.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiefMichigan said:

Collectables really don't need to go. They make plenty of sense because collectables are a key part of gaming.

If they're done right. 95% of the time it's collecting stuff just for the sake of collecting stuff. It makes zero sense, serves only the purpose of artificially making the game feel  longer, it's annoying and it's one of those things about trophies that make trophy hunting a chore at times. 

Hey, I discussed I think. 

• Like 1

All those trophy types are fine, the only trophies that should go are unobtainable trophies tied to dead servers or just flat out glitched trophies that won't pop, and in the case of the first one they should be made to be able by doing something else that's possible in the main game, kinda like how mass effect andromeda did it where you can beat the game on insanity or do 5 multiplayer maps on gold. In the case of the latter they should just make sure every trophy is achievable before launch. Also a bit controversial but imo every game should have a trophy relating to 100% completion. 

36 minutes ago, the1andonly654 said:

If they're done right. 95% of the time it's collecting stuff just for the sake of collecting stuff. It makes zero sense, serves only the purpose of artificially making the game feel  longer, it's annoying and it's one of those things about trophies that make trophy hunting a chore at times.

I don’t usually mind collectibles, but I do agree with this. For me, collectibles “done right” are collectibles that add something to the game such as backstory, lore, clues, or atmosphere, and aren’t too excessive or obscured to the point you waste tons of time looking for them.

At the very least you should be able to find them all yourself by exploring a bit, either because they are generally found along the beaten path or because the game gives you the tools you need to locate them yourself. To me there’s nothing more obnoxious than having to follow along a collectible guide very closely as you play through a game because they are so difficult to find, or because the game doesn’t have chapter select which renders them missable. It also really helps to have some sort of in game tracking system if you’re going to put collectibles in your games, so players have a reference point and can quickly figure out what they’re missing.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, the1andonly654 said:

Hey, I discussed I think. 

Yeah I just got all the collectables on tomb raider just so the devs can see I did it and add even more in the next one

1 hour ago, poker_1987 said:

Story based ones need to go. 

Difficulty ones are ok

Grundy ones are ok

Collectables need to go.

Discuss

Story and collectible trophies are actually my favourite trophies… Difficulty/grind trophies I could live without but they’re fine.

Personally, my only ”hate” is online stuff e.g. I’m a fighting game nut but I’ll never touch acclaimed games like Dragonball FighterZ, KOF XV or Persona 4 Arena as they’re all primarily online lists. Another example is Ghost of Tsushima, that coop DLC makes the game a “no-go” for me despite it otherwise catering to my tastes 100%. I also LOVED the Demon’s Souls Remake (it’s probably one of my 10 favourite games of all-time) but the invasion/PVP part of the general gameplay puts me off ever trying Bloodborne, Elden Ring or any other FromSoft game… I just don’t need that sort of trolling in my life.

• Like 1

Like a number of other posters in this topic, I despise online-only trophies.  Not just because of their "limited time before we shut down the servers" nature, not just because I refuse to pay for PS+ and therefore online-only becomes more difficult for me, but because I greatly prefer my game-playing experience to be a solo thing.  And my disdain for these sorts of trophies is enough that I've chosen not to purchase certain games I might otherwise have played (and played a lot!) because I know myself well enough to know that said trophies would bug me until I changed my behavior to obtain them and make myself miserable in that way instead.

I'm not a big fan of difficulty trophies, but I can (usually) live with them.  I vastly prefer them in "turn based" sorts of games -- I'm largely an RPGer -- because then (to me) they seem like a question of expertise and strategy as opposed to "how good are your twitch reflexes" and the like.  (And my "twitch reflexes" aren't very good with my advancing age.)

I'm also not a big fan of grindy trophies, but usually that's the case when they're excessive to the point of absurdity.  The ones that don't just extend the playtime to get platinum, but pad it to the extent that knocking a few trophies out might take longer than everything else the game requires.  Combined.

Heh, I doubt this is a serious thread, but I'll give my two cents.

1) Why tho? Aren't these the least obtrusive form of trophies, earned by simply playing the game normally? Never once have these irritated me.

2) I guess. Personally, I prefer when I can play on any difficulty I so choose to earn platinum, but I'm not necessarily averse to them, either.

3) Hard disagree; grinding is almost never enjoyable in the slightest. Gotta be among my most hated type of trophy. Also: https://youtu.be/eGQEAiZJMco?t=64

4) Hard agree! After 35-ish years of gaming, I'm just sick and tired of them. Actually didn't mind how games like Control only make you collect a portion of them, though.

I'd have to say my least favorite trophies are multiplayer, grinds, collectables, and "kill yourself this many times," not necessarily in that order. Also fed up with developers who make you defeat their shitty RNG bosses damageless.

• Like 1

I don't mind difficulty related trophies if the hard mode is done right. It doesn't simply have to cheap hard modes like Uncharted or Nier: Automata. Usually I prefer hard modes for NG+ where you are given all the tools needed to perfect your gameplay and the difficulty is balanced and challenging. FF7R has a great hard mode and makes the gameplay and combat so much more fun. Batman Arkham Knight is another one (although not so much the batmobile sections). These trophies are great imo!

Grindy trophies are always shit. Grinding with RNG involved is horseshit.

Collectables just for the sake of having them is also not great. I like when there is lore/story added to them and you can actually sell them to get something of value.