DMC5 - Supplementary Guide

LancashireLad87

Good guide! I had no idea about these bonus objectives so good on you to gather 'em in one place.

All tho I would add to the super costumes part that they will give you a massive points penalty meaning you almost always cannot S rank the levels, and that the costumes can be unlocked without spending real money by beating the game on DMD difficulty as they are very useful for the bloody palace trophies. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

Have you considered posting this on the main site and getting it approved by the Guide Team :)?

A while ago I created a guide for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Prologue since its a short 100% however when I submitted it to the guide team it had literally a page of corrections which put me off writing official guides. I always write in first-person which is prohibited by the guide team you have to write in Third-Person which I refuse to do. 

18 hours ago, cm-PUNK2000 said:

Good guide! I had no idea about these bonus objectives so good on you to gather 'em in one place.

All tho I would add to the super costumes part that they will give you a massive points penalty meaning you almost always cannot S rank the levels, and that the costumes can be unlocked without spending real money by beating the game on DMD difficulty as they are very useful for the bloody palace trophies. 

20 hours ago, LancashireLad87 said:

Consequently if you use a super costume your score will be reduced by 80% which means you’ll be unable to obtain an S rank on any mission!

20 hours ago, LancashireLad87 said:

Subsequent Playthroughs

Before plunging into the harder difficulties it would be prudent to spend time grinding for Red orbs so you can purchase more skills with each character to support you on your journey. Within the Devil May Cry community there’s actually a rank above S, known as “Perfect S” this means you completed the mission with all the requirements of an S Rank and you didn’t take damage!

On the higher difficulties, the information described within the guide is still applicable; the difference is enemies will have access to new moves and will have combo extensions to their existing strings. Furthermore, completing specific difficulty levels rewards you with the ability to play Dante without a single weapon equipped once you clear Son of Sparda, whilst you're rewarded for clearing the hardest difficulty, Dante Must Die offers you the coveted “Super Costumes”!

Appreciate the support! I have a bunch of supplements left incomplete. I hope to add the following guides in the future; Bloody Palace, Complete Bestiary, V Character Guide and Dante Character Guide. I believe if I can complete the remaining research and put the time and effort in to complete the rest of my project I don't think you'll find a better written guide with the amount of detail I put in ^^

Edited by LancashireLad87
  • Like 2

Haven't managed to reply to these threads but...nothing else to add, wonderful job :D you really wrote everything in-depth there!

4 minutes ago, LancashireLad87 said:

A while ago I created a guide for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Prologue since its a short 100% however when I submitted it to the guide team it had literally a page of corrections which put me off writing official guides. I always write in first-person which is prohibited by the guide team you have to write in Third-Person which I refuse to do. 

Appreciate the support! I have a bunch of supplements left incomplete. I hope to add the following guides in the future; Bloody Palace, Complete Bestiary, V Character Guide and Dante Character Guide.

Heheh, THAT will be the true challenge of your project :> writing a guide for Swor-Trick-Swo-Gun-ROYALGUARD will be crazy xD  

BEST OF LUCK!

• 1 month later...
On 13/12/2022 at 11:10 AM, LancashireLad87 said:

@Copanele @DeepEyes7 @Gommes_ @FreshFromThaDeli @Jasmin-Harun @Yuber6969 @KindaSabbath @Rebourne07 @DrBloodmoney @zizimonster

Trophy Proficiency Vs Pro Level

If you’ve earned all the achievements within a game like Devil May Cry 5, I would say you're “Competent” at best because you would have utilised every glitch/exploit in the book, and would therefore not have the physical dexterity/knowledge of advanced play.

i stopped reading after this rather condescending statement in trying to undermine people's accomplishments in platinum this game. 'its easy' he's basically saying. well, in the real world, majority do not find it easy. get off your high horse. i know you're trying to help your audience but saying stuff like this makes you come across as a d-bag, in truth.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rockstarjazz said:

i stopped reading after this rather condescending statement in trying to undermine people's accomplishments in platinum this game. 'its easy' he's basically saying. well, in the real world, majority do not find it easy. get off your high horse. i know you're trying to help your audience but saying stuff like this makes you come across as a d-bag, in truth.

If only you'd put the same effort in the actual game as you put in ranting and getting angry (and smashing stuff...)

No, what he is saying is getting the platinum does not mean you become a grandmaster at the game. That's all there is to it.

It's sad that you stopped at that part, because the actual good stuff/advice that might help is after that.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

You can be offended if you want, but Lancashire undermined nothing. "Platinum" proficiency in the overwhelming majority of games -- including DMC5 -- barely scratch the surface of what can be done in terms of skill.

Most rhythm games have an entire list of songs for you to full combo long after the plat

Most fighting games have additional combo trials, or thousands of elite players to sharpen your skills with

Most platformers can be speedrun to squeeze out every last millisecond of improvement

The Platinum is only the beginning.

It's still unnecessary and needlessly antagonistic though

11 hours ago, rockstarjazz said:

@rockstarjazz Please can you highlight any text where I say the platinum journey is easy. I have never said the platinum was easy. There's no comparison between a professional player and a trophy hunter. I'll give you a prime example Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled on the PlayStation 4 99.99% of all trophy hunters will only beat Nitrous Oxide because your not required to go any further to push yourself. Myself and a few others on PSNP have defeated the developer times which far exceeds Oxide.

If you put me in my prime against top players I'll be lucky to win a single race. If you cannot see the difference than how is anyone supposed to take you seriously. Throwing insults around isn't helping your case either. I primarily write guides for my personal use, if people want to use my advice and it helps them on their journey then great, if they don't want to use it that's fine as well. 

• Like 4

If anyone here has watched combos and gameplay of really good players on YT, you'll see how far they are above the level required to get the platinum. That is what mastery of the game looks like. This guide is right by saying you're merely competant at the game by getting the platinum. There's hundreds of hours of improvement to go.

@LancashireLad87 Great guide btw. You could add this red orb farm that's far better than the one in Mission 13. It needs the PS5 special edition and Legendary Dark Knight mode though. Load up mission 12 in LDK, use DT and Red Hot Night, kill the group of enemies and reload checkpoint. You can get millions of orbs in a few minutes this way.

• Like 2

So to sort of play devil's advocate as most people have pointed out how what was written is likely to be interpreted but I do think that the poster has a bit of a point as I had to do a double take myself. 

I’m aware that the poster has made some very emotional and questionable posts in another thread so it's easy to dismiss anything they say but while I don't think they have expressed it well I do think that the underlying point is somewhat valid. 

There are two parts which I think are a little condescending and could be interpreted as you existentially saying the game is ‘easy’. Maybe easy isn't the word but could come across as 'elitist'( this word is used far to regularly these days but its gets my point across)

Firstly-

As one of the most experienced players within the Hack and Slash genre,

While this may very well be true you just assert it without any reasoning/evidence and can very easily be seen as you tooting your own horn. You said that you write the guides mainly for your own use so i’m not saying it's intentional and could just be a writing quirk but considering you have posted it to a public forum then others might rightly consider it different to the way it's intended. I would suggest writing something like:

Having platinumed and in some cases tried to hone my skills at some of what are considered quite difficult hack and slack games. I consider myself to be very experienced with them and qualified to answer the question. 

The platinumed bit can be easily checked and over all its just a little bit more humble even if certain bits have to be taken at face value. 

Secondly-

If you’ve earned all the achievements within a game like Devil May Cry 5, I would say you're “Competent” at best because you would have utilised every glitch/exploit in the book, and would therefore not have the physical dexterity/knowledge of advanced play.

The part I take issue with is the bolded bit. ‘You would have’ is very absolute language and it is basically reading as you saying that the only reason why people have platted this game is because they had to resort to glitches/exploits. Now why I'm sure many have done this it’s very condescending to word it like this and assume this is always the case. Again I doubt this was intentional but it reads like that to me at least. As a suggestion maybe something like this:

I would say that you really only have to be ‘competent’ with the game to platinum it as you don’t need the advanced play/dexterity of ‘pro’ players as well as their being glitches/exploits which can be used.

I tried to avoid making a clarification on the difficulty to at least try to replicate your original writing. Not saying it perfect as I still think it could be interpreted wrong but I feel its a little clearer at getting the point across. 

As this is the internet and it’s not always easy to judge how things come across, I'll clarify and say this is purely meant as constructive criticism. Although I'm not sure I have any credentials to give it as I suck at writing for the most part myself but it means I try to take care that things read as i intend them which I think is the main issue here. Feel free to completely ignore, heed, get mad, be apathic or whatever to what I've said here. I probably given it way more thought then it needed. 

At the very least I think it fair to say that the section could have been worded better. Also the rest of the guide seems extremely good although I will admit to not reading everything fully. 

20 hours ago, BlueDragonZero said:

So to sort of play devil's advocate as most people have pointed out how what was written is likely to be interpreted but I do think that the poster has a bit of a point as I had to do a double take myself. 

I’m aware that the poster has made some very emotional and questionable posts in another thread so it's easy to dismiss anything they say but while I don't think they have expressed it well I do think that the underlying point is somewhat valid. 

There are two parts which I think are a little condescending and could be interpreted as you existentially saying the game is ‘easy’. Maybe easy isn't the word but could come across as 'elitist'( this word is used far to regularly these days but its gets my point across)

Firstly-

While this may very well be true you just assert it without any reasoning/evidence and can very easily be seen as you tooting your own horn. You said that you write the guides mainly for your own use so i’m not saying it's intentional and could just be a writing quirk but considering you have posted it to a public forum then others might rightly consider it different to the way it's intended. I would suggest writing something like:

Having platinumed and in some cases tried to hone my skills at some of what are considered quite difficult hack and slack games. I consider myself to be very experienced with them and qualified to answer the question. 

The platinumed bit can be easily checked and over all its just a little bit more humble even if certain bits have to be taken at face value. 

Secondly-

The part I take issue with is the bolded bit. ‘You would have’ is very absolute language and it is basically reading as you saying that the only reason why people have platted this game is because they had to resort to glitches/exploits. Now why I'm sure many have done this it’s very condescending to word it like this and assume this is always the case. Again I doubt this was intentional but it reads like that to me at least. As a suggestion maybe something like this:

I would say that you really only have to be ‘competent’ with the game to platinum it as you don’t need the advanced play/dexterity of ‘pro’ players as well as their being glitches/exploits which can be used.

I tried to avoid making a clarification on the difficulty to at least try to replicate your original writing. Not saying it perfect as I still think it could be interpreted wrong but I feel its a little clearer at getting the point across. 

As this is the internet and it’s not always easy to judge how things come across, I'll clarify and say this is purely meant as constructive criticism. Although I'm not sure I have any credentials to give it as I suck at writing for the most part myself but it means I try to take care that things read as i intend them which I think is the main issue here. Feel free to completely ignore, heed, get mad, be apathic or whatever to what I've said here. I probably given it way more thought then it needed. 

At the very least I think it fair to say that the section could have been worded better. Also the rest of the guide seems extremely good although I will admit to not reading everything fully. 

To address some of the points raised within this post, first and foremost I wouldn't consider myself or my posts in any shape of form as "elitist" if I were such a thing I would have told this guy to get good instead I took a considerable amount of time and effort to re-read, copy, paste and re-format to post these guides over to PSNP so others could use the information to help them on their platinum journey. You have to take into consideration I'm by no means a professional writer, I'm just a gamer nothing more and nothing less.

The section highlighted in blue confuses me, I wasn't under the impression that I had to provide tangible evidence of my hack and slash experience in order for people to take what I wrote seriously. If I were to list my personal accomplishments within this genre that far exceeds trophies wouldn't that mean I'm as you so poignantly put it "tooting my own horn"? I'm more than happy to list my highlights within this genre if you wish so people aren't taking things off face value but I feel that would make me an egotist.

The section highlighted in orange, I must have re-read my guides at least a dozen times before submitting them to the site. The hardest part for me is to convey written text in a way that people who are unfamiliar with the game understand what's written. If the information is misconstrued then there's not a whole lot I can do really, no matter how I reword something there's always going to be someone who takes offense to it which is probably the main reason why I keep my guides to myself.

The section highlighted in yellow, I haven't come across a single trophy hunter that hasn't used some form of cheese to get the platinum trophy, yes there may be some who didn't but these will be very few and far between therefore 99.99% of players would have cheesed the platinum trophy hence my generalisation. The section highlighted in green, seems very semantic for me. PSNProfiles is a trophy orientated website given the choice between completing something the hard way or the easy way to achieve the same goal, the vast majority of trophy hunters will opt for the easy route thus reiterating my original statement. 

• Like 1

My apologies if it came across as me attacking you as that was not my intent. The fact is i think that the section in question reads in a way that can be interpreted differently to the way you meant it to. All i was trying to do was offer an alternative to try an mitigate that.

2 hours ago, LancashireLad87 said:

To address some of the points raised within this post, first and foremost I wouldn't consider myself or my posts in any shape of form as "elitist" if I were such a thing I would have told this guy to get good instead I took a considerable amount of time and effort to re-read, copy, paste and re-format to post these guides over to PSNP so others could use the information to help them on their platinum journey. You have to take into consideration I'm by no means a professional writer, I'm just a gamer nothing more and nothing less.

For clarification I don't think you are elitist or that you meant it to sound like you are. I said it in my post that I don't think was intentional. The point was it could be interpreted that way. If anything, you seeing it like that, is an example of my overarching point of the way things are written can be interpreted differently to the way it was meant and maybe i didn't make that clear enough so that is on me. 

2 hours ago, LancashireLad87 said:

The section highlighted in blue confuses me, I wasn't under the impression that I had to provide tangible evidence of my hack and slash experience in order for people to take what I wrote seriously. If I were to list my personal accomplishments within this genre that far exceeds trophies wouldn't that mean I'm as you so poignantly put it "tooting my own horn"? I'm more than happy to list my highlights within this genre if you wish so people aren't taking things off face value but I feel that would make me an egotist.

Not everyone reading your guide will be familiar with who you are or have any idea of what you have achieved. It isn't unreasonable to think that someone reading it might be sceptical of something if it is just plainly asserted. By mentioning something that can be easily checked will only add to the validity of the claim. That was my point.

On the "tooting your own horn" i think you make a valid point and thinking back on it i agree it wasn't a good point. Again that's on me. My bad. 

3 hours ago, LancashireLad87 said:

The section highlighted in orange, I must have re-read my guides at least a dozen times before submitting them to the site. The hardest part for me is to convey written text in a way that people who are unfamiliar with the game understand what's written. If the information is misconstrued then there's not a whole lot I can do really, no matter how I reword something there's always going to be someone who takes offense to it which is probably the main reason why I keep my guides to myself.

Everything you say here is perfectly fair. My objections were specifically targeted at the one section and wasn't meant to be indictive of the whole guide. Again that's on me for maybe not making that clear. from this you seem to be aware somewhat of the point I was trying to make. Also I'm not suggesting that you can please everyone as there will always be people that will choose to take it however they please. I'm simply saying that I think it's best to try and make it as clear as possible. Something which I struggle with and seem to have failed at in this case. 

3 hours ago, LancashireLad87 said:

The section highlighted in yellow, I haven't come across a single trophy hunter that hasn't used some form of cheese to get the platinum trophy, yes there may be some who didn't but these will be very few and far between therefore 99.99% of players would have cheesed the platinum trophy hence my generalisation. The section highlighted in green, seems very semantic for me. PSNProfiles is a trophy orientated website given the choice between completing something the hard way or the easy way to achieve the same goal, the vast majority of trophy hunters will opt for the easy route thus reiterating my original statement. 

I Agree that a lot of people will have used the glitches/exploited to get the platinum. I take issue with making sure generalisations though. This happens far to often nowadays and it often leads to poor conclusions and problems down the line. it may well be innocent in the context of your guide/topic but if one is willing to accept it here then there is every chance that that way of thinking sinks in to other maybe more meaningful aspects.

The green section was just an suggestion to the way it could have been written to avoid the generalisation using pretty much the same words. Again most people probably will take the easy route but not all. Maybe this is a just a me thing but it annoys me to a great deal. Again sorry if i offended you.

I'm sure I probably missed something or didn't make point clearly here either. I wasn't trying to discredit or demean what you have done. I saw something that I believe was a problem and chose to comment on it and offer advice. I'm not saying it is prefect advice just maybe something to consider. 

1 hour ago, BlueDragonZero said:

Not everyone reading your guide will be familiar with who you are or have any idea of what you have achieved. It isn't unreasonable to think that someone reading it might be sceptical of something if it is just plainly asserted. By mentioning something that can be easily checked will only add to the validity of the claim. That was my point.

I'm not offended, I'm merely stating my point of view. Whether people know me or my accomplishments I think is a non-issue, I was hoping that anyone who reads my guides, posts and status updates knows that its coming from someone speaking from experience who has put enough time into the game practicing and testing things out. When it comes to my DMC5 guides, particularly Nero and Vergil I thought the context and the knowledge within those guides would demonstrate that I'm not an average player. I think a lot of people wouldn't know how to play those characters more proficiently since Nero's an honest character and knowing how to perform more complicated levels of play can help you tackle the higher difficulties since your damage output is significantly increased. 

1 hour ago, BlueDragonZero said:

I'm simply saying that I think it's best to try and make it as clear as possible.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, I thought I was pretty clear. Trophies have become the new metric on player proficiency, I was merely debunking that philosophy, not that I'm against trophies I enjoy hunting them as much as the next person. My old school mentality is my downfall. The issue is the general perception is if you have the platinum trophy in a game it automatically makes you a pro at it. I've done a few hard games and I don't want people to think you have to be a god at the game to earn the platinum trophy, I've been a gamer since the early 90s and I've only ever reached pro level in a handful of games. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LancashireLad87 said:

I'm not offended, I'm merely stating my point of view. Whether people know me or my accomplishments I think is a non-issue, I was hoping that anyone who reads my guides, posts and status updates knows that its coming from someone speaking from experience who has put enough time into the game practicing and testing things out. When it comes to my DMC5 guides, particularly Nero and Vergil I thought the context and the knowledge within those guides would demonstrate that I'm not an average player. I think a lot of people wouldn't know how to play those characters more proficiently since Nero's an honest character and knowing how to perform more complicated levels of play can help you tackle the higher difficulties since your damage output is significantly increased. 

Good. TBH I would completely understand if you were. You’re clearly proud of the guide for good reason so it’s not lost on me that some random turning up and criticising a somewhat irrelevant paragraph to the main aim of the guide could elicit a response. 

That's all very sound and reasonable but people might not necessarily have looked at them. I didn’t take them into account and that's my fault. Actually it made me consider what I think is a good solution so If you're still willing to hear me out. That section would be a great point to mention the other guides and link to them again. It would have provided strong validity to the claim as well as add context to your conclusion at a reasonable point which people might be more inclined to click on. At the very least is that not fair?

15 hours ago, LancashireLad87 said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, I thought I was pretty clear. Trophies have become the new metric on player proficiency, I was merely debunking that philosophy, not that I'm against trophies I enjoy hunting them as much as the next person. My old school mentality is my downfall. The issue is the general perception is if you have the platinum trophy in a game it automatically makes you a pro at it. I've done a few hard games and I don't want people to think you have to be a god at the game to earn the platinum trophy, I've been a gamer since the early 90s and I've only ever reached pro level in a handful of games. 

When it comes to trophies/achievements being the metric on player proficiency you’re not wrong per say. Considering the main genres of games you play I can definitely understand the conclusion as those are highly regarded within those circles. At least with the fighting game’s you could point people to the completive players as an easy rebuttal. With hack and slash though, trophies/achievements are an easily accessible and one of the few metric's for people to gauge one's ability and are probably unlikely to have delved into the depths of YouTube to find the actually skilled players which lead’s people to overvalue their significance. I agree that plat does not equal pro. FYI i platted DMC 1 - 4 and i think ‘competent’ is actually a good gauge of the skill needed to plat those. I know 5 is often considered the hardest but it's just for context that I love so much lol. 

We can agree to disagree. We’ll just go round in circles otherwise. While I agree the point you're trying to make comes across, I still think it's worded poorly and nothing I've said seems to have swayed you to think otherwise either. So it's probably best. No hard feeling, it's not like people have to agree on everything. 

Again it wasn’t meant as an attack but the way in which arguments/points are made can have a big impact on whether or not it hits. Not saying I'm good at it though lol.

22 minutes ago, BlueDragonZero said:

Good. TBH I would completely understand if you were. You’re clearly proud of the guide for good reason so it’s not lost on me that some random turning up and criticising a somewhat irrelevant paragraph to the main aim of the guide could elicit a response. 

That's all very sound and reasonable but people might not necessarily have looked at them. I didn’t take them into account and that's my fault. Actually it made me consider what I think is a good solution so If you're still willing to hear me out. That section would be a great point to mention the other guides and link to them again. It would have provided strong validity to the claim as well as add context to your conclusion at a reasonable point which people might be more inclined to click on. At the very least is that not fair?

When it comes to trophies/achievements being the metric on player proficiency you’re not wrong per say. Considering the main genres of games you play I can definitely understand the conclusion as those are highly regarded within those circles. At least with the fighting game’s you could point people to the completive players as an easy rebuttal. With hack and slash though, trophies/achievements are an easily accessible and one of the few metric's for people to gauge one's ability and are probably unlikely to have delved into the depths of YouTube to find the actually skilled players which lead’s people to overvalue their significance. I agree that plat does not equal pro. FYI i platted DMC 1 - 4 and i think ‘competent’ is actually a good gauge of the skill needed to plat those. I know 5 is often considered the hardest but it's just for context that I love so much lol. 

We can agree to disagree. We’ll just go round in circles otherwise. While I agree the point you're trying to make comes across, I still think it's worded poorly and nothing I've said seems to have swayed you to think otherwise either. So it's probably best. No hard feeling, it's not like people have to agree on everything. 

Again it wasn’t meant as an attack but the way in which arguments/points are made can have a big impact on whether or not it hits. Not saying I'm good at it though lol.

The other guides I've written are found in the disclaimer :) 

• Like 1