Guide of the Year Awards 2022 - Announcement

Dreggit

1 hour ago, TugaSonic said:

One reason was that before it was more of a popularity contest. Like people would just nominate the more popular game's guides or just the guides for games they played and guides belonging to less popular games would be less likely to get nominated even if they were high quality.

fair point

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 7:37 PM, igs63 said:

That is an incredible number of guides that have been created by a community that does it largely without any sort of monetary incentive. Im so grateful to be a part of such a fantastic community that cares so much about all the games we play and sharing all the knowledge we gain back to the community. Well done to all authors this year, even if you do not receive a nomination, the work you have put in is always appreciated. A special thank you should also go to the guide team who provide support to the authors, and have reviewed all of the published guides with care, ensuring that they are all of the highest quality!

Good luck everyone!

I do this in my off time, it is good to help others out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Void said:

I do this in my off time, it is good to help others out.

I pretty much act the same way. I started writing guides as a way to give back to the community for all the games I’ve played. Plus it feels good to retain my college essay skills while making my guides.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Lil-Gameboy123 said:

I pretty much act the same way. I started writing guides as a way to give back to the community for all the games I’ve played. Plus it feels good to retain my college essay skills while making my guides.

Same here :). I'm currently working out what my Guides for the next few months will be but nothing is set in stone just yet, though there are a couple I've had my eye on since late last year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Same here :). I'm currently working out what my Guides for the next few months will be but nothing is set in stone just yet, though there are a couple I've had my eye on since late last year.

I started guides for Eternity the Last Unicorn and Evil West. Though i am studying for a Certification Test next month for a better job. So the guides have to wait.

34 minutes ago, Lil-Gameboy123 said:

My issues are "what can I improve in this guide". 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Void said:

I started guides for Eternity the Last Unicorn and Evil West. Though i am studying for a Certification Test next month for a better job. So the guides have to wait.

Evil West looks like a good game that i've been eyeballing too, given its a mixture of Red Dead Redemption and Vampire: The Masquearde - Bloodhunt imo, so i'll be looking forward to what to expect from your guide before picking the game up. Good luck on your test though. Meanwhile, two of my guides are waiting to be published (Among Us: Hide N Seek DLC and Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? (PS5)), though it'll be a while with the upcoming 2022 GOTY Awards. Then me and distressedjazz are almost done with the gameplay guide for Pac-Man Museum +.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lil-Gameboy123 said:

Evil West looks like a good game that i've been eyeballing too, given its a mixture of Red Dead Redemption and Vampire: The Masquearde - Bloodhunt

It is a pretty straight forward game, it plays a little like Calisto Protocol. It is linear with small offshoots here and there and a lot of point-of-no-return spots. Reminds me a little of Darksiders in the way the characters designed. I know it has NG+ so the higher difficulties can be a bit easier on later runs. 

12 hours ago, Lil-Gameboy123 said:

I'm of the same thought. Especially wanted to make guides for those, games that are very niche or nobody found them worth of their time. Even if short or easier than others, a guide is always handy no matter the game! 

• Like 3

On 1/5/2023 at 7:07 AM, Darghel said:

I'm of the same thought. Especially wanted to make guides for those, games that are very niche or nobody found them worth of their time. Even if short or easier than others, a guide is always handy no matter the game! 

I know what you mean, I usually aim for the niche games myself. I have a few higher end games I have done but when it comes down to it I will take the lesser known games.

• Like 1