[EVENT] PSNP Kaleidoscope Challenge! 2023 [ENDED]

17 minutes ago, slicknick3822 said:

Would I be able to count Ratchet & Clank as Deep Purple because of the top right? If not, I'm fine counting it as Blue for my first completion of 2023.

L800d7e.png

Nah - I wouldn’t say purple could be considered “dominant” in that one - it would really be dark blue, or light blue at a push

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stuthesheep said:

Anyway, I have a question. I see DLCs are allowed - but what if the DLC badge has the same artwork as the base game? Would that be valid for an entry here if the base game platinum was won x years ago? No biggie either way this early in January tbh.

Yup, that’s fine - if the DLC is the same image as the main, but you finish the DLC list this year, it’s good for a slot!

The only time this wouldn’t be okay, would be if someone was trying to use the same image (from DLC, and from Main list) for two different slots…

…since a single image should only have one “dominant” colour in that player’s eyes, so it should only cover one slot!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yup, that’s fine - if the DLC is the same image as the main, but you finish the DLC list this year, it’s good for a slot!

Cheers Doc, that's what I figured but good to have the clarification - I don't want to do any more image manipulation than I have to!

• Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 5:25 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

PSNP-KE-Banner.jpg

Hello, fellow trophy peoples!

After having some great fun with events the past few years, and particularly enjoying the "Trophies for Cancer" event, where one of the more esoteric elements of games formed the backbone - the Game Cover images - I've decided to put together a little event riffing on that concept - but this time, incorporating the whole rainbow kaleidoscope!

Wha?

This is a completely freeform challenge, in which folks can play any games they fancy, in any genre they like - but try to complete at least one game with every colour of the rainbow.... (or at least, the 16 shown below) in its game image!

PSNP-KE-Colour-Wheel.jpg

But I don't know what a Game Image is!

Yes you do, you silly goose!

It's the image that appears in your main profile page, or in the "games" list, or in your individual trophy tracking game page - the one that you can get a nice, clean version of by clicking on that picture about 17-trillion times, until the site gives you a URL to copy and paste!

As a result of some confusion, please note - The Game Images are what is used for the event, not the Banner Images! Please refer to this wonderfully hap-hazard mobile-phone construction I made for clarification!:

Hide contents

EB86-FFCB-6-FFB-4-FBD-915-A-56857695-B03

Oh, okay... well, that's all well and good... but how am I, a regular person, supposed to keep track of such a thing?!

Don't you worry - like any good Butler / Mother / Man-servant, I have already anticipated your every need, and created the following artistic masterpiece, for your copying / download / tracking / toilet-paper replacing (delete as appropriate) needs!:

Hide contents

PSNP-KE-Colour-Checklist.jpg

Also - to make it even easier for the photoshop-averse - @pinkrobot_pb  has gone above and beyond the Modern Warfare, and created the following excellent online tool!:

It's is a simple webpage where you can set an image for every game, and then save the resulting list as a new image.

1. Click on Select for the color you want to add a game image for.
  2. navigate to the url of the game image from within your profile (click the picture, until you get the "clean" image, with only the image on screen, and copy the url from your search bar
  3. Paste the url in the text field and click Set Image.
  4. Rinse and repeat.
  5. Click on Save image at the bottom of the page to save the resulting image to your computer.

Thanks @pinkrobot_pb !

That's unpossible, no human could achieve such a feat!

Of course you can!

Seriously, this one isn't such a big challenge really - it's about the fun, the variety, and the community. You know you play more than 16 games a year - I know you do! I've seen the metric fuck-tonne of games y'all post about!

If you don't believe me, here's a sample version of a completed rainbow, culled from my very own list of games!

Hide contents

PSNP-KE-Colour-Checklist-SAMPLE.jpg

Those colours don't even perfectly match, you foolish fool! Get outta here with your nonsense!

Well, yes, thats a little true...

...but the point is not to match the colour to the sample colour perfectly - it's to come up with 16 games that broadly match the colour rainbow, with their dominant colours... play them... finish them... and enjoy them!

there's no need to be all anal-retentive about it!

If something is broadly "green" - and it's darker than another game that's broadly "green" - that's your dark and light green ones.... and don't let anyone tell you different!

(Unless they're actually pink and yellow. Then, you should probably let them tell you different.)

(And go to get an eye test.)

(Don't drive. Take the bus. I'll give you the fare.* )

(*I won't.)

Okay, fine then! God!    Sigh.... What are the rules? I'll bet they're super stupid.

Not really!

This is a new event, so some questions will likely come up, but in anticipation of them, here's some broad guidance:

• A game colour is the "broad" colour of the image. I'm not the colour police - just try not to be silly! If you genuinely think the "overall" colour fits the box... then it does! If you're pixel-hunting to find that one spot where the blue-to-red gradient looks kinda-pinkish.... it probably doesn't!

• Games with a Platinum count once the Platinum is obtained - no having to jump back in for DLC if you'd rather not!

• Non-Platinum games require the base list complete - again, no need for further DLC, if that's not your bag!

• Some games have separate game images for DLC packs - and I reckon they can count for a spot too, if you so wish.    DLCs are all quite varied in length and difficulty, and I'm sure we've all found some DLC packs that take more time and effort than some full games... so who am I to deny that hard work!  I'm not your mommy, so I leave the nuance of that to the individual. If you think a DLC that has a separate game image is "worthy of your list", and it fits... then it IS worthy! It's your list, after all!

• A single game image should fill only one box - but if you pick one for, say, light blue, then play a lighter-light-blue one after, feel free to swap the first one over to the blue box, to work both games into the mix!

• Games don't need to be declared beforehand or anything like that - play what you fancy, and if you think it fits, and can hold your head up high saying so, do it! All I ask is occasional updates to let folks see what games each-other are playing, and let us know how you found them!

• There's no rarity / difficulty / prestige element to picking games - if you want to use a Jumping Taco, or a jar of Mayo, go with God! If you'd rather have a full UR rainbow, be my guest!

Will there be participation badges? I'm not just playing games for FUN, here, you know!

Yes!

I haven't done any badges up yet, but given that I am pathologically addicted to making badges for other people's events at this point, it would be kinda weird if I didn't do some for this one!

I suspect I will be doing at a minimum, a badge for each ranking level... plus who knows?

Maybe even a special, elusive "Double Rainbow" badge for any goodie-two-shoes who manages to do two full sets!

Will there be levels of completion? I'm very competitive, and quite the gaming stud! My gaming prowess must be acknowledged!

Yes!

Completion of 7 colours will earn a person the rank of "Rainbow Appreciator"

Completion of 12 colours will earn a person the rank of "Rainbow Warrior"

Completion of all 16 colours will earn the person a coveted spot as a "Rainbow Elite"

Okay, fine then. When will this event run, and when can I sign up?

Start Time: January 1st, 2023 00:00 GMT

End Time: December 31st, 2023 23:59 GMT

Anyone can sign up any time - and y'all can sign up now if you're eager, and Ill add you to the Big Sexy Participants list - all that matters is that they play the games during that 1-year timeframe.

For ease of clarity, we'll say all games have to be "finished" (in whatever capacity that is) within that time - but can have been started earlier.... so if you're looking to clean up some backlog, I don't see why that wouldn't count!

Hang on.... look. Don't laugh. I'm generally very smart... but... I'm not sure how to post images, okay?!  Some people just know different things!

I got you fam.

(Well, technically @Squirlruler has you since I literally copied this part from him in his event - hope that's cool @Squirlruler!)

Hide contents
  • Use Printscreen or a screenshot (Firefox has one built into the browser, windows 10 has one built in as well ctrl+shft+s)
  • Go to Imgur and click on New Post
  • Paste the image there
  • Once the post is there, you can right click on the image and hit "Copy Image Link".
  • Paste that in the forum should display the image

Rainbow Elites

Reveal hidden contents

Rainbow Warriors

Reveal hidden contents

Rainbow Appreciators

Reveal hidden contents

Big Sexy Participants List

Let me know if there are any issues above or any questions you have - I'll try to answer promptly!

This one is all about the fun, so no needling other folks for their choices of games, you cheeky monkey! That's right - I'm talking to you!

Let's all just have some rainbow-coloured good times here!

Count me in

• Like 1

Hope I'm not too late to the party... I'd love to do this! 

Might finally break my habit of playing the same games for the entire year ?

Plus I'm hoping to reach 50 Plat's by the end of the year, this challenge might just be what pushes me to achieve my goal!

Happy Hunting ?

• Like 2

2nd one complete

Green - Need for Speed Unbound

Tan - Weird West

Ive gone for green for NFS Unbound because it’s the colour that most draws the eye from the image. It’s also the colour on every trophy tile. But mainly because the next few games I’ve got in mind are all blue, black, white or grey....so yeah, it’s gotta be green.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DizzyDavidson said:

guess the red pops out too but anyway...

F1 games are kind of for a niche crowd including racing game fans even.

I've been playing these F1 games since the dawn of times. Over the years it has turned into one of those annual sports franchise games that doesn't offer a whole lot of new stuff with each release. Still, as an F1 fan I feel compelled to play these games.

It isn't a hard game (especially this entry) but there's a learning curve if you've never played an F1 game.

For those interested, you can create, manage and race in you own team or real teams/drivers around the world on famous tracks both online and offline

I played f122, enjoyed the career story mode, but did find some of the trophies a bit of a grind. It’s the only f1 game (aside from the recent manager one) I’ve played. Does 22 have the same grind for track time and multiplayer etc trophies?

1 hour ago, PotrikBerger said:

I played f122, enjoyed the career story mode, but did find some of the trophies a bit of a grind. It’s the only f1 game (aside from the recent manager one) I’ve played. Does 22 have the same grind for track time and multiplayer etc trophies?

I'd say the single player stuff is definitely less grindy (no track time) in '22 than it was in '21 but for online you still have to do 100 races. Also there's no story mode in this.

Edited by DizzyDavidson