Transferring saves right before unlocking a trophy.

These are mine and others in the comments findings.

I can confirm that transferring a save right before the requirement to unlock a trophy will work. Example: death march difficulty. I have a save right before the last conversation with Ciri that unlocks the death march trophy and it popped. This should apply to other trophies of similar nature (card collector, full crew, etc). 

Note: if anyone can confirm if the kill trophies unlock with 1 kill AFTER you start a ng+. I did all these prior to starting a ng+. Would be appreciated and I will update. 

In addition to that most trophies that require to do a specific action X amount of times will unlock after the first action on a save that already has these trophies on a playthrough. For example all kill trophies will unlock after 1 kill following the specific requirement for that trophy. The exception is Master Marksman.

Trophies such as read 30 books, collect 6 bomb formulae, and learn 12 potion formulae, and destroy 10 nests with bombs will pop after doing 1. The trophy to find 100 sign posts will also unlock after the next one found, and you can get the level 35 trophy next time you level up if you're already pass level 35. 

Last make sure to unequip and requip a piece of Witcher gear for the full set trophy, spend skill points in a tree to get the trophy, etc. 

Below is a list of trophies I could not get to pop and had to do - or currently doing - normally. 

-50 headshots with the crossbow (for some reason this is the only kill trophy where you need all 50 again) 

-complete all Witcher contracts (I tried completing a dlc contract, plus a contract on an older save. Will have to have a save prior to last contract) 

-collect all Gwent cards (I tried obtaining dlc cards to get it to pop, and Siriodorione confirmed duplicate cards won't pop it either. Will have to have a save prior to last card)

Edited by Stars_of_Sirius
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stars_of_Sirius said:

With the new update where you upload your save via cloud on your GOG account it should be possible no? Otherwise cross platform saves wouldn't work. 

It's your account, you do what you want, but I assume since you're posting here you're aware of the leaderboards and using saves from other peoples accounts would earn a flag.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stars_of_Sirius said:

I can confirm that transferring a save right before the requirement to unlock a trophy will work. Example: death march difficulty. I have a save right before the last conversation with ciri that unlocks the trophy and it popped. 

Which leads me to this: I want to test out if someone else can use my save and get the Death March trophy as well. If this works I'm basically hoping to find someone with a save right before the Card Collector, Assassins of Kings, and/or Full Crew trophy. Mostly Card Collector cause fuck that trophy. I don't mind getting all the trophies again by playing through but I hate the missable trophies in this game. 

Let me know and we can join a party chat together as we attempt it. 

Same. It also works with leveling - just unlocked the Level 35 trophy after ranking up again on an old PS4 save, but I was in the 60s or 70s by that point.

40 minutes ago, Creasy007 said:

Same. It also works with leveling - just unlocked the Level 35 trophy after ranking up again on an old PS4 save, but I was in the 60s or 70s by that point.

That's good to know! So you can get the level 35 trophy even if you're above level 35. 

I wonder if someone can confirm if unlocking a dlc card or a duplicate card might give the card collector trophy if you already have all of them. 

4 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Yes, the rules governing who gets to participate on the sites leaderboards: https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/52663-what-constitutes-a-flag/

Huh, never knew, good to know. I already got the Death March trophy on my ps5 from my ps4 save. So if people report me I could be flagged even though it's my save? Reason I say this is because there's no way to prove it so seems weird to me people can get flagged for that. 

Just now, Stars_of_Sirius said:

Huh, never knew, good to know. I already gave the Death March trophy on my ps5 from my ps4 save. So if people report me I could be flagged even though it's my save? Reason I say this is because there's no way to prove it so seems weird to me people can get flagged for that. 

No, using game-support cross saves from your own account isn't against the rules.

You're misunderstanding.

3 hours ago, Stars_of_Sirius said:

I want to test out if someone else can use my save

Anyone know if you can use a save from the base version ps4 game? As in the non goty version. I know the ps4 base game save wasn't compatible with the goty version/complete edition or whatever they call it on ps4. But if I upgrade from base ps4 to ps5 version, will that work? It seems you can upgrade with just the base game, but don't know if it gives you like a base game ps5 version or not 

Edited by ChibsSoA

1 hour ago, Stars_of_Sirius said:

That's good to know! So you can get the level 35 trophy even if you're above level 35. 

I wonder if someone can confirm if unlocking a dlc card or a duplicate card might give the card collector trophy if you already have all of them. 

I was wondering the same, then I realized I was on my NG+ playthrough where I was exclusively trying to beat it on Death March, so I had no Gwent cards unlocked, no DLC completed or anything sadly. No matter, I don't mind getting the rest of the trophies now, just didn't want to have to deal with Death March again (despite getting the trophy legit three times in the past - I've earned an easy go of it now!)

12 minutes ago, Creasy007 said:

I was wondering the same, then I realized I was on my NG+ playthrough where I was exclusively trying to beat it on Death March, so I had no Gwent cards unlocked, no DLC completed or anything sadly. No matter, I don't mind getting the rest of the trophies now, just didn't want to have to deal with Death March again (despite getting the trophy legit three times in the past - I've earned an easy go of it now!)

I'm also curious if it's possible to unlock trophies like Bombardier (unlock 6 bomb formulaes) in ng+ when you already have the trophy and all 8 formulaes. 

55 minutes ago, ChibsSoA said:

Anyone know if you can use a save from the base version ps4 game? As in the non goty version. I know the ps4 base game save wasn't compatible with the goty version/complete edition or whatever they call it on ps4. But if I upgrade from base ps4 to ps5 version, will that work? It seems you can upgrade with just the base game, but don't know if it gives you like a base game ps5 version or not 

I had the base disk version and dlc bought seperate and it upgraded fine for me with both dlcs

2 hours ago, Stars_of_Sirius said:

Actually if you play the mode Blood and Wine only, your character is level 34. You fight some enemies or do one quest in the dlc you get the trophy. Works on all versions. It’s the last trophy I need to worry

30 minutes ago, Stars_of_Sirius said:

I'm also curious if it's possible to unlock trophies like Bombardier (unlock 6 bomb formulaes) in ng+ when you already have the trophy and all 8 formulaes. 

I had the base disk version and dlc bought seperate and it upgraded fine for me with both dlcs

I can confirm 'Bookworm' and 'Let's Cook!' can be unlocked through this method. I wanted to try to get 'Bombardier' but I wasn't sure where to go to buy six with relative quickness, since, as I said, I was on my NG+ Death March run in this save and didn't have much unlocked past the places I had to go to complete the main story. If you know of a certain spot I could rush to buy some, though, I'd love to try.

4 minutes ago, Creasy007 said:

I can confirm 'Bookworm' and 'Let's Cook!' can be unlocked through this method. I wanted to try to get 'Bombardier' but I wasn't sure where to go to buy six with relative quickness, since, as I said, I was on my NG+ Death March run in this save and didn't have much unlocked past the places I had to go to complete the main story. If you know of a certain spot I could rush to buy some, though, I'd love to try.

yea in my current endgame save I've already aquired all of the bomb recipes so can't get Bombardier, but the majority of trophies unlock the way Bookworm and Lets Cook do, the combat ones for example you just need 1 kill if on your current save you did all the kills

Edited by zachpicc

54 minutes ago, zachpicc said:

yea in my current endgame save I've already aquired all of the bomb recipes so can't get Bombardier, but the majority of trophies unlock the way Bookworm and Lets Cook do, the combat ones for example you just need 1 kill if on your current save you did all the kills

Oh wow, that goes for ALL the kill-related trophies? Damn, I had no idea. Guess I'm gonna stick with that and get those out of the way then, especially the headshots. That's amazing news, I appreciate it!

EDIT: Sadly don't have any saves from my original NG playthrough to use, which is a bummer considering that would've saved a ton of time. It looks like they fixed the Devil's Pit exploit too so those 50 headshots are going to be a real pain in the ass to get now.

Edited by Creasy007

1 hour ago, Creasy007 said:

Oh wow, that goes for ALL the kill-related trophies? Damn, I had no idea. Guess I'm gonna stick with that and get those out of the way then, especially the headshots. That's amazing news, I appreciate it!

I was actually going to reply letting you know I did some testing but someone beat me to it. Only thing though is I can't unlock the marksman trophy so if you get that to work let me know. I got the environmental kills, aard, and axii to unlock on first kill though. Weird. 

Just now, Darling Baphomet said:

Truly incredible the lengths trophy hunters will go to in order to avoid having to play games.

Has nothing to do with avoid playing the game. All the trophies could have autopopped and I'd still do a full playthrough and complete all side missions and contracts. I just don't want to have to worry about certain trophies, what's wrong with that? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Truly incredible the lengths trophy hunters will go to in order to avoid having to play games.

I've got the Platinum legitimately three separate times and wanted to avoid some of the more irritating trophies this go around. Whatever I get out of the way before my first proper PS5 playthrough, I still plan on fully diving into the game, only without the worry of focusing on certain trophies.

Truly incredible the lengths trophy hunters will go on this site in order to complain about how some go about earning their own trophies. 

1 hour ago, Stars_of_Sirius said:

I was actually going to reply letting you know I did some testing but someone beat me to it. Only thing though is I can't unlock the marksman trophy so if you get that to work let me know. I got the environmental kills, aard, and axii to unlock on first kill though. Weird. 

I ended up finding an original save on my PS4 version I played on the PS5 that was my initial runthrough (the third time I was going through the Platinum) thankfully. Had to call it for the night but I'm real glad I won't have to deal with the headache that is getting 50 headshots.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Creasy007 said:

I've got the Platinum legitimately three separate times and wanted to avoid some of the more irritating trophies this go around. Whatever I get out of the way before my first proper PS5 playthrough, I still plan on fully diving into the game, only without the worry of focusing on certain trophies.

Truly incredible the lengths trophy hunters will go on this site in order to complain about how some go about earning their own trophies. 

I ended up finding an original save on my PS4 version I played on the PS5 that was my initial runthrough (the third time I was going through the Platinum) thankfully. Had to call it for the night but I'm real glad I won't have to deal with the headache that is getting 50 headshots.

Just to confirm, did you get it to pop after one headshot OR you used an old save that was close to getting the trophy? Every other kill trophy has been popping first one except the headshot one. 

6 minutes ago, Stars_of_Sirius said:

Just to confirm, did you get it to pop after one headshot OR you used an old save that was close to getting the trophy? Every other kill trophy has been popping first one except the headshot one. 

I had to call it for the night so didn't get around to trying the headshot one yet, but I used an old save where I already had all the base game trophies (minus the difficulty trophies), which allowed me to get Environmentally Unfriendly, Globetrotter, and Fire in the Hole after accomplishing just one of each respective requirement. I'm going to go for the kill-related ones tomorrow.

I did try to complete a contract to see if it would give me the trophy for doing two without using signs/potions/etc. or the one for all the contracts being completed but neither unlocked. Then again, this was a contract in Touissant, so perhaps it doesn't count for those regardless.

47 minutes ago, Creasy007 said:

I had to call it for the night so didn't get around to trying the headshot one yet, but I used an old save where I already had all the base game trophies (minus the difficulty trophies), which allowed me to get Environmentally Unfriendly, Globetrotter, and Fire in the Hole after accomplishing just one of each respective requirement. I'm going to go for the kill-related ones tomorrow.

I did try to complete a contract to see if it would give me the trophy for doing two without using signs/potions/etc. or the one for all the contracts being completed but neither unlocked. Then again, this was a contract in Touissant, so perhaps it doesn't count for those regardless.

If you get it to work please describe in detail. Otherwise right now I'm trying to decide if I go for the 50 kills on a save I already got it on, or make a new game. Not sure if it will unlock on an old save. Ill try tomorrpw getting 50 headshots