Favourite game you played in 2022

GoonerLukeThe

Going through my 2022 list, which is surprisingly short in terms of new games I just started this year. 

My winner is:   ? Ghost Of Tsushima ?

I was happily suprised to see the Complete Edition being part of PS+ Premium and so me waiting to buy the game has paid out perfectly. I got a very good game and complete game for not much money, played no other game more this year and enjoyed it in the most parts very much. 

• Like 2

Elden Ring. My girlfriend gifted me with it for my 24th birthday (she actually pre-ordered it so I could play the game on the 25th of February) and it was as intense as I wanted it to be. I really enjoyed every single minute. Now I'm looking forward for the DLCs as I want come back to this masterpiece as soon as possible. 

Honorable mention for Sekiro, which I'm playing right now. It definitely deserves a second spot this year.

• Like 3

The Last of Us is one of my favorite games ever and since I played the Last of Us Part 1 this year I guess that's probably it.  Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut would probably be next.  I know  has its problems and is a polarizing game but I really enjoyed it.

PS4: WWE 2K22 and TMNT Cowabunga Collection. 

Switch: Nintendo Switch Sports.

WWE 2K22 marked the return of the WWE game series with overhauled controls and new modes, some good (MyRise) and some bad (MyFaction and MyGM). I played this more than any other PS4 game this year so I definitely liked what I saw.

Nintendo Switch Sports wasn't easy for me to play due to bad legs but I enjoyed it whenever I could. It definitely lived up to the hype.

TMNT Cowabunga Collection brought me back to my childhood with 13 classic TMNT games from the Arcade, NES, SNES, Genesis and Game Boy. I can finally say I beat the original NES TMNT game after 3 decades and also relived Fall of the Foot Clan (Game Boy), first beaten by me sometime around 1991 and was one of the first games I ever beat.

I hope to enjoy many more in 2023 and hopefully a PS5 as well.

I would say GoW Ragnarok but I feel like that's the easy answer so instead I'll say... Riders Republic for me. I'm generally not a huge fan of sports / racing games, but for some reason this one hit different and I poured 200hrs into it in just 1 month. 

7 minutes ago, DeadDexterous said:

Also the game Agony, loved that.

Screenshot-20221214-190755.png

This might be the most shocking "game I enjoyed" name someone has ever said. Kudos to you my friend!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Baker said:

DOOM Eternal

Probably the best offline FPS game I ever played. I can’t think of a better one at the moment.

Doom Eternal was my favourite this year as well (playing through Doom 2016 ATM), with Ghostrunner a close 2nd. 

Edited by Kcrack_Km
  • Like 1

This is tough.  Black Flag, Stranger of Paradise, and Tokyo Xanadu.  Black Flag reignited my interest in Assassin's Creed.  The story was nice and combat and parkour was fun.  And the ship battles were terrific.  And I love Assassin's Creed multiplayer.

Stranger of Paradise was a nice retelling of Final Fantasy I...or was it?  Jack really grew on me.  Came for the memes, but stayed for much more.  The combat was fun and I liked the classes.  DLC leaves much to be desired.  1 or 2 new bosses, I mean they're fun bosses, but it's padded in running the same dungeons from the main game.

And Tokyo Xanadu.  If it stopped after the first ending, it would've taken first place easily.  Like it's a great balance between Ys and Trails.  Falcom knows worldbuilding and the entire cast grew on me.  But Rion really surprised me.  My first impression was, "oh an idol, guess she's a Rise expy."  But nope, she ended up being my favorite character.  In combat and the plot.  She has the wing weapons which is pretty unique and she was fun to play.  Still don't know why she slipped on ice when she was floating.  But in the plot, she likes messing with people.  Especially Kou.  But like I said, if it stopped at the first ending, it would've been perfect.  But it has a post-game, which wasn't too bad.  It added some closure and gave a happy ending and did that thing where the main theme played during a boss fight which I'm a huge sucker for.  BUT, it has a post-post-game.  And it just kind of lost the plot.  The plot up to that point was contained, everything was very personal to the cast.  Stakes just got raised too high, too fast.  Felt like it was just tacked on.  Like maybe if they saved it and explored it deeper in it's own game, it would've been better.

• Like 1

It has to be Deep Rock Galactic for me, to say anything was above it would be disingenuous, a real breath of fresh air which brought back a fondness for multiplayer that I thought would never return to me.

Honourable mentions to This is the Police 2 for adding to the fun elements and follow up story with a more than reasonable set of strategy missions not present in the first game, and For the King as a great online or couch co op for anyone too lazy for real life D & D.

Personal goty's are once again VNs. I'd say it's a tie between Umineko and Summer Pockets ~Reflection Blue (thank you Alka translations), since I'm still in the middle of the answer arcs, but as far as Summer Pockets goes, I think it even surpassed Clannad to me. Visual Arts Key went and did it again.

Edited by mecharobot
  • Like 2

It is really hard to choose a favourite game, so I'm just writing down the games that impressed me:

1. Death Stranding

2. Control

3. Life is Strange 2

4. Gravity Rush

5. Bioshock

6. Crash Team Racing

7. Crash Bandicoot 4

8. Sleeping Dogs

9. Ratchet and Clank

Edited by James Tiger
  • Like 1

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

this game is a dream for me, storytelling focus with fast, spectacular action gameplay, epic soundtrack, memorable well developed characters, deep world... everything is awesome and results in a multiplier effect for quality

especially now with the definitive PS5 version

• Like 3

How about UNSIGHTED.  A Hyper-Like???  Just a great little game.

Hard to pick a favorite this year, i played a lot that i really liked.  Eternal Castle, Crimsonland, Elden Ring, GTA SA, Nidhogg, Hammerwatch Heroes, Narita boy, blasphemous, Crawl, Torquel, Riddled corpse sex, Vice city, Returnal DLC, Guac 2, Hellpoint DLC  etc  Even RDR2 grew on me.

Edited by maisie666

No joke, Castlevania III. Been slowly making my way through the series the past couple of years and while I knew CV3 was regarded pretty highly it actually exceeded my expectations. The companion system was really fun and I like how the levels were actually designed with them in mind. Each character allowed certain skips or fast boss kills. Only beat it once but it seems very replayable with the branching paths. Heck I didn't even find Alucard on my playthrough.

For a newer game, No More Heroes 3. Always been a fan of the series even though I never thought of it as like a top tier action game or anything. But NMH3 was pleasantly surprising. Making the main antagonists aliens was really smart as it let them get way more creative with the enemy design. Absolutely loved all the boss fights as well. I just wish the PS5 trophy list wasn't a buggy mess, the plat is still unobtainable 2 months after launch.