Ultra Rare Trophies!!!

SuchRemorse

I would like to know what you people think about Ultra rare trophies. Trophies that are Legit Ultra rare because they are hard vs Ultra rare trophies that aren't hard to get but they are Ultra Rare just because nobody plays the games. Is there such a list? Or does anyone know Of some actual easy Ultra rare trophies?

5 minutes ago, SuchRemorse said:

You made some great points!!!! Thanks....

Sorry - I should also mention - if you're looking for some achievable, not-brutal URs, but where the game is still very good (or in some cases, excellent!) I'd highly recommend looking at:

Invisible Inc

Griftlands 

Curse of the Dead Gods

Void Bastards

RAD

Super Time Force Ultra

Cities Skylines

Dead Nation

Metrico

Lone Survivor

(I refuse to recommend "crappy-but-easy-and-UR" games... though I do have some! ?)

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Invisible Inc

Griftlands 

Curse of the Dead Gods

Void Bastards

RAD

Super Time Force Ultra

Cities Skylines

Dead Nation

Metrico

Lone Survivor

Great list! Thanks! I'll have to check some of those out.....Just looked at Lone survivor because I already own that game but haven't played it yet. WOOOOOW seriously!!! It has 13 Ultra Rare Trophies. That's ridiculous lol.. I'm just assuming but I doubt that game is THAT hard. Where as some really difficult games (in my opinion) Don't even have any Ultra Rare trophies. That's why I'm all confused about the rarity ratings. It's kinda a shame. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuchRemorse said:

Just looked at Lone survivor because I already own that game but haven't played it yet. WOOOOOW seriously!!! It has 13 Ultra Rare Trophies. That's ridiculous lol.. I'm just assuming but I doubt that game is THAT hard.

It is actually easy, completed it without any problems.

IMHO the reason why it is UR is that it was available in PS+, so most probably a lot of people tried it "for free", but simply abandoned. 

• Like 2

There are a lot of trophies that are UR due to other reasons than being challenging, but there are almost no trophies (almost.. I could name a few myself) that are truly hard and NOT UR without there being any exploit to make that challenge easier. 

I would be surprised if anyone could name more than a handful of games that are objectively considered to be an 8/10 or above to S-rank that does not have any UR trophies. But I bet almost anyone can name a lot of games that have UR trophies without them being challenging at all ?

Since it's part of the OP's question, I actually do "care" to some extent about UR trophies but only if their rarity comes from them being challenging. UR trophies that are rare because the game is shit or whatever aren't of any interest to me. I put "care" in "" because I actually care more about the challenge of a game than the rarity of its trophies, it just so happens that challenging games usually have rare trophies. The opposite, as mentioned above, is not true. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

I would be surprised if anyone could name more than a handful of games that are objectively considered to be an 8/10 or above to S-rank that does not have any UR trophies. But I bet almost anyone can name a lot of games that have UR trophies without them being challenging at all 1f605.png

"Objective" is a tricky work when it comes to difficulty - I'd argue in virtually all cases, difficulty is "subject" to situational aspects - for example, whether a person is following a guide or not - and is therefore by definition "subjective"...

... but in that spirit I would argue something like the Tunic trophy for solving the master-puzzle door is - without a guide or using tips - a VERY difficult one to crack... and it's rarity is above 50%.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

"Objective" is a tricky work when it comes to difficulty - I'd argue in virtually all cases, difficulty is "subject" to situational aspects - for example, whether a person is following a guide or not - and is therefore by definition "subjective"...

... but in that spirit I would argue something like the Tunic trophy for solving the master-puzzle door is - without a guide or using tips - a VERY difficult one to crack... and it's rarity is above 50%.

Sure, and I bet something like The Witness without the known exploits would have a rare trophy as well. In the case of puzzle games, "looking up the solution" falls into what in my post reads as "without there being any exploit to make that challenge easier.". 

Actually, let me just rephrase that part as "without there being any exploit to make that challenge easier, or the challenge being trivialized by looking up a solution." :) 

Just now, Arcesius said:

Sure, and I bet something like The Witness without the known exploits would have a rare trophy as well. In the case of puzzle games, "looking up the solution" falls into what in my post reads as "without there being any exploit to make that challenge easier.". 

Actually, let me just rephrase that part as "without there being any exploit to make that challenge easier, or the challenge being trivialized by looking up a solution." :) 

absolutely - something I often find puzzle games - I finish a game and am like "Wow, that was tough..." then look at the rarities and am like ? ?

19 hours ago, SuchRemorse said:

I would like to know what you people think about Ultra rare trophies. Trophies that are Legit Ultra rare because they are hard vs Ultra rare trophies that aren't hard to get but they are Ultra Rare just because nobody plays the games. Is there such a list? Or does anyone know Of some actual easy Ultra rare trophies?

The questions I have to your questions is, why? Do you personally want to increase the prestige of your profile? Do you believe UR's will do that?

Well, for example, as someone who has the Surgeon Simulator (non VR) plat. I don't feel particularly god like because of it. 1) I thought the game wasn't that hard 2) Most trophy hunters aren't going to give you huge respect for having it. Typically they will immediately ask, have done I Am Bread? It's a great joke....

tXFkLLh.png

If we are talking the likes of Devil May Cry 5, Splasher, Super Meat Boy. Those UR's will get you a lot of brownie points, in the UR hunting niche at least. But they also vaule the Verdun plat.....

Personally what do I think of UR trophies? Nice to have, not exactly essential to my trophy hunting experience. He saids as he is doing to Mein Leben....

What I don't like though is people who pose as skilled gamers and make up excuses for not playing certain games because of difficulty or they are a grind, rather than just being honest they aren't that good.

Do I think I'm a skilled gamer? I don't know. I just play games and trophies pop out. Sometimes they UR, sometimes they aren't. I know I suck at fight games for sure!

Anyway, I think you should just focus on what you like and not how rare PSNP saids a trophy is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheBusToYoker said:

The questions I have to your questions is, why? Do you personally want to increase the prestige of your profile? Do you believe UR's will do that?

Why? Because I was interested to know that's all. Do I want to increase the prestige of my profile? Sure... Wouldn't everyone? But I don't need UR's to do that.

I play a lot of games. I mean A LOT!!!! I do have a good mix of respectable games and some trash filler games. I have platinum in Tekken vs Street Fighter, Drawn to Death and I have 100% in Blacklight Retribution All earned LEGIT without boosting. (Kinda wish I did boost them Due to the amount of time they took) That's another story lol... 

Sometimes I do want to boost my level up a bit and I play some garbage (Just being honest here) to raise my score a bit. I think a lot of people do that and some people look down on it. It's all about fun though. I like earning trophies. It's fun for me. So sometimes I need to hear that **PING** I think it has to do with my addictive personality. I do have limits though. I would play some quick easy games for some easy trophies. But they HAVE to be games!!! I won't play something like "Stroke the cow" or "The jumping cookie"  to add trophies to my page. Those aren't even games to me. Just flat out cash grabs or blatant obvious trophy fillers. If I did happen to play anything on THAT level of "game" it was on accident Simply because I didn't know what it was and just bought it without research or other reasons.

Sometimes I buy a bunch of games when they are on sale. You would be surprised at some of the great deals psn has on little indie games that are out there. Yes some are super easy but they are decent quality or quick little games that can be finished within an hour when I don't feel like playing something for 40 hours. 

But in short... The answer to your question is no. I'm not looking for UR's to increase prestige on my page. Just wanted some type of list to know what people thought. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, SuchRemorse said:

Great list! Thanks! I'll have to check some of those out.....Just looked at Lone survivor because I already own that game but haven't played it yet. WOOOOOW seriously!!! It has 13 Ultra Rare Trophies. That's ridiculous lol.. I'm just assuming but I doubt that game is THAT hard. Where as some really difficult games (in my opinion) Don't even have any Ultra Rare trophies. That's why I'm all confused about the rarity ratings. It's kinda a shame. 

I think you should add Metal Gear Solid 2 to your list...If you want to suffer of course 

Beside the reasons already mentioned why games are UR, I think "challenging difficulty" highly depends on the game genre one prefers.

I like survival games and rogue likes and I am ok with super grindy games, most of the games in these genres are UR but I don't think they are actually hard (for me). on the other hand I am really bad with any platformer or beat em ups and I hate unnecessary challenges in games to the guts - > do what you already did, but 50% faster ?.  These games are pretty hard imho. 

but anyway, play and finish whatever you enjoy. 

On 22/12/2022 at 5:06 PM, SuchRemorse said:

Or does anyone know Of some actual easy Ultra rare trophies?

Easy UR games I know of sorted by how fun they were in my experience. I'm not going to include games with significant MP boosts or grinds, there's too many of those.

Fun

Obliteracers 

Insurgency Sandstorm

Vigor (play other modes to get crates for an easy grind)

Little Nightmares

Limbo

Fall Guys? (maybe a little grind, sweet thieves event for wins and tip toe event for race wins)

Hard to find fun and easy UR as most would get 100% if it was easy and fun.

Average

Pubg (now against bots)

Lone Survivor

Perfect Universe

F1 Race Stars

Piecefall

Slender The Arrival

Boring

Starwhal (afk grind so I'll include it)

Ark survival evolved (with dev console)

Screencheat & sportsfriends (both meant to be party games)

Hawken (only a 30min boost)

Nova-111

In Space We Brawl (grind but not big for the rarity)

RaceTheSun (with exploit)

I've heard Thief and The Forest aren't hard either, I've just not played them myself. I think they also take a little bit of time to do everything.

Edited by Riiszk
  • Like 1

On 22.12.2022 at 8:27 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Yeah, there's plenty of easy UR trophies, and plenty of difficult ones that are not UR.

Difficulty is just one factor that can affect rarity, but I tend to find it's one of the least influential factors.

It's always far outweighed by the influence of:

Game Quality

(The better a game is, the less rare it will be generally, as more people keep playing it regardless of difficulty. A "Shit but easy" game will usually be much rarer than a "good but tough" one, since only those who really want the plat will keep going with it, and everyone else will say "fuck this, it's rubbish!")

Trophy List "type"

(A trophy list for a difficult game, but which is a simple list - i.e. one where just playing the game and succeeding will net most trophies, will always be far more common than a list for a very easy game, but one where the trophy requirements are more esoteric) (see Elden Ring, vs. Beyond: Two Souls, for example!)

Popularity

(The less popular a game is, the less any other factor has an influence - a game with only 10 owners, will be a 10% plat rarity even if only one person gets the plat) (Any game with less than 500 owners, the rarities are completely disconnected from factors like difficulty)

PS+ Inclusion

(Anything that gets given for free, gets a massive influx of "just trying it out" players who have no interest in the S-Rank / Platinum, making it more rare)

Genre

(genres like Puzzle Games/ Adventure games/ Trivia games and other "cerebral challenge" genres always have very common trophies since guide use trivialises the game, wheres with "dexterity challenge" (FPS / Shmup / Twin-Stick games etc.), guide use doesn't affect it as much)

Time investment / Respect

(anything that is easy, but disrespects the players time (with grind / RNG / Multiple Playthroughs etc), will always be rarer that a tough, but a tight, "no-padding" game)

Buginess

(anything that can glitch / bug out will get rare artificially)

Multiplayer

(anything that has multiplayer will automatically get rarer - especially once servers close)

Lack of Platinum

(anything without a plat tends to be rarer, since some folks don't see the value in pushing through for an S-Rank without a Plat-carrot)

AutoPop / Re-release

(anything with potential PS5 auto pop, (or even just a re-release without it) will be much more common, since a large percentage of the player-base only starts it if they have already done the previous version, and know they can beat it again, or can just auto pop it)

Region

(EU  games are almost always less rare than NA versions,(for reasons that are difficult to quantify, but I suspect is related to the lesser presence of Microsoft, splitting the "hardcore" player base between Xbox and Playstation)... 

...and more obscure regions (JP / HK / GER etc.) will always be more common, since there are far fewer people on the site to whom those are the "native" versions, so most people playing them are doing so as a "stack" after already knowing they can beat another version.

DLC Rarity

(DLC rarity on this site isn't a real value - it's just a made up number via a nonsensical formula, so those rarities are null and void around these parts (unless using Husky's PSNP+ plug-in to correct them)

Additional Devices

Can also be a factor in rarity (PS Move, Aim Controller, VR Headset, Virzoom Bike ect.)

Additional Costs

Lots of DLCs that aren't free will also lead to rarer trophies and microtransactions in a few games(a card game i forgot the name of) are essential for platinum as well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, D-E-U-S-X said:

Additional Costs

Lots of DLCs that aren't free will also lead to rarer trophies and microtransactions in a few games(a card game i forgot the name of) are essential for platinum as well.

Additional costs is quite common in F2P titles resulting in a goldmine of UR. Some examples off the top of my head

Fortnite

If you play the free BR you get given the list but you can't earn a single trophy. You need to buy the save the world game that originally came out IIRC.

Free Realms

Going a bit old school with this one, top to bottom last I looked every trophy was ultra rare. You couldn't earn a single trophy without paid membership and most people who tried it knew damn well this game wasn't worth spending money on xD

DCUO

I remember this being talked about around the same era as Free Realms. Less URs for the plat and takes more time/effort and the games more well revieved than Free Realms but still another case of requiring membership IIRC.

Fantasy Strike

Can earn a decent chunk F2P, but survival modes and I think one for playing a friendly game or something? All require the 'Core Pack'. It's a very easy sub 1% plat you'll see on a fair few UR hunters lists for that very reason.

I do not have any time played of these games/don't have the plats so I can't personally attest to them but I'm friends with a few people who have Fantasy Strike and they tell me it's easy and not long either. I recall seeing a lot of the Free Realms chatter back in the day and with Fortnite it seems quite self explanatory what it entails. So I think my judgements are at least close. 

On 22/12/2022 at 7:27 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

(anything that is easy, but disrespects the players time (with grind / RNG / Multiple Playthroughs etc), will always be rarer that a tough, but a tight, "no-padding" game)

This is always the big one for quite a vast amount of the easier URs out there (in combination with quality). People will generally be more willing to put in significant time and effort doing long games (like JRPGs) or taking on something really difficult and that's reflected in a great deal of seemingly 'difficult' games either not being ultra rare or only having a handful in the 4-5% range. Heck, you often see this with any game with a lot of collectable, the trophy ends up being one of the rarest in some games (even if it's, like, 20%+). Despite there being plenty of collectable guides, people often don't want to waste their time hoovering up 1000 trinkets for example.

A lot of the games where 99% of the list is ultra rare are dreadful games that expect the player to repeat the same task over and over for 10 or 20 hours.

Mayo might be a super common platinum, but if Mayo required 10 hours of switching costumes and tapping I reckon there's a good shout it could have slipped into ultra rare territory (though of course there's the argument it wouldn't have sold as much if it wasn't an easy plat so it might have had too low game owners to be UR)

Some random examples of bad games/not respecting your time getting big rarity off the top of my head include:

Kung Fu Panda Showdown of Legendary Legends

Also subject to PS+ inflation. Haven't played it myself to know full context. The guide suggests 4/10 and 35 hours for a 0.7% plat and 12 or so UR. Friends who have played it tell me probably upwards of 75% of that is repetitive monotonous grind.

In Space We Brawl

There's I think about 4 main stacks (JP have less UR I think?) with at least 10+ in each. Remember seeing one of the threads under its forum saying something about it being one of the worst PS+ games of all time which with a metacritic user score of 4.4 I'm loosely inclined to believe xD. Apparently all you do is grind kills and fire weapons, can be done with multiple controllers or AI.

Space Overlords

3/10 and 17 hours listed on the guide, guide writer suggests the story could take 3-10 (settling on a likely 7 hours). What makes up that other 10? Basically, go to level editor, stick a bunch of buildings effectively where you spawn, load the level, kaboom, pause and retry, loading screen, kaboom etc. etc. for 10 hours. 1.6 user score on metacritic.

You can also look at the %age on Diablo 2 for not respecting people's time. I don't know how it is in its current state, but 99 was an absurd grind. If you wanted to potentially spend 1000 hours in a game it'd probably be much more satisfying to tackle something like Crypt of the Necrodancer rather than monotonously farm XP for hundreds of hours.

• Like 2

Ultra Rares are what you make of them. The reason why I only have 410 of them instead of 700, 800 or 1000 is because I value having fun and having good gameplay above some hard challenge. 

There are several games with “easy” Ultra Rares, that aren’t popular or have really cumbersome trophies. Has nothing to do with actual difficulty because Rarity =/= Difficulty. 

Also, any game that was on PS Plus for free for one month always has rarities drop. Then there are games with very few game owners, that offer up a challenging platinum despite having that 10 - 20 percent average rarity.

On 12/22/2022 at 2:27 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Yeah, there's plenty of easy UR trophies, and plenty of difficult ones that are not UR.

Difficulty is just one factor that can affect rarity, but I tend to find it's one of the least influential factors.

It's always far outweighed by the influence of:

Game Quality

(The better a game is, the less rare it will be generally, as more people keep playing it regardless of difficulty. A "Shit but easy" game will usually be much rarer than a "good but tough" one, since only those who really want the plat will keep going with it, and everyone else will say "fuck this, it's rubbish!")

Trophy List "type"

(A trophy list for a difficult game, but which is a simple list - i.e. one where just playing the game and succeeding will net most trophies, will always be far more common than a list for a very easy game, but one where the trophy requirements are more esoteric) (see Elden Ring, vs. Beyond: Two Souls, for example!)

Popularity

(The less popular a game is, the less any other factor has an influence - a game with only 10 owners, will be a 10% plat rarity even if only one person gets the plat) (Any game with less than 500 owners, the rarities are completely disconnected from factors like difficulty)

PS+ Inclusion

(Anything that gets given for free, gets a massive influx of "just trying it out" players who have no interest in the S-Rank / Platinum, making it more rare)

Genre

(genres like Puzzle Games/ Adventure games/ Trivia games and other "cerebral challenge" genres always have very common trophies since guide use trivialises the game, wheres with "dexterity challenge" (FPS / Shmup / Twin-Stick games etc.), guide use doesn't affect it as much)

Buginess

(anything that can glitch / bug out will get rare artificially)

Multiplayer

(anything that has multiplayer will automatically get rarer - especially once servers close)

Lack of Platinum

(anything without a plat tends to be rarer, since some folks don't see the value in pushing through for an S-Rank without a Plat-carrot)

AutoPop / Re-release

(anything with potential PS5 auto pop, (or even just a re-release without it) will be much more common, since a large percentage of the player-base only starts it if they have already done the previous version, and know they can beat it again, or can just auto pop it)

Region

(EU  games are almost always less rare than NA versions,(for reasons that are difficult to quantify, but I suspect is related to the lesser presence of Microsoft, splitting the "hardcore" player base between Xbox and Playstation)... 

...and more obscure regions (JP / HK / GER etc.) will always be more common, since there are far fewer people on the site to whom those are the "native" versions, so most people playing them are doing so as a "stack" after already knowing they can beat another version.

DLC Rarity

(DLC rarity on this site isn't a real value - it's just a made up number via a nonsensical formula, so those rarities are null and void around these parts (unless using Husky's PSNP+ plug-in to correct them)

Those are added factors but far and away the rarity of a trophy is most driven by difficulty and time/grind.

For the overwhelming majority of games, if I know the difficulty and time needed, I can peg the rarity % very closely.  They are VERY HIGHLY CORRELATED.  There are always a few outliers and the things you mention influence it, but it is around the margins.  

The driving force of a rarity % is difficulty and time.  Secondary factors are the ones you mention like if it’s been on PS Plus,  genre, etc.

• Like 2