How is the game currently? (2023)

Dade728883

The game is quite good except for a couple of missions which are a little annoying. They dramatically improved it from launch.

I, however, did buy the monthly premium service which provides more storage space, private servers and some other benefits. I think without spending the ~$12/month it would be a more cumbersome experience. If you're looking to not spend any money on it, it's going to be less enjoyable. The extra storage space and private servers make a huge difference. Not having to fight over resource points and then having a place to put the resources makes the game much easier.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Komrade_Dusty said:

I think without spending the ~$12/month it would be a more cumbersome experience. If you're looking to not spend any money on it, it's going to be less enjoyable. The extra storage space and private servers make a huge difference. Not having to fight over resource points and then having a place to put the resources makes the game much easier.

I've put 100's of hours into it. I've literally never had another player attack me or felt like other players being around hurt the experience... or had any inventory issues.

On topic though, I really enjoyed it. There's one or two questlines that I wasn't crazy about but I liked the majority of them. Not to mention, Wastelanders might just be one of the best DLC that Bethesda has put out imo. Steel Dawn / Reign were really solid too.

Overall, I definitely had fun with it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

I've put 100's of hours into it. I've literally never had another player attack me or felt like other players being around hurt the experience... or had any inventory issues.

I had quite a bit of problem with griefers. They'd go attack the defenses around one of my resource spots so that I was aggroed and then attack me when I showed up to investigate. It was not fun. I had a much better experience playing on a private server. I think the difference between us would be you put 100s of hours into it and would thus be super powerful. I put in about...120 hours into the game.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Komrade_Dusty said:

I had quite a bit of problem with griefers. They'd go attack the defenses around one of my resource spots so that I was aggroed and then attack me when I showed up to investigate. It was not fun. I had a much better experience playing on a private server. I think the difference between us would be you put 100s of hours into it and would thus be super powerful. I put in about...120 hours into the game.

Maybe that's the difference but I've literally never had another player attack me, even at low levels. The most interaction I've had with other players is when they waved me down with emotes to give me resources lol. That seems to be the experience most people have too. Sounds like you just had some craptastic luck.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Sounds like you just had some craptastic luck.

You can play on pacifist. You can't harm or be harmed other players when this mode is selected. I was level 320 on my old account and never had issues with other players.

• Like 3

I wonder if this is Microsoft plan to show they allow their games on ps plus. 

But either way I say it’s a good game especially for free you can get a lot of hours in this, plus if you love fallout lore it’s nice to do fallout content with friends so makes a nice change being online but also definitely can do solo if that’s your jam. 

have fun 

29 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Maybe that's the difference but I've literally never had another player attack me, even at low levels. The most interaction I've had with other players is when they waved me down with emotes to give me resources lol. That seems to be the experience most people have too. Sounds like you just had some craptastic luck.

Yeah when I started out most people I came across dropped some really nice loot for me 

• Like 1

What about dlcs? On store, I only see a bundle about Pitt dlc, nothing about Wasterlanders or Steel Reign? (I remember seeing a Wastelanders dlc on store which has disappeared) Are they now free/ already included? (and of course still available to play)

Edited by djippps

12 minutes ago, djippps said:

What about dlcs? On store, I only see a bundle about Pitt dlc, nothing about Wasterlanders or Steel Reign? (I remember seeing a Wastelanders dlc on store which has disappeared) Are they now free/ already included? (and of course still available to play)

All of them are free, and still available.

They'll be auto included when you download the game.

• Like 1

Was my top game I played in 2022, went into it expecting to be disappointed but was surprised. The community are the best I’ve ever played with. Once you get your head around the differences from a typical fallout game it’s a brilliant experience that you can sink endless hours into. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HuntingFever said:

For someone like me who despised the beta and had no end of technical problems with this game, have things improved enough since then to change my mind :)?

I'll try to give you a bit more than just a one word answer.

If you despised the beta, I'd say give the game a shot on an ALT first and see how you like the first few hours or so. The basic gameplay hasn't changed much. Be aware that you will need to put some thought into your loadout and build after level 50 or so, since basic weapons stop being that useful.

As for technical problems, I am just shy of 1500 hours played right now (very few of which I spent doing mindless stuff, I don't grind much in this game) and I can tell you the most common glitches I encounter:
-Hard Crashes, happens about once per day when playing for a long time, you can just relaunch the game and join the same server if you were on a team, no progress is usually lost since everything is saved server-side
-NPC dialogue not opening, this usually happens when you just load in or fast travel to a new area, might have to back out of the dialogue window a few times
-Looting no being instant, this happens very, very rarely these days, but if you loot a container and it takes like a second for the items to go into your invetnory, just change servers
-LAG when turning in quests, same as above, if you are on a particurarly bad server, it might take a few seconds for you to get your reward. Having a problem like this isn't all bad since you used to be able to take advantage of it by grinding raider reputation (not sure if this still works or not), but this can be fixed by hopping out of the server and into a new one.
-CAMP problems, the building aspect has been improved, but you sitll might get some occassional nonsense when building decorations such as the game telling you "This item needs support" when you're building it on flat ground. I build a lot though, so you might not encounter this problem.

If you have any questions then feel free to ask, and I hope to see you in Appalachia.

• Like 2

I'm currently playing it, to be more exact, i'm playing it rn. I agreed with all Letenko said. Trophies related, is kinda doable, just a lot of hours needed, but just in case, as we do in every game, I'd try to do the strictly mp trophies asap cuz you never know when ppl will stop playing. But there's a lot of ppl still, you can pass by a lvl 10 as well as a lvl 1563. And in terms of liking it or not, is not fallout 4, not even to mention fallout 3, the mp thing is what made it meh for trophy hunters but as a rpg lover, is good. Some bugs and lag but not much to make you want to burn the game. 

edit: some textures are horribly made

Edited by Puppeter04
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Letenko said:

I'll try to give you a bit more than just a one word answer.

If you despised the beta, I'd say give the game a shot on an ALT first and see how you like the first few hours or so. The basic gameplay hasn't changed much. Be aware that you will need to put some thought into your loadout and build after level 50 or so, since basic weapons stop being that useful.

As for technical problems, I am just shy of 1500 hours played right now (very few of which I spent doing mindless stuff, I don't grind much in this game) and I can tell you the most common glitches I encounter:
-Hard Crashes, happens about once per day when playing for a long time, you can just relaunch the game and join the same server if you were on a team, no progress is usually lost since everything is saved server-side
-NPC dialogue not opening, this usually happens when you just load in or fast travel to a new area, might have to back out of the dialogue window a few times
-Looting no being instant, this happens very, very rarely these days, but if you loot a container and it takes like a second for the items to go into your invetnory, just change servers
-LAG when turning in quests, same as above, if you are on a particurarly bad server, it might take a few seconds for you to get your reward. Having a problem like this isn't all bad since you used to be able to take advantage of it by grinding raider reputation (not sure if this still works or not), but this can be fixed by hopping out of the server and into a new one.
-CAMP problems, the building aspect has been improved, but you sitll might get some occassional nonsense when building decorations such as the game telling you "This item needs support" when you're building it on flat ground. I build a lot though, so you might not encounter this problem.

If you have any questions then feel free to ask, and I hope to see you in Appalachia.

Thank you for the info - I have some additional questions :):

1: How big is the current install? Also, what's the average filesize for the patches?

2: What sort of build is recommended after Lv50? Also, can you respec your character or are your perk choices fixed once you make them?

3: Is it still possible to solo the endgame content if you're at a high enough level or has the game been rebalanced so you have to get a group together to do everything?

4: Is there much in the way of griefing when it comes to the missile silos and nukes being launched indiscriminately?

5: How quickly can the MP/co-op trophies be obtained after leaving Vault 76?

6: What's the best/fastest way to earn a lot of Caps legitimately?

7: Is there a limit to how many characters you can create? I ask, because there's a DLC trophy that requires 1.5 playthroughs to earn and I'd hate to have to delete a maxed out character so I can get it.

8: Have they fixed the glitchy rank trophies yet or are they still buggy?

9: How often do the devs hold x2 XP events?

10: How predatory are the microtransactions?

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

Could you boost the PvP trophies with 2 consoles? I've done this with a few other games with my PS5 / PS4. Could use a private server with main and dummy account for all of them theoretically right? Even the bounty one... just have the dummy account kill you without shooting back and it would bounty that account, then you respawn and kill them. Or are private servers literally only for the solo experience? ?

10 minutes ago, OnuR10Ly said:

I believe they updated it for series x/s ages ago. 

They didn't update it, the game just supports FPS boost which doesn't require a patch or anything. 

This thread makes me want to give F76 a chance actually. I never tried it, all I read about it was how much of a trainwreck it was shortly after release. Seems very playable and possibly quite fun now. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 10:22 AM, KingGuy420 said:

Similar experience. Having played since the beta, PVP is basically non-existent. There's a couple of PVP world events, but even in those people don't attack each other (if there even happens to be another player, which there probably won't because they're off doing their own thing). Because of this, you basically have to boost all the PVP trophies.

Great questions all around.

2 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

1: How big is the current install? Also, what's the average filesize for the patches?

1. 76.44GB as of today. I have it installed on my PS5 for faster loading. For patches, or rather DLC, I think it's about 25GB usually.

2: What sort of build is recommended after Lv50? Also, can you respec your character or are your perk choices fixed once you make them?

2. A lot of builds are viable, so don't think too hard about it for now, the meta however is and always was a "Bloodied Build", where you purposfully lower your max HP and use weapons that have increased damage and armor with damage reductions the lower your health is. I don't enjoy that playstyle as I like to be a tank myself, so I do a full health + full hunger and thirst build. You cna respec your character and have 2 different builds, you cna also purchase extra build slots with Atoms.

3: Is it still possible to solo the endgame content if you're at a high enough level or has the game been rebalanced so you have to get a group together to do everything?

3. You can do the entire game solo, however you won't be killing end-game bosses solo (currently only one, the Scorchbeast Queen is needed for a trophy). Don't sweat it as when each of the bosses are spawned via a nuke launch, it creates an events for the entire server, so you'll usually have lots of support from randoms as they drop great gear. I always try to do these events as they are great even for high level players.

4: Is there much in the way of griefing when it comes to the missile silos and nukes being launched indiscriminately?

4. No. I have seen a nuke target a player's CAMP maybe a handful of times.. not because the community is above it, but when you see that a nuke is targeting your camp you usually change servers so your stuff doesn't get blown up. So people don't spend their resources on this.

5: How quickly can the MP/co-op trophies be obtained after leaving Vault 76?

5. I think the PvP unlocks at level 5, but I am not 100% sure. Nobody does PvP in this game. Level 5 will take you about 2 hours of play if you're REALLY slow.

6: What's the best/fastest way to earn a lot of Caps legitimately?

6. This is too broad, I can tell you that I don't worry about caps too much as there is a carry limit of 40 000. Each day NPC vendors have 1400 caps that you can get by selling them stuff. You can keep repeating this each day, however end-game caps come from having a vendor in your camp selling stuff players want. My best seller is Bobbleheads, Magazines, Rare plans (that I sell cheap) and Screws + Gears.

7: Is there a limit to how many characters you can create? I ask, because there's a DLC trophy that requires 1.5 playthroughs to earn and I'd hate to have to delete a maxed out character so I can get it.

7. There is a limit of how many you can have at one time I think, but not how many you can delete and create. I am sure of this as I have made over 40 when I was grinding for rare outfits.

8: Have they fixed the glitchy rank trophies yet or are they still buggy?

8. I never had anything glitch on me when I played since launch, so I wouldn't know about this. I also never heard any complaints myself, so I really can't tell you.

9: How often do the devs hold x2 XP events?

9. It's about once or twice per season. There is double XP on right now for example, it really helps to gain season ranks and levels overall.

10: How predatory are the microtransactions?

10. They aren't if we're talking buying stuff that's pay to win. 99% of what you buy from the Atom shop is cosmetics. Sometimes thy introduce stuff that creates items in your CAMP, like a coffee machine, fusion core recharger, a bot that collects junk, etc. What could be considered really unfair is with a Fallout 1st subscription (full disclosure, I have one myself) you get a Scrap Box to store ALL your crafting materials so you don't have to use your normal storage for it. (personally this allows me to store an insane amount of all scrap, so I never had to worry about crafting) it also allows you to place a survival tent anywhere in ther world, which acts as a free fast travel spot (you pay caps to fast travel to most locations, otherwise). If your subscription expires then you can take out and use crafting materials form your Scrapbox, but you can't put new ones in.

One thing that I want to be very clear about - as a new player you will have a TON of in-game challenges that award Atoms. They'll practically shower you with Atoms during the start of the game, so if you don't want to spend real money on this, sit on them until you need them.

• Like 3