The Witcher 3 - Battle Preparations (BUG)

SketchyBogan96

I can't complete The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition, the quest Battle Preparations is broken! The quest step is, "Let Avallac'h know everything's ready" but it won't let me talk to Avallac'h, he keeps on saying "yes". I've tried doing the quest in a different order but even that didn't fix it, I even loaded an old save and it didn't fix it. Not sure what to do now. 

INFO

PS5 running on latest firmware 

Game region is EU 

Digital version of game 

2 hours ago, hore said:

Same here. Seems to be a fairly common issue, as I've seen several reddit threads about it.

Reverting to an older save and switching up the subquest order doesn't seem to work for most people, despite 1-2 purports of that working

Yeah, I tried 2 variations so far, and it didn't work. I don't know if CDPR is even aware of the issue. On Twitter, I sent them a video of the bug, but I don't know where else to report it. They haven't replied.

11 hours ago, DreadWwolf said:

Same for me here. How far back did you go?

I reloaded a save right before you go on the boat, to go to Skellige for the second time. 

7 hours ago, DreadWwolf said:

Yeah, I tried 2 variations so far, and it didn't work. I don't know if CDPR is even aware of the issue. On Twitter, I sent them a video of the bug, but I don't know where else to report it. They haven't replied.

You can report it here, scroll down and select "Contact us" https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/witcher-3/playstation/gameplay/issue/1027/contact-to-s

10 hours ago, hore said:

Same here. Seems to be a fairly common issue, as I've seen several reddit threads about it.

Reverting to an older save and switching up the subquest order doesn't seem to work for most people, despite 1-2 purports of that working

I've tried everything but starting a new game, and I refuse to do that. I'm only a few trophies away from the platinum and I can't get it because of this stupid bug! 

9 hours ago, TheCrow4- said:

I reloaded a save right before you go on the boat, to go to Skellige for the second time. 

You can report it here, scroll down and select "Contact us" https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/witcher-3/playstation/gameplay/issue/1027/contact-to-s

Thank you! I just reported it. Hopefully they will do something about it soon.

As far as I know this bug already existed in the past and is not exclusive to the next gen version. I am not 100% sure but I think I had the bug in my "complete edition" playthrough back in 2019 and I somehow managed to make it work afterwards ( I remember redoing all those " battle preparations" subquests and the quest where you convince ge'els to betray eredin). I think there was some kind of trigger you had to avoid but I cant remember it anymore and I also dont find the solution in the internet anymore.

EDIT: I also got that bug in my current playthrough (PS5)

Edited by GoDBoss173

2 hours ago, GoDBoss173 said:

As far as I know this bug already existed in the past and is not exclusive to the next gen version. I am not 100% sure but I think I had the bug in my "complete edition" playthrough back in 2019 and I somehow managed to make it work afterwards ( I remember redoing all those " battle preparations" subquests and the quest where you convince ge'els to betray eredin). I think there was some kind of trigger you had to avoid but I cant remember it anymore and I also dont find the solution in the internet anymore.

EDIT: I also got that bug in my current playthrough (PS5)

I haven't been able to find the solution anywhere. Are you sure you’re not talking about Final Preparations where his door is closed? 

1 hour ago, DreadWwolf said:

I haven't been able to find the solution anywhere. Are you sure you’re not talking about Final Preparations where his door is closed? 

Well, I am not 100% sure but I can remember that I had to replay "sun stone", "child of the elder blood" and "veni vidi vigo" as well and that wouldnt be necessary for the door bug.

That said, I have read some reddit threads and I saw 2-3 guys who claimed to get it to work after reloading a previous safe file ( right before the battle preparation quest)  and doing things differently ( like the order they completed those three main quests) so there must something during those quests that triggers the bug, maybe a wrong quest order combined with certain dialogue. I reloaded a safe file and did it with the same quest order but it didnt help.

The biggest problem about this gamebreaking bug is the fact that it existed for more than 6 years ( I have seen threads from 2016 with people complaining about the same bug) so I wouldnt get me hopes up for a patch.

Edited by GoDBoss173

7 minutes ago, GoDBoss173 said:

Well, I am not 100% sure but I can remember that I had to replay "sun stone", "child of the elder blood" and "veni vidi vigo" as well and that wouldnt be necessary for the door bug.

That said, I have read some reddit threads and I saw 2-3 guys who claimed to get it to work after reloading a previous safe file ( right before the battle preparation quest)  and doing things differently ( like the order they completed those three main quests) so there must something during those quests that triggers the bug, maybe a wrong quest order combined with certain dialogue. I reloaded a safe file and did it with the same quest order but it didnt help.

The biggest problem about this gamebreaking bug is the fact that it existed for more than 6 years ( I have seen threads from 2016 with people complaining about the same bug) so I wouldnt get me hopes up for a patch.

I might try to mess around with the order and dialogue a bit more. I already did 3 combinations but if it's triggered by dialogue than there are more that I could try. It's crazy that they keep getting away with this.

I just noticed something:

When I have the "battle preparations" main quest active and open the map (fast travel)  there is a yellow circle on the novigrad icon claiming that there is still a quest related objective in novigrad. The thing is that as soon as I travel to novigrad there's no quest marker to follow which make sense because the only objective left is "let avallac'h know that everything is ready" ( and the quest doesnt have an objektive tied to novigrad in the first place) and he is on the boat in skellige. So why does it show an objective in skellige AND novigrad?

My guess is that the game thinks for some reasons that there is still something to do in novigrad and therefore doesnt allow you to trigger the final step of the quest ( talking to avallac'h -> completing the quest). I just reloaded a previous safe file and this yellow circle on novigrad is there from the very start of the quest before you even start the other three quests related to " battle preparations".

The "battle preparations" quest starts right after the quest where you convince ge'els to betray eredin. At this point, you are still in novigrad and the first objective of this quest is to take the boat to skellige and thats the ONLY objective you do in novigrad ( all the others are skellige related)  so it seems that the game bugs out when you take the boat to skellige and that the game is already bugged the moment you enter skellige, so even before you do all those other quests ( sun stone, veni vidi vigo, child of the elder blood, skjall's grave)

Edited by GoDBoss173

This sucks big time. It's definitely the 4.00 update that has done it. I never encounted this "bug" on the 3 PS4 versions of the game. I loaded a save from one of them that is on the same mission and was able to talk to Avallac'h. I hope they fix this "game breaking" bug so I can finish the main story and move onto Blood & Wine! It's ludicrous to play Blood & Wine before finishing the main story. #pullyourfingeroutCDPR :)

• 2 weeks later...

I found someone who wrote something interesting, I quote:

"Same issue, tho if i remember correcrly this is a OLD bug. Bassicaly its a stupid big that happens when after killing ilmereth, if you dont immediatly do avalocs quest before triss and yen(finding margarita and philipa) then it causes some weird bug where the game glitches and still registers avaloc at the Inn in novigrad, which js why theres to 2 objective markers on the map -_- only fix is to have a save before starting those missions, other wise it was a full restart."

I just tested this and it worked. After I did the "final preparations" quest in the right order ( avallac'h -> ciri -> triss -> yennefer), I talked to avallac'h on the boat and travelled to skellige. After arriving I noticed that I still had the yellow objective marker on both skellige AND novigrad ( when you open fast travel) so I thought it didnt work at first.

BUT

Right after arriving in skellige ( before you do any of the sub quests related to "battle preparations"), I talked to avallac'h and I was able to start a conversation.

I couldnt remember that conversation so I saved, reloaded my bugged/glitched save file ( the one where I was at the beginning of the quest,) and tried to start the conversation again, but you know what? I couldnt, I already got the infamous "yes" which means that you can check whether your save file is bugged even before you do all the sub quests ( sun stone, veni vidi vago, child of the elder blood). Your save file is already bugged the moment you travel to skellige so the order you do the sub quest for "battle preparations" doesnt matter. The origin of this bug lies in the "final preparations" questline!

Just to be safe, I did those sub quests (battle preparations) in the following order:   child of the elder blood -> visiting skjalls grave -> veni vidi vago -> sunstone

EDIT: It seems there might be other factors contributing to the bug.

Here is a summary of what I did

1. I romanced triss back in novigrad

2. I skipped the side quest with yen and the djinn so I never romanced her -> no " it takes three to tango" quest later on.

3. I skipped the skellige quests related to the "kingmaker" trophy ( quests with cerys and hjalmar)

4. Rushed towards "final preparations" ( only completed the mandatory main quests)

5. Final preparations:   avallac'h -> ciri -> triss -> yen

6. Talk to avallac'h on the boat ( novigrad) and travel to skellige

7. Try to talk to him again after arriving -> Can you start a proper conversation? -> Yes -> you should be fine

-> No ( you get the infamous "yes") -> bugged

8. Just to be safe:  child of the elder blood -> skjall's grave -> veni vivi vago -> sunstone

Edited by GoDBoss173

17 hours ago, GoDBoss173 said:

I found someone who wrote something interesting, I quote:

"Same issue, tho if i remember correcrly this is a OLD bug. Bassicaly its a stupid big that happens when after killing ilmereth, if you dont immediatly do avalocs quest before triss and yen(finding margarita and philipa) then it causes some weird bug where the game glitches and still registers avaloc at the Inn in novigrad, which js why theres to 2 objective markers on the map -_- only fix is to have a save before starting those missions, other wise it was a full restart."

I just tested this and it worked. After I did the "final preparations" quest in the right order ( avallac'h -> ciri -> triss -> yennefer), I talked to avallac'h on the boat and travelled to skellige. After arriving I noticed that I still had the yellow objective marker on both skellige AND novigrad ( when you open fast travel) so I thought it didnt work at first.

BUT

Right after arriving in skellige ( before you do any of the sub quests related to "battle preparations"), I talked to avallac'h and I was able to start a conversation.

I couldnt remember that conversation so I saved, reloaded my bugged/glitched safe file ( the one where I was at the beginning of the quest) and tried to start the conversation again, but you know what? I couldnt, I already got the infamous "yes" which means that you can check whether your safe file is bugged before you do all the sub quests ( sun stone, veni vidi vago, child of the elder blood). Your safe file is already bugged the moment you travel to skellige so the order you do the sub quest for "battle preparations" doesnt matter. The origin of this bug lies in the "final preparations" questline!

Just to be safe, I did those sub quests (battle preparations) in the following order:   child of the elder blood -> visiting skjalls grave -> veni vidi vago -> sunstone

Did you have romance with both Triss and Yennefer? Because I do and then the "It takes three to Tango" quest appears during "Final Preparations" except Avallac'h -> Ciri -> Triss -> Yennefer

I've tried different orders in "Final Preparations" and still every time after arriving at Skellige Avallac'h just says "Yes?"