Assassin's Creed Unity in 2023 (PS5)

poetic_justice_

I agree with most of these... I really don't understand why some people praise this game's parkour and combat for being good and realistic

the parkour is so bad, yes if this was a tech demo the animations are complex and nice, but they are bad for the gameplay. sometimes Arno jumps 20 meters up or forward (very realistic) sometimes he can't jump a meter, sometimes you hold R2 and he goes up sometimes he goes down, sometimes even if you hold R2 + X he goes down and when holding R2 + O he goes up, sometimes you have to hold L2 to enter a window, sometimes he doesn't enter a window even when you hold L2, sometimes he enters a window even if you aren't holding L2 and don't want to enter it, sometimes he can scale a flat wall sometimes he can't scale a wall with decorations

and all the animations are so slow and prolonged

and the combat, again slow and prolonged animations, there is no defense against guns except rolling, which takes you out of the fight, or smoke bombs, which isn't precisely a direct counter to guns and they are limited and there is even more gunmen than before... why can't you grab an enemy as a shield, like in the previous games?

the XP system is completely broken, 90% of the actions you will (have to) perform don't grant you any XP, only finishers grant you XP in open combat, but that means you have to wait about 2 seconds after you defeat an enemy to finish him

stealth kills from cover do reward you with XP, but good luck finding a good hiding spot where the enemies walk around, because there is no whistling and if you try moving from one hiding spot to the other there is a high chance someone will spot you, hidden blade kills also only grant you XP when it's a jump kill

the only saving grace for the XP system is that it's almost pointless, but I wouldn't say that's a good thing

• Like 2

On 24/12/2022 at 8:48 AM, DaivRules said:

So is the TLDR: AC Unity PS4 version is still a buggy mess (aka an AC game) on PS5 and you don’t recommend it?

I think a huge part of the (excellent) OP was to highlight that Unity's problems go beyond bugs which is all too often scapegoated for what is essentially a terrible game by itself.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 24-12-2022 at 9:48 AM, DaivRules said:

So is the TLDR: AC Unity PS4 version is still a buggy mess (aka an AC game) on PS5 and you don’t recommend it?

Which is massively exaggerated... I bought a used copy of this game yéars ago but I never started it, mostly due to all those bad critics. I just now played it start to finish over the last 5-6 weeks, it's ok... it's by far not anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. It's your standard AC games with too much collectables & at times annoying/ilogical free running but doesn't that sum up every other AC game as well?

I mean: yes, there's way too many of those locked chests to lockpick, sometimes lock behind doors which you have to lockpick first, in addition most seem to be guarded. But compared to Origins for example where you had to complete every... single... location... on the map I ask: was this really soo much worse? (It wasn't). Coming directly of from Odyssey I admit the controls took a bit to get used to but once you dig into the game you set into it.

Sure, there is sóme bugs left & right: the game crashed about 2-3 times during my playthrough, which is no different from most other games you spend 50hours in. I also fell through the map 2 or 3 times and then experienced some other quirkiness but it's not like it one massive bug fest, far from it.

The only thing that kinda bugged me was the story and more specifically some charachters. Most of em were just forgettable and the guy playing your mentor must've been the biggest douche I've every encountered in an AC game... that includes all antagonists from other games. Arno himself was okish, kind of one-dimensional but the relationship between Arno & Elise works imo. Although in 2023 it would be my understanding that this is all a bit too heterohomogeneous for some people...

Honestly just from reading the first few alinea's of OP it seems to me like this is much more about personal/work/RL issues then it is about the game on it's own.

It's not a perfect game, far from it, but if you've already got it stashed in your backlog, by all means: give it go.

Edited by ReverzEffect
Gramatical correction

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2022 at 1:26 AM, Silver-I-Chariot said:

Nice rant but I don't remember any of these issues except boring story and too many collectibles. Other than that, it's your typical AC game.

"I don't remember these difficulties, so I'll disregard their existence" is a common reaction to AC Unity and other substandard gaming experiences. I get that. I understand seeing no value in trying to remember an unpleasant experience, and instead moving on to something more enjoyable. However, it is important to recognize this reaction is a subjective recollection, not an objective assessment. The inability to fully remember an event does not invalidate the existence of that event. For example, how many of us remember the day of our birth? Just because we don't remember the difficulties of that day doesn't mean they did not occur. Subjective recollection does not alter facts, only our perception (or inability to perceive and recall) facts. I am not criticizing the post, only clarifying that it is a subjective recollection. The gameplay deficits of AC Unity are facts. 

The other takeaway is you didn't seem to enjoy the game and have a neutral opinion of AC Unity.

On 5/24/2023 at 1:20 AM, RedDevil757 said:

I played this on PS5 and had zero issues. I also thought the combat was great once you got used to it.

[Sorry for the bold font. I'm copying and pasting from an app that is mildly incompatible with PSNP formatting.]

https://psnprofiles.com/RedDevil757?search=Assassin%27s 

RedDevil757, you made two statements worth addressing.

1. ZERO ISSUES ON PS5: In regards to the claim that you experienced zero issues playing Unity on the PS5, you neglected to mention you played a large percentage of the game on PS4. From July 2019 through September 2020, you played approximately 70% of the campaign (Sequences 1-9) on the PS4. The PS5 was not released until November 2020. If you only played 30% of the campaign on the PS5, mathematically it makes sense you would experience fewer to no PS5 issues. You were playing the campaign on a PS5 for 70% less time than someone playing 100% of the campaign on a PS5. This 70% figure is an estimate, as it is unclear what percentage of the 521 collectibles, 18 Nostradamus Enigmas, 8 co-op missions, and other side activities you completed by September 2020. However, if you finished 40%, 50%, or 60% of Unity on the PS4, you played 40%, 50%, or 60% less time on your PS5. Not only were you were extremely fortunate, but the implications of this “zero issue” claim are misleading. A person who spends 100% of their time playing Unity on a PS5 should not expect similar results. 

2. “GREAT COMBAT”: Unity has no ability to disarm, loss of parry visuals, ineffective smoke bombs, ineffective cherry bombs, weak poison gas, only two berserk darts, unable to pick up enemy weapons, broken/ineffective cover system, OP snipers, and buggy combat that causes players to lose control of Arno. Unity removed foundational combat mechanics introduced in previous AC titles, broke or nerfed other mechanics, and your response is “Great combat!” What specifically is so great about it?

Edited by poetic_justice_
  • Like 2

I enjoyed the gameplay, open world and progression system quite a lot and got the platinum trophy and DLC trophies on PS4. Has no more bugs than the average open world game. It's a good game. More interesting than the RPG ones of recent years and improves on the parkour from the previous game being black flag which is a bit more clunky. This is a bit more fluid as you can climb down buildings more easily and it just feels more responsive. They also added the crouch button so stealth is better and the addition of the black box missions which are very enjoyable as well as large crowds and very cool animations and a bit better combat system. The weakest part is the protagonist and insignificant story and the number of chests you have to open to get the platinum. It did also add those rift missions which took place in different time periods which was new and a really nice addition. It also has a fantastic soundtrack 

Edited by olliebear66t
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, poetic_justice_ said:

1. ZERO ISSUES ON PS5: In regards to the claim that you experienced zero issues playing Unity on the PS5, you neglected to mention you played a large percentage of the game on PS4. From July 2019 through September 2020, you played approximately 70% of the campaign (Sequences 1-9) on the PS4. The PS5 was not released until November 2020. If you only played 30% of the campaign on the PS5, mathematically it makes sense you would experience fewer to no PS5 issues. You were playing the campaign on a PS5 for 70% less time than someone playing 100% of the campaign on a PS5. This 70% figure is an estimate, as it is unclear what percentage of the 521 collectibles, 18 Nostradamus Enigmas, 8 co-op missions, and other side activities you completed by September 2020. However, if you finished 40%, 50%, or 60% of Unity on the PS4, you played 40%, 50%, or 60% less time on your PS5. Not only were you were extremely fortunate, but the implications of this “zero issue” claim are misleading. A person who spends 100% of their time playing Unity on a PS5 should not expect similar results. 

2. “GREAT COMBAT”: Unity has no ability to disarm, loss of parry visuals, ineffective smoke bombs, ineffective cherry bombs, weak poison gas, only two berserk darts, unable to pick up enemy weapons, broken/ineffective cover system, OP snipers, and buggy combat that causes players to lose control of Arno. Unity removed foundational combat mechanics introduced in previous AC titles, broke or nerfed other mechanics, and your response is “Great combat!” What specifically is so great about it?

You must be really mad at this game..

So I never owned a PS4, I played 100% on PS5 in 2021 and I can tell you, I had 0 issues and my bombs worked fine all the time. I used the poison gas a lot, I found it very useful.

I never minded the amount of upgrades, I find combat to be considerably easier even without a lot of them.

It's not the best game in the series and it's a little clumsy at times but, it's a good game.

Hope you can find peace.

Edited by giinha
  • Like 3

I played Assassin's Creed games back to back and I have to say Unity was different enough to be enjoyable in this mess of a game series. 

It was cool to have new movement animations. Cool new ways to parkour.

Takes a bit getting used to but I liked it.

Combat wasn't braindead easy from the start. I don't know what anyone likes about combat in old AC's. Just becouse there were many options in previous ones don't change fastest and BEST way to fight through every encounter was R2 Square when enemy attacked. Dissarming (with same prompts lol) and 1 hit kill afterwards is same thing for me.

Playing any other way is just inefficient and that is biggest design flaw in all games.

Try just standing in Brotherhood in combat doing nothing. It takes them 1 minute to kill you if you have 3/4 upgrades. Literal minutes if you use one of your 25(?) heals. Just standing doing nothing, it's so funny. Jumping to death is only way to die/lose health in these games.

Stealth is now a thing. Play again AC brotherhood stealth missions and let's have a talk about Unity again.

Street crowd is huge. Haven't seen crowds on this scale since. Game looks better then previous ones and next ones. That's a fact

Story was bad (like in any AC game, sorry not sorry) just slightly worse then other games.

AC is fast and furious of video games. Series just too good at making money to tell a story. Even main character dying is not going to stopping franchise to be milked.

Any AC has massive ammounts of collectibles. Number of them means nothing (in any game). Only important stat is how many per hour of gameplay can you pick up. I don't care if it has 400 or 1000 when it is still faster then getting all of them in black flag. 

Co-op was fun. For sure better then old games multiplayer grind.

DLC was free making this one of cheapest AC to 100%

Im sure now games plays better then it used to. Many of issues have been fixed.

Not my favourite one but not least favourite either

Edited by WiktorM101

The REAL tl;dr if you really want to play AC Unity in 2023 play it on Xbox Series X with FPS Boost, it's still AC Unity though so your enjoyment may very ? all the issues listed were not issues imo they just wanted to make a different game with different elements (not saying it worked or not, but don't go in expecting PS3 Era AC, even AC 4 Black Flag was technically PS3 Era, more so Cross Gen but you get what I mean ?‍♂️)

Coming back to this, I now just finished AC Liberation Remastered... if you think AC Unity is the worst game in the series, you have never played Liberation, that's for sure. Liberation is my worst experience with the series, that includes the tech demo that was ACI...

I have played most of the AC games except for: Rogue, Syndicate & Valhalla... Unity isn't the worst game in the series, that's for sure. It's unpolished yes, but not bad.

• Like 1

Liberation is definitely the worst in the series  (if you don't count any of the side scrollers) but putting it in the conversation is a bit unfair since it originally started as a PS vita game and is, when all is said and done, an expansion for Assassin's Creed III. 

I would say Unity is, objectively speaking, the worst AC game because it's clearly unfinished... but Valhalla is my personal least favourite because it just doesn't feel like an AC game.

I absolutely adore Assassin's Creed 1 because of its tech demo feel. It's perhaps the only AC game made with a degree of innocence since the higher-ups hadn't had the marketing feedback to follow a bunch of current trends - which seems to be all Ubisoft does now.

I just have to say this is one of the most epic posts I've seen on PSNP. I haven't played Unity but plan to. I wanted to do the one two punch of Unity and Syndicate. 

I'm glad to hear ppl hate liberation more than Unity, because I platinumed Liberation, and while totally forgettable, I don't remember being in hell while playing, so Unity will probably be just fine. 

9 hours ago, Startyde said:

I just have to say this is one of the most epic posts I've seen on PSNP. I haven't played Unity but plan to. I wanted to do the one two punch of Unity and Syndicate. 

I'm glad to hear ppl hate liberation more than Unity, because I platinumed Liberation, and while totally forgettable, I don't remember being in hell while playing, so Unity will probably be just fine. 

hmmm not to be negative but I wouldn't say you're out of the woods yet.

Liberation is short and easy which is a small mercy for an otherwise bad game so it probably didn't last long enough to truly irritate you. Unity is bad, bloated and considerably more challenging than Liberation. It has a really great opening but drops in quality shortly after credits, especially the story.

Funnily enough, Unity was my first ever platinum (yuck) and I got it completely by accident as a non trophy hunter back then. This was back in the days when I was a massive, almost die-hard AC fan who would 100% every game in the series regardless of its quality because even a bad AC game was still an AC game, right? I got it by accident because, looking back on the trophies, they're either story related or just require you to 100% literally everything or they require you to do things that you are highly likely to do by just playing the game efficiently anyway.  That's how unimaginative its trophy list is and, unless you are a die-hard fan who just lives to 100% every AC game, then prepare for a very unpleasant grind.

Again, don't mean to be negative just trying to set your expectations. Who knows? You may even end up enjoying it. It has seen a resurgence within the AC community of late (undoubtedly from those looking back with rose-tinted glasses). Good luck!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Startyde said:

Just to ensure it's known that Unity isn't universally disliked....

...I've played every AC game except for Valhalla, and Unity is probably my favourite of the lot. ?

Granted, I played it long after all the bugs were fixed, and I played in French, with English subtitles, so some of the ham-fistedness of the dialogue that some folks complained about were largely lost on me...

...but I think it's one of the best cities they ever did, and I thought the parkour changes were fun. 

For me, the best ones are Unity, Odyssey, Brotherhood and Revelations

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Just to ensure it's known that Unity isn't universally disliked....

...I've played every AC game except for Valhalla, and Unity is probably my favourite of the lot. 1f602.png

Granted, I played it long after all the bugs were fixed, and I played in French, with English subtitles, so some of the ham-fistedness of the dialogue that some folks complained about were largely lost on me...

...but I think it's one of the best cities they ever did, and I thought the parkour changes were fun. 

For me, the best ones are Unity, Odyssey, Brotherhood and Revelations

I played Unity at launch and didn’t experience any bugs in single player outside of the usual NPC oddities (multiplayer was a different story). The performance was definitely bad. It rarely held at 30fps but I wasn't as fussed about frame rate then so could tolerate it.  In fact, I really wish that it had launched without the bugs many experienced as the technical issues all too often overshadow the main problems. The dialogue wasn't too bad IMO (outside of the accents which I'll get to later) but the story had so much missed potential.

On paper, a love story about an assassin boy and a templar girl writes itself but it was never really the central conflict, despite Ubisoft marketing it as such. Rather, the campaign is just a generic revenge tale where the assassin's relationship with this templar is never in doubt because he just goes wherever she goes no matter what. Arno essentially just uses the Brotherhood as vehicle to get his revenge and doesn't really believe in the creed. It's just convenient that the main villain just so happens to be a templar as well. The story also has the same problem that Origins has where you're clearly playing as the wrong character (but given Ubisoft's behind-the-scenes attitudes towards women it's easy to see why).

You mentioned Paris, itself, which I think we can agree is still a graphical powerhouse for a game that was released in 2014.... which makes it even worse that the city is so poorly utilised. I feel like the story Ubisoft decided to tell could have taken place in any time period whereas the older games did a masterful job of weaving history, story and lore together. Paris just feels like a beautiful backdrop. The game has other issues that I won’t go into because my rant would probably be even longer than the OP’s lol.

I feel like everything Unity tried to do Syndicate did better which renders it obsolete, and it’s the only AC game I haven’t beaten more than once. I have attempted to replay it twice, including a third time on the PS5 just to see if that fixed the frame rate (it does. It’s now a locked 30) and, like you, also in French (with English subtitles) because the occasional French word said in West Country accents was even cringier on a repeat playthrough...and I still couldn’t get through it. 

It’s worth noting that it was the first Assassin’s Creed game to truly disappoint me so replaying it just brought back unpleasant memories. At the time it was marketed as a “return to the roots” that took inspiration from Assassin’s Creed 1 (sound familiar?) after the pirate simulator that was Black Flag. Its trailers were also amazing and seemed to reflect that promise. In reality, all it showed is that you can “return to the roots” of anything and still completely miss the point. (Black Flag was actually a far better game despite being a testing ground for Ubisoft to see if they could get away with making an Assassin’s Creed game without having you play as an assassin.)

I have Ubisoft + so I plan on attempting Unity again on my series X. At least then I’d get the 60fps boost and a chance to consciously go for achievements…but it will likely be my last attempt to replay it. I didn’t like Revelations at the time either but came around when I replayed on Playstation. I think it was the nostalgia factor because I loved Ezio. I also avoided the den defence missions where possible...

Agreed about Brotherhood and Odyssey though. Brotherhood is tied with AC II as my favourite and I love Odyssey (which gets me a lot of crap from the old school fans haha).

Edited by Vault-TecPhantom
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

in on my series X. At least then I’d get the 60fps boost and a chance to consciously go for achievements…but it will likely be my last attempt to replay it. I didn’t like Revelations at the time either but came around when I replayed on Playstation. I think it was the nostalgia factor because I loved Ezio. I also avoided the den defence missions where possible...

haha - we agree on those den defence missions - those were rubbish! 

I loved Constantinople as a location though - I tend to pretty much think the location is the most important factor for an AC game - even more so than the actual story, since I'll be spending so much time in a place!

I did like the older Ezio though - the narrative having him as the sort of "playboy" who grew up, and is still a charmer, but also world-weary was a character I dug a lot more than when he was younger, and kind of just Italian Nathan Drake of his day ?

2 minutes ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Agreed about Brotherhood and Odyssey though. Brotherhood is tied with AC II as my favourite and I love Odyssey (which gets me a lot of crap from the old school fans haha).

Odyssey is a great game - I like Origins fine, but much preferred exploring Greece to exploring Egypt, and I thought Kassandra was one of the best characters the series has had since Ezio (and Avaline, though her character was trapped in a less good game.) 

I do prefer the old AC styler to the new stuff, but if I'm gonna play that new stuff, Odyssey is a pretty damned good way to play it!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

haha - we agree on those den defence missions - those were rubbish! 

I loved Constantinople as a location though - I tend to pretty much think the location is the most important factor for an AC game - even more so than the actual story, since I'll be spending so much time in a place!

I did like the older Ezio though - the narrative having him as the sort of "playboy" who grew up, and is still a charmer, but also world-weary was a character I dug a lot more than when he was younger, and kind of just Italian Nathan Drake of his day 1f602.png

Odyssey is a great game - I like Origins fine, but much preferred exploring Greece to exploring Egypt, and I thought Kassandra was one of the best characters the series has had since Ezio (and Avaline, though her character was trapped in a less good game.) 

I do prefer the old AC styler to the new stuff, but if I'm gonna play that new stuff, Odyssey is a pretty damned good way to play it!

What made me laugh about the den defence missions is that if you fail them it makes you do an activity that's way more fun than the den defence, i.e. you get to just go in and assassinate the leader. They turned the Borgia liberation activities from Brotherhood into a fail state in Revelations lol 

Old man Ezio is also my favourite version of him for the very reason that you stated. (I also like the way the NPCs react when he's climbing because they comment on him being too old to do such silliness ?)  One of the greatest video game character arcs. Have you watched the short film, 'Embers'? It's canon to the series and brings Ezio's story to a close in a beautiful way.

Kassandra is my second favourite after Ezio. I like Origins (and it looks great in 60fps) but love and prefer Odyssey as well. In fact, it was through Odyssey that I discovered that I can tolerate deviation from the series roots if the game produced is ultimately fantastic, and I'd put Odyssey right up there with Brotherhood and AC II, maybe even slightly above AC 1 (which I'm in the vocal minority of liking). 

• Like 2

The purpose of the original post was a warning. Whether a person is a die-hard AC fan, a casual AC fan, or a rugged individualist who is going to play Unity regardless of anyone else’s opinion, taking ten minutes to read the original post might prevent someone from making a significant mistake. Investing fifty-five to seventy hours into Unity has no real payoff. The longer Unity is played, the more apparent its deficits become. For myself and every gamer I personally know, our gaming time is limited and too precious to waste on a game that has as many deficits as Unity. Playing on a PS5 does not fix these underlying issues. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Other people regard Unity favorably. The responses from giinha (“I never minded the amount of upgrades, I find combat to be considerably easier even without a lot of them”) and WiktorM101  (“It was cool to have new movement animations. Cool new ways to parkour. Takes a bit getting used to but I liked it”) explained why they enjoyed Unity’s combat and new parkour. Thank you both for sharing that. I am happy you found enjoyment in Unity.

One thing I appreciate in both of your responses is an acknowledgment of facts. Giinha acknowledged the combat options are stripped down. WiktorM101 recognized that parkour is different than other AC games and “takes a bit getting used to it”. 

As DrBloodMoney pointed out, Unity is not universally hated. Metacritic scores for the game have more positives than negatives. However, people in favor of the game often highlight 1-3 aspects of the game that create a positive impression and little else. 

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/assassins-creed-unity 

Reading these reviews, I get the impression that most of the positive reviews are written by casual gamers, not people who completed the platinum. Most of the positive reviews also contain no mention of glaring negatives that, for me, ruined the game as a whole: 

• The horribly designed Tournament. 
  • The failure of any four-player co-op missions to scale for single player. 
  • The confusing 18 Nostradamus Enigmas. 
  • The utter tedium of lockpicking and the hundreds of times it must be done. 
  • 521 collectables. 
  • Nerfed combat options. 
  • Awkward parkour that has a learning curve. 
  • Arno’s “sticky hands.” 
  • Numerous bugs. 

The combination of these factors will be experienced for dozens of hours if one chooses to pursue Unity’s platinum. Unless players can find enjoyment in them (or in spite of them), as was the case for giinha, WiktorM101, and DrBloodMoney, Unity’s platinum will be a tedious slog.

Unity’s last update, Patch 1.5.0, was released on February 18, 2015, leaving the game in its current state. People claiming “It’s better now” are providing misinformation. For Playstation gamers, Unity has not improved in 8 years. This is a fact. Xbox X/S got a 60fps update, not Playstation. Microsoft created the update, not Ubisoft. Neither Ubisoft nor Sony have plans to create a similar update or Playstation. Even if either company did a graphical update, it would not change numerous deficits that are part of Unity’s core mechanics. 

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015/02/assassins_creed_unitys_newest_patch_means_no_more_using_apps_and_sites_to_unlock_contentn 

Syndicate, not Unity, received an update (Update 1.5.3) on February 23, 2023. This update resolved screen flickering for the PS5. Perhaps people confused Syndicate with Unity and assumed Unity received a Playstation 5 update, but this is not the case.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2023/02/assassins-creed-syndicate-patch-finally-fixes-ps5-flickering-issue-out-now 

I want to help the community. Providing facts that an undecided gamer could research and consider is one way to do that. The OP is a warning. Is my opinion included? Absolutely. However, you can check my claims against the facts and sources provided. I am more interested in gamers having the resources necessary to make an informed decision than in people sharing my opinion. People can argue opinions all day, but in the end, only you can decide if Unity is worth 55-75 hours of your life. For most people, I don’t believe it is. If possible, I would like to warn people away from an experience they will regret

It's been more than 8 years since I played the game so I don't really remember much about it aside from the setting, but I don't remember disliking it as much as you seem to have. Much of what you describe negatively could be attributed to any of the pre-Origins AC games, with wonky parkour mechanics and ridiculous amounts of collectibles being a pretty much universal thing in the series. You raise many good points, and your original post was very detailed and well written, so no criticism there.

As far as Unity not including certain mechanics from Black Flag or Freedom Cry, keep in mind that it was released at a time when AC games were an annual thing, so a game like Unity which was released in 2014 would have been in development for 2-3 years prior, and would have had it's story and core mechanics locked in before the release of Black Flag or the other games that included significant amounts of naval travel and combat. This is likely why Syndicate didn't include this either, since all of the games released in the 2013-2015 window (and they were really cranking them out during that time period) would have been developed in parallel by teams at different Ubisoft studios, as opposed to being developed sequentially and inheriting the best parts of their predecessors. If I recall correctly, after Rogue the next game in the series to include ships and ship combat was Origins, which released in 2017. It's been a regular feature of new AC games since then.

I've got Platinum in all the main AC games except for Valhalla and Rogue Remastered (which I am currently playing), and playing Rogue in 2023 reminds me of the bad old days in many ways. Wonky parkour, Shay going the wrong way or climbing the wrong thing or jumping off a tower to his death instead of just dropping down to the next handhold, the modern-day Abstergo stuff which I always found to be an annoying interruption to the gameplay loop, stupid amounts of post-story cleanup where the amount of time I spend removing icons from the map will probably exceed the amount of time I spent on the rather short story, etc. While I enjoy the series as a whole, there's a lot about it I don't miss in the newer games, and playing Rogue is reminding me of the things I disliked about the older games in many ways.

That said, if you liked Black Flag and Freedom Cry you might like Rogue since it includes a ton of naval combat and sailing around doing "not a pirate" things, as well as having the same general gameplay mechanics as the other games released around that time.

I'm hoping that Ubisoft will find some sort of balance between the old games and the new ones with AC Mirage.