Online doable for slower connections?

AJ_Radio

A few years back I moved to a new area after my previous area had absolutely horrible internet. Unfortunately being a little out of town I’m limited in what I can do, so I’ve purposely avoided games like Destiny with a heavy emphasis on online. 

Red Dead Redemption 1 is probably in my top 10 games of all time. Naturally I wanted a sequel for years. Years later RDR2 still draws a sizable audience. 

If the online is anything like RDR1 then I can grab some of the online trophies solo. GTA Online has content you can do on your own as well so I assume it’s the same here. Don’t know how the trophies that require others will fare, I can always boost if preferable. 

I won’t pick this up for a while. RDR2 occasionally shows up cheap on eBay which is far cheaper than what the PS Store is selling. The big drawback is my OG console since RDR2 surely runs far better on a PS5. 

The single player and multiplayer have both changed a lot since the games initial release. As I understand, RDR2 has some of the best graphics seen on a PS4 and the file size is pretty big (over 80 GBs), which may have an effect in online lobbies since my internet is still a little crappy. 

Is the online pretty doable for lesser connections?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

Is the online pretty doable for lesser connections?

Hey AJ, Merry Christmas.

I live in the countryside and only got fibre optic this year. I never tried the RDR2 MP until a few months ago, so unfortunately I can't comment on how it will play for you.

However, if you go into the network settings and change the MTU to 800, this "emulates" (for want of a better term) having a rubbish Internet connection. Doing this puts you into your own permanent private lobby because the game "thinks" your Internet connection is too poor to play with other people.

I did this for most of the time I played this MP to get the majority of the trophies, mostly because 

11 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Last time I was there, there were a lot of griefers. Unsure if that’s still the case.

MidnightDragon is 100% correct, playing the game with other players was hell in general (although I did have a few good encounters with people on occasion).

The single player is one of the best games ever made, so you should get it anyway. The MP was surprisingly quick to get all the trophies for (if you choose the Collector role, you can get to Level 50 pretty fast playing in your own private server and if you use the Collector's map here - https://madamnazar.io/maps).

As for PS4 performance, it's fine (although I'm sure a PS5 would be better). I think my PS4 is having problems and I often get the "F15 afterburner" thing going with the fans when I play this game, but it didn't use to do that.

Anyway, hope this helps.

• Like 1

There's only 2 trophies that require another player to help you, "Strength in Numbers" and "All's Fair". The first you could probably do by inviting any random in the open world, but you're definitely gonna want a helper for the second anyway. Don't party up inside the game for that, but make sure you have each other friended outside the game so you can hop on the same server (session) after he accepts the quest, cause the game has a tendency of server swapping you after doing so. Also make sure you both have formed your own posse, you don't actually need a second player in each posse for it to count.

Easiest way to hit level 50 is picking the Collector role, opening the interactive map that shows all the collectibles for the day, and grinding away, I think it should be about a 15 hour grind split over 4 days if you're picking everything up, no interaction with others required.

There are a couple trophies that require you to participate in competitive modes, but other than getting 3 MVPs, everything else only requires participation. Now how you're gonna get those MVPs with a slow connection, that's another story.

• Like 1

The biggest issue is that unlike the 1st RDR and GTAV, this game doesn't have private lobbies. You are stuck in public. This has been an issue of contention since it was released. It's possible that's changed, but when I last checked last summer that was still the case, and I don't see them changing it this late in the games lifecycle. 

Edit: I have shit internet, and it's run fine when I've jumped online (Which has only been to collect rewards, F playing with the public)

Edited by Floorkiller74
  • Like 1

I did the online portion not long ago and the connection was fine the problem was the griefers, you can't have a private session so most of the time I was minding my own business and some mf would come along and kill my horse for funsies, or this other time a random joined my posse to find where I was just to kill me and then camped in front of the guest giver because why not, Valentine is off limits since theres always chaos there, and the defensive mode does jackshit, the online didn't take long but I swear it was one of the most miserable experiences I had in a  game.

Edited by Sunnyburrito
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, baboon_overlord said:

Hey AJ, Merry Christmas.

I live in the countryside and only got fibre optic this year. I never tried the RDR2 MP until a few months ago, so unfortunately I can't comment on how it will play for you.

However, if you go into the network settings and change the MTU to 800, this "emulates" (for want of a better term) having a rubbish Internet connection. Doing this puts you into your own permanent private lobby because the game "thinks" your Internet connection is too poor to play with other people.

I'll have to try this. Learned something new today.

9 hours ago, baboon_overlord said:

The single player is one of the best games ever made, so you should get it anyway. The MP was surprisingly quick to get all the trophies for (if you choose the Collector role, you can get to Level 50 pretty fast playing in your own private server and if you use the Collector's map here - https://madamnazar.io/maps).

As for PS4 performance, it's fine (although I'm sure a PS5 would be better). I think my PS4 is having problems and I often get the "F15 afterburner" thing going with the fans when I play this game, but it didn't use to do that.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Even if I will never get the platinum I would pick this game up anyway. Always loved the old American West, especially if older people in your childhood exposed you to classics like The Wild Bunch and other old movies growing up. The number of cultural references and easter eggs is insane.

I already applied thermal paste to my PS4 and it is a night and day difference. PS5 is obviously better, but can't afford to buy one, and probably not for a while.

9 hours ago, NamoPh said:

There are a couple trophies that require you to participate in competitive modes, but other than getting 3 MVPs, everything else only requires participation. Now how you're gonna get those MVPs with a slow connection, that's another story.

Is it possible to do Free for All competitive matches with just two players, or am I missing something?

9 hours ago, Floorkiller74 said:

The biggest issue is that unlike the 1st RDR and GTAV, this game doesn't have private lobbies. You are stuck in public. This has been an issue of contention since it was released. It's possible that's changed, but when I last checked last summer that was still the case, and I don't see them changing it this late in the games lifecycle. 

Edit: I have shit internet, and it's run fine when I've jumped online (Which has only been to collect rewards, F playing with the public)

Damn, I always liked private lobbies. Public can be pretty awful, believe me, I played GTA Online on release.

7 hours ago, Sunnyburrito said:

I did the online portion not long ago and the connection was fine the problem was the griefers, you can't have a private session so most of the time I was minding my own business and some mf would come along and kill my horse for funsies, or this other time a random joined my posse to find where I was just to kill me and then camped in front of the guest giver because why not, Valentine is off limits since theres always chaos there, and the defensive mode does jackshit, the online didn't take long but I swear it was one of the most miserable experiences I had in a  game.

Everyone tells me RDR2 Online isn't as exciting as RDR1 Online back in the day was.

7 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

My connection wasn't the best, but I was able to get it done to answer your question. The idiot at R* who decided not allowing private servers was a good idea should be fired.

This. Private lobbies should be a thing.

7 hours ago, zizimonster said:

I believe what matters most in multiplayer games is your internet latency aka ping, not speed. So, even if your internet isn't that fast (speed-wise), you'll be fine if you have low latency internet (the lower, the better). :hmm:

50 ms or lower is preferable. Having 100 ms or above usually means you have a shitty internet connection anyway. I've been out in the boonies and used grandmothers internet before, so I know how terrible it is.

• Like 2

On 26/12/2022 at 2:39 AM, Sunnyburrito said:

You can have your own private lobby using the MTU trick I wrote about above, It was such a blessed relief no to have to put up with the BS once I found that out, I could just get on with grinding in peace. I should clarify, you will be completely on your own and can't invite friends (I wonder if the game is really even "online" in this "mode", except to update the server with your inventory and stats). Sorry you didn't know about it and had to put up with....trying desperately to avoid other people as much as possible in a MULTIPLAYER game! GG Rockstar.

On 26/12/2022 at 1:17 AM, Floorkiller74 said:

F playing with the public)

LOL. I'm glad it wasn't just me who had these problems. Now I've finished it, I can confidently say I am never going to play the MP again. 

Edited by baboon_overlord
  • Like 2

On 12/26/2022 at 11:33 AM, AJ_Radio said:

Is it possible to do Free for All competitive matches with just two players, or am I missing something?

The trophy specifically states that there need to be at least 4 people, and as far as I'm aware matches can only be launched through the game's matchmaking.

Silver lining is that the game has a special rotating Rockstar playlist that disables your loadout in favour of giving everyone a default one, and that's the only playlist where you won't be in a massive disadvantage against the loadouts veterans have. You just need to pray there's a mode you're apt with currently in rotation, and then spam it so that you can get 3 MVPs before it rotates out.

The one that worked best for me is the team mode where you need to bring loot bags back to your base. In order to get MVP you need to be in the winning team, and be the one in your team who captured the most lootbags. So you need to be running all the time to grab those bags, and pray your teammates are competent enough to keep the opponents dead.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NamoPh said:

The trophy specifically states that there need to be at least 4 people, and as far as I'm aware matches can only be launched through the game's matchmaking.

Silver lining is that the game has a special rotating Rockstar playlist that disables your loadout in favour of giving everyone a default one, and that's the only playlist where you won't be in a massive disadvantage against the loadouts veterans have. You just need to pray there's a mode you're apt with currently in rotation, and then spam it so that you can get 3 MVPs before it rotates out.

The one that worked best for me is the team mode where you need to bring loot bags back to your base. In order to get MVP you need to be in the winning team, and be the one in your team who captured the most lootbags. So you need to be running all the time to grab those bags, and pray your teammates are competent enough to keep the opponents dead.

There’s always boosting when available. 

Online isn’t as bad as the first game in regards to trophies. I just hope my internet can handle it.

• 2 months later...