Kevvik’s 2022 Gaming Journey

Kevvik

So, it’s been a busy year. The 2020/2021 were tough years for me (even not counting COVID) and at one point I didn’t game for almost year as I just couldn’t focus on it. Towards the end of 2021, I was doing a bit better but didn’t play much asides from LEGO and POWGI puzzle games.  So I gave myself a few challenges for 2022. 

Most were straightforward, reduce unearned trophies, reduce incomplete games, bring up my completion rate and lower my trophy rarity. Less common was specifically to reduce the unearned trophies and incomplete games from those that I had played as part of the Kill Your Completion events over the years.

The most difficult for me would to complete an A-Z + # game list for both games with a platinum and for games without a platinum. The only qualifier I gave to myself was that I wouldn’t count the word “the” at the start of a game title (ie. The Spectrum Retreat would be an S game and not a T game).

My list, my rules, I really wasn’t expecting to get close on these lists anyway. I was also only going to play games that I was interested in. I figured I had enough in my backlog to fill it out. I wasn’t going to just play easy plats even though I could probably do most of the list with hidden object games, VNs because I do enjoy these games but I had many others that I wanted to play or finish from my list of incomplete games. Not having played much in over a year, games that I had previously obtained trophies from would be started from scratch so I was still playing the full game.

So, how did my year go?  Amazingly enough, I met all my goals. I’m posting this as I have a pretty busy last week (been a very busy month) so I don’t expect to game much.

Here were my starting stats…

Started 10190 trophies

290/366 games completed, 76 not completed

2018 unearned trophies

Trophy completion - 83.62%

Trophy rarity 43.21%

KYC incompletions - 1139 unearned trophies, 40 incomplete games

Final stats…

Ended 11977 trophies

Decreased games not completed - 366/431 - 65 remaining

Decreased # of unearned trophies - 1713 remaining

Increased trophy completion - 87.62%

Decreased trophy rarity - 43.03%

Reduced KYC incompletions - 957 unearned trophies, 35 incomplete games (even with playing a new event this year)

Games breakdown

Spoiler

Plats - 45

A-Z,# - 27/27

PS5 - 4

PS4 - 29

PS3 - 3

Vita - 9

Common - 16

Uncommon - 15

Rare - 8

Very rare - 4

Ultra rare - 2

Complete DLC for 100% on previous plat - 1

Non-plats - 30

A-Z,# - 27/27

PS5 - 0

PS4 - 23

PS3 - 2

Vita - 5

Common - 2

Uncommon - 15

Rare - 9

Very rare - 3

Ultra rare - 1

What games did I finish and when?

Spoiler

Platinum

# - 11-11: Memories Retold 9/7

A - Asdivine Hearts II 3/9, Ark: Survival Evolved 3/27, The Artful Escape 6/26

B - Black Mirror 1/10

C - Candle: The Power of the Flame 7/26

D - Drowning 4/28, Destroy All Humans! 9/26

E - Everything 6/3

F - Foreclosed 7/24, Fear Effect Sedna 12/5

G - Ghost Files: Memory of a Crime 12/4

H - Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice 9/14

I - Icewind Dale 2/17

J - Just a Phrase by POWGI 8/4

K - Knightin+ 2/3

L - LEGO City Undercover 1/7, The Last Door 1/18, Lost Grimoires 5/4

- LEGO Movie:The Videogame 5/19, Lost Grimoires 2 6/12

- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 8/9

M - Mini Ninjas 5/28, My Aunt is a Witch 6/29, Maquette 7/21

N - Nightmares from the Deep 2 5/27

O - Outcast: Second Contact 9/20, Observer: System Redux 10/16

P - Persona 4 Golden 5/13, Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight 6/25

Q - Queen’s Quest 2 4/22

R - Revenant Saga 8/17

S - Song of Memories 3/20, Soul Sacrifice 4/4, Sundered 6/9, Silence 11/19

- Spiritfarer 12/1

T - Torment: Tides of Numenera 8/28

U - Uncharted Tides: Port Royal 3/1

V - Valthirian Arc: Hero School Story 11/10

W - Wild Arms 6/21, What Remains of Edith Finch 10/9

X - Xblaze Lost: Memories 10/12

Y - Yesterday Origins 4/8

Z - Zeroptian Invasion 5/18

Non-plat 100%

# - 8-bit Adventure Anthology Vol 1 5/23

A - Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders 5/15

B - Bridge Constructor Stunts 1/23

C - Child of Light 1/15

D - Doki-Doki Universe 2/7

E - Escape First 7/7

F - Firewatch 6/13

G - Grow Home 10/1

H - Home 1/24

I - Inside 8/21

J - Jurassic Park: The Intruder 9/9

K - Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded 5/16

L - Level 22 2/3

M - Mahjong 3/25

N - Neverout 6/10

O - Observation 9/16

P - Primal 7/13

Q - Quell Memento 4/12

R - Raji: An Ancient Epic 10/25

S - The Spectrum Retreat 2/22, Space Explore 4/27, SOMA 10/12

T - The Turing Test 7/3, TorqueL 10/28

U - The Unfinished Swan 9/29

V - Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York 7/31

W - WordHerd 4/17

X - Xeodrifter 9/1

Y - You Are Being Followed 10/24

Z - Zenith 4/12

So, the ‘the’ factor only ended up affecting one item as the only 100% ‘U’ game I completed was The Unfinished Swan.  Every other ‘the’ was covered off by a game with a straight up list, so that was pretty cool.

While I did play some games that I bought this year, I only bought 1 game specifically for this event and that was Zenith. I will say that I had a few games which were very pleasant surprises, meaning I didn’t really have any expectations going into playing them. I played many other games which were very good but those I had higher expectations going in. 

My pleasant surprises were…

Spiritfarer - a cozy management game about death that just blew me away with the quality and depth of its storyline. I think it may actually be my favourite game I played during 2022

Zenith - yep, the one I bought specifically because I needed a non-plat Z. A little action RPG of sorts with again, a story that totally subverted many traditional RPG tropes. Laughed out loud a lot and I really don’t do that often anymore.

The Artful Escape - just a beautiful game both in appearance and spirit. Not horribly challenging but I was totally drawn into it

Observation - not your traditional puzzle game but doing a point and click where you had to use cameras and the images they showed to follow out a great story (this looks like a trend, eh)

Observer: System Redux - a great 1st person adventure/action/stealth game with a crazy story, an awesome SF noir look and Rutger Hauer voicing your protagonist. Sounds great and was.

So, a busy year but it was nice to game a lot again. Just being able to keep my attention on things for both long and short periods again was a plus. Still thinking about some new goals for this year.

I hope everyone had a great 2022. It’s been tough all around for a lot of people and it’s nice to remember that our hobby will still be around for once the important stuff in life has time to move to the backseat.  Everyone keep well and never forget that you are not alone out there, even when it feels like it, and that there’s help out there if you need it. 

Take care everyone!

Edited by Kevvik
  • Like 2