Gwent cards, a bit easier?

ArtMontef

So, I just got trophy for getting all Gwent cards, collected them all from 0, fresh save file, and I was surprised about two things:

-Gwent guy (elf from circus near the Carsten village) usually has few DLC cards for sale. This time he had much more cards, including some from base game. It cut few gwent matches from list of random cards

-cards that are now awarded from generic vendors and blacksmiths etc. seem to be truly random? In my previous 3 platinum journeys those cards were always awarded in certain order, but not this time. 

Overall I have no idea why it is, maybe I am gaslighting myself, but somehow road to getting the full deck seemed much faster and easier this time. On previous playthroughs I always ran around trying to find people to play with for last 2-3 cards, but now I have the trophy and I still have few players that I did not play with for sure

Long story short- check the elf near the Carsten village and buy cards from him. 

4 minutes ago, ArtMontef said:

So, I just got trophy for getting all Gwent cards, collected them all from 0, fresh save file, and I was surprised about two things:

-Gwent guy (elf from circus near the Carsten village) usually has few DLC cards for sale. This time he had much more cards, including some from base game. It cut few gwent matches from list of random cards

-cards that are now awarded from generic vendors and blacksmiths etc. seem to be truly random? In my previous 3 platinum journeys those cards were always awarded in certain order, but not this time. 

Overall I have no idea why it is, maybe I am gaslighting myself, but somehow road to getting the full deck seemed much faster and easier this time. On previous playthroughs I always ran around trying to find people to play with for last 2-3 cards, but now I have the trophy and I still have few players that I did not play with for sure

Long story short- check the elf near the Carsten village and buy cards from him. 

I don't think they've changed that much to the Gwent card system? When i did the previous 3 ps4 stacks at the time i always had a few vendors i didn't need to play (i think it all depends on the amount of cards you buy from vendors).

I'm not sure if they made changes to the elf near Carsten Village though, only made it to the Keira part so far so haven't had the chance to check it out yet.

14 hours ago, Jason-DFG said:

I don't think they've changed that much to the Gwent card system? When i did the previous 3 ps4 stacks at the time i always had a few vendors i didn't need to play (i think it all depends on the amount of cards you buy from vendors).

I'm not sure if they made changes to the elf near Carsten Village though, only made it to the Keira part so far so haven't had the chance to check it out yet.

Yeah, it's weird. I have done 3 stacks myself+ps5, and helped my boyfriend twice with getting all gwent cards, so got this trophy from zero 6 times, and I genuinely think this time I got these cards faster. As I said, maybe I am gaslighting myself somehow here and I just *feel* like it is the case. The only thing I am sure about is Carsten elf, he used to have only Hearts of Stone cards, but not anymore. 

I've seen someone play it recently on youtube and I noticed a gwent difficulty slider in the settings.

I don't remember a setting like that when I first played it on PC on release and then went for the plat on PS4.

I could be wrong though.

8 minutes ago, Doom said:

I've seen someone play it recently on youtube and I noticed a gwent difficulty slider in the settings.

I don't remember a setting like that when I first played it on PC on release and then went for the plat on PS4.

I could be wrong though.

Yeah there has been a difficulty slider for gwent which won’t invalidate the death march trophy. I used it every time. How easy will gwent become? You crush the noble guy in Vizima and blood baron with your starter deck.

1 hour ago, ArtMontef said:

Yeah, it's weird. I have done 3 stacks myself+ps5, and helped my boyfriend twice with getting all gwent cards, so got this trophy from zero 6 times, and I genuinely think this time I got these cards faster. As I said, maybe I am gaslighting myself somehow here and I just *feel* like it is the case. The only thing I am sure about is Carsten elf, he used to have only Hearts of Stone cards, but not anymore. 

If you never buy/play any gwent and you arrive in Toussaint, innkeep of cockatrice OR innkeep at the tournament sells a lot of cards. I never check what are the cards, but I think they are from other innkeeps.

I think I will start a new run today to check if gwent collection is getting easier

Edited by archangeltw_

On 27.12.2022 at 0:02 PM, archangeltw_ said:

Yeah there has been a difficulty slider for gwent which won’t invalidate the death march trophy. I used it every time. How easy will gwent become? You crush the noble guy in Vizima and blood baron with your starter deck.

If you never buy/play any gwent and you arrive in Toussaint, innkeep of cockatrice OR innkeep at the tournament sells a lot of cards. I never check what are the cards, but I think they are from other innkeeps.

I think I will start a new run today to check if gwent collection is getting easier

This. This might be the case, I went there before playing any gwent matches and that's why he probably had more cards for sale ?

I never knew that! This might shorten playtime for other people by few random matches

I think there are 66 total random players iirc, with only 55 random cards i think it is.

Some of those random cards can appear at select merchants as well I think.

Also, sometimes saving/reloading at a merchant can make additional cards appear. One of the first merchants in the game is susceptible to this, you can buy all the cards, then save/reload and an extra Decoy card will appear.

• Like 1

Also, I know all guides show different numbers, some say 120 unique, some say 190 unique, but according to the OFFICIAL guide...

There are 155 unique cards and 223 cards in total from the base game. The base game may actually appear to have more, but a lot of these could have been included via patches.

I guess that 155 unique comes from the base game on 1.00 of the vanilla version.

I think when I get to reworking this game, I may play on Xbox to begin and study the achievement tracker as it progresses after each card. Only way to be sure which do and do not count, just hoping there is a tracker for those. Xbox achievement trackers are a great tool for guide makers, but I dont think it gets used enough, even by primarily Xbox guide makers!

Edited by Optinooby

1 hour ago, Optinooby said:

Also, I know all guides show different numbers, some say 120 unique, some say 190 unique, but according to the OFFICIAL guide...

There are 155 unique cards and 223 cards in total from the base game. The base game may actually appear to have more, but a lot of these could have been included via patches.

I guess that 155 unique comes from the base game on 1.00 of the vanilla version.

I think when I get to reworking this game, I may play on Xbox to begin and study the achievement tracker as it progresses after each card. Only way to be sure which do and do not count, just hoping there is a tracker for those. Xbox achievement trackers are a great tool for guide makers, but I dont think it gets used enough, even by primarily Xbox guide makers!

Just gone through and counted my cards, only card i don't have is the new Roach one which is irrelevant for the trophy. Here's what I counted;

3 decoy
3 commanders horn
3 scorch
3 biting frost
3 impenetrable fog
3 torrential rain
3 clear weather
10 neutral
40 monster
37 nilfgaard
38 northern realms
37 scoia'tael

Plus 5 leaders for each of the 4 base factions, however I believe only 4 are from the base game and 1 for each was added later, so that adds up to 199.

I didn't add any others that I know to be DLC, so here's the numbers for those too;

41 skellige + 2 leaders

Olgierd Von Everec, Toad, Schirru, Gaunter O'Dimm x4, Cow, Roach. = 9.

4 Leaders, 1 for each base deck I believe were added in later.

So every card I have, which I believe to be all except Roach is 254, or 255 with Roach.

4 hours ago, WitcherScotty said:

Just gone through and counted my cards, only card i don't have is the new Roach one which is irrelevant for the trophy. Here's what I counted;

3 decoy
3 commanders horn
3 scorch
3 biting frost
3 impenetrable fog
3 torrential rain
3 clear weather
10 neutral
40 monster
37 nilfgaard
38 northern realms
37 scoia'tael

Plus 5 leaders for each of the 4 base factions, however I believe only 4 are from the base game and 1 for each was added later, so that adds up to 199.

I didn't add any others that I know to be DLC, so here's the numbers for those too;

41 skellige + 2 leaders

Olgierd Von Everec, Toad, Schirru, Gaunter O'Dimm x4, Cow, Roach. = 9.

4 Leaders, 1 for each base deck I believe were added in later.

So every card I have, which I believe to be all except Roach is 254, or 255 with Roach.

Were they all acquired on vanilla base game on 1.00??

There may have been 223 on the vanilla 1.00, but then 20+ or more were added free amongst the multiple updates.

This is why I need to use the achievement tracker on Xbox, as some cards may not even count. Im just going by the trophy which states 'Base Cards Only'

8 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Were they all acquired on vanilla base game on 1.00??

There may have been 223 on the vanilla 1.00, but then 20+ or more were added free amongst the multiple updates.

This is why I need to use the achievement tracker on Xbox, as some cards may not even count. Im just going by the trophy which states 'Base Cards Only'

Oh yeah, all on the latest version, but that above is accurate too for the version before the recent update as I've done this game 3 times this year, but yeah, definitely not accurate for the v1.00.

I feel like I remember some of the special cards like weather, decoy, etc. have had more added since the game released, like there were only 2 of each initially and 1 of each was added in later, but I could be misremembering that.

5 hours ago, WitcherScotty said:

Oh yeah, all on the latest version, but that above is accurate too for the version before the recent update as I've done this game 3 times this year, but yeah, definitely not accurate for the v1.00.

I feel like I remember some of the special cards like weather, decoy, etc. have had more added since the game released, like there were only 2 of each initially and 1 of each was added in later, but I could be misremembering that.

Thanks for the info mate. 

There was a free update as well that give some free cards, its there with the NG+ add-on and such.

i cant bring myself to pay £20 for the Xbox version just to find out it has no achievement progress trackers.

im thinking off trying to just get only the 154 cards in the Official Guide and seeing if that pops the trophy with none others. ive got a lot of experimentation ahead of me

• 2 weeks later...

also if you're like me and still missing some after buying cards and playing gwent with every npc you've come across: try visiting the people you've freed (person in distress map markers). some of them play gwent or even sell cards after they've returned to their homes. got my last one from one of the freed npc's after visiting them in Claywich