Don't listen to the reviews!!!

Titanomachy_75

I lost many brain cells reading this thread

Anyway only played a bit of this so far, will probably get back to it after platting Dead Space 2 and but I’ve already experienced a bit of the godawful combat and I can’t see it moving up in my estimations.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

or buy it, beat it that day, go get your refund. lol. Thats what i did.

yeah I could do that. I've done that before for other short games. It's just a pain because then I basically have a limited time to play and I already don't like horror games so I'd be rushing through something I might actually find kinda scary (yes I am a baby). I'm ok with waiting for the library as it's not high on my priority list, just something to check out if it was free/super cheap.

• Like 1

On 28.12.2022 at 3:21 PM, medenko1975 said:

Maximum is too hard.

No NG+

All collectable are missable

Bad saving points.

So let me get this straight, you want:

Maximum to be piss easy, blast it with inf ammo and guns? 

NG+ is coming february. 

(alot of games gets ng+ after release, example to this is horizon zero dawn and ghost of tsushima, prob many others to. Find something else to complain about.) 

You want all collectibles to be in plain sight? 

Bad saving points??? You can save every minute if you want to, even on max dif.  

Looking on youre account, you dont even complete your games. To me youre just a internet troll that comments just to comment and annoy ppl. 

• Like 1

On 30.12.2022 at 2:18 AM, ChibsSoA said:

First of all, I'm not going to get into story specifics because that's spoiler territory. If you didn't like the story, that's fine. There's nothing to explain, it's pretty surface level. Some people are going to like it and some are not. I do not have to justify why I enjoyed the story, it's subjective.

I'm also not going to counter argue every single point anyone makes. You can take my opinion as my review of the game, it's not on me to discredit anyone else's stance. I am simply giving my own stance.

Secondly, whether you played on max difficulty or not, your opinion is your opinion. My argument to those who did not enjoy the game and also played on casual was that they did not get the same experience, and didn't play the game to it's full potential (which is how we should be judging games). How do you think Elden Ring would have fared if there was an "easy mode" where people could steamroll it? You got the same experience as me on maximum, you are still allowed to not like it. You also presume/project a lot here. I never once said that my opinion matters over anyone else's. I quite literally said that people should not listen to anyone in this topic and form their own opinions, and that includes myself. My entire post was a counter argument to give an opposing stance to prove there was vast subjectivity when it came to this game being good or bad. A majority saying its bad doesn't factually make it bad. A minority saying it was good doesn't make it factually good.

Your problem is you either shared his opinion and got offended at it being challenged, or just jumped the gun because you didn't like the tone. My posts were defenses to the notion that people's standards are bad if they enjoyed it. The "cool story bro" can equate to "yeah right" because I wasn't buying his (clear) lie. If you didn't like the tone, oh well. I didn't like his tone in the first place to insinuate that I must have shit taste because I enjoyed it. Also the things you say about tenseness, that's again, very subjective. I found this game to be just as tense as silent hill 2, which I had recently replayed and found myself with plenty of manual save locations every few minutes. But again, nothing you said there was factual, just your own personal opinion. A lot of your criticisms in paragraph 3 are literally describing Silent Hill 2 and Dead Space.

I still stand by everything I said - that many out there are bandwagon hating and many are hating on a game they either felt cheated on price/length, or played it on easy and weren't challenged at all. That doesn't mean that EVERYONE who didn't like it fits that bill. You are quite literally just doing the exact thing he did, and trying to argue that if you enjoyed the game your standards must be low (because you're implying it didn't meet your standards). Or just generalizing/presuming and acting like I was saying my opinion was fact when I literally never said anything of the sort.

I don't care if people enjoyed it or hated it. I care that people are judging a survival horror for its combat and lack of difficulty after having played it on its easiest difficulty. If you didn't like it after playing it on maximum, that's a perfectly valid opinion. You can at least judge it, IMO, to the fullest potential. For survival horror games, they are meant to be played on harder difficulties historically. Resident Evil's, Dead Space, Silent Hill, etc. are wildly different games on casual. The survival aspect is lost if you're handfed items, and the horror element is lost if you're plowing through. If people played it on maximum and still hated it, all the power to them. But people cannot speed through a game on easy and then complain combat was boring or that it never felt like anything was at stake.

If you feel it's overpriced for the length, or too short, I share your sentiment. But we do not determine the quality of a movie based on its length, or the quality of a piece of artwork based on its price. I felt it was somewhat easy on maximum security, so yeah, anything less to me is going to be "baby mode" because anything easier just seems like barely any difficulty. I'm not judging anyone if they want to play on "baby mode", but it is objectively a much easier time. My mention of that was to just say that certain people played the game a certain way and that onlookers should factor that into their opinion when looking at topics like this on a recommend/stay away kind of basis. Survival horrors typically only include easier modes to be more accessible to those who can't stomach a more tense and difficult (again, subjective) experience.

Judge it for what it is at its best potential, stop comparing it to other games and stop letting cost or lack of getting your money's worth factor into the experience when you are judging it. You can be salty at those things but those things should not factor into a review of the game itself.

Again, my entire post was to show that it is not factual that this is a "bad game". People can form their own opinion, but opinions will never be fact. And we should not be claiming that people's standards are low if they enjoyed something a lot unless it was objectively shit, which this was absolutely not. I never once crapped on someone's opinion of it being a (in their opinion) bad game. Not once. All I did was say some are judging it through a watered down version of what the developer intended (so that they could get their platinum faster/easier). And if you still hated it after playing the intended difficulty, you're allowed to hate it

The 2nd it gets known theres a diffculty glitch and the plat is suddently a 2/10 in diff. All these my name is mayo or easy plat ppl jumps on it. 

I hate that this glitch ever existed. In february hardcore with permadeath is coming. All these so called completionists wont be able to get 100% completion in it. I hope the perma is like wolfenstein 2 and not like TLOU2 BS! 

But i agree with you. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DividedByMankind said:

So let me get this straight, you want:

Maximum to be piss easy, blast it with inf ammo and guns? 

NG+ is coming february. 

(alot of games gets ng+ after release, example to this is horizon zero dawn and ghost of tsushima, prob many others to. Find something else to complain about.) 

You want all collectibles to be in plain sight? 

Bad saving points??? You can save every minute if you want to, even on max dif.  

Looking on youre account, you dont even complete your games. To me youre just a internet troll that comments just to comment and annoy ppl. 

I disagree on the save points. Manual saving is pointless as it doesn't save your current position. It just defaults you to the last checkpoint, which is what the autosave does. There are also some sections where the checkpoints are scarce and can lose a lot of progress if you die

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

I disagree on the save points. Manual saving is pointless as it doesn't save your current position. It just defaults you to the last checkpoint, which is what the autosave does. There are also some sections where the checkpoints are scarce and can lose a lot of progress if you die

Yeah ppl should play dead space 2 on hardcore. For plat. So i dont understand why ppl complain about saving in this. Its extremly genorous compared to alot of other games. 

Just my opinion about it. 

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

The alternative is manual save points in the world, where you would be even more restricted in saving. They would not be nearly as frequent as all the auto save points showing up in the bottom right corner allowing a "save point". I don't get the logic on this one from you guys complaining about it whatsoever. Implementing a manual save wherever you want kind of system would trivialize the game even further. You lose a few mins (at most) when you die like any other game. Big deal

Edited by ChibsSoA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DividedByMankind said:

Yeah ppl should play dead space 2 on hardcore. For plat. So i dont understand why ppl complain about saving in this. Its extremly genorous compared to alot of other games. 

Just my opinion about it. 

Nice whataboutism, this isn't hardcore on dead space 2 where the whole mode was designed around 3 saves.

49 minutes ago, ChibsSoA said:

The alternative is manual save points in the world, where you would be even more restricted in saving. They would not be nearly as frequent as all the auto save points showing up in the bottom right corner allowing a "save point". I don't get the logic on this one from you guys complaining about it whatsoever. Implementing a manual save wherever you want kind of system would trivialize the game even further. You lose a few mins (at most) when you die like any other game. Big deal

Complaining about complaining isn't helping your case at all.

I finished the game recently and it's not as bad as some make it out to seem, but it's not good either. The game is just painfully average. It doesn't help that some parts of the story are so predictable either

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 1

Reviews are completely meaningless without context of the reviewer. If I don't know what you normally consider good or bad, then your review is worthless to me.

There are some people who absolutely love anything that even remotely hints at Anime. I don't. I'm the biggest JRPG/Final Fantasy fan of yesteryear, but anything 13 and up I have found to be utter garbage. I can't stand anime melodrama and terrible turn-based dialogue with exaggerated expressions, so you should take my opinion of FF7 Remake with a grain of context. I absolutely hated it, but others love it.

Same with this game. It sounds like an average 6/10-7/10 based on the collective opinion. From Dead Space fans/Sci-Fi horror fans, I hear more in the range of 4-6/10. From just standard horror game fans I hear about 6-7/10. From people who don't usually play these types of games I hear 6-9/10.

I'm somewhere in between a Dead Space/Sci-Fi fan and a standard horror game fan, so it sounds to me like it'll be very much so worth it at about $20-30. Even better, free on PS+/Extra. I'll wait.

OK.  I didn't listen to any reviews... and I have a lot to say about this game.  I don't really care what reviews say.  If something interests me, I play it.  Everyone "hated" Duke Nukem Forever, but I loved that game and had a ton of fun playing it.  Anyway...

I've seen the term "unplayable" tossed around loosely quite a bit, but this game truly was an unplayable mess.  I admit, the negative reaction to the game did influence me to try something I don't normally do, which is play games on version 1.0 if there is a patch available.  I'm sure everybody here is dealing with not having as much time as they did when they were younger, so the extra 8 to 10 hours needed for another playthrough is a killer, especially when you are not enjoying the product.  I took the risk of ruining my enjoyment for the game by playing on version 1.0 to save precious time, and it looks like my gut feeling was correct.

I usually start games on graphics mode before switching to performance mode to see the difference.  I couldn't believe that the game was seemingly running at 10 FPS right off of the bat.  The frame rate was so horrendous that I immediately tried to switch to performance mode, but I couldn't.  You have to quit out of the game to switch it from graphics mode to performance mode.  So how did the game run in performance mode?  60 FPS (maybe) with tons of drops in frame rate, and guaranteed slow down after playing for about 5 minutes to where it will inevitably crash.  Auto saves are supposed to be a good feature in video games, but not this game.  As many other have mentioned, auto saves seem to be a trigger for this game to crash.

The gameplay and combat system are absolutely terrible.  You can tell that the combat was based around the dodging gimmick.  Even with fully-upgraded weapons on EASY, I could never take down a single enemy charging at me, meaning I was forced to do the stupid dodging mechanic and then melee him to death.  Notice how I said single?  If there is more than one enemy attacking you, then there is no reliable way to dodge one enemy then launch a counter attack without taking damage from the other enemy waiting for you to stop your dodging animation.  To make matters even worse, if you manage blow an enemy's head off with a gun, their headless body will still run after you.  What if you need to use a stimpak?  Forget it.  It literally takes the character forever to go through the animation to inject himself with the stimpak, and you don't have the option to do it in the inventory menu, like in Resident Evil 4.  So healing during a boss fight or in a combat arena is out of the question.  Another thing I was frustrated with was the lack of any sort of may or waypoints.  I can usually determine the difference between an optional path and the main path with an in-game map, so I missed out on some optional areas because I guessed wrong in which way I should go.  Not having a map is inexcusable for a game made in the last ten years.  For these very reasons, the gameplay can never be fun.

The enemy encounters seemed to revolve around locking you in combat arenas instead of dealing with them while exploring.  Not that there was a lot of tension to begin with, but very little seemed to happen in between the combat arenas.  I'm not saying that was the case for the entire game, but most of the enemies are fought in combat arenas.  This becomes problematic because inside of these arenas, there are usually a ton of moving parts on screen, such as giants fans and rotating gears, which can be used as environmental hazards.  But isn't this a great opportunity to use telekinesis, you might ask?  You would be right, but this is The Callisto Protocol version 1.0 we are talking about.  The GRP weapon would grab enemies, but drop them about 80% of the time.  You would be very fortunate if you could grab the enemy and then launch the enemy into a hazard, even 50% of the time.  I don't know if the inputs were being dropped due to the slow down or if this weapon was made intentionally bad, but it was definitely infuriating.  There are also stationary enemies in egg sacks that spring out at you that are impossible to dodge.  I even died once because I was in the middle of trying to change my weapon when it grabbed me and the triangle button (button used to break free) wasn't working because the menu to switch the weapons was still up.  I was a bit more careful the next time I approached it because I knew it was there.  I tried to peek my face out and quickly step back behind a door to bait it out, but it still grabbed me through the door anyway!  What a broken mess!

The game doesn't have an option to disable the feature that makes it harder to press the triggers.  I always disable that feature in every game because I don't want to break my controllers.  I don't know for a fact if having to use brute force to press the damn trigger causes damage to the controller in the long term (or even short term), but I don't want to find out.  It definitely feels like something that will break the trigger over time, so it should be an option to disable it in the game.

It was hard to take in any of the lore because of the lack of subtitles during audio logs and the fact that the speech audio was so quiet that I could barely even hear it.  I don't know if this was fixed in a patch, but the subtitles for the characters in general only worked half of the time and the speech audio levels seemed very low to me, even after lowering the music and SFX sliders in the mixer.

If Callisto were an ingredient, I don't feel like it was the main ingredient in this dish.  I love the planets and moons, so I was immediately hooked when I heard this game was taking place on Callisto.  However, after playing this game, I feel like it could have taken place anywhere in space or underground and nothing about the story would have changed at all.  The concept of the game had so much potential.  Even the original trailers for the game had me hyped because the enemies looked frightening.  In the final product, there are maybe four enemy types throughout the entire game, not reminiscent of what we saw in the trailers.  Maybe I have played too many of these types of games and I am desensitized to it, but my initial reaction to any enemy jumping out at me was to pummel them to death with my police baton.  I wasn't scared at any point during this game.  The scariest thing, in my opinion, were the security robots.  They way they were presented, especially early in the game, made them look invincible and that they could turn on you at any moment.  Kudos to the devs for that, I guess.

Now, you may be thinking, the worst of it is over.  It's a short and easy platinum.  Just move on.  The most sinister thing about this game has yet to come, I believe, and I think many people are overlooking this.  There is actually a $30 season pass for this s**t, and the description of what's inside has instilled legitimate fear into me.  I guess they had to scare us any way they could...  Anyway, they are talking about even an harder difficulty, permadeath and a game mode where you try to survive as many hordes of enemies as possible.  Ever since the Last of Us in 2013, I learned to never trust a trophy list with less than 30 trophies.  It can only mean ONE THING: a ton of difficult and grindy DLC trophies.

So, as of today, the complete experience for this puke is $100.  They lured us in with a cool set piece and thinking it would be anything like Dead Space.  Well, Dead Space it is not.  You can tell that this game was made by amateurs and that were riding the coat tails of an already-established franchise by name-dropping Dead Space.  Just look at how bad the fire effects are in the game.  The gameplay would still be horrendous and broken, even if it ran flawlessly at 60 FPS.  I don't usually complain about the length of games, but charging $70 for this is outrageous, especially with how short the campaign is and how badly it performs without a patch.  It was especially jarring, since I just finished playing an incredible game in Persona 5 Strikers, which only has a version 1.0 (or so it says on the main menu).  And remember, if you don't have an internet connection, all you are left with is verison 1.0 to play.  Even though Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart was a short game, I still feel like it was a $70 experience.  The season pass content contains content I despise, so it will more than likely have trophies, forcing me to suffer through this game even more.

In conclusion, all I can say is... It was mediocre.  I have played worse, but the fact they are charging $70 makes this nearly unforgivable.  It's like charging $120 for a Big Mac meal.  Sure, it's not bad, but for that price, it better be some of the best steak and lobster you ever had.  This game failed to deliver.  There wasn't an aspect about it that was good or great in any category.  It was either bad or mediocre across the board.  Maybe I had too many expectations going in and because I wanted to enjoy it so badly, that I am so worked up over it.  I don't usually write reviews for bad experiences, but this one could not be ignored.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Maverick6146 said:

huh.. normally when ppl resort to "experience of the full potential of the game in highest difficulty", it means the lower difficulties are badly designed or implemented.

In this particular instance, there is no apparent difference in difficulty other than “make the numbers bigger.” Encounters are the same so far as I could tell… the only difference is that on Maximum Security, the enemies take roughly twice as much punishment and do roughly twice as much damage (or upgrade from doing ridiculous damage to just flat-out insta-kill.) Maybe the ones with tentacles evolve faster? Not sure on that one, especially since the timeframe from “popping tentacles” to “full heal and eat your face” is already extremely short on normal anyway.

The game as a whole is badly designed and most concepts within are poorly implemented. Though I’m sure someone will jump up to tell me that I’m wrong or somehow hurting the dev’s feelings by saying so. ??‍♂️

• Like 1

or listen to the critics im playing the game atm and can say it is not good in any stretch of the mind i tend to like the more niche games and seing the reception of this and looking at short gameplay clips made me think it might actually be for me but then i started playing it...it looks good it can feel good at some times but gameplay wise its a game that should of came out 10 years ago and i would'nt recomend it to anyone.

On 12/27/2022 at 6:37 PM, Titanomachy_75 said:

Im sure they will learn from the mistakes and the next story should be a blast.  

Isn't this the same team that made the original Deadspace? That game was amazing! If this game has mistakes I can't imagine them learning from them. They know how to make a good game.. Maybe they tried a different direction? I don't think these were mistakes though. 

This game surprised me with its amazing atmosphere and voice acting.

The combat is solid, though I cursed a few times when my melee attacks didn't hit (esp a boss!).

It does recycle enemies/bosses, but that's not everything a game is about.

(I did, however, sighed with: "THIS GUY AGAIN!)

I enjoyed my entire gametime with it.

The main character is very likeable too, which I didn't expect.. and the simple but engaging story kept me playing too.

A solid 8.

• Like 2

The size of the text is equally proportional to my interest in NOT reading it.

I gave my two cents about the subject a couple posts ago. 

People shouldn't determine what other people should or should not play. 

Edited by ARIXANDRE
Because I can't be bothered
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SuchRemorse said:

Isn't this the same team that made the original Deadspace? That game was amazing! If this game has mistakes I can't imagine them learning from them. They know how to make a good game.. Maybe they tried a different direction? I don't think these were mistakes though. 

There are four people on Callisto's team who had previously worked on Dead Space. Schofield himself, co-creator of Dead Space; one of the producers of Dead Space and Dead Space 2, an animation director, and a video production director. That's roughly 1/4th of the base staff from the first game, only one of whom with any confirmed actual work on the blood and guts of the game and its functionality. Schofield has previously gotten cranky with interviewers claiming that there was a certain amount of executive interference that led to Dead Space being the way it was and that Callisto is "closer to his vision" of what he originally intended for Dead Space... it is thus entirely possible that a lot of the things that make Dead Space good were not actually the result of the individuals who would go on to make Callisto. Your mileage may vary, of course, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

3 hours ago, ARIXANDRE said:

The size of the text is equally proportional to my interest in NOT reading it.

I gave my two cents about the subject a couple posts ago. 

People shouldn't determine what other people should or should not play. 

I agree that people shouldn't make determinations for others. But providing their opinion is perfectly valid. Where I tend to get a little snippy is when people want to find unrelated reasons why someone's opinion is invalid, dismiss criticism (or praise, for that matter) out of hand, or give generic "it's really good, guys" or "dude, this sucks" statements. If someone feels their opinion is important or worth sharing, I don't think it's too much to ask for someone to explain how they came to that opinion, and putting up innumerable "well you didn't do it <x> way" or "you're <y> type of person," just putting a blanket ignore on whatever the criticism was, or resorting to ad hominem attacks doesn't do that.

Worse than Deadspace 3 ..... enough said!

39 minutes ago, Ashande said:

Dead Space being the way it was and that Callisto is "closer to his vision" of what he originally intended for Dead Space...

So his vision was trash!!!??? Glad EA stepped in because Deadspace 1 and 2 are some of my favorite games.....  I don't know what happened with 3 though. That game is garbage.

• Like 1

The original poster is right in one sense. 

Don't follow the reviews. 

The godfather 2 video game got mediocre reviews. 

But I loved  it. 

Left 4 dead 2 got amazing reviews.

But I hated it. 

With that being said, check things out by renting from your local library, or checking out demos/trials. 

But also, the reviews for this game are more or less accurate in my opinion. I commented in another post, so to keep it slim. Disappointing, the characters were way too generic/predictable. (I loved that isaac never had a voice in Dead Space, it gave way for more tension. I hope his dialogue doesn't affect the tension in the remake.) And way way too linear. It was either

A) follow this path and hit up the side rooms 

Or

B ) here's a fork in the road. One gives you a loop around back to the main path for some side loot area. Or it's the main path and you miss out. Good luck!

So don't base your entire judgment on reviews Like a sheep. But gather as much info as possible and make your own decision. 

If you ask me? As a lover of single player campaigns type of games?

Wait until it's on sale for at MOST 30USD (what ever that translates to if you don't live in the USA) or else you'll have buyers remorse like me.....I even paid for the 90 dollar version for the dlc ?? .... sigh......

That's all I'm saying. 

• Like 1