how will PS5 games look on a HDTV 1080p?

rockstarjazz

i havent got a 4k TV and cant afford one yet...

if for example i played god of war ragnarok ps5 on the HDTV, will i still notice any graphical superiority compared to playing its ps4 version on the same TV?

or will the difference be next to nothing, given the resolution?

my tv's framerate is 60 i think.

thanks

They look fine. The better framerate already gives some games a more stable, pristine quality, and honestly, even when I play on a 4k TV, I prefer performance modes on lower resolutions, it’s perfectly acceptable. Most PS5 ports have better shadows and other minor improvements. Otherwise, they look very similar, but even if you have a 4k TV. It doesn’t matter. At a couch viewing distance, you’ll more likely appreciate the vast improvement that comes with 60 FPS.

• Like 2

Obviously it won't look as good as if you were playing on a really nice OLED and/or 4K panel, but it will still be more than serviceable. PS5 games should still look better than the average PS4 game played on the same TV. 

The most important thing is that you're having fun and enjoying your time playing said games. The 4K TV can wait. 

• Like 4

I most often play on a 1080p monitor due to space constraints at the spot where I game the most and it's fine. 

As far as I know, PS5 supersamples the image to the screen's resolution, so if you play a game that renders a 4k image, it will render at 4k and then downsample to 1080p. I've played some PS4 and PS5 versions of the same games on the same screen and sometimes the difference is very noticeable, like much less aliasing on the PS5 version despite looking at a 1080p output. 

You're losing on all the qualities that a modern 4k TV can bring obviously, but other than that, PS5 versions tend to look better and crispier on a 1080p screen because of the higher resolution being rendered internally.

In your example, god of war will look better, but not significantly like it would on a good 4K TV. The real difference will be in frame rate and things like lighting/shadows. If you have the PS4 Pro already, you might not even notice a huge difference either. Some games native PS5 version looks a lot better, others doesn't. It varies from game to game. Most of the changes are going to be seen in lighting and frame rate. Textures will look better, but nowhere near as good as they would on a 4K TV.

If you can't afford a TV, go for a monitor. For $200 you should be able to get something halfway decent that does 4k 60 FPS. For $300ish you can definitely get everything a PS5 can offer in terms of graphics and framerate (up to 120fps). Also, do not cheap out and get a crap TV just to say you have 4K. You'll regret it in the long run. A lot of manufacturer's make complete junk, and even known brands have junk in the cheaper models. I would save up $700-1000 for a good TV in the 50" range when you're ready to buy.

PS3 also did 1080p, so if you have the same game on both somehow you can probably see a difference there. Not something like last of us that was fully remade for PS4, but something like dragon age inquisition that co-exists on both. Then you can see what we're talking about somewhat.

My two cents is it sounds like you're on a heavy budget, so go with a PS5 first. Then sell your PS4 and put that money towards a good monitor and settle for a smaller screen to get the graphics you want. Then when you can afford it, sell the monitor and get a proper TV.

Edited by ChibsSoA
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, poker_1987 said:

Theres no decent 4k displays yet anyway 

I third questioning this. They've had solid 4K displays for quite a while now. I got my KS8000 back in like 2016 and don't think I will even need a new one for another 5 years unless 8K becomes a huge thing (it won't). Older models like mine might lack 120FPS/VRR, but I have a monitor that can do that stuff too in the same graphical quality.

Edited by ChibsSoA
  • Like 1

I don't see any real noticeable difference between a 4k and 1080p TV. My roommate had a $2,000 4k Sony TV, and I had no idea it was 4k until he told me after we had lived together for months. It just didn't really look any different than mine. How good or bad a game looks is generally more on the quality of the actual game more than anything.

The PS5 versions of games seem to run better overall and do sometimes look better than their PS4 counterparts, but that's probably because it's optimized for the console.

33 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

I don't see any real noticeable difference between a 4k and 1080p TV. My roommate had a $2,000 4k Sony TV, and I had no idea it was 4k until he told me after we had lived together for months. It just didn't really look any different than mine. How good or bad a game looks is generally more on the quality of the actual game more than anything.

The PS5 versions of games seem to run better overall and do sometimes look better than their PS4 counterparts, but that's probably because it's optimized for the console.

The only way you wouldn't notice the difference is if his was huge (60"+) and you were way too close. Or if his TV was calibrated insanely poorly, or if it was really old and doing upscaling 4K or something and not true 4k? Otherwise you would have to be legally blind to not see a huge difference. If you were looking at a PS4 game and it didn't have a 4K resolution mode, that would also explain it. Or a PS4 that's not a pro - non-pro's cannot do 4K. Something is off in what showed it to you, or your eyes lol

The first time I saw true 4K after being on 1080 for years it was an incredible difference. If it was proper 4K, and you sat them side by side you would 100% notice it clear as day. While the hardware/game does matter, you can easily turn 4K on and off within any game that supports it and see the difference.

Edited by ChibsSoA

Just now, ChibsSoA said:

The only way you wouldn't notice the difference is if his was huge (60"+) and you were way too close. Or if his TV was calibrated insanely poorly, or if it was really old and doing upscaling 4K or something and not true 4k? Otherwise you would have to be legally blind to not see a huge difference. If you were looking at a PS4 game and it didn't have a 4K resolution mode, that would also explain it, because it would only be showing in 1080p. The first time I saw true 4K after being on 1080 for years it was an incredible difference. Others can attest.

It's the opposite. Sitting too far away is what makes it harder to tell. It was true 4k, he paid extra on streaming services for it. That's how I found out, because he was talking about how expensive it was but and how "worth it" it was. Which I thought was funny, given I can't really tell the difference. And it's not that uncommon. Sure, when put side by side it's noticeable, but when seeing a 1080p game/show/whatever on a 1080p screen, it doesn't really look any better to me than seeing a 4k game/show/whatever on a 4k screen. What does make a difference is the quality of the display. Another thing to consider is that some 4k TVs are OLED. OLED looks way better than plasma or LED. A lot of people don't realize that's what's actually making it look better, rather than the resolution.

24 minutes ago, Man of Inaction said:

When I went to a 4k screen with the PS5 the only thing I noticed was text was smoother/more readable. The games themselves look the same to me. I think every game on PS5 is required to have a steady 60 fps on 1080p, but can't remember where I heard that. 

Unfortunately, here's no such requirement officially.

• Like 1

On 28/12/2022 at 10:59 PM, rockstarjazz said:

i havent got a 4k TV and cant afford one yet...

if for example i played god of war ragnarok ps5 on the HDTV, will i still notice any graphical superiority compared to playing its ps4 version on the same TV?

or will the difference be next to nothing, given the resolution?

my tv's framerate is 60 i think.

thanks

Per experience you far more notice a gap in framerate than in resolution - every time a game offers a choice between performance and sheer graphics, I end up prioritising a better framerate over a handful pixels more… (for the record I play on PS4 Pro)

My brother has the same configuration than you (PS5 on a somewhat old HD TV) and even the most recent games look great on it. 

To go just a single step further, you’d almost be better off with an Oled, HDR HD monitor than with a 4K LCD one when it comes to gaming - you really need to stick you nose to the screen to notice the higher resolution while framerate and deeper colors will burst at your eyes.

So to answer the question - you may not notice a difference in sheer graphics but rather in the overall performance. With more and more games now being developed for PS5 only (or DLC, isn’t it, Guerilla?) time may be well-chosen to move to the new gen…

Edited by Neef-GT5

2 hours ago, poker_1987 said:

They just look like ass watching movies. Got a c1 and its no match for my old pioneer plasma. It's close but for movies oled isnf the best.  Ain't tried this years tvs though

I was going to pile on the original post, but yeah, 24 FPS movies on 60Hz always look a bit jittery (especially noticeable when there's panning huge vistas), no matter what settings I use (well, I'm not using the horrible motion smoothing feature), these TVs are fantastic for 60 FPS nature documentaries, but movies where the camerawork should be smooth, it's eeh.

2 hours ago, poker_1987 said:

They just look like ass watching movies. Got a c1 and its no match for my old pioneer plasma. It's close but for movies oled isnf the best.  Ain't tried this years tvs though

There are about a hundred different things to unpack from such vague statements you make, especially with how you generalize so much. 

Since the thread is about playing 4k capable games on 1080 displays, I’ll just leave your movie experience conversation here.